Red Cards

rednex41

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Illini - great point about the clock being stopped and no additional time being saved by retreiving the ball out of the net.

However, a very cheeky move would be to do it anyway and see if it prompts a physical response by the team that allowed the goal. If I could get one of their players red carded from such a ploy..............

Another reason why FIFA has it right and TSSAA is all wrong in their "involvment" with soccer rules. Time should be kept by the center ref and not a score board.

Which Red card offense would you not give two games for. (straight Red)

exhibiting violent conduct

taunting

committing serious foul play

spitting at an opponent

spitting at a game official

using insulting, offensive or abusive language or gesture (toward player or official)

leaving team area for a fight

deliberate hand ball to stop a goal

deliberate foul to keep an opposing player from scoring on a break-away

These are from the rulebook.

In my opinion Sitting out 2 games is not harsh for any of these acts. you don't sit out for a yellow/red offense (unless by school mandate which there are some).

On the surface this is real cut and dry, and you can't argue with your list. All of those are serious offenses. But are you telling me that every red card that you have seen thrown deserves a 2 game suspension? I am just saying that it seems a bit harsh. I would like to know why they increased it. Was there such an increase in red cards that they thought they needed to make a point? If this is the case, why not have a multiple offender type suspension?

wow this whole thing is just ridiculous i agree with the people that say the two game suspension is stupid. missing the rest of the game and leaving your team out to dry and missing the next game is bad enough, tssaa stinks, thats the straight truth of it all no one around the world has this rule, its completely unneccessary.

I would not agree that a two game suspension is warrented for the following:

1. A deliberate hand ball to stop a goal scoring opportunity

2. A dliberate foul on a break away to stop a goal scoring opportunity.

In basketball or football, neither of these kinds of things draws an ejection much less a suspension. In football if a defender is beat on a pass and they intentionally tackle the receiver to prevent them from receiving a pass that would lead to a touch down, all that happens is the team receives a penalty for pass interference. The player is not ejected or punished in anyway and it is considered a smart play. In basketball if a player steals a ball and is headed to the goal for what would be the game winning layup, a defender is taught to foul them and make them earn the points at the foul line. No ejection of the player unless it is their fifth foul and no suspension from following games even if they are ejected for maxing out the foul limit. Also, a player who goal tends in basketball. Nothing happens other than the basket is allowed. The player does not sit out and no suspension is allowed.

A two game suspension for these things being put on an equal plane with a two game suspension for fighting or making racist remarks is absolutely ludicrous.

TSSAA clearly needs someone with a soccer background and a sense of the game to manage High School soccer.

Big G no there has not been an increase in red cards, in fact I believe they have went down in the past 2 years. Now let me try to explain the 2 game suspension process for soccer. the season is 8 weeks long and there is a 16 game schedule. if you play 2 games in one week it is the same as a football player sitting out 1 game because it is 2 weeks before he can play again. This is the rational thinking to even it up for all sports/ if you look at each sports calender I believe in each sport you penalized the same in making a player and or a coach to sit out 1 week by the calender. With all this said i may be wrong but that was the explanation that was given to me.

Whitey as far as the 2 red card violations that you mentioned I'm not saying your wrong but i also don't think you should have different penalties for red cards. one penalty fits all is not always fair but there also is no gray area either.

The problem as I see it in soccer is that these kids play select soccer when not in high school season and there is not the sportsmanship put in select as high school ball. i'm not saying the high school coaches teach dirty play but I do know that select coaches teach it because they can get away with it in select.

what everyone needs to understand is high school soccer is not select soccer it is high school soccer. played by high school rules not fifa even though most are the same, there are differences because of sportsmanship and alot of the kids are not select players playing the game. that is what everyone needs to realize. I could go on and on but I think you get the gest of what I'm tying to say.

The problem as I see it in soccer is that these kids play select soccer when not in high school season and there is not the sportsmanship put in select as high school ball. i'm not saying the high school coaches teach dirty play but I do know that select coaches teach it because they can get away with it in select.

what everyone needs to understand is high school soccer is not select soccer it is high school soccer. played by high school rules not fifa even though most are the same, there are differences because of sportsmanship and alot of the kids are not select players playing the game. that is what everyone needs to realize. I could go on and on but I think you get the gest of what I'm tying to say.

