Quarles interviews at UT

Solomon

I can't believe I'm the first to post this.

http://www.govolsxtra.com/news/2008/jan/15...nterviews-vols/

Quarles interviews with Vols

By Drew Edwards (Contact)

Originally published 05:11 p.m., January 15, 2008

Updated 05:11 p.m., January 15, 2008

Maryville High School coach George Quarles interviewed with Tennessee on Monday about the possibility of becoming the Vols??™ tight ends coach, a source close to the situation told the News Sentinel on Tuesday.

Quarles, who has guided Maryville to four consecutive Class 4A state championships, spoke with newly hired offensive coordinator Dave Clawson on Friday about the position before officially interviewing on Monday.

Tennessee needs only a tight ends coach to complete its offensive staff. The Vols have already hired three coaches this offseason, including Clawson, wide receivers coach Latrell Scott and running backs coach Stan Drayton.

Quarles, who won a national championship as a wide receiver at Furman, has been head coach at Maryville since 1999. He began his coaching career as a graduate assistant with the Division I-AA Paladins.

Another potential candidate is former Tennessee graduate assistant Jason Michael.

Michael, now the assistant tight ends coach with the NFL??™s New York Jets, was a defensive graduate assistant at UT in 2004.

He also coached with the Oakland Raiders before joining the Jets??™ staff.

He graduated from Western Kentucky in 2002.

Tennessee could announce its final hire by this weekend.

Drew Edwards covers University of Tennessee football. He may be reached at 865-342-6274.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't believe I'm the first to post this.

http://www.govolsxtra.com/news/2008/jan/15...nterviews-vols/

I'll say this much if any high school Coach it ready to move to the next level he would be my first choice. I know the BIG MV would miss him but look what all he has done for you. Best of luck to you George /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

They have been talking about this for nearly two weeks on the Tennessee boards!

The rumor is along with being the tight ends coach he would be guy to signal in the plays from Clawson.

I think everyone in MV are holding their breath waiting to hear what happens. I personally wish the best for George. He and his staff are the highest quality coaches and great men. The possibility of GQ leaving for the college level has been a possibility for several years, and he will make the decision that is best for his family. I have been looking forward to my sons playing for this group of men, and hopefully by the time they are at MHS GQ will still be there, but if not, the rest of the staff will step up and continue to hold MHS to the high standards they have created. Good luck in your decision George, and I'll pray for you as you make this tough decision.

It's really a coin flip as to what he will do...at least he wouldn't have to move huh?

PT- you can always send your kids "across the bridge"! /wink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

This last time we moved we were looking for a house either in MV or Alcoa. We have many friends in Alcoa and hear nothing but good things about the schools. It just happened that the house we found that best fit our needs was in MV where we are also very happy with the schools. My kids play football, soccer, baseball, and wrestle. It's nice that in the youth leagues they are playing with and against kids they will face in middle school and high school from Alcoa and the county schools. I think that's why people outside of Blount Co don't understand it when MV says they don't want to change their game schedule because playing AHS, WBHS, and HHS means so much to all the kids involved.

I think everyone in MV are holding their breath waiting to hear what happens. I personally wish the best for George. He and his staff are the highest quality coaches and great men. The possibility of GQ leaving for the college level has been a possibility for several years, and he will make the decision that is best for his family. I have been looking forward to my sons playing for this group of men, and hopefully by the time they are at MHS GQ will still be there, but if not, the rest of the staff will step up and continue to hold MHS to the high standards they have created. Good luck in your decision George, and I'll pray for you as you make this tough decision.

Excellent post ATCPT. I agree with every word. I have daughters who are students at MHS and they say that's the subject on everyone's mind.

I have relatives playing for them now. As good of coaches as they are, the "great men" comment means more to me.

If GQ were to leave, reckon Mairvul might be able to attract a few big name applicants, especially with an AD title open too???

Excellent post ATCPT. I agree with every word. I have daughters who are students at MHS and they say that's the subject on everyone's mind.

I have relatives playing for them now. As good of coaches as they are, the "great men" comment means more to me.

If GQ were to leave, reckon Mairvul might be able to attract a few big name applicants, especially with an AD title open too???

My blood still runs a lot more UT orange that Rebel red, and I hope he gets offered and takes the job. It would be a great transition into the college game for him, esp with Douglas going in. I had not heard what Sequatchie said, but that does not surprise me at all. I would dare say that he would probably be fairly instrumental in developing game plans and might have a little more say so than most realize on gamedays as well. The guy just knows what to do on the offensive side of the ball and when to do it.

This like everything GQ does is a smart move. Position Coach now and that WILL open more jobs for him in the future in the College ranks. I know some have said on here he is a likely future HC at one of the colleges in east Tn, but no matter how successful one maybe at the High School level most colleges will not hire one to be their HC.

If this is what GQ truly wants then Good Luck to him and I truly hope he gets it as he IS a class act. Lord knows UT does need some more good adult Christian leadership.

Good Luck Coach GQ! /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />