Spring Fling - Major Ripoff

greenergrass

Sorry, you were the last post I read and your post was referring to points I made. I never said that parents were making money. I realize it goes to the program. Sorry if I didn't make it clear. Once again I will say the right thing to do would be give the programs compensation for travel expenses. I know what a baseball budget consists of and what the major expenses are. If I once sounded like I didn't know what I was talking about I apologize. But thank you for pointing out that programs have to pay for umpires and baseballs. Sounds like you have a good relationship with the TSSAA. If that is where you want to hitch your wagon then that is your choice. JUST TO CLARIFY, your program makes money off the State Playoffs while schools who play get no compensation for expenses. I guess I would defend the TSSAA too.

well i am affiliated by them as an umpire and i may not agree with everything the TSSAA i think OVERALL they do a good job it is hard to please all the schools and players PARENTS and fans...the one thing that i really spoke against the TSSAA about was the new rules with dead periods and all the limits espcially baseball and softball and some of those restrictions i thought that was a real bad move and penalizing the ones who wanted to work

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe the TSSAA gets all gate receipts.

Schools get parking and concessions.

I asked the question to an official at Smyrna. He told me that T$$AA got 85% of gate and parking and the host school got to keep concession and its 15%. So if this is true, T$$AA gets $6.00 of your gate money and and $4.25 of your parking. I am sorry, I can not figure out how they are losing money or not making enough money to help with travel expenses. Smyrna does a great job by the way. We have played there the last two years and they are great host.

Amen on charging a 3 yr old. Talk about ridiculous. I would like to hear someones justification for that. Just proves to me that it is all about the money.

What about charging a player? Lookout Valley had to pay for 2 players(in uniform) because they weren't given enough passes. Later they were told by the TSSAA representative "all you had to do was ask I could have gotten you more". That would have been great if he had been present on the first day & first game of the tournament at the MTCS site.

Also from my understanding baseball and softball have to cover for Soccer, Tennis and all the other crappy sports that don't bring in revenue.

Someone correct me if I am wrong but I heard South Pittsburgh recieved $30,000 in compensation for playoff expenses during football. They played all home games until the Championship. Explain that. They say football brings in more money and that is their excuse. You are telling me all the District , Region, Sectionals, and State Playoffs in baseball doesn't make more. More Games + More "Sessions" + More venues + charging toddlers and players + Parking = TSSAA stinks.

And to Mr. "I would pay double to watch my son play in the State" I agree as long as the money is returned to my sons program who's school has to fund their whole trip. Even a small percentage would be a better gesture than the excuse they were given 2 years ago that they had to put up Soccer scoreboards so they could let Mufreesboro host the Spring Fling. If you can't keep up with a boring 2-1 soccer game some other way then bring it back to the Chattanooga area where Baseball and Softball rule.

wow... "crappy soccer and tennis... " "boring soccer"??? baseball and softball rule in Chattanooga? Hopefully better attitudes prevail there somewhere too? No need to be insulting to other sports that kids choose and put their hard work and effort in because you are upset off about paying for a state tournament... not sure that is what this website is about.

wow... "crappy soccer and tennis... " "boring soccer"??? baseball and softball rule in Chattanooga? Hopefully better attitudes prevail there somewhere too? No need to be insulting to other sports that kids choose and put their hard work and effort in because you are upset off about paying for a state tournament... not sure that is what this website is about.

Sorry if I can't stand soccer,tennis, etc. I am sure the kids work hard but it isn't going to make me watch it. And it doesn't change the fact that Baseball and Softball help cover these sports. Once again my point was that I am ticked off about the schools not getting compensated for expenses. I don't mind paying if the money is used in the best possible way. I would still gripe about having to pay for a 3 year old either way. And I believe this is a Baseball board and this is what it is for. To express yourself within reason. I have not put down any athletes who are competing. I have stated my opinion that soccer and tennis stink. Athletes that work hard(whatever the sport) have my respect, but i don't have to like the sport. That is my opinion and I am entitled to it.

Sorry if I can't stand soccer,tennis, etc. I am sure the kids work hard but it isn't going to make me watch it. And it doesn't change the fact that Baseball and Softball help cover these sports. Once again my point was that I am ticked off about the schools not getting compensated for expenses. I don't mind paying if the money is used in the best possible way. I would still gripe about having to pay for a 3 year old either way. And I believe this is a Baseball board and this is what it is for. To express yourself within reason. I have not put down any athletes who are competing. I have stated my opinion that soccer and tennis stink. Athletes that work hard(whatever the sport) have my respect, but i don't have to like the sport. That is my opinion and I am entitled to it.

I seriously doubt if baseball and softball receipts "carry" anything with reference to expenses. If I am not mistaken ALL sports in "spring fling" lose money. Football and possibly basketball are the only two sports that make any money whatsoever. That's why teams in those sports get some expense money.

your team must have gotten beat thats why you are mad about spending your money to watch your child play at the STATE. Alot of team and parents don't even know or will ever get to know to thrills your are enjoying this week.

Just cut back on the extra packs of cigs or cut back on one six pack and you have the $5 buck you are upset about.

Sorry dude. I do not smoke, drink, or chew or go with boys that do. And by the way, my son's team will be playing on Friday.

