If Maryville Goes 60-0 in DI 5A

WarriorFan

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is Burnette a tuition student? I saw him play in both last year and in this years championship games and he is as pure a quarterback as I've seen. So if he is a tuition student maryville football greatly benefitted by accepting tuition students. On another note, I was introduced to Burnette and Douglas at the Mr. Football banquet after they were presented their respective award. It was a pleasure meeting them. Both were gentlemen and very humble!

no, the Burnette family lives in the City of Maryville. Starz , I believe we could sell tickets to some of these people for a tour ... what ya think? ( no dig intended on you Perdatorfan)

Exactly. I think Douglas started his prep career at Bearden.

Tuition and magnet schools either need to play with a multiplier or there needs to be a merit based system in place.

Unreal , where do all of you guys come from ? Geez .... Believe it or not , Brent Burnette & Aaron Douglas's families moved to Maryville .... I know , scandalous , isn't it , how dare they MOVE !! Neither one was ever a tuition student ..... I just can't imagine why a parent would want to move to Maryville , uh , besides being at the very top academically and athletically every year .

Build it and they will come .... or sit back and whine about it ... and they will leave /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> . Seriously , you losers keep on thinking that there's some secret , illegal reason that Maryville keeps on winning .... and more than likely , we will keep on winning . Oh , don't pay no attention to those dozens of teenage boys out there in the middle of the summer at 6am running steps every day .... uh , it's just a weird initiation thing going on .... /roflolk.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflolk:" border="0" alt="roflolk.gif" />

If Maryville continues their dominance in 5A. (The classification they should be in.) I will give them the credit they deserve. They will have proven they are indeed the BEST football program in the state.

I have been pretty vocal about Maryville being/playing in the classification they should be in. Alcoa is in the same boat. I am sure there are many others as well. All schools that accept tuition students should either be D II or apply the multiplier. This isn't Maryville's fault. It is an oversight by the T$$AA. These schools have the same advantage of the privates without the same restrictions. They can bring in students from anywhere if they are willing to pay a very low tuition nothing compared to private schools. So I think the T$$AA should take a long hard look at so called public schools that take tuition students and reevaluate how they will classify these schools in the future.

As far as Maryville playing D II they would dominate. Playing 5A would be a different story. I think that the Coaches/Administrators realize they would not dominate 5 A like they have 4 A. That is the very reason they are putting off the move. Matter in fact I will be very surprised if they make the move the next reclassification. In my opinion they will find a way to avoid the big boys.

Hey Chuck , have you not figured it out yet? no one really cares what you think. You seem to know sooo much about WHAT MARYVILLE does and why maybe tyou should be the director of schools here. Ithink , sir , that you are the coward and that you are just tired of getting that little hiney spanked. First of all what sense would it make for someone to send their kids to MHS and not live there? Economically it makes no sense, whay pay taxes one place and tuition another?. Seriously your jealousy is unrivaled and quite sickening. People move here because of what they get for their $$$ in all aspects. Keep spewing your venom and hate. KMA CHUCK!

Unreal , where do all of you guys come from ? Geez .... Believe it or not , Brent Burnette & Aaron Douglas's families moved to Maryville .... I know , scandalous , isn't it , how dare they MOVE !! Neither one was ever a tuition student ..... I just can't imagine why a parent would want to move to Maryville , uh , besides being at the very top academically and athletically every year .

Build it and they will come .... or sit back and whine about it ... and they will leave /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> . Seriously , you losers keep on thinking that there's some secret , illegal reason that Maryville keeps on winning .... and more than likely , we will keep on winning . Oh , don't pay no attention to those dozens of teenage boys out there in the middle of the summer at 6am running steps every day .... uh , it's just a weird initiation thing going on .... /roflolk.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflolk:" border="0" alt="roflolk.gif" />

I don't care about Maryville one way or the other and if a family wants to pick up and move to further a high school football career, then.......ok, more power to them I guess. Not envious and don't care in this particular instance really one way or the other. I just don't see the justification from a TSSAA point of view of dividing out the financial aid providing private schools and adding a multiplier to the non financial aid paying private schools and then letting public schools open up their zones, pay tuition, attract, recruit or whatever without regard to anything and then call the playing field level. What's a 'bona fide change of residence' to a public school that doesn't really care where you live if you can write a check? In a closed zone county it means forfeiting all of your games if your kid plays out of zone.

