Best Coaches in Knoxville Area?

catpalace

There is a Big difference. But, anyone who is in the know in this area is well aware of the attempted job hopping. This is High School Basketball in East Tennessee not the UT football search, schools don't go on regional recruiting searches for coaches, they post openings and then people apply. Whenever a girls (the CAK incident) or boys job opens up (West) its a given Wells will apply.

You are mistaken. But good observation on your part... just mistaken.

Believe half of what you see, and even less of what you hear.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As I am sure you know, there are no "zones" for the private schools. And as I am also sure you know, zoning doesn't really mean a whole lot in Knoxville with the exception of the very crowded schools. I have always been amazed at which schools kids attend after middle school. It looks like Whittles, Holston, Gibbs, South Doyle and Vine randomly feed Fulton, Austin East, South Doyle, Carter and Gibbs.

The whole recruiting thing is a complete farce. I am quite sure that most, if not all, of the coaches play by the rules. That doesn't mean that some of the parents are not active in trying to influence kids to go to certain schools, however.

Most of the kids stay in zone, but for the others who are something of basketball, they some how find their way to the schools that do go some where. In other words the Black kids mostly go to Fulton, AE or flock to Bearden. Carter is an exception. It just that they want to be with their peers. Plus you have a chance to be on a winning team that makes it worth it. Way before they are out of middle school, they pretty much know where they are going to. Its been that way and always will.

There is a Big difference. But, anyone who is in the know in this area is well aware of the attempted job hopping. This is High School Basketball in East Tennessee not the UT football search, schools don't go on regional recruiting searches for coaches, they post openings and then people apply. Whenever a girls (the CAK incident) or boys job opens up (West) its a given Wells will apply.

You are mistaken, schools do both. They accept interested applicants and they also reach out regionally to coaches to gauge interest. I'm sure Coach Wells has applied to a couple of jobs but I can guarantee that he has turned down more interview opportunities than he has accepted. Either way LC is lucky to have him at this time, so instead of complaining or believing everything you hear about him support what he is doing today for none of us are promised tomorrow.

You are mistaken, schools do both. They accept interested applicants and they also reach out regionally to coaches to gauge interest. I'm sure Coach Wells has applied to a couple of jobs but I can guarantee that he has turned down more interview opportunities than he has accepted. Either way LC is lucky to have him at this time, so instead of complaining or believing everything you hear about him support what he is doing today for none of us are promised tomorrow.

I agree completely. Coach Wells does a great job and LC is lucky to have him. He left a team that had a great chance at going to the state tourney to come to LC. I've coached several of his players in AAU and dealt with him at some camps and he is very good and his passion for the game is evident. You can't fault a coach for trying to improve his financial stability with a job move if he were to change.

Agree 100% about Ogan...he gets a lot from what he has to work with. A little known fact as well Jody Wright actually started out his coaching career at Horace Maynard H.S. which is now Union County H.S. his record there was 2-23...it was amazing how much better he became as a coach after he got to Fulton and the talent that they have year in year out. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

I'm biased because I sat on the bench with him for two years, but Ogan is very much a student of the game. Unlike many coaches who are set in their ways, Ogan is willing to take some lumps in the regular season by trying different things/combinations/strategies. He also listens to his assistants and maintains an opne mind. By tournament time, he has his teams ready to go and he knows how to win with them. A few years ago, Powell finished fifth in the district and made it to substate. He's very good and he inspires a lot of loyalty from his former players. I'm proud of his accomplishments at Powell and I expect big things from the Panthers this year.

I agree Wells is a great guy and kids love him, but he is not in the same league with the guys above. Hopefully one day, but not now.

The list above pretty much wraps up the Knoxville area of best coaches.

What planet are you on? Shane Wells is the best coach in East Tennessee! He is coaching at possibly the smallest AAA school in arguably the toughest district in the entire state. The year before he got there they didn't even win 10 games. Last year, in his first year they finished 4th in a dynamic district.

Gotta agree with you. Well's and the Panthers pulled off another great win tonight. They topped White County in the Hall of Fame opener by 9 i think. I look for Well's to be in high school coaching for a couple more years and i assume he will be looking at small colleges and progressing his career. No one can expect him to stick around in the high school ranks.

The thing that gets me about the area he is in now is that the parents are very unrealistic about their children's talent. It could be the worst i have ever seen anywhere in the state. These expectations make it very difficult to keep his team as one. That is one of the most underated jobs this guy does. You would think that LC is a hotbed for D1 talent. Those that know basketball however will be behind this guy and follow him wherever he goes. Keep it up Coach. Good luck Panthers.

I take Coach Lockard over Coach Norris any day Coach Norris has great assistant coaches and great talent

I agree with the last post you can't possibly take lockard over anybody. He has done less with more talent then anybody in the state. Just imagine if Clinton would of had a decent coach the past 11 years. They would probably have had a couple of gold balls.

I agree with the last post you can't possibly take lockard over anybody. He has done less with more talent then anybody in the state. Just imagine if Clinton would of had a decent coach the past 11 years. They would probably have had a couple of gold balls.

One of the signs of being a great coach is to hire great assistants. The best will always strive to be pushed and challenged to improve, even from their own assistants.