If Maryville Goes 60-0 in DI 5A

WarriorFan

Beautiful KenHawk. We are a PUBLIC school. We can take a few tuition kids each year. There is nothing in the TSSAA rulebook which keeps any other PUBLIC high school from taking tuition kids.

ksgovols, "just to be accurate" Aaron never went to Bearden High School. Anyone who played against these seniors as freshman can tell you that...unless there were two 6'5' Aaron Douglases in the same grade. Haven't you ever heard, don't believe everything you read in the News-Senseless? I read in there 2 weeks ago Les Miles was going to Michigan.

Brandon100 when our kids are working out at 5:30 am during the summers, Sonic is not open. At 5:30 am nothing much is open and that way the kids who do have jobs, have no excuse to miss workouts...

Sonic opens at 6 am.

Seriously, only 30 minute workouts? Get crackin'!! /wink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sonic opens at 6 am.

Seriously, only 30 minute workouts? Get crackin'!! /wink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

itzme looks like it's enough (60-0) /tongue.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" /> . Really it would be only 10 minutes (10 to put on your Sonic uniform and 10 to drive to Sonic). GQ must use his 10 minutes very wisely /blush.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blush:" border="0" alt="blush.gif" /> .

90+ minutes at 5:30 am can get you crackin' for the rest of the day!!!!!

no, the Burnette family lives in the City of Maryville. Starz , I believe we could sell tickets to some of these people for a tour ... what ya think? ( no dig intended on you Perdatorfan)

I should have read the post I replied to a little closer. Key word being "moved"! I want to make one thing clear I'm not into the mudslinging and only have respect for maryvilles football program. It would be ridiculous to think TSSAA is showing any favortism to any tuition school. I'm sure there is criteria in place and I bet athletics have ZERO to do with which schools are able to allow tuition students! IMO let all schools allow tuition students. Why not?

Thank you Rebel Ron for your candid and honest answer. This is no different than privates in DI......other public schools in TN do this as well. No financial aid is given.....the family pays the tuition.....no big deal....

I guess the only thing not known at this point is if any TN student can go to Maryville/Alcoa if they pay the tuition.

Govman (or anyone that knows).....what is the answer on this? Can any student in TN go to Maryville or Alcoa if tuition is paid? Do you have to be a Blount Co. resident?

The difference is that the private schools have a multiplier tacked on to their enrollment numbers. It moved alot of them up a classification (where they are still successful I might add).

I said that my beef is with the governing body that created or allowed the competitive advantage, not the schools that benefit by the rules in place.

My bad on Aaron Douglass. If you can't believe the News Sentinel, who are you to believe? The Maryville guys on coacht I guess? Who's the next O.C. going to be at U.T.? /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

The difference is that the private schools have a multiplier tacked on to their enrollment numbers. It moved alot of them up a classification (where they are still successful I might add).

My bad on Aaron Douglass. If you can't believe the News Sentinel, who are you to believe? The Maryville guys on coacht I guess? Who's the next O.C. going to be at U.T.? /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

ksgovols we heard other whiners last year when Mairvul won the TSSAA championship playing in AAA basketball, (the largest classification for TSSAA basketball), come up with other ways Mairvul had an advantage. When your at the top in two major sports the wind really blows hot and hard.

ksgovols when we find out who the new O.C. is going to be we'll put it on here and not charge you 50 cents to find out, like the Senseless /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" /> .

ksgovols we heard other whiners last year when Mairvul won the TSSAA championship playing in AAA basketball, (the largest classification for TSSAA basketball), come up with other ways Mairvul had an advantage. When your at the top in two major sports the wind really blows hot and hard.

ksgovols when we find out who the new O.C. is going to be we'll put it on here and not charge you 50 cents to find out, like the Senseless /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" /> .

I wouldn't know. I'm a 2A fan in football and basketball, but I wonder what the difference would be if you had to pull your team from a defined boundary like 90% of the public schools in Tennessee do. From a 2A perspective, in my county which has 3 schools, if any of those schools could pull the better athletes from the other 2 in county schools, it would make a huge difference. If our baseball team would have had the hard throwing lefty and the power hitting first baseman from the rival in addition to the team that we had that went to state, we could have won state. A girl from one school moved with her parents to an apartment in the school zone of another school and rented their house for a year so that their daughter could play on a team that was going to state. That school forfeited all the games in which she participated in.

