Single A state Champion!

TempleTrue

You got to admit we have reason....We see a very different style of ball over here...Not many teams in the East and Middle see it...The problem some of the teams in the West face when they get to state is the style of play most Middle Tn teams play...It's more of a deliberate,half court style...Some teams from the West can't adjust when they get forced to play it....Most teams in the West want to run,run and then run some more...More teams in the West have adopted the U of Memphis double dribble drive offense....Union City has put themselves in a position where they have played those types of teams...We played Mt Juliet who although didn't have a great record gave us some problems because they were so physical...They just basically tried to push us around...We adjusted and beat them...Then Sycamore was next and they were a little more uptempo but still was more deliberate than not...We adjusted and beat them...Then we beat a very good Livingston Acd..What they tried to do was run with us and that was a mistake...They didn't have the athletes to do that for four quarters...We have had to play two very deliberate games with Lake County...Both were grind em up type games one was in the 50's and the other was in the 60's...Then we beat them in an uptempo game in the high 70's....The point being is that Union City can win games our way,uptempo run-n-gun,or we can beat you at your game...I know the last time Union City was in the state tournament in 06 they played two real easy games against Cloudland and Wayne County that both came on here saying they were going to beat Union City..Grace Baptist was a just a little better but we beat them pretty easily too..

I agree with you that sometimes a team from East or Middle will beat a really good team from the West and it will leave us over here scratching our heads...I just think alot of that also is by the time one of the West teams gets to the state level they have already played so many really good teams they have beat up on each other and don't have alot left at the end of the year...Union City for example has played both Lake County and Humboldt TWICE in the last 8 or 9 games..That's alot to ask anybody...

Speaking of 1A only here...There is NOBODY in the tournanment that has seen the level of team they will see when and if they play Manassas or Union City...Manassas early in the year was playing all kinds of tough,higher classification teams from Memphis and doing very well against them...Union City has played very tough teams outside their district and has now been in four tournaments and won them all...If they are placed in opposite brackets they will play each other for the title...If not,one or the other will win the title...

But I still say Union City will win it all this year....

What I don't understand is why everyone thinks the west is so much better than the east in single A.... I think AA and AAA they have proven it year after year...but in A it seems as though the east has had the upper hand recently.... Since 2000 the east has accumulated 5 Gold balls and at least 3 silver... (maybe more- gold is really all that matters anyway)....and yet I will agree that the west consistently has MORE talent....

I think the east wins because they have better coaching...and play together as a team and not just a bunch of individuals....I think the teams from the east that have won the gold and played in the championship game play smarter than the teams from the west.... (obviously this doesn't mean the east people are smarter than the west... I just think the reason the east continues to win is because of their basketball iq and coaching...because obviously something has been able to overcome their inferior talent and athleticism right?? /rolleyes.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" />

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You seem to be the intelligent fan who can enlighen a relative newcomer to Tennessee HS basketball. Why does TSSAA shrink the classification size from 5A for football to 3A for basketball? In Georgia, Alabama, etc., if you play 5A football, you play 5A basketball. In talking with some folks from West Tennessee at Murfreesboro last year, I found out that some of their (West) teams came from schools that had 750 + students, yet these schools were playing in the 1A tourney. I'm sure there is a reason behind this, but it seems rather unfair, especially considering the size of some of the 1A schools from the East.

Nobody with 750+ kids is in 1A. I think the largest 1A school (Jackson Co) has like 490. 750 is getting into large 2A.

The reason you don't have 5 classes in basketball is because you only need 5 players to play. So small school can compete with a school that is a little bigger. I like it because any more classes would water down the competition that much more.

Nobody with 750+ kids is in 1A. I think the largest 1A school (Jackson Co) has like 490. 750 is getting into large 2A.

The reason you don't have 5 classes in basketball is because you only need 5 players to play. So small school can compete with a school that is a little bigger. I like it because any more classes would water down the competition that much more.

