If Maryville Goes 60-0 in DI 5A

WarriorFan

Easy answer......AIN'T GONNA HAPPEN.

If Maryvil were as good as they thought they were then they would have moved up 2 years ago. Why claim to be the best and stay 4A?

Big fish, not the biggest pond. At least play some DII teams in the regular season. Start with Webb, then maybe McCallie, and Ryan. After that, see how goes it with the big boyz from mid TN.

Smyrna is 5A. Wilson Central 5A. We step up.

man I wish Maryville had the guts to play in the division the TSSAA told them to like smyrna and wilson central.

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK guys, this is my last thread of the year regarding football. Today, I was posting with Pepvol, and had a thought.......what if Maryville goes 60-0 in 5A? What will be the outcry of DI schools? What will the TSSAA member schools do to try and get them out of DI? Will they try to send them to their own league (by themselves)? Will they try to throw them to DII by saying they have kids going there out of zone and that they pay tuition to attend? This is a VERY serious topic. Let's hear some discussion.....

If Maryville continues their dominance in 5A. (The classification they should be in.) I will give them the credit they deserve. They will have proven they are indeed the BEST football program in the state.

I have been pretty vocal about Maryville being/playing in the classification they should be in. Alcoa is in the same boat. I am sure there are many others as well. All schools that accept tuition students should either be D II or apply the multiplier. This isn't Maryville's fault. It is an oversight by the T$$AA. These schools have the same advantage of the privates without the same restrictions. They can bring in students from anywhere if they are willing to pay a very low tuition nothing compared to private schools. So I think the T$$AA should take a long hard look at so called public schools that take tuition students and reevaluate how they will classify these schools in the future.

As far as Maryville playing D II they would dominate. Playing 5A would be a different story. I think that the Coaches/Administrators realize they would not dominate 5 A like they have 4 A. That is the very reason they are putting off the move. Matter in fact I will be very surprised if they make the move the next reclassification. In my opinion they will find a way to avoid the big boys.

my point is teams tend to cycle every few years with athletes and it will depend on what region MHS ends up in and their cycle of athletes. IMHO they could have won it all pretty handily in 05 and 06 this year who knows?

I could not have said this any better (but I can say it loooonger).

Moving to 5A will not make Maryville any worse. They will have fewer truly weak opponents, but Maryville will still be Maryville. They will be more susceptible to the cyclical teams. During our run of dominance we've seen several teams that had a "special" group of boys who were able to make a great run that ended with the Rebels. At 5A, where teams draw from larger talent pools, those runs may be strong enough to overcome the Rebels. However, WB had one of those groups, and they still didn't have enough. We'll just have to see.

But remember that Maryville has had some special groups too.

Someone said that Maryville fans regularly predict that we would dominate anyone in TN. Let me say this: I've never seen a thread started by an MHS fan speculating on those dream matchups or claiming our dominance. On the contrary, we often jump on those threads to defend ourselves, make statements about how we have dominated (note the past tense which implies verifiable facts rather than sheer speculation) in 4A and extrapolate that we believe we could play with anyone, anywhere. We don't start this stuff, but we do believe in our team. So, looking back at what is no longer in doubt (our teams over the years) I will say that I thoroughly believe that MHS has had a couple of years in which they would have won state in 5A. Will they win it when they get to 5A? I don't know, but I don't think they are suddenly going to fall to state of mediocrity.

These schools have the same advantage of the privates without the same restrictions. They can bring in students from anywhere if they are willing to pay a very low tuition nothing compared to private schools.

As far as Maryville playing D II they would dominate. Playing 5A would be a different story. I think that the Coaches/Administrators realize they would not dominate 5 A like they have 4 A. That is the very reason they are putting off the move. Matter in fact I will be very surprised if they make the move the next reclassification. In my opinion they will find a way to avoid the big boys.

First of all, I wouldn't say that they have the "same" advantages. I won't speak on behalf of Alcoa. I don't like Alcoa, and won't defend them. But for Maryville I will say that they have such a small percentage of student athletes who pay tuition (literally, there are only a handful on the team), that it would be unfair to lump them in with a group that has a majority of student athletes paying to play. In the spectrum Maryville falls much closer to the pure publics than they do to the privates.

