Blind draw pairings for State Tourny

mackie

This will also make the teams schedule more teams in their classification throughout the season.

Not a good idea. 1st, teams would have to travel alot more. Say in extreame east TN in single A, teams like Cloudland, Hampton, and Unaka would have to travel 2 1/2 hours pluss to play more than 7 1A oppenents.

2nd, if you water down your scheadule with more 1A teams to get a better seeding, thats less games you can scheadule with bigger, better schools to get prepared for Tourny Time.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I would do it this way, for AAA:

Put Dobyns-Bennett, Oak Ridge, Red Bank, and Antiochs' names on a piece of paper and put them in a one box. Put Clarksville, Siegel, White Station, and Ridgeway in another box. Now, draw one from each box and they play in round one.

I just did this myself and the pairings for round one were Oak Ridge vs Clarksville, D-B vs Siegel, Red Bank vs Ridgeway, and Antioch vs White Station.

Four interesting matchups. All I did was separate West Tennessee and East Tennessee teams and then put the middle Tennessee teams on one side or the other. Since Siegel eliminated Cleveland you wouldn't want them to face Red Bank. Then, draw names.

In AA: AE vs Mitchell, Howard vs Dyer, LA vs Bolivar, CPA vs Fulton

In A: Univ School vs Manassas, Grace vs Moore Co, Temple vs Union City, Jackson Co vs Eagleville

Thats the way it needs to be done right there!

Every one has had some good ideas and comments. I very seldom agree with the T$$AA but I do like the blind draw. The voters are too biased for the most part to get an accurate ranking of the teams left. With the blind draw, you just deal with what you have been dealt and play ball. Leave the excuses to the fans.

problem with that is teams may get a better draw or be on the better side of a bracket by throwing the region championship game.

It makes no sense to make them wait five days. At this point teams don't even know what day they will be playing. Could be wednesday, could be thursday.

Should have been drawn on Tuesday after substate.

Havent read all the way through so I don't know if what I'm about to say has already been stated.

They probably don't do it immediately with the boys because the girls can only get three days (due to how their timing is set up) and they dont want there to be any advantages to the boy's teams that the girls don't have. Thats the only legit reason that I can see and understand. This way it gives boys and girls the same amount of time to prepare for the first round games.

I like the draw, too, but not a total blind draw. I would prefer that west not play west, or east play east, in the first round. Who plays other than that would be decided by the draw.

Coacht, thats how I prefer to see the blind draw play out. The 2 teams each class that rise to the ocassion each game advance . Any team that plays its best each game should advance to play another day. Someone will always say they got ripped anyway its done. Good luck to all teams thast have earned their way to the Boro.

Havent read all the way through so I don't know if what I'm about to say has already been stated.

They probably don't do it immediately with the boys because the girls can only get three days (due to how their timing is set up) and they dont want there to be any advantages to the boy's teams that the girls don't have. Thats the only legit reason that I can see and understand. This way it gives boys and girls the same amount of time to prepare for the first round games.

Well with the old system, the girls only knew about 12 hours earlier than they do with this system...

The only RIGHT, no questions asked, way to this would be have a round robin. Have a team play the other 7 teams in their classifacation in like a 10 day or 2 week period.... Only problem with that is that teasm would have to travel to the 'Boro multiple times, and that this format would take like two weeks to pan out... You know, I'm actually surprised the T$$AA hasn't thought about this yet. Do you realize how much more $$$$$ they could make off that? /dry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="

Well with the old system, the girls only knew about 12 hours earlier than they do with this system...

The only RIGHT, no questions asked, way to this would be have a round robin. Have a team play the other 7 teams in their classifacation in like a 10 day or 2 week period.... Only problem with that is that teasm would have to travel to the 'Boro multiple times, and that this format would take like two weeks to pan out... You know, I'm actually surprised the T$$AA hasn't thought about this yet. Do you realize how much more $$$$$ they could make off that? /dry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="

Yeah but they would also have to pay a lot more money to get Murphy Center for those extra days. Plus pay MTSU for security, parking loss (the buses run extra routes so that the parking doesn't affect the students as much), clean-up crews, etc. It wouldn't be worth it I bet. You know if it was, they'd probably be doing it!

I like the blind draw, because even if you draw the best two teams, there has always been only ONE champion when it is all said and done. For the most part, I could not tell you who was runner up in the past ten championship games.

Stokomo

There is a silver ball that goes to the runner-up team. Although YOU can't remember who was runner-up, the players, coaches and fans that have that in their trophy case do.

It is a testament to a team's season to even be the runner-up in the state. If you blind draw the top two teams in the first round, you deprive the second best team of ever being the runner-up.