Marshall Co. vs. Gibson Co.

mcfan10

Interesting first round game.. When you get to this point and you are among the Elite 8, everyone is good /dry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=" Marshall Co. has most everyone back from last year's state tourney runner-up team. yes, it's true that an opponent of Gibson Co. in 13AA , Obion Central played Marshall Co. way back in November over the Thanksgiving holidays at a tournament in Columbia and the Lady Rebs played one of their better games of the season in defeating Marshall Co. 51-35. It was probably one of the best defensive efforts the "OC" had vs. Marshall Co. BUT AGAIN, this took place over three months ago and I'm sure Marshall Co. is a much better team.

AS for GC, the Lady Pioneers are playing well despite the fact they are a relatively young club led by an outstanding sophomore in Heather Butler. Another Sophomore by the name of Heather Griffin plays

well inside. Coach McMillan and wife's main concern with this group is consistency for four quarters which you have to bring your "A" game when you get to the "BORO".. The Lady Pioneers last lost was to Obion Co. in the consolation game of the district tourney that went into overtime. They battled back from a huge deficit and defeated Milan in come from behind fashion in the Regional Finals. Pressure defense is this club's calling card and their offense will feed off of that. IF the Lady Pioneers can keep the nerves under control early in the contest and withstand the early Marshall Co. scoring with a group of veterans, I think GC will be okay in this game.

Best of luck to the Ladies of Pioneer land /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

Marshall County has had a relative easy tournament run as far as their competiition to get to where they are. They are good, but not unbeatable. IF GC is as young as you say they are it would be hard not to go with Marshall County........

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just because a team is chalked full of veteran players doesn't mean much in the post-season. We've seen this before. GC has a nice mixture of youth and some senior players. J.Pate is a Senior and her younger sister comes off the bench. Garner could be the key as she has hit some big perimeter shots for the Lady Pioneers in the post-season /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

So, as Marshall Co. may have more state tourney experience, GC could have as much if not more talent and again, play great team defense of which you need in order to make a run for the championship /flower.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":flower:" border="0" alt="flower.gif" />

Good luck to the teams and play your best..

Yes this team is on the younger side but that might just be what GC needs. GC has brought several senior heavy teams to the Boro only to come home disappointed. I see something in this bunch of young ladies that has been missing from previous teams and that is a fearless go to player that is more than just a shooter. Heather Butler is only a sophomore but she is not waiting to make her run at a Gold Ball. She is the epitomy of a floor general. She does everything the coaching staff asks her to do: she runs the offense, she creates for other players, she can shoot from anywhere on the floor, she is very sound defensively and she wants the ball in her hands when the game is on the line. Marshall Co. is a proven winner and they are looking for that Gold Ball they missed out on last year. They have the experience on their side. This should be a dandy first rd. game but I am going with my X-factor Heather Butler and the gang in a very close down to the wire game. Last team with the ball will have a chance to win it. GC by 2

I totally agree. Veteran players are not always the one's that can get the job done. As a matter of fact, a few years ago, GC took an undefeated team stacked with veteran players to the Boro and came home after the very first game. This young team is the night to that other team's day. It is amazing to see the talent and ability of the young Butler and Griffin. They get things done when it doesn't look like there is a chance. Jennings and Garner never slow down on the defensive end and both hit the 3's to turn the momentum back around. Pate is a powerhouse when she is down in the post; enough said. However, like it was said, all the teams that make it thus far have to be good because only the best of the best make it to this point. Therefore, I would never down our opponent as I am positive Marshall Co. will also be bringing their best players, plays and attempt in hopes to also carry home the gold ball. Consistancy over all 4 quarters will win this game. Earlier in the season, this would have worried me for our Lady P's but these girls have fought HARD all 32 minutes of every game they have played through these tournaments, which is when it matters most afterall. Take it to the hoop ladies and let's bring the gold ball back to GC!!!

Well, I have yet to post on this topic. Marshall Co. is obviously good as they were state runner-ups last year. This years Gibson Co. team like I said in another thread is much better than the 33-0 team we sent to state a couple of years ago. We have the coaching, speed, athleticism, size, and three point shots. I don't see either team getting blown out but see it as a 6 point game either direction. I can't say GC is going to win, which I hope they do, but I know nothing on Marshall Co. except they got blown out by Obion Central. See ya'll in the 'boro Thursday!

Watched Marshall Co. on Saturday night I am going with MC by 12. K. Mcmillan return to the Glass House want be pretty. MC is stupid, eats kitty litter, doo-doo faced and can shoot the ball...down their throat. Those things at this time of the year wins State Titles. Just like GC wins state titles. And not like doodoo Marshall.

Fixed.

You remember the movie we are Marshall. Well we are GC and we don't play. So bring it on.You remember the movie we are Marshall. Well we are GC and we don't play. So bring it on.You remember the movie we are Marshall. Well we are GC and we don't play. So bring it on.You remember the movie we are Marshall. Well we are GC and we don't play. So bring it on.You remember the movie we are Marshall. Well we are GC and we don't play. So bring it on.

Marshall County has the experience of being there last season..Gibson County is young but they are very talented and have one of the best coaching staffs in the state on their bench...Someone said something about MC being the underdog in every state tournament game last year...Winning as an underdog eventually stops...Like it did last year..GC and MC do have the one common opponent in Obion Central...The 13AA team rolled in that one...I think the 13AA team will win this one too although it won't be by 16...I say GC by 5..

Good Luck Lady Pioneers and Lady Bulldogs!!!!

Might sound pretty stupid but shooting in Murphy Center will be different than in a normal gym. I could see Marshall Co. getting an early lead because they have played in this gym before (even though it was a year ago). Gibson will settle in and hit shots, so it could come down to if Marshall Co. can get a big enough lead early.

That is def. not a stupid thought at all. However, I don't think that a team playing on a court a year ago one or two times should make just a huge difference. I think both teams have played enough ball this year and worked hard enough to be there. Should be a fair match up.

Marshall Co. shot pretty good in the 1st round last year. I think that has some to do with playing in McNairy's gym in the sub-state. A shooter knows the distance, and, as in Hoosiers, every gym is the same. I think you might see a few 3's that go way off early in the game.