DB FOOTBALL '08

DBTeepee

It actually bothers everybody else alot more than it does the DB fans. There are alot of teams with winning records year after year that has hopes of winning a state title. Every year their fans hope and think that just maybe this may be their year. Alot of south fans started out 2007 thinking that just maybe it was their year, only to come up short. No different than DB as far as making it to the title game. Those state titles DB was awarded during the non playoff years were legit. If you reserch it there is little dought they were the true state champions. And really it doesn't matter if you believe it or not. Its in the record books just like the playoff champions and theres nothing you can do to change that.

As for as any DB fans trading anything for one state title in football.........I don't think so. Here are some examples: Sevier Co. (1 state title) Jefferson Co. (1 state title) So DB fans, would you trade everything you have accomplished to be like Sevier Co. or Jefferson Co. and have 1 state title.

Waco is right. You South fans got it all wrong. It is better to be tough every year and have a shot at the gold ball every so often and not get it, then it is to win it all and have mixed in losing seasons like most teams do, other then Maryville as of late. It is more fun to have the largest following in the state (easily year in and year out) then to win one, have bandwagon fans jump on and then off when their teams have a bad season. DB is a constant. I have seen all the programs all over the state and none have the constant following; not even Maryville, when I was in college in the mid 90's you could not pay some to go to their games even though they had already won titles. At DB, it is exciting every year, from the pre-game, to the band, to the games. That is the difference. Would not trade it for a gold ball no matter how much South fans beg to differ. Look at your own club, how many were in the stands 5 years ago? I have an older buddy that is friends with Curt's father, he is from Nashville. I told him that game in 2006 would blow him away as far as atmosphere. He did not believe me because he has seen all the TN teams, he is a guy that is in the biz of helping teams and or school clubs raise money through fund raising. After that game he told me he had not seen anything like that in TN. Upper East TN has a great following, middle and west are lagging. DB is king as far as following goes and they keep their fans coming back, none of these 4-6 seasons like most have. They are always tough!

• Replies 324
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It actually bothers everybody else alot more than it does the DB fans. There are alot of teams with winning records year after year that has hopes of winning a state title. Every year their fans hope and think that just maybe this may be their year. Alot of south fans started out 2007 thinking that just maybe it was their year, only to come up short. No different than DB as far as making it to the title game. Those state titles DB was awarded during the non playoff years were legit. If you reserch it there is little dought they were the true state champions. And really it doesn't matter if you believe it or not. Its in the record books just like the playoff champions and theres nothing you can do to change that.

As for as any DB fans trading anything for one state title in football.........I don't think so. Here are some examples: Sevier Co. (1 state title) Jefferson Co. (1 state title) So DB fans, would you trade everything you have accomplished to be like Sevier Co. or Jefferson Co. and have 1 state title.

Waco...you and Bud are 100% correct. It is the mark of a Marquee program to be a threat every year. To finish in the playoffs. Sooner or later punching it in and coming away with a Gold Ball. That obviously takes tradition. I think what VolMan is saying is that after a quantified period of time...(35 years) that maybe if you still don't have a Gold Ball in spite of your Top Shelf program that maybe you should check yourself. Exactly what you alluded to in your posts following the '06 Tribe season and what many faithful Indians felt. No detriment to the program or GC as I remember that thread concluding. And yes, it was heart wrenching to have lost to Maryville in'07 with the confidence we would have had no problem in the 15th game. But, so goes championship programs...you go back and pick up the pieces and do it all over again never accepting mediocrety. No, we may not be a championship program but we did get a glimpse of what it takes to be one. You should know better than anyone.

Waco...you and Bud are 100% correct. It is the mark of a Marquee program to be a threat every year. To finish in the playoffs. Sooner or later punching it in and coming away with a Gold Ball. That obviously takes tradition. I think what VolMan is saying is that after a quantified period of time...(35 years) that maybe if you still don't have a Gold Ball in spite of your Top Shelf program that maybe you should check yourself. Exactly what you alluded to in your posts following the '06 Tribe season and what many faithful Indians felt. No detriment to the program or GC as I remember that thread concluding. And yes, it was heart wrenching to have lost to Maryville in'07 with the confidence we would have had no problem in the 15th game. But, so goes championship programs...you go back and pick up the pieces and do it all over again never accepting mediocrety. No, we may not be a championship program but we did get a glimpse of what it takes to be one. You should know better than anyone.

