Dyersburg's New Head Coach

westTNFBfan

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I suppose all this controversy over who is and who isn't a legend is my fault.

Yes, I put the headline there for all to see because I truly believe James Counce is a 'legend' to those following Trojan football and simply believed the headline would further juice those up that wanted Counce back in Dyersburg, which for the most part I think it did.

However, I would be stupid not to include Ab Davis in the group of legends, but coach Davis wasnt returning to coach. If he was, the headline would have said the same thing 'The Legend Returns'.

It simply amazes me at some of the comments on this site, and I didn't do anything to knowingly start such a controversy, but more so just wanted the people and fans of the program to get excited about Counce returning.

Now that all this has come up over one word, would I do it again....absolutely.

I am not old enough to remember all the greats that have graced the sidelines locally, but I do remember Davis and his accomplishments. In my mind, he is a legend.

As for Counce, no he hasn't won a state championship at Dyersburg, but in alot of people's minds, he is a legend.

With everything going on in the world today, it seems rather stupid to have to defend calling someone a legend, but the man took a program from a cellar dwellar to a periennal power, and in my mind, yes, at least in Dyersburg, Counce is a legend.

Sorry for starting such a controversy.

No controversy in the headlines ! The headlines alone would have been just that, the spin offs on here that so often occur brought about the....... well I wouldn't call it controversy , more opinions. My intent certainly wasn't to become controversial, but simply to add another name to the list. Re:ALL the coaches named in the prior posts I'm certain that if you asked their former players, they would tell you that the championships & athletic accomplisments are minimal in comparison to the life's lessons learned through the game. You don't need to "defend" anything as far as I'm concerned! As always it was a great job IMO. Because as you said Coach Counce has become a local legend. And Santa has been good to the Trojans ! What a present to find under the tree ...... and a week early at that !

No controversy in the headlines ! The headlines alone would have been just that, the spin offs on here that so often occur brought about the....... well I wouldn't call it controversy , more opinions. My intent certainly wasn't to become controversial, but simply to add another name to the list. Re:ALL the coaches named in the prior posts I'm certain that if you asked their former players, they would tell you that the championships & athletic accomplisments are minimal in comparison to the life's lessons learned through the game. You don't need to "defend" anything as far as I'm concerned! As always it was a great job IMO. Because as you said Coach Counce has become a local legend. And Santa has been good to the Trojans ! What a present to find under the tree ...... and a week early at that !

Thanks 73... While I have a certain bitterness about Bowling leaving, I can't help but be overjoyed about the return of Counce.

If for no other reason than the fact I know how the program will continue to be successful with Counce at the top. Yes, in Dyersburg he has become a legend, hence the reason for the headline.

I look forward to seeing you soon.

Well, I suppose all this controversy over who is and who isn't a legend is my fault.

Yes, I put the headline there for all to see because I truly believe James Counce is a 'legend' to those following Trojan football and simply believed the headline would further juice those up that wanted Counce back in Dyersburg, which for the most part I think it did.

However, I would be stupid not to include Ab Davis in the group of legends, but coach Davis wasnt returning to coach. If he was, the headline would have said the same thing 'The Legend Returns'.

It simply amazes me at some of the comments on this site, and I didn't do anything to knowingly start such a controversy, but more so just wanted the people and fans of the program to get excited about Counce returning.

Now that all this has come up over one word, would I do it again....absolutely.

I am not old enough to remember all the greats that have graced the sidelines locally, but I do remember Davis and his accomplishments. In my mind, he is a legend.

As for Counce, no he hasn't won a state championship at Dyersburg, but in alot of people's minds, he is a legend.

With everything going on in the world today, it seems rather stupid to have to defend calling someone a legend, but the man took a program from a cellar dwellar to a periennal power, and in my mind, yes, at least in Dyersburg, Counce is a legend.

Sorry for starting such a controversy.

I understood where you were coming from, read the article last night. I also understand where others are coming from also. This board WOULDN'T be interesting if there weren't a conflict of OPINIONS.What I have found ADMIRABLE about your articles in the last year is you have held yourself ACCOUNTABLE when you were wrong and STEADFASTLY stood by what you have written.That is appreciated from a reader! /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

The only legends are the fathers of all the great young men who play the beloved sport, not some mere football coach. The people who usually proclaim this type of nonsense typically never played the game. Good men- often yes. Legends not any more so than the teachers, ministers and all positive role models of the community. Way over-hyped.

