Single A state Champion!

TempleTrue

Even if a lot of Union City's wins were against muffins, you still have to pick the undefeated team to win it, on paper. Right now, to pick any other team would be just old fashioned patriotism, team spirit and school blindness.

I remember that 14th(?) ranked Vandy took down 1st ranked Tennessee recently, who shortly before took down undefeated Memphis. Upsets are what make high school sports that much more exciting. If UC wins the state, who really cares? Everyone expects them to be sitting in that seat, but if an underdog were to come in and get an upset win, that would be worth paying money for.

Obviously, the game has to be played, but since we are just talking smack anyway, I say that Union City chokes and goes home with nothing more than silver hardware. I know, I know, they are the most likely state champions, but what fun is it to live in a safe zone?

Tennessee Temple wins in a repeat, upsetting Mannassas and Union City. Remember folks, you heard it here first! /biggrin.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" /> (Actually, I think Temple gets booted in the first round but that is not as much fun as predicting them as the winner)

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Even if a lot of Union City's wins were against muffins, you still have to pick the undefeated team to win it, on paper. Right now, to pick any other team would be just old fashioned patriotism, team spirit and school blindness.

I remember that 14th(?) ranked Vandy took down 1st ranked Tennessee recently, who shortly before took down undefeated Memphis. Upsets are what make high school sports that much more exciting. If UC wins the state, who really cares? Everyone expects them to be sitting in that seat, but if an underdog were to come in and get an upset win, that would be worth paying money for.

Obviously, the game has to be played, but since we are just talking smack anyway, I say that Union City chokes and goes home with nothing more than silver hardware. I know, I know, they are the most likely state champions, but what fun is it to live in a safe zone?

Tennessee Temple wins in a repeat, upsetting Mannassas and Union City. Remember folks, you heard it here first! /biggrin.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" /> (Actually, I think Temple gets booted in the first round but that is not as much fun as predicting them as the winner)

Underdog Jackson County.

Underdog Jackson County.

I disagree. Temple has one senior on the whole team. Last night we started one senior, one freshman, and three juniors. If Jackson County starts more than one senior, I would say that Temple was more of an underdog. Like JC, no one outside of the Temple family thought Temple would even make it past the semi-finals in region and now here we are on the way to the Boro and the two teams that everyone said were going to make it from our region are sitting on the couch.

We have a lot in common, so, for me, it is easy to root for JC as well as Temple.

East TN's when their is a West TN sweep again this year keep your eyes dried.

Single A....If a team beats Union City and Manassas they have to be really good. Best hope is for them to match up in the 1st or 2nd round. You will be amazed when you see them. Reginald Buckner is the truth and you already know about MJ Brown

AA....let's see Mitchell(two straight championships or Haywood, Dyer County, Bolivar...that's speed, athleticism, experience, great coaching, standout players, great role players and more speed

AAA.....This is probably West Tn best chance on losing the Gold Ball. With that said you have Ridgeway who's front line is 6'6 6'7 and 6'7. Jones is excellent(UTEP) and Carter will play D-1. Quick guards, excellent defense and they have been #1 all year. Plus coach Hennings has state experience....weakness outside shooting

Then you have White Station who is peaking at the right time. Great coach plus they have Joe Jackson(top 10 player in class) and just added Farakkahn Hall( 6'8 top 60 player in 09 class)

*Anything can happen and the games must be played not typed....Go West TN

Union city has had great season, but Manassas is on another level. The teams that they lost to where Triple A teams, including state particpant Ridgeway and private school runner up Christian Brothers. Buckner is a heck of a player. At 6'8-6'9, he can do it all and I mean do it all. They have maybe the best shooter in Memphis in Eric Atkins, and one of the best scorers that I've seen in Derrick Richards. Roy McFagdon and Shawn Kearney are good players too. If they were in Triple A, they might have still been in Mufreesboro.

As usual ya'll from the West don't think anyone else can play basketball so every year we have to remind you by winning the gold. I will say that Union City is by far and away the favorite in Class A. As for who's second well who knows and it only takes one time to have a bad game and anything can happen.

