Maryville v. Maplewood

I have been following the Maryville v. Maplewood thread on the main board over the past week and noticed some comments like this (not verbatim quotes as I can't sort through the 30 pages of posts to find them):

"Maryville dressed out about 90 people for the game, and Maplewood only around 33. Maryville had 8 quarterbacks warming up before the game."

"We at Maryville have all the advantages that Maplewood doesn't. Active community, parental support, strong booster club, strong youth feeder system. Maplewood is an inner-city schol with all the challenges an inner-city school faces."

"There were no Maplewood fans at the game; it was a sea of red and black."

So is it safe for me to conclude that Maryville walked into the game with distinct inherent advantages over Maplewood? And that it was going to take something extraordinary (talent or coaching) for Maplewood to overcome Maryville's built-in advantages? And if I were to hold up Maryville, Maplewood, and MBA, which two would look the most alike? The two who actually played each other, or the two barred from post-season competition under the current structure.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have been following the Maryville v. Maplewood thread on the main board over the past week and noticed some comments like this (not verbatim quotes as I can't sort through the 30 pages of posts to find them):

"Maryville dressed out about 90 people for the game, and Maplewood only around 33. Maryville had 8 quarterbacks warming up before the game."

"We at Maryville have all the advantages that Maplewood doesn't. Active community, parental support, strong booster club, strong youth feeder system. Maplewood is an inner-city schol with all the challenges an inner-city school faces."

So is it safe for me to conclude that Maryville walked into the game with distinct inherent advantages over Maplewood? And that it was going to take something extraordinary (talent or coaching) for Maplewood to overcome Maryville's built-in advantages? And if I were to hold up Maryville, Maplewood, and MBA, which two would look the most alike? The two who actually played each other, or the two barred from post-season competition under the current structure.

Who was barred from post season competition? I thought all of them played in the playoffs. /biggrin.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

I think the most inherent advantage was a "dynasty" was playing a team that had a much better than average season. No matter how they have done it, Maryville has built a program that overcomes. Many schools can do the same. Will they? maybe a select few someday. Maplewood overcame much this season and had a shot. Remember, Maryville hasnt won the last 10 out of 10.

A few teams in various sports have enjoyed what Maryville has. Inherent? YEP. Unfair, NOPE.

So have a lot of teams...they haven't won 60 in a row.

Yikes! They have won 89 out of their last 90 games AND 7 of the last 8 state championships (or 8 of 10 if you want to go back another year or so).

Teams in 4A should be up in arms. There is obviously something going on at this school that constitutes an advantage. A HUGE advantage. That's just nuts. /blink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blink:" border="0" alt="blink.gif" />

Yikes! They have won 89 out of their last 90 games AND 7 of the last 8 state championships (or 8 of 10 if you want to go back another year or so).

Teams in 4A should be up in arms. There is obviously something going on at this school that constitutes an advantage. A HUGE advantage. That's just nuts. /blink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blink:" border="0" alt="blink.gif" />

up in arms? that is the most retarded statement Ihave heard today. maybe they should just bow out and let the losers play in the state, heck maybe the TSSAA should just put it on rotation and let every team get a state title, that sounds fair , then we could all be mediocre. I think you are just nuts! /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

put all the logical things aside--coaching, community, tradition, facilities, parental support, etc. When you step out on the field in a championship game with 90 players, and your opponent has 30, then I think it's safe to say you have a pretty solid inherent advantage.

The multiplier's purpose (among other things) is to account for the fact that the percentage of kids playing sports at private schools is greater than that at public schools. Maybe Maplewood is able through talent and coaching to overcome that disadvantage. But how many other metro teams can't? And what is their recourse?

Again, I'm assuming it's true. It came from a Maryville poster at the game, but I didn't see it. Maryville's roster isn't posted on coach t.

put all the logical things aside--coaching, community, tradition, facilities, parental support, etc. When you step out on the field in a championship game with 90 players, and your opponent has 30, then I think it's safe to say you have a pretty solid inherent advantage.

The multiplier's purpose (among other things) is to account for the fact that the percentage of kids playing sports at private schools is greater than that at public schools. Maybe Maplewood is able through talent and coaching to overcome that disadvantage. But how many other metro teams can't? And what is their recourse?

Again, I'm assuming it's true. It came from a Maryville poster at the game, but I didn't see it. Maryville's roster isn't posted on coach t.

There are rosters posted on tssaa.org - 4A Rosters

Maplewood has 38 players listed and Maryville has 94.

It doesn't matter the number of players or quarterbacks or cheerleaders or how many people are in the stands for each team. The only thing that matters is how each student is enrolled at each school. There are two questions that matter

1) Are they both a "closed zone" public school? If so, then they should be playing in the same division.

2) When the T$$AA divides up classes do they fit in the same "5th". If so they should be playing in the same class.

If the answer to both of the questions is yes then there is nothing to give either an advantage. If there is a no to either then someone has an advantage.

Is Maryville an open zone school?

It doesn't matter the number of players or quarterbacks or cheerleaders or how many people are in the stands for each team. The only thing that matters is how each student is enrolled at each school. There are two questions that matter

1) Are they both a "closed zone" public school? If so, then they should be playing in the same division.

2) When the T$$AA divides up classes do they fit in the same "5th". If so they should be playing in the same class.

If the answer to both of the questions is yes then there is nothing to give either an advantage. If there is a no to either then someone has an advantage.

Is Maryville an open zone school?

They are not open...but they allow tuition paying students to attend.

We had 86 players out at our little 2a school this year. It helps to have a lot of kids...but is not a huge advantage.

Trousdale's best teams have had no more than 30 players.