State tournament fan support

Icy

Well, I have seen many teams play at the borro. Austin-East, Mt. Juliet, Oakland, Dyersburg, Jackson NS, Upperman, WhiteHouse, Trenton Peabody, Chester County, Liberty Tech, and Dyer County are some of the teams that I have seen, and I will say Dyer County, Dyersburg, and Mt. Juliet had the largest fan support by far of any of the others. The biggest crowd that I have ever seen in the borro is when Dyersburg played Mt. Juliet for the AAA GIRLS state titile in 2005. The second largest crowd that I have ever seen in the borro is when Dyer County played White House in the first round of the state tournament in AA BOYS last year.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In general, the more rural the school, the more support they will have. When a school is one of only a handful in the whole city, then the whole town, not just people actively involved in the school, gets behind them. Whereas in larger cities like Memphis and Nashville, there are so many schools, and often less students, the school's following is usually smaller. Would most agree?

This is something I've never understood about the attendance for the girls and boys basketball tournament. It's staggering but not at all a surprise. matt610, you are right about the small, rural schools and communities. They really support and get behind their teams and are LOUD. There are quite a few suburban schools that have lots of fan support. As far as the inner city schools (especially in TN), I think the school support/spirit is pitiful. There are a hand full of parents and supporters at the state tourney games. There are hardly any students there who attend. I mean, it's their school. Don't they even care?? One year, there were two schools (AA & AAA) in the boys state tourney who didn't bring their cheerleaders.

Has anyone seen the attendance figures for the basketball state tournaments in Kentucky and Indiana? Their turnouts are huge. The Illinois boys basketball tournament has a very large turn out every year as well. It's a very well-run tournament. Missouri has had some big turnouts for their state tournaments.

I went to the boys state tourney in 1996,97,2000,02,03,04,05 and 07. I will list schools who had a great following and schools who don't

Schools who don't.

All Memphis Schools. Even White Station had no fan support.

Maryville had poor support last year. If it was football it would be different. I was dissapointed in Maryville fans last year.

Austin East brings few fans down there.

Inner City Nashville Schools don't bring many fans.

Schools who bring a ton of fans.

Bolivar Central

Giles County

Siegel. Best student section I ever seen. Remind me of the Cameron Crazies.

South Fulton

Liberty Tech

Clarksville

Cosby

Perry County

Dyer County

Union City

I agree with this list. I would also include White County in this list; their fans come in masses. The only inner city school who brought lots of fans to the state tourney was Pearl Cohn (the year they had John Henderson and Ron Slay). I was at that game when they played White County in the state semifinals in 1998 and it was packed.

I'm surprised to hear Oakland and Maryville did not bring a bunch of fans to the state tourney last year. Did Riverdale bring many fans last year to the girls state tourney last year?