In AA Dyer Co. is a very good team no doubt and i haven't seen Bolivar but they are always good. However CPA is also VERY good as is Livingston Aca. Was it two years ago that a 5-5 LA team won the state championship in 3A football? They will be a tough out and could wind up playing for the Gold ball it wouldn't surprise me one bit!

In AAA Antioch is still my pick to win it all.

You got to admit we have reason....We see a very different style of ball over here...Not many teams in the East and Middle see it...The problem some of the teams in the West face when they get to state is the style of play most Middle Tn teams play...It's more of a deliberate,half court style...Some teams from the West can't adjust when they get forced to play it....Most teams in the West want to run,run and then run some more...More teams in the West have adopted the U of Memphis double dribble drive offense....Union City has put themselves in a position where they have played those types of teams...We played Mt Juliet who although didn't have a great record gave us some problems because they were so physical...They just basically tried to push us around...We adjusted and beat them...Then Sycamore was next and they were a little more uptempo but still was more deliberate than not...We adjusted and beat them...Then we beat a very good Livingston Acd..What they tried to do was run with us and that was a mistake...They didn't have the athletes to do that for four quarters...We have had to play two very deliberate games with Lake County...Both were grind em up type games one was in the 50's and the other was in the 60's...Then we beat them in an uptempo game in the high 70's....The point being is that Union City can win games our way,uptempo run-n-gun,or we can beat you at your game...I know the last time Union City was in the state tournament in 06 they played two real easy games against Cloudland and Wayne County that both came on here saying they were going to beat Union City..Grace Baptist was a just a little better but we beat them pretty easily too..

I agree with you that sometimes a team from East or Middle will beat a really good team from the West and it will leave us over here scratching our heads...I just think alot of that also is by the time one of the West teams gets to the state level they have already played so many really good teams they have beat up on each other and don't have alot left at the end of the year...Union City for example has played both Lake County and Humboldt TWICE in the last 8 or 9 games..That's alot to ask anybody...

Speaking of 1A only here...There is NOBODY in the tournanment that has seen the level of team they will see when and if they play Manassas or Union City...Manassas early in the year was playing all kinds of tough,higher classification teams from Memphis and doing very well against them...Union City has played very tough teams outside their district and has now been in four tournaments and won them all...If they are placed in opposite brackets they will play each other for the title...If not,one or the other will win the title...

But I still say Union City will win it all this year....

A-Jackson County

AA-LA

i like this, being from livingston, yet now going to school at tennessee temple university, i'm still going to pick those two teams....although temple will be hard to beat in single a, i work in the gym so i've watched them since district so they will be really tough....look for temple to do some real damage next year, they are returning a lot of good players which means they will be just as good next year as well....and even thuogh i've not watched livignston this year, i'm gonna pick them simply because i hear good things coming from hog-eye country and given the chance, i'll drive to the boro' to watch the cats bring home the gold.....

In 37 games now, wouldn't you figure UC would have a bad game??? OF COURSE!!! A good team will find ways to win and Union City does EXACTLY that! I'm telling you man, I've watched alot of basketball this year including teams from Memphis and even Siegel in the Liberty play-day etc. and Union City IS the best TEAM I have seen this year! Their speed, athleticism, ability to shoot, and HEART is all there! It'll be Manassas or Union City winning the gold in Single A. The only hope for the other teams is that Union City and Manassas are put in the same bracket and whenever that game is will decide the state champion......I'm telling ya, Union City is VERY VERY GOOD! Don't be shocked when you see them, all the hype on here is legit!

You seem to be the intelligent fan who can enlighen a relative newcomer to Tennessee HS basketball. Why does TSSAA shrink the classification size from 5A for football to 3A for basketball? In Georgia, Alabama, etc., if you play 5A football, you play 5A basketball. In talking with some folks from West Tennessee at Murfreesboro last year, I found out that some of their (West) teams came from schools that had 750 + students, yet these schools were playing in the 1A tourney. I'm sure there is a reason behind this, but it seems rather unfair, especially considering the size of some of the 1A schools from the East.