Thanks for the info. Your logic makes sense, and it would water down the competition, but even though you only need five players for basketball, the larger schools have a larger student body to draw from. I thought the purpose of size classification was to level the playing field.

I'm promising you Green Acres.....Union City's hype IS legit!!!! I've watched 'em several times this year and I have nothing to do with that program but they are the REAL DEAL! No one at state has a chance to beat them except for Manassas. This years Union City team would beat last years Temple team by 20+, I'm telling you their LEGIT!!!

UC and Manassas are for real.

People say UC's schedual is cupcake. Well play Humboldt and Lake County each twice then again in the tournament and that is better than most teams. UC played a very tough schedual in the holiday season and it shows. Humboldts schedual is more of a joke that UC. UC has a 10 teams district which doesnt allow them to play many other games other than tournaments. People don't like UC just for the same reason people don't like the Yankees(which I am a fan) because they win and the fans are passionate.

Manassas has the ability of going outside of the district alot. They play quality competition in Memphis in the AA and AAA schools.

Unless these two play each other in the same bracket one of these 2 wins. I am pulling for UC because they are in district 14A in which I coach.

UC and Manassas are for real.People say UC's schedual is cupcake. Well play Humboldt and Lake County each twice then again in the tournament and that is better than most teams. UC played a very tough schedual in the holiday season and it shows. Humboldts schedual is more of a joke that UC. UC has a 10 teams district which doesnt allow them to play many other games other than tournaments. People don't like UC just for the same reason people don't like the Yankees(which I am a fan) because they win and the fans are passionate.Manassas has the ability of going outside of the district alot. They play quality competition in Memphis in the AA and AAA schools. Unless these two play each other in the same bracket one of these 2 wins. I am pulling for UC because they are in district 14A in which I coach.

You are right. Lake Country and Humboldt are not the best teams out there, but they play their hardest when U.C. plays either one of them. Neither can be defined as cupcakes

UC and Manassas are for real.

People say UC's schedual is cupcake. Well play Humboldt and Lake County each twice then again in the tournament and that is better than most teams. UC played a very tough schedual in the holiday season and it shows. Humboldts schedual is more of a joke that UC. UC has a 10 teams district which doesnt allow them to play many other games other than tournaments. People don't like UC just for the same reason people don't like the Yankees(which I am a fan) because they win and the fans are passionate.

Manassas has the ability of going outside of the district alot. They play quality competition in Memphis in the AA and AAA schools.

Unless these two play each other in the same bracket one of these 2 wins. I am pulling for UC because they are in district 14A in which I coach.

The New York Yankees > 36 American League Pennants and 26 World Championships. I think those numbers are right. I LOVE THE YANKEES...THE GREATEST FRANCHISE IN THE HISTORY OF SPORTS!!!!!! BAR NONE!!!!!!!!!!

What I don't understand is why everyone thinks the west is so much better than the east in single A.... I think AA and AAA they have proven it year after year...but in A it seems as though the east has had the upper hand recently.... Since 2000 the east has accumulated 5 Gold balls and at least 3 silver... (maybe more- gold is really all that matters anyway)....and yet I will agree that the west consistently has MORE talent....

I think the east wins because they have better coaching...and play together as a team and not just a bunch of individuals....I think the teams from the east that have won the gold and played in the championship game play smarter than the teams from the west.... (obviously this doesn't mean the east people are smarter than the west... I just think the reason the east continues to win is because of their basketball iq and coaching...because obviously something has been able to overcome their inferior talent and athleticism right?? /rolleyes.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" />

Yeah Temple..I don't know....Watching the teams play last year in the tournament I thought Culleoka and Humboldt had the best overall talent...But then CSAS beats Culleoka and Humboldt lost to Temple...If you remember Humboldt almost lost to Wartburg...I have watched games in Murfreesboro for years and seen teams with lesser talent beat teams that were more talented...To be honest I don't know why the Memphis teams don't just win every year...I'll agree with you that coaching has alot to do with it...