Marshall Co. vs. Gibson Co.

mcfan10

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gibson Co. came in very overrated. They didn't play great defense. Marshall Co. was also patient against their press which comes with having 3 senior guards. Lauren March just dominated down low. Gibson wasn't very athletic, and once Marshall Co. broke the press, Gibson couldn't match up.

The bigs were the ones who couldn't match up and weren't athletic. They couldn't move well at all. In the 2nd half as Marshall Co. played safer and a little bit relaxed on defense, they started hitting open shots. They were way off in the 1st half. You could here the life being stunk out of the Gibson students, as Marshall Co. kept hitting shots.

I'm glad you think were over-rated...I'll admit, you guys were ALOT better than I expected...Don't forget that Obion Co. team that beat you by 16 points, we also beat them by 16 points. Marshall Co. shots 62% from the floor and about 65% from 3 point range. I'll bet money that Marshall Co. doesn't shoot that well every game. If so, you guys would be 34-0 EASILY. The refs were pitiful for a state tournament game. Jennilee Pate whom has fouled out maybe once this year fouled out in the 3rd quarter. Our guards are athletic as well as Heather Griffin down in the post (maybe not as athletic as #24, but there's not many post as athletic as #24 for MC). Jennilee may not be athletic but she is definately a big body to have on the floor. After seeing McMinn Central and now Marshall Co., I'll take Marshall Co. by 10 points. Good Luck!

Don't forget...that team you just played starts 2 Sophomores, 2 Juniors, and 1 Senior. We have 2 other Seniors that played a little today that being #43 Felicia Huey and #23 Mitzi Murphree. We'll be back in Murfreesboro for the next couple of years and hopefully will win our gold ball! This loss hurt but it's not the end of the world.

I saw the game....A total neutral....it was the combo of outstanding shooting and pass attack by marshall co, and I think the refs really should not have called the feather touch fouls on #55 .....every other game today the refs let the bigs push on each other She got a bad rap. 3 fouls in the first 12 mins or so. That seemed to take GC out of the game . Marshall shot lights out broke the press(that by the way didnt produce a turnover until the 2nd half.) and played better "team ball". I thought they GC should have pulled out of the press.

Should be a great Marshall, McMinn semi.

I'm glad you think were over-rated...I'll admit, you guys were ALOT better than I expected...Don't forget that Obion Co. team that beat you by 16 points, we also beat them by 16 points. Marshall Co. shots 62% from the floor and about 65% from 3 point range. I'll bet money that Marshall Co. doesn't shoot that well every game. If so, you guys would be 34-0 EASILY. The refs were pitiful for a state tournament game. Jennilee Pate whom has fouled out maybe once this year fouled out in the 3rd quarter. Our guards are athletic as well as Heather Griffin down in the post (maybe not as athletic as #24, but there's not many post as athletic as #24 for MC). Jennilee may not be athletic but she is definately a big body to have on the floor. After seeing McMinn Central and now Marshall Co., I'll take Marshall Co. by 10 points. Good Luck!

Don't forget...that team you just played starts 2 Sophomores, 2 Juniors, and 1 Senior. We have 2 other Seniors that played a little today that being #43 Felicia Huey and #23 Mitzi Murphree. We'll be back in Murfreesboro for the next couple of years and hopefully will win our gold ball! This loss hurt but it's not the end of the world.

I think I went into this game exspecting ya'll to be almost unbeatable. Refs were horrible for a state tourney game. They called picky touch fouls, then let the girls get knocked to the floor without a foul being called. Youth was also a factor. The Gibson girls played timid and hesitant for the 1st half and were out of it when they finally settled in. It surprised me that March (#24) matched up well down low. I figured two big, physical posts could give her problems, but she made them play her game. We did shoot lights out today. We won't get close to shooting that well tommorrow. Why didn't the coach pull 55 when she got the 2 quick fouls?

And please don't pick us tommorrow. I like being the underdog. I also expect ya'll to be back next year, and I think ya'll should compete for the gold ball next year.

BTW...For you "experts" that say Gibson Co. is over-rated and choke at the state tournaments....let's reflect back at the past couple of times our girls have been to state.

Today: lost today to whom I think will win the state championship. I've seen Milan and if Milan beats Upperman, Milan will have their HANDS FULL with Marshall Co. but good luck to Milan. Marshall Co., I believe, will beat McMinn Central by around 10 points.

Back in 2004: We entered the game 33-0 and played against Livingston Acadamy with Ms. Basketball finalist Katrina Beechboard. Gibson Co. lost the game by I believe 14 points in what was the closest game Livingston had through the whole tournaments.

LIVINGSTON ACADAMY ----- STATE CHAMPS

In 2002: Gibson Co. played against a Georgia bound Rebecca Rowsey and an Ole Miss bound Bianca Thomas as well as Lawana Holliday. GC simply got outplayed that game and Chester Co. busted several three's on us. Chester Co. went on and lost in the next round to the eventual state champs Jackson Co.

In 2001: GC went into the state tournaments and played against Upperman in the first round. GC defeated Upperman by 7 or 8 in a game that Upperman led at the half. GC then went onto play a VERY GOOD South Greene team. I forget whom their star player was but I remember her well. She led South Greene in a 9 point win over Gibson Co. She also led them to a gold ball

SOUTH GREENE ----- STATE CHAMPS

GC has been several times before 2001 but it's not worth going that far back. I hope you "experts" get the point I'm getting at. Excluding the 2002 year, Gibson Co. has been beaten by the eventual state champions. I'm not using this as an excuse but it goes to show you we were not the only teams beaten by these teams in the state tournaments.

I think I went into this game exspecting ya'll to be almost unbeatable. Refs were horrible for a state tourney game. They called picky touch fouls, then let the girls get knocked to the floor without a foul being called. Youth was also a factor. The Gibson girls played timid and hesitant for the 1st half and were out of it when they finally settled in. It surprised me that March (#24) matched up well down low. I figured two big, physical posts could give her problems, but she made them play her game. We did shoot lights out today. We won't get close to shooting that well tommorrow. Why didn't the coach pull 55 when she got the 2 quick fouls?

And please don't pick us tommorrow. I like being the underdog. I also expect ya'll to be back next year, and I think ya'll should compete for the gold ball next year.

Why would you expect us to be "unbeatable". We've lost 5 games this year, 6 after today. I agree the refs were pretty bad, one call being touchy and then letting people get completely knocked around. (for instance when the MC girl was knocked backwards and they called back court on her, I had to laugh). As for pulling #55, I don't know. It's not my business as he is the coach and he knows ALOTTTTTTT more than what I'll ever know. We don't exactly have the depth to just grab another 6 ft tall girl off the bench. Considering the girl from MC was extremely tall and athletic, we would not have anyone else who could match up with her besides Griffin whom also had 2 fouls. This loss today wasn't the best thing that could've happened, but it could also be used as a learning experience for Butler and Griffin as they are only Sophomores.

The bigs were the ones who couldn't match up and weren't athletic. They couldn't move well at all. In the 2nd half as Marshall Co. played safer and a little bit relaxed on defense, they started hitting open shots. They were way off in the 1st half. You could here the life being stunk out of the Gibson students, as Marshall Co. kept hitting shots.

Oh it was the bigs, that foul trouble early hurt em didnt it