Spring Fling - Major Ripoff

greenergrass

Amen on charging a 3 yr old. Talk about ridiculous. I would like to hear someones justification for that. Just proves to me that it is all about the money.

What about charging a player? Lookout Valley had to pay for 2 players(in uniform) because they weren't given enough passes. Later they were told by the TSSAA representative "all you had to do was ask I could have gotten you more". That would have been great if he had been present on the first day & first game of the tournament at the MTCS site.

Also from my understanding baseball and softball have to cover for Soccer, Tennis and all the other crappy sports that don't bring in revenue.

Someone correct me if I am wrong but I heard South Pittsburgh recieved $30,000 in compensation for playoff expenses during football. They played all home games until the Championship. Explain that. They say football brings in more money and that is their excuse. You are telling me all the District , Region, Sectionals, and State Playoffs in baseball doesn't make more. More Games + More "Sessions" + More venues + charging toddlers and players + Parking = TSSAA stinks.

And to Mr. "I would pay double to watch my son play in the State" I agree as long as the money is returned to my sons program who's school has to fund their whole trip. Even a small percentage would be a better gesture than the excuse they were given 2 years ago that they had to put up Soccer scoreboards so they could let Mufreesboro host the Spring Fling. If you can't keep up with a boring 2-1 soccer game some other way then bring it back to the Chattanooga area where Baseball and Softball rule.

We did have some good crowds and it is not our fault that the playoff schedule was in our favor as far as all our playoff games being at home. We were darned lucky!!!! I did hear that SP was 2nd in ticket sales for the championship games. Should we make the playoffs this year and be successful, I bet we will have to travel a BUNCH!! I don't know what the total amount SP received was but if I am not mistaken, TSSAA gets 50% of ALL ticket sales then the other 50% is equally divided among the host school and visiting school. My 2 year old grandson also had to have a ticket to all the games which I think is totally ridiculous. My big complaint is that in football, the TSSAA gets 50% of all playoff ticket sales, then when championship games/tournaments come to be, they have a corporate sponsor that covers what?? I think some of the revenue made on these tournaments and playoffs should be spent on the kids that make the tournaments possible. It seems that our kids are used to make money but you never see any money spent to reward the participants unless they win, then all they get is a team trophy, maybe a medallion from TSSAA. Stop and think about it, it certainly seems our kids help generate a lot more money than what is spent on them. I have always thought that, but just thank GOD that your child gets to participate in a championship process. It is priceless when you really stop and think about it. It is one thing that can never be taken away from him/her. BUT, I agree, some of the charges are ridiculous!!

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

just curious. If the tssaa gets a cut of the gate how do they know what paid attendance is. if it is by tickets why are tickets not being given out at some venues seems like this might be a good way to skim some money off the top before the tssaa gets a hold of the ticket books. just curious

Just to clarify, I didn't make any negative reference to any of the host parks. I understand that TSSAA is responsible. About the parents and coaches who volunteer their time at the Gate, Concessions, Field, etc. I sympathize. But don't act like it is all out of the goodness of your heart. The program benefits from parking and concessions or you wouldn't be hosting.And to all the "Just be glad you have the opportunity" crap, It sounds like you are justifying the TSSAA taking advantage of the teams and fans who make it to the State. Once again I will stress my main point, I WOULD NOT CARE ABOUT PAYING SO MUCH IF THE SCHOOLS WHO MADE IT TO THE STATE WERE COMPENSATED(NO MATTER THE PERCENTAGE) FOR THEIR TRAVEL.It seems that only the TSSAA and the host teams programs benefit. I don't blame the host schools. They would be stupid if they turned down the opportunity. But the TSSAA's game plan stinks if they aren't making enough money to help the programs.Most of us on here are just disgruntled fans who have a place to vent. But I know several coaches who aren't happy about the situation and they are the ones who can and will make a difference.Murfreesboro is a great centrally located site for Spring Fling, I don't think anyone would argue that. I was glad to see it moved from the extremely inconvenient West site. It is a great sports town with all the great MTSU programs. I want to see TSSAA do the right thing and show appreciation to the coaches, players, and fans from all schools. To me they just tolerate the sports to make the money. Can anyone give me an idea of the biggest expenses they have during these events. The host sites benefit from gate and concession so they shouldn't have to compensate them. Umpires and baseballs don't cost that much. Maybe I am just oblivious and need to be enlightened. If so, it is welcomed.BTW... I don't smoke or drink so I guess I will have to find another way to save $7. I guess when Blue & Gold feels he or she is charged too much for something they keep their mouth shut. Yes we have lost out, but I was still upset when we won & I paid $7 for a 3 year old then another $7 at the 2nd session when we lost out. I am not old enough to have a kid on the team but I brought my family to murfreesboro to watch a great group of young men from LV play baseball, win or lose. When the fact that I am being taken advantage of by gate prices makes me question whether or not to take any part of my family to the game or leave them at home makes me sick. Especially knowing from the 2 previous years the baseball program wasn't going to get any help for travel expenses.

just to clarify i did not quote you so i wasnt pointing you out i was making a genral statement...and the point about making money i was reminding you that the parents are not making money the program is making some money...just curious though what is it that you are refferring to about the TSSAA doing the right thing?...and if you look at any programs expenses UMPIRES AND BASEBALLS are almost half the budget

just curious. If the tssaa gets a cut of the gate how do they know what paid attendance is. if it is by tickets why are tickets not being given out at some venues seems like this might be a good way to skim some money off the top before the tssaa gets a hold of the ticket books. just curious

this is something you might want to report to the site director each site will have one

They do not pay hotel or food for the umps.Mileage and game fee is all.And only the person driving gets the mileage because the three umps come from the same association.So it is more of a HONOR to get to call State games for the hard work through the year.Not the $$$$$$$$$$$$$$.So yes the fans are getting the screws but to them I agree.They even tried to charge some umps this year to park.