Second, that is NOT the reason that Maryville has put off the move. Have you talked to the coaches about it? No. I didn't think so. Try not to speak on behalf of their motives until you have. They are not putting off the move. They are waiting for it to come, while going about business as usual. When it comes, they will be prepared. They are spending their time thinking of ways to win gold balls and not thinking of ways "to avoid the big boys."

I heard some coaches talking that Maryville would already be in 5A, but there were some schools that moved up to 5A and that left Maryville as the largest school in 4A. I think the schools were from Williams County. If anyone knows about this get back.

A little help from our friends in Williamson Co, but if I recall correctly, the school districts there require all the 4A level schools to play 5A to cut down on travel and travel costs.

I THINK this is right, or something similar, but I am not 100% sure. If anyone has the correct answer, let me know.

First of all, I wouldn't say that they have the "same" advantages. I won't speak on behalf of Alcoa. I don't like Alcoa, and won't defend them. But for Maryville I will say that they have such a small percentage of student athletes who pay tuition (literally, there are only a handful on the team), that it would be unfair to lump them in with a group that has a majority of student athletes paying to play. In the spectrum Maryville falls much closer to the pure publics than they do to the privates.

Second, that is NOT the reason that Maryville has put off the move. Have you talked to the coaches about it? No. I didn't think so. Try not to speak on behalf of their motives until you have. They are not putting off the move. They are waiting for it to come, while going about business as usual. When it comes, they will be prepared. They are spending their time thinking of ways to win gold balls and not thinking of ways "to avoid the big boys."

I think most closed zoned schools wish they could 'literally take only a handful of players' and add them to their roster. I don't care what division or classification they wind up in, but the open zoned publics need a multiplier if the private schools need one. 5A won't be 4A. Neither would Division II-AA. I think you have to be there before you'll know what you'll do.

If Maryville continues their dominance in 5A. (The classification they should be in.) I will give them the credit they deserve. They will have proven they are indeed the BEST football program in the state.

I have been pretty vocal about Maryville being/playing in the classification they should be in. Alcoa is in the same boat. I am sure there are many others as well. All schools that accept tuition students should either be D II or apply the multiplier. This isn't Maryville's fault. It is an oversight by the T$$AA. These schools have the same advantage of the privates without the same restrictions. They can bring in students from anywhere if they are willing to pay a very low tuition nothing compared to private schools. So I think the T$$AA should take a long hard look at so called public schools that take tuition students and reevaluate how they will classify these schools in the future.

Did not know maryville and alcoa accepted tuition students. There are non-privates in the mid-state area that accept tuition students as well. You are making the accusation that maryville benefits from this, particularly in football. Curious, if so, do you have specific instances?

Golfendude I can see the next thread now."what does everybody think about Maryville recruiting golfendudes grandkids" /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

That was funny .. Hey i like you REBS you know it too. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

So , In other words you think there's a big " Coward Conspiracy " going on at Maryville . The coaches and administrators at Maryville high are evil and diabolical and are the only thing standing between your school ( Knoxville Central high school ) winning in 4A every year ? Interesting theory there Redandblack63 .

Since you're brave enough to make these accusations in a public forum against real , live people , why don't you let us all know who you are and what proof you have of this diabolical , evil , conspiracy going on at Maryville high school ? There's nothing sadder or more pathetic than a grown man trying to invent excuses for their team getting beat . For Central's sake , I sure do hope that you're not very influential at your school .

That was funny .. Hey i like you REBS you know it too. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

Hey Golfendude , if you have any younger boys that look like your son in that pic you used to have on coachT , we could probably arrange free Garbige servus here in Murvul ...( just keep this secret though , We have a slueth on our tails that would rival Matlock , Inspector Colluso , and Columbo all in one .... goes by "Agent Double O Redandblack63" .... Afraid he may be getting close to finding out about our cowardly ways !! )

See Starsnbars for more details !! /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> `