I just think there's an inequitable application of the rules across the board. That's not a disparaging remark towards the Mairvul fans. It's a disparaging remark towards the TSSAA for allowing it to happen at a few schools and not allow it at others. To apply a multiplier for one set of schools because they don't have a boundry and not to others even though they charge a tuition for out of boundary students. If it's going to be 'anything goes', just say 'anything goes'. Don't put any restrictions or multipliers on anybody and hand out the Gold Balls to the ones that end up winning the games. Put MBA and Ensworth and Christian Brothers in the public school mix and settle it on the field instead of addressing only one set of schools and ignoring what another set does.

I appreciate any news from the alma mater, although I've long since quit paying for any of it. If I can't find it on line and for free, I'll just wait until it's over to find out.

I just think there's an inequitable application of the rules across the board. That's not a disparaging remark towards the Mairvul fans. It's a disparaging remark towards the TSSAA for allowing it to happen at a few schools and not allow it at others. To apply a multiplier for one set of schools because they don't have a boundry and not to others even though they charge a tuition for out of boundary students. If it's going to be 'anything goes', just say 'anything goes'. Don't put any restrictions or multipliers on anybody and hand out the Gold Balls to the ones that end up winning the games.

I appreciate any news from the alma mater, although I've long since quit paying for any of it. If I can't find it on line and for free, I'll just wait until it's over to find out.

That's just it ksgovols. Mairvul was in the largest classification in basketball..... AAA. Whether or not a mulitplier would have been in effect, it would have made no difference since AAA is the largest classification for basketball. Yet there were still those throwing darts after Mairvul won in basketball.....Like I said the wind (hot air) blows hard at the top of the flag pole.

Why not get your school board to vote to open the boundaries in your county?

Fulmer lives in Mairvul and we'll find out about the O.C. and let you know. Steve Caldwell and Dan Brooks also live close to some friends of mine in Mairvul too.

Can anyone who lives in the state of TN go to Maryville or Alcoa if they pay the tuition or does a student have to live in Blount Co. ?

Brandon I don't know for sure.

But if someone from Nashville, who likes to get up early, has a good 40 time, can get daddy's lear jet to drop them at the Knoxville airport everyday, get a quick shuttle to MHS, and be to class on time....then I'll pull all the strings I can to see if we can get 'em in!!!!!!!!

That's just it ksgovols. Mairvul was in the largest classification in basketball..... AAA. Whether or not a mulitplier would have been in effect, it would have made no difference since AAA is the largest classification for basketball. Yet there were still those throwing darts after Mairvul won in basketball.....Like I said the wind (hot air) blows hard at the top of the flag pole.

Why not get your school board to vote to open the boundaries in your county?

Fulmer lives in Mairvul and we'll find out about the O.C. and let you know. Steve Caldwell and Dan Brooks also live close to some friends of mine in Mairvul too.

I'm not throwing darts at Mairvul basketball, but again, I wonder how many of their players that helped them win the state championship live out of boundary and how that might affect other public school systems with closed boundaries. Some of the other teams in the state were probably one player away from having a team that would win state. If that player was just across the zone, things might have been different. Nothing against Mairvul, but unless all the school systems in the state open up their boundaries, the playing field is less than level. That seems pretty obvious to me.

I can tell you that if the boundaries were opened in our county, there would be mass exodus from school to school between athletes seeking the better program in different sports. There would be transfers galore, people trying to hook up for car pools since I'm assuming out of zone students have to provide their own transportation. It would skew the building program which is based on census data gathered within the boundaries. In short, it would be chaotic. I can easily see why school systems don't allow open zones.

I was kinda hoping Caldwell and Brooks would go with Cutcliffe.........

Can anyone who lives in the state of TN go to Maryville or Alcoa if they pay the tuition or does a student have to live in Blount Co. ?