The TSSAA is a joke, they don't give a crap about what's best for high school athletics, they are just trying to bring in more money to pay their overinflated salaries, they will be trying to cut into pee-wee football and baseball next and your 4 year old won't be able to play catch in the front yard with dad during "blackout" times. The caliber of officials we are getting at games now are a direct reflection of their lack of give a care. We would have been better off if Brentwood had bankrupted them during their long going saga of a few years ago.

I seriously doubt if baseball and softball receipts "carry" anything with reference to expenses. If I am not mistaken ALL sports in "spring fling" lose money. Football and possibly basketball are the only two sports that make any money whatsoever. That's why teams in those sports get some expense money.

I don't doubt it. The sports are all lumped into this one big event called Spring Fling. If the entire event doesn't make money then nobody gets compensated. They don't seperate revenue into Baseball, Softball, etc. I believe Football, Basketball, Baseball, and Softball all make money, but Football and Basketball don't have any other sports involved in their championships. Baseball has more games during the State than Football and probably just as many if not more than Basketball(if they are still single elimination). It is hard to believe Baseball and Softball don't make as much money as Football and Basketball. I love the Olympic style atmosphere but if they can't start helping these schools out with expenses we need to go back to having each sport at seperate venues.

The TSSAA is a joke, they don't give a crap about what's best for high school athletics, they are just trying to bring in more money to pay their overinflated salaries, they will be trying to cut into pee-wee football and baseball next and your 4 year old won't be able to play catch in the front yard with dad during "blackout" times. The caliber of officials we are getting at games now are a direct reflection of their lack of give a care. We would have been better off if Brentwood had bankrupted them during their long going saga of a few years ago.

Hey there Chief...I as well as a lot of other umpires take exception to your comment about the officials at the state tourney. I have worked in two state tourn in the past five years and was asked two other times, but couldn't go. I consider it very complimentary to be asked because the local associations who try to send their top officials if possible. Maybe you should consider this...The last year the tournament was in Memphis, I (a business owner myself) arranged my schedule so I could leave my business for a week, drove a total of 1100 miles, and worked several games in the tournament. I thoroughly enjoyed my time on the field with NO problems at all. For someone to say the umps do this for the money might just be a little out of line. I received approx 600.00 for that weeks little "vacation". But, while I was in town for the tourn, I spent 150.00 on fuel ( which was way less than $2 a gal then), 400.00 on food , had my brand new truck broken into and damaged the first night I was there, costing me $250.00 deductible, plus the lost earnings I would have made at my company working for my customers. A real money maker, don't you think? I do it because I love the game and doing the best job I can. I worked with some very good umpires the whole week and would love doing it every year, but it is just not possible for me. They all made similar sacrifices ( time and expense) and were there for the same reasons (they love the game and doing the job). My suggestion to you is to gear up and make the calls . Or stay at home and be quiet.

It takes lots of money for all the schools to have the kind of programs they wish to have. The kids today do not realize how lucky they are to have the facilities and support they do. It takes money to put on the tournaments and run the programs throughout the state, whatever sport it is. Who gets what % is understood before any school decides to be a host or send a team. Their choice to do so or not. As far as paying to get in (although I do disagree with charging kids and younger anything), park etc., if you think it is too high, then plain and simple, DO NOT GO.

Enough of this little rant...congratulations to all the teams that made it this year.

$7 dollars a game for each session. That was 2 sessions today. $5 dollars to park. It would cost a player's parents $109 dollars just to get in the gates to see their kid play the whole tournament. The parking fee is ridiculous - especially when they charged people who parked off campus and tried to walk to the game. Can you spell R-I-P-O-F-F-?

The biggest ripoff is that you still have to pay $7.00 for a 3yr old that really doesn't even watch the game, but Mom And Dad couldn't leave them at home.

Hey there Chief...I as well as a lot of other umpires take exception to your comment about the officials at the state tourney. I have worked in two state tourn in the past five years and was asked two other times, but couldn't go. I consider it very complimentary to be asked because the local associations who try to send their top officials if possible. Maybe you should consider this...The last year the tournament was in Memphis, I (a business owner myself) arranged my schedule so I could leave my business for a week, drove a total of 1100 miles, and worked several games in the tournament. I thoroughly enjoyed my time on the field with NO problems at all. For someone to say the umps do this for the money might just be a little out of line. I received approx 600.00 for that weeks little "vacation". But, while I was in town for the tourn, I spent 150.00 on fuel ( which was way less than $2 a gal then), 400.00 on food , had my brand new truck broken into and damaged the first night I was there, costing me $250.00 deductible, plus the lost earnings I would have made at my company working for my customers. A real money maker, don't you think? I do it because I love the game and doing the best job I can. I worked with some very good umpires the whole week and would love doing it every year, but it is just not possible for me. They all made similar sacrifices ( time and expense) and were there for the same reasons (they love the game and doing the job). My suggestion to you is to gear up and make the calls . Or stay at home and be quiet.

It takes lots of money for all the schools to have the kind of programs they wish to have. The kids today do not realize how lucky they are to have the facilities and support they do. It takes money to put on the tournaments and run the programs throughout the state, whatever sport it is. Who gets what % is understood before any school decides to be a host or send a team. Their choice to do so or not. As far as paying to get in (although I do disagree with charging kids and younger anything), park etc., if you think it is too high, then plain and simple, DO NOT GO.

Enough of this little rant...congratulations to all the teams that made it this year.

Very well stated. As a coach, I don't have to agree with all your calls but cetainly respect those that try to make these special times for all the players. Doesn't sound like it is very profitable for anyone in the spring.