District 11AA Tournament

oakwood

The Bolivar/Dyer County game I saw was a lot closer than the final score for most of the game. They are very good, but not as good as they were in the Chism and Kemp days. McNairy Central came in second in that district and beat Harpeth in a game where Coach Wilson jerked his starting 5 out of the game for all of one quarter and part of another to get their attention in an early season game. Trey Carruthers then scored 23 points in the 4th quarter alone to make it a game. They can be beaten. Haven't seen Chester County or Southside to know what they have. I do like the way Harpeth is playing right now. They've worked out some of the kinks we saw earlier in the year and I think blowing the 18 point lead at Creekwood helped as well. We'll see. This is a better chance than our district has seen in a long while.

As far as Sycamore goes, they dress 10 because they want to. Those 5 guys on the end of the bench that carry the chairs are on the team too and there's even more where they came from. What's their JV got, 15 kids? That's why you dress 14 or 15 if you've got 'em. Harpeth played 4 or 5 freshmen in their blowout against Cheatham AND went to a zone for a good portion of the second half. Maybe it is just a contrast in styles. I like Harpeth's style. The flip side to 'working on' stuff is getting a starter injured in a game that's well in hand.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Even picking up in back court is uncalled for. When you have a 50 point lead at half, a 60 point lead at the end of three, you back off. You don't make your kids stop playing, but picking up in back court is uncalled for in a game like that. Even at half court would be. And even though Waverly couldn't catch them in the second half, a press was the only way to make a try at making it looked respectable. It will come back to bite Froedden. I'll remind you when it does too.

You ask your kids all way down the bench to play hard, but you don't put them in situations that disgrace them and your community. I would be very upset if Waverly did that to someone. Back in 04-05 when they had their really good team, if they got a big lead they backed off into a regular defense.

Good luck to everyone when the regions roll around and I tend to agree the other teams don't look really impressive, they have shown flashes, but no consistency. But Bolivar on the other hand is going to be too rough to handle. Relentless to say the least.

why didnt somebody just tell Sycamore to stop playing defense all together??? I was on the team whenever Waverly went up on Harpeth by about 25 or 30, and Waverly let off... The game ended up being a 3 point game that Harpeth should have won!! Picking up defense at halfcourt is not against the rules and neither is full court pressing. Bolivar will full court press the whole game most likely as well, so just be ready for that papa.

why didnt somebody just tell Sycamore to stop playing defense all together??? I was on the team whenever Waverly went up on Harpeth by about 25 or 30, and Waverly let off... The game ended up being a 3 point game that Harpeth should have won!! Picking up defense at halfcourt is not against the rules and neither is full court pressing. Bolivar will full court press the whole game most likely as well, so just be ready for that papa.

But Bolivar dresses about 25 kids! /biggrin.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" /> Their bench went on forever.

There's nothing wrong with playing your style of play the entire game if that's what you want to do, but you should dress more than 10 guys and play everybody in a 40 point game. Down by 25 is very different than 56-8 at halftime and a 60 point lead at the end of 3. With a 10 player bench, you've got to stick some starters in there to give the second team a blow. Maybe they won't have any legs on Tuesday. /wink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

The Bolivar/Dyer County game I saw was a lot closer than the final score for most of the game. They are very good, but not as good as they were in the Chism and Kemp days. McNairy Central came in second in that district and beat Harpeth in a game where Coach Wilson jerked his starting 5 out of the game for all of one quarter and part of another to get their attention in an early season game. Trey Carruthers then scored 23 points in the 4th quarter alone to make it a game. They can be beaten. Haven't seen Chester County or Southside to know what they have. I do like the way Harpeth is playing right now. They've worked out some of the kinks we saw earlier in the year and I think blowing the 18 point lead at Creekwood helped as well. We'll see. This is a better chance than our district has seen in a long while.

Bolivar is alot better now than they was against Dyer Co. When Rhodes was a soph, I believe he was in Sports Illustrated high school section and he was considered a top 100 or 150 Soph prospect by the recruiting services. From the Bolivar fans, he never played up to his potential since then. He don't always play hard and he has been in the coach's dog house over the past few years. Since he is a SR and if he decides to give it his all, then I would pick Bolivar to win AA.

McNairy's J.Bingham didn't play in the 1st half against Harpeth and they still was up double digits and he only played some in the 2nd half since he just got out of football, he wasn't in shape. McNairy also played alot of their players that don't see that many minutes now. They had most of their bench in when Trey started going off, so they had to bring their starters back in. But, that was at Thanksgiving and McNairy was playing better ball back then. In all of their losses except three of them, they blew double digit leads. They would get a lead and then they back off instead of trying to put it away. They usually play to the level of their opponent and this has made them very beatable.

Southside has no size but they got a bunch of guys that can leap and they are very quick. They like to press. They play really tight pressure half court defense and use their quickness to double team and overplay the passing lanes.

Chester Co is athletic but they really have about three people that score in double digits. They play hard and are a really scrappy team.

It depends if their are any upsets in 12AA semis, but I believe both #1 seeds win and the other two games are up for grabs.

Bolivar is alot better now than they was against Dyer Co. When Rhodes was a soph, I believe he was in Sports Illustrated high school section and he was considered a top 100 or 150 Soph prospect by the recruiting services. From the Bolivar fans, he never played up to his potential since then. He don't always play hard and he has been in the coach's dog house over the past few years. Since he is a SR and if he decides to give it his all, then I would pick Bolivar to win AA.

McNairy's J.Bingham didn't play in the 1st half against Harpeth and they still was up double digits and he only played some in the 2nd half since he just got out of football, he wasn't in shape. McNairy also played alot of their players that don't see that many minutes now. They had most of their bench in when Trey started going off, so they had to bring their starters back in. But, that was at Thanksgiving and McNairy was playing better ball back then. In all of their losses except three of them, they blew double digit leads. They would get a lead and then they back off instead of trying to put it away. They usually play to the level of their opponent and this has made them very beatable.

Southside has no size but they got a bunch of guys that can leap and they are very quick. They like to press. They play really tight pressure half court defense and use their quickness to double team and overplay the passing lanes.

Chester Co is athletic but they really have about three people that score in double digits. They play hard and are a really scrappy team.

It depends if their are any upsets in 12AA semis, but I believe both #1 seeds win and the other two games are up for grabs.

What happened to the 6'9 or 6'10 guy JSS had last year?? Did he graduate or did he quite. I remember that he had quite and attitude against Harpeth and he also got a T.

Guest thewaverytigerrock

hey at least papatiger got the idea that i'm thinking on the full court press. rather they were trying to help themselves and us or not it wasn't necessary.