2008 1a picks

Oneida welcomes back 1st Team All-Region QB Torrey Slaven this Fall. He did not play @ Hampton due to a torn ACL in the 1st Round of the playoffs.

The offence will have to be improved, I have a feeling it will be. If so, Oneida has a legit shot at the state.Trousdale is still my top pick,I'm not sure they didn't have the best defence in 1a last season, the key for them is staying healthy, they don't dress alot of kids. Wouldn't bother me to see either of these schools win it ,I am a fan of both.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oneida welcomes back 1st Team All-Region QB Torrey Slaven this Fall. He did not play @ Hampton due to a torn ACL in the 1st Round of the playoffs.

I was more impressed with the QB Oneida had at Hampton. I don't know if Slaven could have did any better than the sophmore did. When Hampton played Oneida at Oneida in the second game of the season, I thought Slaven played horrible. But he may have just an off game. But I am still wishing the best for Oneida this year. Hampton may be on the losing end this time, but I still can't wait until the Dawgs and the Indians meet in week 2...

I just can not see a team with a new coach and staff going to the boro, I'm sure someone else has done it , but Alcoa is the only one that comes to mind. South Pitt with David Jones, maybe, Oneida, will have to have better QB play than they had at Hampton Last year, Friendship needs experience Hampton Lost a lot, That's a big limb each year with no gold ball. so if these are the best the east has you have got to say South Pitt has the best shot at getting to the boro.

I actually addressed this in the original thread. Unfortunately, a couple of people got the thread closed because they didn't get the concept of what I was talking about. Don't expect TC to be down because of a coaching change. In fact, I think some teams may let down just a little against them and get burned. As far as "new" coaches go, SP one it in '96 with a new head coach. SP got to the semi in '93 loosing by 2 to TC and one it in '94. SP did that again in going to the semi in 98 and winning in 99. All 4 of those years it was SP and TC in the semi with the winner being the ultimate state championship. This year has the potential to be a TC-SP classic but both teams have some work to do. Both have the coaches and players to do it with.

Edit: The point I was making with my post in the original thread and here is that SP has done well during coaching transitions and I expect TC will be no different because TC has a tradition and community behind it similar to SP as well.

My early predictions and are subject to change:

East:

1. (tie) South Pittsburg (have some OL to work out)

1. (tie) Trousdale County (returning a very good, young team)

3. Oneida-

4. Midway or Greenback

5. FCS

West:

1. Lake County

2. Collinwood

3. Jo Byrns

4. Cascade

5. McKenzie (?)

Others to watch: Gordonsville, Hampton, Cloudland, Moore County, Hollowrock-Bruceton

Old Pirate says FC star RB appeared to be looking for the sideline in the SP game. Not that OP could blame him, OP thought he saw his jock up close to his chin strap. Hey, OP could have been wrong.

Kinda like Orlando Wade in the '86 state championship game.

Another team that could be very strong is Midway, I'm not sure how many starters they lost , but Ido know ,they have a STUD at running back, they have another kid that can flat out run.

That kid has been tougher than nails for 3 years now. He will easilly be one of...if not THE best running back in Reg 2.

Glad to hear that black shirts, I was wondering if he would be back, and I saw him at play at Oneida and Hampton's first game and thought he was very good, and that big # 63, I think he could be the best in the state at off tackle, and how Mr. all world Justin Terry, the best D linemen in the state. I hope to see this team sometime this year.

My early predictions and are subject to change:

East:

1. (tie) South Pittsburg (have some OL to work out)

1. (tie) Trousdale County (returning a very good, young team)

3. Oneida-

4. Midway or Greenback

5. FCS

West:

1. Lake County

2. Collinwood

3. Jo Byrns

4. Cascade

5. McKenzie (?)

Others to watch: Gordonsville, Hampton, Cloudland, Moore County, Hollowrock-Bruceton

What have you heard from greenback thier off was very good late in the year, but the def really struggled

I actually addressed this in the original thread. Unfortunately, a couple of people got the thread closed because they As far as "new" coaches go, SP one it in '96 with a new head coach.

I'm guessing that is meant to be '69 instead? If so I was thinking the same thing. Then Vic and Danny each won theirs in the 2nd year. Not bad for new coaches.

Only thing is Wade found the sideline, but the Ref obviously didn't!!

Hahaha. Best quote of the day!!!