This thread has gotten way off track, BUT I just had to respond to this one.Some of the young men you speak of don't even have fathers (other than biological). In addition, most coaches ARE teachers. Also there are bad ministers, bad teachers & negative role models. Same goes for football coaches, but the coaches mentioned in the previous posts have had a positive influence on the young men that you speak of (I can assure you that). To some of the young men you speak of their "Coach" is the ONLY father figure they have. I was blessed with having the same Coach/father & mentor all rolled into one. Having been there I can tell you that many players came to & still come to MY COACH for advise & seeeking influence regarding many facets of life. If you are a father maybe you feel threatened by the relationship that your son has with his coach, or maybe it's just plain insecurity. If you are a mother then maybe you wish that your son had the kind of relationship with his dad that he does with his coach. Maybe YOU never played the game at all, I don't know. A "mere football coach" ...... that indicates to me that you know very little about what a "coach" gives up for his young men. Long hours away from the family, a "good coach" treats his team like family because they are.... heck he spends as much or more time with them than he DOES with his family. Over-hyped ........ I don't think so. Did you play........ have you ever made the sacrifices that a successful coach or even a struggling young coach makes or has made? What you need to do is to follow a coach for about a year if you can last that long. It ain't just over at 5:00 Monday thru Thursday & then GAME TIME on Friday!

I understood where you were coming from, read the article last night. I also understand where others are coming from also. This board WOULDN'T be interesting if there weren't a conflict of OPINIONS.What I have found ADMIRABLE about your articles in the last year is you have held yourself ACCOUNTABLE when you were wrong and STEADFASTLY stood by what you have written.That is appreciated from a reader! /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

I agree with you adsmom upon seeing the headline "The Legend Return' and after reading the article it was very much appreciated in my household. My two high school students came into the house on last afternoon reading your article it seems that the entire student body is very excited that 'The Legend and Company' are returning. I have heard a old cliche that goes "some people are legends ONLY in their own minds" in spite of what anyone else feels many of us in Dyersburg see Coach Counce as a Legend.....you can put as many definitions as to what a legend is as you want my final analysis will still be to call him a Legend.

I enjoy reading your articles in the paper and one of the hardest thing for anyone to do especially when they are wrong is to say I'm sorry. I remember this fall when you (Trojan1) was taking a bashing from fans because of your predictions and overlooking DC's fine team, after we were defeated by them..... the following Sunday you were quick to say how wrong you were ... you did not tuck your tail and hide you were a MAN .... and in today's world perhaps we need more people like you who are not afraid to say what they have to say and if they are right or wrong at least they have the 'Guts' to say it openly and not be afraid to say they are sorry.

really, there are even a lot more people who could be called local legends.....

mr peel is the only one i am aware of who is in the tennessee sports hall of fame......

You need to check again Mr Tucker is in the Hall of Fame. Anyone that knows football knows that. There is football outside of Dyersburg. Come on man lighten up, after all it's just a game. Remember the big picture. Can't we all just get along.

You need to check again Mr Tucker is in the Hall of Fame. Anyone that knows football knows that. There is football outside of Dyersburg. Come on man lighten up, after all it's just a game. Remember the big picture. Can't we all just get along.

we were talking about DYER COUNTY dip stick...... /hungry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":hungry:" border="0" alt="hungry.gif" />

and no, apparently we can't get along.......check your own post as an example.....

and also check the "topic"......DYERSBURGS NEW COACH.....IT AIN'T GOT A DARN THING TO DO WITH FOOTBALL OUTSIDE OF DYERSBURG......

geesh......you getting the picture???? /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

/thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

we were talking about DYER COUNTY dip stick...... /hungry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":hungry:" border="0" alt="hungry.gif" />

and no, apparently we can't get along.......check your own post as an example.....

and also check the "topic"......DYERSBURGS NEW COACH.....IT AIN'T GOT A DARN THING TO DO WITH FOOTBALL OUTSIDE OF DYERSBURG......

geesh......you getting the picture???? /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

You're the one who said he wasn't. Just trying to clarify that. It's the Christmas season, lets bury the hatchet. No hard feelings. Life is too short to be this angry. We can have a difference of opinion can't we? /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />