If Maryville Goes 60-0 in DI 5A

WarriorFan

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

my take on the original question--I agree with Brandon that no doubt, there are only a handful of teams that could beat Maryville in 5A, and that would be deep in the play-offs every year. So I expect them to have a high level of success, probably making it every year at least to the final 4 of 5A.

As for what will happen if they rip off a winning streak like their current one...I think a few people will latch onto the open enrollment thing, but not that many. Most new coaches in 5A (e.g., Smyrna's coach, Coach Rector at Ravenwood, etc.) aren't into making excuses and looking for reasons to duck people. The one who absolutely would have rasied a stink is no longer coaching in 5A. He is now coaching at Alcoa and getting his hat handed to him every year by Maryville as it is...so the funny thing to me will be watching him try to weasel out of playing Maryville every year.

I could see a scenario where if Maryville (with a relatively small number of students for 5A) started regularly beating schools with 1,000+ more students than it (e.g., Riverdale) some might start saying things like "how can you explain a small school like Maryville beating us with half the number of students! They are obviously cheating!" And then you will officially be in our world!

Yeah. Like BA. TSSAA created a new division for BA after they won it in 5A didn't they?

To me if the private schools have a multiplier, the open zoned publics should too. If they're already in 5A, a multiplier wouldn't do anything. What then? DII? Why don't we just go to a merit based system and be done with it.

I think that's what most want to know. Exactly how many Maryville football players are paying tuition? What percentage? It's a relevant question.

To my knowledge, Antwan, Maryville did not have any tuition students on the varsity football roster this year. I can't say that as a fact, because there may have been 1 or 2 of the younger players who are tuition students. I'm pretty sure that none of the starters or second teamers are tuition kids. That's why I asked the question in the first place.

Pepvol:

Your reading comprehension is poor. I never mentioned a conspiracy. Never mentioned Maryville was a coward. I am of the opinion that if Maryville felt like they could compete and win championships in 5-A they would have already made the move since their enrollment would dictate.

My point is this. The T$$AA. needs to to address public schools that accept tuition students. I am of the opinion that the fair thing to do would be to apply the multiplier to their enrollment or put them in Division II. Not just Maryville but Alcoa and any other school that accepts tuition students.

As far as Maryville being in Centrals way of winning State Championships, They are one of many schools in our way. We didn't even make the Playoffs this year. Also our inability to win state championships started way before we started playing Maryville.

As far a sad and pathetic. Putting words into someone's mouth to make your case is about as sad and pathetic as it gets.

TSSAA has already addressed the issue of public schools that accept tuition students. It ruled that as long as no financial aid is given to the tuition students, the schools may compete in the DI division.

On a related topic, local school boards decide whether their schools will be open-zoned or closed. TSSAA has nothing to do with this animal except to put forth the eligibility guidelines for transferring student athletes.

i would have liked to see maryville play south panola in ms. s. panola is a 5a school in ms that hasnt lost a game in 6 years. it's just south of memphis, tn in a town called batesville. they turn out d-1 prospects year in and year out. i'd like to see that kind of match up take place.

also, for two cents worth....public schools should have zones, and students should have to go to those schools with very few exceptions. to see these students jumping around from school to school for sports reasons is one of the crazy signs of our times.

Welll..if any of you guys get Sports Illustrated you would see the National High School rankings. At one point this year Maryville was ranked 5th in the nation...I dont get this. Some say its the longevity of their winning but be honest here. You know five teams each from Alabama, Florida, Mississippi, California, Texas could beat Maryville. The rankings that are out this year are AWFUL

Yeah. Like BA. TSSAA created a new division for BA after they won it in 5A didn't they?

To me if the private schools have a multiplier, the open zoned publics should to. If they're already in 5A, a multiplier wouldn't do anything. What then? DII? Why don't we just go to a merit based system and be done with it.

In my opinion....(everyone has one /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" /> )....I believe a multiplier for sports is fair for a tuition based open zoned public school that can pull students from anywhere.....possibly even out of state... That sounds pretty private schoolish to me. Privates who compete in DI are given multipliers......what is good for the goose is good for the gander.....

Right now, the rules are the rules, and no one is breaking them. There just needs to be a revision of the rules (again....in my opinion).

By the way....here is a post from PEPVOL.....#103 (9th page) of the Maryville vs. Miami Northwestern thread:

"Maybe when this happens , some of the DII supporters so quick to point out something negative About Maryville will realize that Maryville is the closest thing to MBA & BA in the public school DI category ..... as such , there should be a tremendous amount of mutual RESPECT ."

Pepvol, you are right. You guys ARE the closest thing to MBA and BA in the public school DI category being that you can pull from anywhere (possibly out of state) you like if the student pays tuition! You are telling the whole truth! This isn't a bad thing. I have much respect for Maryville HS. I thoroughly believe there are no rules broken, as any school would never do this without doting all I's and crossing t's...you are totally playing by the rules and there is no arguement..there is no problem because the rules are the rules......until rules are revised, if ever, you are playing by the rules handed down. I still like the sound of Maryville Academy.... /biggrin.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" /> You guys could be a part of the alphabet schools....... BA, MBA, CPA, FR, JPII, MUS, ECS, CAK, DCA, DA, DL, and now......MA! /tongue.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" />

In my opinion....(everyone has one /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" /> )....I believe a multiplier for sports is fair for a tuition based open zoned public school that can pull students from anywhere.....possibly even out of state... That sounds pretty private schoolish to me. Privates who compete in DI are given multipliers......what is good for the goose is good for the gander.....

Right now, the rules are the rules, and no one is breaking them. There just needs to be a revision of the rules (again....in my opinion).

By the way....here is a post from PEPVOL.....#103 (9th page) of the Maryville vs. Miami Northwestern thread:

"Maybe when this happens , some of the DII supporters so quick to point out something negative About Maryville will realize that Maryville is the closest thing to MBA & BA in the public school DI category ..... as such , there should be a tremendous amount of mutual RESPECT ."

Pepvol, you are right. You guys ARE the closest thing to MBA and BA in the public school DI category being that you can pull from anywhere (possibly out of state) you like if the student pays tuition! You are telling the whole truth! This isn't a bad thing. I have much respect for Maryville HS. I thoroughly believe there are no rules broken, as any school would never do this without doting all I's and crossing t's...you are totally playing by the rules and there is no arguement..there is no problem because the rules are the rules......until rules are revised, if ever, you are playing by the rules handed down. I still like the sound of Maryville Academy.... /biggrin.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" /> You guys could be a part of the alphabet schools....... BA, MBA, CPA, FR, JPII, MUS, ECS, CAK, DCA, DA, DL, and now......MA! /tongue.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" />

The City of Alcoa's City Manager is the former Assistant City Manager of Maryville. Many of you might not know it but Maryville and Alcoa share a common border and are essentially one community with two governments. Recent talks have been held about unification or a merge of services and departments. The latest discussions was to merge the two high schools. It will be called Maryville-Alcoa Senior High. It will be known by the acronym M.A.S.H.

I received this information from a friend at Cedar Ridge Academic Prep also known as C.R.A.P.

For those who don't realize it yet. The above is not true. I was going to save a thread on this for April 1st but couldn't resist. /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />