Spring Fling - Major Ripoff

greenergrass

Agree on the 3 yr olds. They should only start charging at school age or even 12 yrs and older. Most under 12 are there to play themselves.

Bad thing was several lights were out on the field for the night game. Doesnt TSSAA stop counting $ money enough to make sure the facilities are in proper order?

I am fixing to go and take my kids..are u telling me that we have to pay 7 bucks for the kids too?? What happens if I refuse to pay that price?

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The nice lady at Blackman would let them in yesterday. Who knows today. So be prepared to pay.

I am fixing to go and take my kids..are u telling me that we have to pay 7 bucks for the kids too?? What happens if I refuse to pay that price?

Without a doubt, there are changes that could be made by the TSSAA to make the tournament more family friendly. Reduced admission for children would be a great place to start, I've personally paid many times for my son to play behind the bleachers. However, when it comes to schools charging for parking you have to consider the circumstances. I definitely don't think you should be charged if you are not actually parking in the designated lot thats closest to the venue. If you don't want to pay for close parking, you should be able to walk the extra mile and not be charged. However, the schools hosting the tournament deserve something for all the man hours they are putting in. Many of the schools have gone to great expense to prepare the fields for play as well as the restrooms and concession stands. All of those people working are volunteers! At some schools, entire teams and parents are volunteering to work the tournament to make it a great experience for those athletes fortunate enough to still be playing. So enjoy your week and be glad you're there to watch and support your team instead of taking tickets for 5 hours.

i agree with the 2 year olds i think 6 is a good age to start chargin at BUT they charge 2 year olds in every event of TSSAA championship games from football to soccer....also...there is actually a LIMIT to how mayn players are suppose to be on the roster of a baseball team so no team should over the limit...but it is not a battle we choose to fight...

keep in mind that the host schools do NOT SET THE RULES we just follow them as close as we can we do make the money on parking and concessions but the rest goes to TSSAA...Keep in mind we have a lot of workers taking time off of work and coming to the park to work for the team without any PAY to them...while i know that our parents will go out of the way to take care of you and be courteous to you they have all taken time out of their day to help you so do not be mad at them for prices and expense

What should the TSSAA do? It will cost them aprox. $200.00 per game for umpires and another $50.00 per game for baseballs. They have to pay X number of $$$$$ per player & coach to the school for hotels and meals and they must pay for the umpires meals, hotel rooms and gas mileage. I have also been told that they have to pay Southern Athletic Fields to take care of all the fields for the whole tournament. The schools keep the concession stand profits and the parking while the TSSAA keeps the gate revenues which all expenses are paid from. It's probably costing the TSSAA around $1200.00 ($75.00 per room & 6 rooms per team) per team just for the hotel rooms and another $1000.00-$1200.00 ($25.00 per player & coach each day) for meals and we have not even discussed travel mileage.

Cost per baseball team (minium) $2500.00 X (D2,AAA,AA & A) 32 teams = $80,000.00 aprox. just for hotels, meals & travel & umpires are not included

The way that I see things most games will have a paid attendance of 100 fans X $7.00 = $700.00

$700.00 X arpox. 60 games = $42,000.00

That is a net loss of $38,000.00 and you have not even purchased baseballs or paid the umpires and their expenses.

I don't see how the TSSAA can continue keeping the doors open and hosting the Spring Fling

i agree with the 2 year olds i think 6 is a good age to start chargin at BUT they charge 2 year olds in every event of TSSAA championship games from football to soccer....also...there is actually a LIMIT to how mayn players are suppose to be on the roster of a baseball team so no team should over the limit...but it is not a battle we choose to fight...

keep in mind that the host schools do NOT SET THE RULES we just follow them as close as we can we do make the money on parking and concessions but the rest goes to TSSAA...Keep in mind we have a lot of workers taking time off of work and coming to the park to work for the team without any PAY to them...while i know that our parents will go out of the way to take care of you and be courteous to you they have all taken time out of their day to help you so do not be mad at them for prices and expense

Just to clarify, I didn't make any negative reference to any of the host parks. I understand that TSSAA is responsible. About the parents and coaches who volunteer their time at the Gate, Concessions, Field, etc. I sympathize. But don't act like it is all out of the goodness of your heart. The program benefits from parking and concessions or you wouldn't be hosting.