You sir are so wrong. While I agree there is a difference between Club soccer and HS soccer. HS soccer looks like receration ball compared to the skill of club players and their teams.

If you ask any Ref they would rather Ref CAK, CCS, Bearden......teams of those calibur because their loaded with CLUB PLAYERS who know how to play and understand the game. It has been my experence that most RED CARDS are given to the inexperence players. THe football player that went out for the team to have something to do.

To suggest that their is not as much sportsmanship in club ball as HS ball is an insane comment. I have seen more fights and cheap shot in my 6 years of watching HS soccer than I have in my 15 years of watching club ball.

And yes I get the gest of what your trying to say.......TSSAA can't keep their noses out of the rules of the game. And sir I find that SAD.

Ok as a player of 15 years, now a coach of 6 years at the High School level and Official of 10 years( club, high school and collage) I think this rule is CRAZY. Show me any other state or governing soccer body that has a rule of 2 game suspension. There are rules of soccer that have been for 50 years or so and you cant just change them. Soccer official are trained to ref by USSF and FIFA rules and as a ref Its hard to then change the way you ref for High School. So far this year In the knoxville area Red card are at 16 more than all of last year and we are only 3 weeks in. TSSAA tell the officals at the rules meeting that there is zero tollerance for everything and so most officials seem to be listening. My team is in our 5th game and we have had 3 red card and none for anything but an inadvertant slip of the mouth. I think this rule is CRAZY. If they keep the rule officials should take more from the players or this rule should be changed back. My good friend officiates Football and if someone ejected the star querterback for say the F word not directed at anyone and because he's mad the rule would be changed tomorrow. Once again TSSAA makes rules for Football and everyone else suffers. I wish each sport was looked at by people who no what there doing not Ex football players and coaches that dont have a clue.

TSSAA tried to even up the suspension policy for all sports, but they have done nothing to ensure that the *ejections* are equal. This is the problem. All it takes to eject a player from a soccer game is an angry ref. How often do referees use a red card to "get control of the game"? They say to themselves "The next cheap shot I see is getting a red card". Now they are looking for cheap shots, so they are going to find one.

The problem does not only exist for the players. Will refs be less likely to use the red card? Some will, others won't.

The punishments are built into the game. Hockey has a penalty box, football has fifteen yard penalties, soccer has red cards. There is no need to punish a player (even one with a bad temper) for enjoying a sport with easier ejections.

To even things up, TSSAA needs to look at the *total* number of games suspended shared by *all* players of different sports (or by the average player). It's certainly not data I have, but if they provide me the numbers I'd be happy to crunch them.

soccerref, if your team has had 3 reds in 5 games for slips of the mouth, then I believe the players should learn to keep their mouths shut. sorry, but I don't have any sympathy for the red for someone saying anything, that comes down to discipline from the coach down. In five years, we have had a half dozen yellows for players and 1 for the coach (me), and mine was given b/c I was warned to tell a parent to be quiet and he decided not to listen to me. As far as club v. hs, I think you do have many more inexperienced players in hs soccer, but most refs can recognize this and do a good job of letting kids know to calm down when the player is beginning to get out of control. Is a two game ban stupid, yes. But getting the red for something that a coach should teach to prevent, i.e. language, tackles from behind, is even more stupid.

soccerref, if your team has had 3 reds in 5 games for slips of the mouth, then I believe the players should learn to keep their mouths shut. sorry, but I don't have any sympathy for the red for someone saying anything, that comes down to discipline from the coach down. In five years, we have had a half dozen yellows for players and 1 for the coach (me), and mine was given b/c I was warned to tell a parent to be quiet and he decided not to listen to me. As far as club v. hs, I think you do have many more inexperienced players in hs soccer, but most refs can recognize this and do a good job of letting kids know to calm down when the player is beginning to get out of control. Is a two game ban stupid, yes. But getting the red for something that a coach should teach to prevent, i.e. language, tackles from behind, is even more stupid.

Well said old man.

I have a question. How is the two games determined - Say a player is red carded the first five minutes of a game; Is the current game and the next game the team plays considered the two suspended games? The player has been ejected out of the game beening played - right? What if a player is suspended the last two minutes of a game - Does the game he is playing in at the present time the one of the ones of the two game suspension? In other words is the suspension for two full games or one full game and the remainder of the game being played? /dry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="