Just seems like a different set of rules for some than others.

I don't care about Maryville one way or the other and if a family wants to pick up and move to further a high school football career, then.......ok, more power to them I guess. Not envious and don't care in this particular instance really one way or the other. I just don't see the justification from a TSSAA point of view of dividing out the financial aid providing private schools and adding a multiplier to the non financial aid paying private schools and then letting public schools open up their zones, pay tuition, attract, recruit or whatever without regard to anything and then call the playing field level. What's a 'bona fide change of residence' to a public school that doesn't really care where you live if you can write a check? In a closed zone county it means forfeiting all of your games if your kid plays out of zone.

Just seems like a different set of rules for some than others.

I dont know about East Tennessee but in West Tennessee at Paris there is only one high school but in the k-8 there are county scgools and city school system , for a county student to go to the city school they pay a tuition just like I beleive it is in Maryville so its no big deal

I dont know about East Tennessee but in West Tennessee at Paris there is only one high school but in the k-8 there are county scgools and city school system , for a county student to go to the city school they pay a tuition just like I beleive it is in Maryville so its no big deal

A lot of city high schools do that. Funny thing is when Maryville was going 20 years without a championship no one complained about it. I bet there isn't a lot of complaints about Henry County right now. But! If they went on a tear and started winning championships then a lot of people would care. I can see Henry County with Joe Gaddis coaching them becoming a powerhouse.

Douglas never went to Bearden High School. Brent Burnett never went to Halls High School.

http://www.govolsxtra.com/news/2007/jul/17...-born-vols-fan/

from the article:

The Douglases saw the best situation in Blount County following Aaron??™s freshman year at Bearden, where overcrowding had become a concern. Subsequently, Maryville??™s academic and athletic reputation were enough to decide to move.

Just to be accurate. Went to Bearden as a freshman, moved to Maryville.

A lot of city high schools do that. Funny thing is when Maryville was going 20 years without a championship no one complained about it. I bet there isn't a lot of complaints about Henry County right now. But! If they went on a tear and started winning championships then a lot of people would care. I can see Henry County with Joe Gaddis coaching them becoming a powerhouse.

There's only one high school in Henry County. The schools he was talking about are k-8 schools. The folks in Camden, Stewart County, McKenzie and Huntingdon can't drive up to Paris, pay tuition and go to school in Henry County while living out of zone. Those folks can, however, pick up and move to Henry County if they want to. I guess that's always an option.

Just a quick note on Solomon's data that he posted (I'm not going to quote that monstrosity). I think the question that people have regarding Maryville being in 4A is that there are several schools with smaller enrollments that are playing 5A. Ravenwood and Independence are two that I noticed. The reality is that Maryville is a 5A size school that is playing in 4A due to these other schools playing in 5A. I don't know how the TSSAA works but it would seem that Maryville could have demanded their rightful place in 5A.

Seems that I remember Maryville's motives for staying in 4A centered around heavier travel requirements and possibly less revenue from a 5A schedule. As I recall, it was Maryville's decision and it was made for economic reasons, not competitive reasons. My understanding was that they could have opted to move up.

I think that Maryville-Riverdale semi-final game would be a heck of a gate (and a heck of game) for someone. I like the economics of that!!

I'm kind of like some others in that I won't really believe Maryville's moving up until I see it. I wasn't aware that they had players that were paying to go to school there...that was news to me. That would seem to be a competitive advantage and also would allow a school to massage their enrollment numbers to a degree.