Spring Fling - Major Ripoff

greenergrass

Sorry if I can't stand soccer,tennis, etc. I am sure the kids work hard but it isn't going to make me watch it. And it doesn't change the fact that Baseball and Softball help cover these sports. Once again my point was that I am ticked off about the schools not getting compensated for expenses. I don't mind paying if the money is used in the best possible way. I would still gripe about having to pay for a 3 year old either way. And I believe this is a Baseball board and this is what it is for. To express yourself within reason. I have not put down any athletes who are competing. I have stated my opinion that soccer and tennis stink. Athletes that work hard(whatever the sport) have my respect, but i don't have to like the sport. That is my opinion and I am entitled to it.

You are entitled to your opinion,however classless it may be, but why would you choose to berate the other less popular sports because you prefer baseball and softball. Just because this happens to be a baseball board doesn't excuse your lack of sportsmanship and respect for other sports. I enjoy most sports but you would be hard pressed to find a more conditioned athlete than a soccer player. I'm just guessing if you don't enjoy these sports, you probably just don't understand them. The more popular sports may get bigger gates but that only means that those teams are probably doing more fundraising because they can't rely on their gate all year to cover their season and post season expenses.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey there Chief...I as well as a lot of other umpires take exception to your comment about the officials at the state tourney. I have worked in two state tourn in the past five years and was asked two other times, but couldn't go. I consider it very complimentary to be asked because the local associations who try to send their top officials if possible. Maybe you should consider this...The last year the tournament was in Memphis, I (a business owner myself) arranged my schedule so I could leave my business for a week, drove a total of 1100 miles, and worked several games in the tournament. I thoroughly enjoyed my time on the field with NO problems at all. For someone to say the umps do this for the money might just be a little out of line. I received approx 600.00 for that weeks little "vacation". But, while I was in town for the tourn, I spent 150.00 on fuel ( which was way less than $2 a gal then), 400.00 on food , had my brand new truck broken into and damaged the first night I was there, costing me $250.00 deductible, plus the lost earnings I would have made at my company working for my customers. A real money maker, don't you think? I do it because I love the game and doing the best job I can. I worked with some very good umpires the whole week and would love doing it every year, but it is just not possible for me. They all made similar sacrifices ( time and expense) and were there for the same reasons (they love the game and doing the job). My suggestion to you is to gear up and make the calls . Or stay at home and be quiet.

It takes lots of money for all the schools to have the kind of programs they wish to have. The kids today do not realize how lucky they are to have the facilities and support they do. It takes money to put on the tournaments and run the programs throughout the state, whatever sport it is. Who gets what % is understood before any school decides to be a host or send a team. Their choice to do so or not. As far as paying to get in (although I do disagree with charging kids and younger anything), park etc., if you think it is too high, then plain and simple, DO NOT GO.

Enough of this little rant...congratulations to all the teams that made it this year.

Obviosly you did not see the three idiots calling the Marion and Goodpasture game. There are some very good umps out there and I appreciate what you say you had to go through to do your job. But at this level and with what we as parents are having to pay, and with the time and work that our boys have to put into the game to compete at this level, you would expect better professionals than what we saw at Smyrna. Not one umpire used an indicator. They got confused and that led to a major cluster___k. Once again there are a lot of good umpires out there. Just not these three.

your team must have gotten beat thats why you are mad about spending your money to watch your child play at the STATE. Alot of team and parents don't even know or will ever get to know to thrills your are enjoying this week.

Just cut back on the extra packs of cigs or cut back on one six pack and you have the $5 buck you are upset about.

Or maybe BA could knock off a lawsuit or two and the rest of the membership wouldn't be subsidizing the TSSAA legal fees through parking fees.

Nobody minds to pay a tournament fee, but they don't want to feel like they're being gouged and fees for games AND parking is over the top. Parking should be included with the price of admission.

I also saw a coach have to pay for some of his own players in uniform to get in the game. The gatekeepers absolutely were not going to let them in the game without paying. What is wrong with these people? If I were taking tickets at the gate, that would be one time where common sense would have to rule over "rules". The TSSAA needs to do a better job in instructing these workers in common sense and goodwill.

You need to get your facts right and your coach should follow the roster rule for state tournament. The host schools are instructed and the head coaches are told that on a certain number of kids are allowed on the roster, all others have to pay to get in. Head coaches know this up front. If you want to blame someone blame the head coach or tssaa for the rule. The volunteers are just doing what they are told.

your team must have gotten beat thats why you are mad about spending your money to watch your child play at the STATE. Alot of team and parents don't even know or will ever get to know to thrills your are enjoying this week.