South got a glimpse in 2007 and had no chance to win. Maryville is great, but the Riverdale and Red Bank team that DB lost to that were nationally ranked would have waxed any of the past Maryville teams. I have seen them all. DB has had 3 glimpses in the past 10 years that have been games they could have won. Now South knows that football outside of Region1 or 2 4A or for DB (same thing)anything from Oak Ridge, Chattanooga, Knoxville, Nashville or Memphis bring it on another level every single year. Then you have the privates which upper NE TN knows nothing about, though they don't compete for the same prize. It will take a special team from upper NE TN to win it all. Beating (even waxing) all of your local teams means nada. Upper NE TN has to realize that our best few teams every year are lucky to be in the race for a gold ball on the state level.

Okay, I have had ENOUGH!!!!!!!!!!

The posturing is over the top.

BOYS meet at the K-MART and figure out who is top dog, at least amongst yourselves because the RECORD speaks for itself. Enough said, next??¦??¦??¦.

Reading almost 4 pages of this STUPIDITY on this DB thread has REALLY gotten??™ SOOOOOOO ANTIQUATED!

PLEASE FOR THE SAKE OF SANITY____

MOVE ON---GET A LIFE---LOOK TO THE FUTURE---QUIT BELLYACHING ABOUT THE PAST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes, but none have been ranked #1 as much as D-B. Maybe this contributes to the arrogance.

Waco is right. You South fans got it all wrong. It is better to be tough every year and have a shot at the gold ball every so often and not get it, then it is to win it all and have mixed in losing seasons like most teams do, other then Maryville as of late. It is more fun to have the largest following in the state (easily year in and year out) then to win one, have bandwagon fans jump on and then off when their teams have a bad season. DB is a constant. I have seen all the programs all over the state and none have the constant following; not even Maryville, when I was in college in the mid 90's you could not pay some to go to their games even though they had already won titles. At DB, it is exciting every year, from the pre-game, to the band, to the games. That is the difference. Would not trade it for a gold ball no matter how much South fans beg to differ. Look at your own club, how many were in the stands 5 years ago? I have an older buddy that is friends with Curt's father, he is from Nashville. I told him that game in 2006 would blow him away as far as atmosphere. He did not believe me because he has seen all the TN teams, he is a guy that is in the biz of helping teams and or school clubs raise money through fund raising. After that game he told me he had not seen anything like that in TN. Upper East TN has a great following, middle and west are lagging. DB is king as far as following goes and they keep their fans coming back, none of these 4-6 seasons like most have. They are always tough!

D-B does have the biggest following and a good atmosphere. But, actually, if you take away the band and the student section, they are basically kind of a laid back quiet group.

South got a glimpse in 2007 and had no chance to win. Maryville is great, but the Riverdale and Red Bank team that DB lost to that were nationally ranked would have waxed any of the past Maryville teams. I have seen them all. DB has had 3 glimpses in the past 10 years that have been games they could have won. Now South knows that football outside of Region1 or 2 4A or for DB (same thing)anything from Oak Ridge, Chattanooga, Knoxville, Nashville or Memphis bring it on another level every single year. Then you have the privates which upper NE TN knows nothing about, though they don't compete for the same prize. It will take a special team from upper NE TN to win it all. Beating (even waxing) all of your local teams means nada. Upper NE TN has to realize that our best few teams every year are lucky to be in the race for a gold ball on the state level.

This statement in itself Bud, made you lose any respect you had gained. I was with you for the most part until now. You are now only one notch above Waco. /dry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="

This statement in itself Bud, made you lose any respect you had gained. I was with you for the most part until now. You are now only one notch above Waco. /dry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="

The statement bud made is true. It probably isn't what you wanted to here but its the truth. If you lose respect for someone for telling the truth then your opinion doesn't matter anyway.

oh, and by the way........

DB - 44 south - ZERO

Okay, I have had ENOUGH!!!!!!!!!!

The posturing is over the top.

BOYS meet at the K-MART and figure out who is top dog, at least amongst yourselves because the RECORD speaks for itself. Enough said, next??¦??¦??¦.

Reading almost 4 pages of this STUPIDITY on this DB thread has REALLY gotten??™ SOOOOOOO ANTIQUATED!

PLEASE FOR THE SAKE OF SANITY____

MOVE ON---GET A LIFE---LOOK TO THE FUTURE---QUIT BELLYACHING ABOUT THE PAST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Stay calm......I'll call the police and tell them someone is holding a gun to your head making you read almost 4 pages of this thread.

I don't like green beans.......So I don't eat green beans. /hungry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":hungry:" border="0" alt="hungry.gif" />

Bud, I am trying to follow your thinking here. If the Riverdale and Red Bank teams would have waxed any of the Maryville teams, and DB could have won these games with Riverdale and Red Bank (I believe the losses where blamed on bad weather and the DB coaches having tickets to the Tenn-ND game), are you saying that the DB teams from these years would wax any of the Maryville teams?