They pay for the officials hotel, food & mileage for other sports.

just to clarify i did not quote you so i wasnt pointing you out i was making a genral statement...and the point about making money i was reminding you that the parents are not making money the program is making some money...just curious though what is it that you are refferring to about the TSSAA doing the right thing?...and if you look at any programs expenses UMPIRES AND BASEBALLS are almost half the budgetthis is something you might want to report to the site director each site will have one

Sorry, you were the last post I read and your post was referring to points I made. I never said that parents were making money. I realize it goes to the program. Sorry if I didn't make it clear. Once again I will say the right thing to do would be give the programs compensation for travel expenses. I know what a baseball budget consists of and what the major expenses are. If I once sounded like I didn't know what I was talking about I apologize. But thank you for pointing out that programs have to pay for umpires and baseballs. Sounds like you have a good relationship with the TSSAA. If that is where you want to hitch your wagon then that is your choice. JUST TO CLARIFY, your program makes money off the State Playoffs while schools who play get no compensation for expenses. I guess I would defend the TSSAA too.

They pay for the officials hotel, food & mileage for other sports.

IF they do pay for the officials hotel, food and mileage- maybe they should put a cap or give them a budget of X amount of dollars to be used for meals and for mileage, anything over would be the umps responsibility. My only problem with the 7 buck admission for all is the ecomony is soooo tight right now and with teams traveling so far, paying for gas, hotels and eating out it makes it hard on alot of families. By the way, I didn't pay for my very young kids to get in, I gladley handed them my 7, said come on kids and off we went. I did hear one lady at the table say "I'm not gonna do that to them." meaning make us pay for the kids...that was very nice of her.....thank you nice lady. BUT, they did make up for the lost 14 at the concession stand..gotta keep the kiddies hydrated and fed. all in all it was a good day that the ball field.

IF they do pay for the officials hotel, food and mileage- maybe they should put a cap or give them a budget of X amount of dollars to be used for meals and for mileage, anything over would be the umps responsibility. My only problem with the 7 buck admission for all is the ecomony is soooo tight right now and with teams traveling so far, paying for gas, hotels and eating out it makes it hard on alot of families. By the way, I didn't pay for my very young kids to get in, I gladley handed them my 7, said come on kids and off we went. I did hear one lady at the table say "I'm not gonna do that to them." meaning make us pay for the kids...that was very nice of her.....thank you nice lady. BUT, they did make up for the lost 14 at the concession stand..gotta keep the kiddies hydrated and fed. all in all it was a good day that the ball field.

Good answer.........Let the kids in, they will spend alot more on candy and food....Ronnie Carter certainly should understand this. If not....I would rather not say

Also from my understanding baseball and softball have to cover for Soccer, Tennis and all the other crappy sports that don't bring in revenue.

Why down these sports? These kids work hard and deserve just as much as the "more popular" sports.

What should the TSSAA do? It will cost them aprox. $200.00 per game for umpires and another $50.00 per game for baseballs. They have to pay X number of $$$$$ per player & coach to the school for hotels and meals and they must pay for the umpires meals, hotel rooms and gas mileage. I have also been told that they have to pay Southern Athletic Fields to take care of all the fields for the whole tournament. The schools keep the concession stand profits and the parking while the TSSAA keeps the gate revenues which all expenses are paid from. It's probably costing the TSSAA around $1200.00 ($75.00 per room & 6 rooms per team) per team just for the hotel rooms and another $1000.00-$1200.00 ($25.00 per player & coach each day) for meals and we have not even discussed travel mileage.

Cost per baseball team (minium) $2500.00 X (D2,AAA,AA & A) 32 teams = $80,000.00 aprox. just for hotels, meals & travel & umpires are not included

The way that I see things most games will have a paid attendance of 100 fans X $7.00 = $700.00

$700.00 X arpox. 60 games = $42,000.00

That is a net loss of $38,000.00 and you have not even purchased baseballs or paid the umpires and their expenses.

I don't see how the TSSAA can continue keeping the doors open and hosting the Spring Fling

TSSAA Does not pay team expenses, schools get a share. 1 individual tennis team = $17 in 2005....hardly anywhere near the expenses to Memphis.

Nope, for playoff games the TSSAA gets 50% of the gate, the two schools split the last 25%. The school that hosts gets concessions and parking as always.

The schools don't split the other 25%, until the state tournament, it's equal 1/3s AFTER expenses.

All said, I think things have gone really well. You can't blame the hosts venues for making money, the workers put in countless hours of free labor.