And to all the "Just be glad you have the opportunity" crap, It sounds like you are justifying the TSSAA taking advantage of the teams and fans who make it to the State. Once again I will stress my main point, I WOULD NOT CARE ABOUT PAYING SO MUCH IF THE SCHOOLS WHO MADE IT TO THE STATE WERE COMPENSATED(NO MATTER THE PERCENTAGE) FOR THEIR TRAVEL.

It seems that only the TSSAA and the host teams programs benefit. I don't blame the host schools. They would be stupid if they turned down the opportunity. But the TSSAA's game plan stinks if they aren't making enough money to help the programs.

Most of us on here are just disgruntled fans who have a place to vent. But I know several coaches who aren't happy about the situation and they are the ones who can and will make a difference.

Murfreesboro is a great centrally located site for Spring Fling, I don't think anyone would argue that. I was glad to see it moved from the extremely inconvenient West site. It is a great sports town with all the great MTSU programs. I want to see TSSAA do the right thing and show appreciation to the coaches, players, and fans from all schools. To me they just tolerate the sports to make the money. Can anyone give me an idea of the biggest expenses they have during these events. The host sites benefit from gate and concession so they shouldn't have to compensate them. Umpires and baseballs don't cost that much. Maybe I am just oblivious and need to be enlightened. If so, it is welcomed.

BTW... I don't smoke or drink so I guess I will have to find another way to save $7. I guess when Blue & Gold feels he or she is charged too much for something they keep their mouth shut. Yes we have lost out, but I was still upset when we won & I paid $7 for a 3 year old then another $7 at the 2nd session when we lost out. I am not old enough to have a kid on the team but I brought my family to murfreesboro to watch a great group of young men from LV play baseball, win or lose. When the fact that I am being taken advantage of by gate prices makes me question whether or not to take any part of my family to the game or leave them at home makes me sick. Especially knowing from the 2 previous years the baseball program wasn't going to get any help for travel expenses.

What should the TSSAA do? It will cost them aprox. $200.00 per game for umpires and another $50.00 per game for baseballs. They have to pay X number of $$$$$ per player & coach to the school for hotels and meals and they must pay for the umpires meals, hotel rooms and gas mileage. I have also been told that they have to pay Southern Athletic Fields to take care of all the fields for the whole tournament. The schools keep the concession stand profits and the parking while the TSSAA keeps the gate revenues which all expenses are paid from. It's probably costing the TSSAA around $1200.00 ($75.00 per room & 6 rooms per team) per team just for the hotel rooms and another $1000.00-$1200.00 ($25.00 per player & coach each day) for meals and we have not even discussed travel mileage.

Cost per baseball team (minium) $2500.00 X (D2,AAA,AA & A) 32 teams = $80,000.00 aprox. just for hotels, meals & travel & umpires are not included

The way that I see things most games will have a paid attendance of 100 fans X $7.00 = $700.00

That is a net loss of $38,000.00 and you have not even purchased baseballs or paid the umpires and their expenses.

I don't see how the TSSAA can continue keeping the doors open and hosting the Spring Fling

Do some more research. They don't pay for hotels, meals, and travel for the teams.

haha that's funny Ronnie Carter. TSSAA paying for team's hotels and meals? hahahah /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

They do not pay hotel or food for the umps.Mileage and game fee is all.And only the person driving gets the mileage because the three umps come from the same association.So it is more of a HONOR to get to call State games for the hard work through the year.Not the $$$$$$$$$$$$$$.So yes the fans are getting the screws but to them I agree.They even tried to charge some umps this year to park.

They do not pay hotel or food for the umps.Milage and game fee is all.And only the person driving gets the mileage because the three umps come from the same association.So it is more of a HONOR to get to call State games for the hard work through the year.Not the $$$$$$$$$$$$$$.So yes the fans are getting the screws but to them I agree.They even tried to charge some umps this year to park.

Wrong!

Umpires do get hotels paid for. and typically umpires from the same association do not work together. It is unusual to have 3 from the same association anyway.

haha that's funny Ronnie Carter. TSSAA paying for team's hotels and meals? hahahah /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

I am just the kind of person that does not just throw my money away......If i wnat to walk and not pay to park, that is my business. If you have a sold out facility then I can see charging anyone who might use a seat, but charging a breast feeding baby is rediculous. I havent seen a sold out game ever. Doing these absurd practices is the reason fans bring their own refreshments instead of purchasing them from the field. Keep everything within reason so more people can afford to come and you would probably draw more people whom would pay more to park and spend more for concessions. Does you understand this reasoning?