Just cut back on the extra packs of cigs or cut back on one six pack and you have the $5 buck you are upset about.

MAN and everybody says i'm a jerk. Yes it is a honor and sometimes a once in a lifetime opportunity,

with that being said let tssaa show us a recap after tournament of expenses and reciepts. Not only

from what they are charging at the parks, but how much the city or county from murfreesboro pays

out to have this for the tax revenues and also the hotel rebates and sponsorships. Because it looks

like from all the comments no one really knows who gets what from who. and i would think that would be a

matter of public record unless tssaa is a dictatorship

I don't think its to big of ripoff because its only one of very few fun raisers the tssaa gets per year

JUST A QUESION, DID ANYONE SEE RONNIE CARTER AT ANY GAMES. ANY SPORT IS JUST A MONEY GAME.HAVE TO BE TO SURVIVE.TROMO HAS BEEN A BASHER FROM DAY 1. HAVE THE ALL DISTICRT TEAMS BEEN REPORTED

MAN and everybody says i'm a jerk. Yes it is a honor and sometimes a once in a lifetime opportunity,

with that being said let tssaa show us a recap after tournament of expenses and reciepts. Not only

from what they are charging at the parks, but how much the city or county from murfreesboro pays

out to have this for the tax revenues and also the hotel rebates and sponsorships. Because it looks

like from all the comments no one really knows who gets what from who. and i would think that would be a

matter of public record unless tssaa is a dictatorship

they do make it public and i am not sure when it comes out

JUST A QUESION, DID ANYONE SEE RONNIE CARTER AT ANY GAMES. ANY SPORT IS JUST A MONEY GAME.HAVE TO BE TO SURVIVE.TROMO HAS BEEN A BASHER FROM DAY 1. HAVE THE ALL DISTICRT TEAMS BEEN REPORTED

I believe I read in a newspaper that Mr. Carter was supervising all Track and Field this week.

Yes we dropped a lot of money this week but I will tell you without hesitation that Spring Fling is one of the most exciting things going in High School Sports. Move to Florida where we came from two years ago... The boys are limited to 25 games during the season (season starts in February and ends a couple of weeks before Tennesee) in baseball then the District-Region-tournament is single elimination (Sectionals are best 2 out of 3) with enough space between games for an unstoppable "ace" to pitch almost every game... Very few surprises. As the "ace" goes so goes the tournament. Then when you get to State it is only four teams and single elimination. Every sport is in a different town and different venue... It is pathetic.

Spring Fling is awesome. It is in the middle of the state (that should make sense---I'm sure Science Hill prefers the "boro" over Memphis for a venue and Bartlett prefers the "boro" over Knoxville or Chattanooga) and it is fun to see all the paint on the cars, the teams and fans from the various schools and sports in the restaurants. It is an EVENT WHICH IT SHOULD BE. The kids deserve it. Most of them aren't going to play college ball so this is it.... I bumped into several people I haven't seen since college and met their families---pretty cool experience. I imagine it costs a significant amount of money to run this thing so I'm not going to complain...

Now paying $7.00 to watch a single game that lasts a little over a hour where both pitchers strike out a dozen, the only hits are bunts and bloops and the final score is 1-0 after 9 innings... that is a ripoff... (I exaggerate a little but I'm trying to make a point) TSSAA RULES OVER FHSAA!!! Go Spring Fling!!!

Minus the "crappy" part of my statement the truth is that baseball and softball cover for these sports. Agree or Disagree?

The "crappy" part of your statement was the absurd part.

I don't doubt it. The sports are all lumped into this one big event called Spring Fling. If the entire event doesn't make money then nobody gets compensated. They don't seperate revenue into Baseball, Softball, etc. I believe Football, Basketball, Baseball, and Softball all make money, but Football and Basketball don't have any other sports involved in their championships. Baseball has more games during the State than Football and probably just as many if not more than Basketball(if they are still single elimination). It is hard to believe Baseball and Softball don't make as much money as Football and Basketball. I love the Olympic style atmosphere but if they can't start helping these schools out with expenses we need to go back to having each sport at seperate venues.

Football tournament has 31 games per class * 5 classes = 155 games with crowds 3 and 4 times every baseball game + D II....this guy is an idiot.

The "crappy" part of your statement was the absurd part.

Football tournament has 31 games per class * 5 classes = 155 games with crowds 3 and 4 times every baseball game + D II....this guy is an idiot.

their is a HUGE difference in attendence between football and baseball...in football your gonna get about 10,000 people for a 5A playoff game in the later rounds in baseball a the finals at RIVERDALE there was a little over 200