This doesn't exactly answer your question but it might help.

This is on the Maryville City Schools website under About Us then click Tuition Analysis

FALL 2007

Total district wide enrollment: 5012

Total tuition student enrollment: 275

% of total enrollment: 5.47%

136 at MHS

48 at MMS

26 at MIS

24 at FHE

22 at SHE

17 at JSE

2 at FCE

School districts are required to accomodate teachers children in the school where the parent teaches.

Historical facts:

In 1988, 23.80% of MCS student enrollment was tuition based

In 1998 we had 12.30% tuition student enrollment

This year, we have 5.47%

Current annual student tuition is $1,900.

This is from the MHS Tuition Student Application

Policy:

Non-resident students may attend as tuition students in Maryville City Schools subject to the following rules and regulation:

(1) That space is available at the time of attendance and that said attendance will not cause that class in that grade in that school to exceed the maximum allowable enrollment set by the School Board.

(2) That the custodial parent or legal guardian of said tuition student agrees to provide transportation to and from said school during the term of tuition attendance.

(3) That tuition is paid at a rate approved by City Council by resolution and administered under the rules set by the School Board. Rates are subject to change, as approved by the School Board.

(4) That after meeting the above listed criteria, tuition students will be allowed to attend City of Maryville Schools based on the following priority:

Priority 1: Children of teachers in Maryville City Schools in accordance with state law.

Priority 2: Children of non-residents who own property in the City of Maryville

Priority 3: Children of non-residents employed by the City of Maryville

Priority 4: Children of non-residents who have siblings already in Maryville City Schools

Priority 5: All others

Tuition requests received before April 1 will be randomly assigned priority numbers within each category. Requests received after that date will be added to the list in the order received. The Director of School or his designee will determine the final assignment of students.

The school system shall have the right to reject the application of any student who fails to demonstrate a satisfactory academic and attendance record and who does not exhibit good citizenship qualities. Students expelled or suspended from other schools shall not be accepted without prior written approval by the Director of Schools. A tuition student who in the judgment of the principal fails to maintain these standards will be removed from the Maryville City School System.

Maryville City Schools does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, age, gender or disability.

Date of Application ________________

Priority #___________________(as listed in item #4 above)

Full name of student___________________________________________________________________

(Last) (First) (Middle)

Grade student will attend_______________ Birth: Month_______Date_____Year_________

Special education services required_______________________________________________________

Tuition Application:

Parent/legal custodian/guardian name: ______________________________________________________

Full address where parent lives: ____________________________________________________________

Home phone: _________________ Business phone (father)______________ (mother)________________

Refunds: The following guidelines will be used:

1. A full refund of tuition payment will be issued if a student withdraws during the first five days of the term.

2. A 50% refund will be issued if a student withdraws during the remainder of the first six weeks.

3. No refund will be issued if a student withdraws after the first six weeks.

Payments: The following guidelines will be used:

1. If a student enrolls during the first six weeks of a term, 100% tuition payment is due.

2. If a student enrolls during the second six weeks of a term, 75% tuition payment is due.

3. If a student enrolls during the third six weeks of a term, 50% tuition payment is due.

4. Tuition must be paid before the first day of attendance.

Tuition rates: The following tuition rates have been set by City Council:

?⤠2007-2008 school year - $1,900

Payment must be made by the first day of each term or the first day of the school year if paid annually. If payment is not received on the designated day, your child will not be allowed to attend.

I have read the school??™s policy relative to tuition students and agree to the terms as stipulated. I understand that misrepresentation of information on this form will result in the student being removed from the Maryville City School System.

School Year: _________________

Date: __________ Parent Signature: __________________________

Date: __________ Parent Signature: __________________________

cation:

I'm not throwing darts at Mairvul basketball, but again, I wonder how many of their players that helped them win the state championship live out of boundary?

I was kinda hoping Caldwell and Brooks would go with Cutcliffe.........

The answer to your first question is NONE. They all live in the Maryville City limits. Mairvul must do a pretty good job managing their 'chaos."...... Looking at the athletic and academic success they've had.

Do you also want Phil to go with Cut?