9AA Tourney

CPA4Ever

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is the dumbest post I've seen.... he was using an analogy, not comparing football teams.

I don't think Sports4life missed the stupid analogy. He chose to ignore it. He took the words "football" and Lipscomb and made an opportunity to brag about our State Champs. I would have done the same thing. That's what we do, brag on our teams just like everyone else! We use any opportunity we can get to do so.

In my opinion, any team that has to resort to holding the ball/stalling during a Championship Game does not belong there. The TSSAA needs to institute a shot clock of a reasonable time of say 45 seconds. That is plenty of time to set up a play and eliminates the wart on High School Ball. For those who would say that it is a High School Tradition or whatever, remember that there used not to be a 3 point shot and the girls played 6 on 6. Those changes turned out ok.

Shot clock not only about tradition, but about cost, maintenance, standardized placement and expertise in keeping the shot clock. Talking more expense and more personnel. Many schools see budgets too tight as it is, don't want to mess with shot clocks.

Shot clock not only about tradition, but about cost, maintenance, standardized placement and expertise in keeping the shot clock. Talking more expense and more personnel. Many schools see budgets too tight as it is, don't want to mess with shot clocks.

Agreed. Don't think it will happen for TN HS.

I agree about the cost issue but there should be some kind of understanding when it comes to this tactic. Of the 20+ CPA games I've seen this season...none of them consisted of this. Tuesdays atmosphere wasn't boring but when you've come to see a CHAMPIONSHIP basketball game or any game for that matter and one of the teams holds the ball for 4 minutes...its dissapointing! Then when it happens for a second time, all you can do is feel like your being cheated. IMO that's why so many CPA fans have had so much to say about it.

I'm a CPA fan and I didn't have a problem with Lipscomb's or CPA's strategy, for the most part.

Lipscomb did not hold the ball when CPA was in the man-to-man. They ran a very effective spread offense, taking Z away from the basket, and letting their best ball handlers try to beat CPA's defenders (which they did quite well). When Lipscomb had the lead, CPA played man-to-man. When CPA got the lead, they went to a zone (good move, IMO), and Lipscomb chose to hold the ball and keep the score low rather than attack the zone (good move, IMO).

A good coach analyzes his team's strengths and weaknesses, then his opponents's strengths and weaknesses, then devises a plan that he thinks gives him the best chance of winning. This goes on before and during the game (the plan may change as the game progresses). The coach's obligation is not to do what the fans think he should, but to win the game. Those who win are considered good coaches and the fans are happy regardless of the game plan.

The only question I have asked myself is that when Lipscomb was in the spread offense, why didn't CPA play a 4 man man-to-man, and let Z park near the basket (play zone) to take away the drives? I wonder if Lipscomb in that scenario would have let Z's man just stand out front and hold the ball. Thoughts?

I don't think Sports4life missed the stupid analogy. He chose to ignore it. He took the words "football" and Lipscomb and made an opportunity to brag about our State Champs. I would have done the same thing. That's what we do, brag on our teams just like everyone else! We use any opportunity we can get to do so.

Congratulations... but we weren't talking about football so please dear god shut up.

Girls have been using it in AAU for years and the expense is not near what you would think. I tend to think it has more to do with tradition than anything.

No where in there did I say that the game was boring. Holding the ball at half court and everyone in the gym including the players staring at the clock waiting for it to get down to 7 seconds IS boring. But then there is a great 7 seconds of action, I just wish we could have seen 4 minutes in each overtime rather than 1 shot.

This is cut and pasted directly from your own original post (#133):

"And it is the offense's job to score. It's not against the rules to hold the ball in TSSAA, but it is BORING and was obviously not the intention when the rules were created." (emphasis added)

I thought by using the word BORING that you were saying it was, in fact, boring. How could I have possibly misunderstood that?

Oh, and again, we all got the football analogy. It just didn't make sense.

This is cut and pasted directly from your own original post (#133):

"And it is the offense's job to score. It's not against the rules to hold the ball in TSSAA, but it is BORING and was obviously not the intention when the rules were created." (emphasis added)

I thought by using the word BORING that you were saying it was, in fact, boring. How could I have possibly misunderstood that?

Oh, and again, we all got the football analogy. It just didn't make sense.

"boring" was used only in referring to the act of holding the ball. never in there did i say that the game itself was boring. In fact, it was the most exciting game I've seen this year. (minus the holding the ball parts)

clear now?

So you "got the analogy", but "it didn't make sense"? Speaking of not making sense...

-- Z is a great player, but one player does not win a District and go undefeated (ask Station Camp with Jenkins).

One player can put you over the top and Mason is that type of player. One reason is because no other district 9AA team had a way to match up with him. Just one of those years and may be the same way next year. In some ways your comparison applies, in another way it does not. District competition is a factor and Station Camp has White House in their district, do they not? Jenkins is more perimeter and a post player always affects the defensive end more than a perimeter player.