another indignity for D2

Well, I guess I can put the manipulation of the attendances and attempts to show relative interest in football to bed. DII football is just uninteresting. I will say this - as a high school football fan, I watch all of the games I can: public or private, urban or rural, small school or big school. I don't take off work to watch that deliciously advertising-attractive 3:30PM Friday 1A game, but I would watch it if I were home. And I'll also say this - having seen both DI and DII title games over the years, if fans aren't interested in watching DII games (particularly the large class ones) over some of the DI games, then this public-private split has caused deeper wounds than I realize, because fans are missing out on some good football in the DII large games.

Agreed, BigHurt - DII is not being treated fairly. I, for one, will not lose any sleep over it, however.

It will be interesting to see the TV package for the DI title games in 2009. Three games on Friday and three on Saturday? Oooh baby - a 12:00 PM, watered-down 1A game on Friday? Buy your out-of-the-money call options in TiVo stock now and get ready for some ten-baggers in a year-and-a-half with all the recording that will be going on that day!

And, of course, we potentially have the "SportsCenter-style show following each night of Spring Fling" to look forward to in 2009. I can just see the promo tag now: "We now take you to Murfreesboro for the girls 1A shot put highlights - 'cause we know you love that more than DII football!"

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I did not say that D2 football was uninteresting. D2 AAA teams are among the best in the state year in and year out. Rivalry games within D2 like MBA/BA, MBA/Ryan, Baylor/McCallie (maybe, Ensworth/MBA or BA some day) are as intense as any high school games anywhere in Tennessee. Even though the D2 teams playing at a very high level, their championship games often do not draw huge crowds. I think that one reason why is that these games are often a rematch of a regular season game. Last year's title game was an example. I don't think anyone thought BA would beat MBA after watching MBA dominate them during their regular season game.

BTW. I agree that 6 D1 championship games in football is just silly.

I did not say that D2 football was uninteresting.

Not implying you were...just marveling at those who think the DII football is not being broadcast due to lack of interest. As itzme said (and I think big red big blue said it as well on this or another thread), Comcast isn't broadcasting the DI games because they are overwhelming money-makers with lots of interest and an advertiser's dream. Something else is in play here.

Not implying you were...just marveling at those who think the DII football is not being broadcast due to lack of interest. As itzme said (and I think big red big blue said it as well on this or another thread), Comcast isn't broadcasting the DI games because they are overwhelming money-makers with lots of interest and an advertiser's dream. Something else is in play here.

I do think it is an injustice DII is not televised. However...I do think it is lack of interest.

I do think it is an injustice DII is not televised. However...I do think it is lack of interest.

TSSAA's handling of DII has never been about fairness or justice. They wish the DII teams would simply dry up and blow away (after leaving their dues and playoff game recepts, of course). Having lived through 10 years of it, I guess I'm just over it. Nothing will change. It's a given, and life moves on.

I would really like to see D2 move to a more "SEC Championship game" type format rather than play-offs. Or I would even be fine just having us play for a title that is determined in the regular season (like the Ivy League), and then ending the year with a big festive rivalry weekend. I wrote it a few years back, but after having attended something like this on the east coast, I would love to end the season with MBA-BA on thanksgiving day on campus. But as it stands now, the regular season games aren't all that important (MBA beat both Ryan and BA in the regular season last year, and still had to play both again in the play-offs).

Of course, our having to defend or explain our attendance figures after what the TSSAA did to us (8 team division, location, timing) is sort of like a plastic surgeon botching a surgery, wrecking a patient's face, and then asking her, "why do you have so much trouble getting asked on dates?" The most attended recent state title game took place in '95, when BA-Riverdale drew over 20,000 to Vanderbilt. Nothing D1 has put forth since has come close to that. Seems like we did more than fine when we were given equal footing with D1.

But I really agree with RRR...As a private supporter I would still tune in to watch the 4A or 5A state title games, especially when there is "star power." We have had tons of "star power" recently in D2, none more so than when McCallie featured BJ Coleman who might eventually be Tennessee's starting qb. If people who are high school football fans really chose to not watch BA-McCallie that year because "they're private," then RRR nailed it--this split really has gone beyond sports and is into some deeply personal territory.

I would really like to see D2 move to a more "SEC Championship game" type format rather than play-offs. Or I would even be fine just having us play for a title that is determined in the regular season (like the Ivy League), and then ending the year with a big festive rivalry weekend. I wrote it a few years back, but after having attended something like this on the east coast, I would love to end the season with MBA-BA on thanksgiving day on campus. But as it stands now, the regular season games aren't all that important (MBA beat both Ryan and BA in the regular season last year, and still had to play both again in the play-offs).

Of course, our having to defend or explain our attendance figures after what the TSSAA did to us (8 team division, location, timing) is sort of like a plastic surgeon botching a surgery, wrecking a patient's face, and then asking her, "why do you have so much trouble getting asked on dates?" The most attended recent state title game took place in '95, when BA-Riverdale drew over 20,000 to Vanderbilt. Nothing D1 has put forth since has come close to that. Seems like we did more than fine when we were given equal footing with D1.

But I really agree with RRR...As a private supporter I would still tune in to watch the 4A or 5A state title games, especially when there is "star power." We have had tons of "star power" recently in D2, none more so than when McCallie featured BJ Coleman who might eventually be Tennessee's starting qb. If people who are high school football fans really chose to not watch BA-McCallie that year because "they're private," then RRR nailed it--this split really has gone beyond sports and is into some deeply personal territory.

JMO, but the slpit/divide between the public schools and the private schools has become very personal. The divide seems to be more with the public school adminstration and not with the private schools. Up until this point the private school people seem to show very little emotion when it comes to playing and working with the public school institutions. I do feel that in a short period of time the private school folks will draw a line in the sand and say that they have had enough and force the BOC to change their behavior or risk all of the private schools leaving the TSSAA.

I did not say that D2 football was uninteresting. D2 AAA teams are among the best in the state year in and year out. Rivalry games within D2 like MBA/BA, MBA/Ryan, Baylor/McCallie (maybe, Ensworth/MBA or BA some day) are as intense as any high school games anywhere in Tennessee. Even though the D2 teams playing at a very high level, their championship games often do not draw huge crowds. I think that one reason why is that these games are often a rematch of a regular season game. Last year's title game was an example. I don't think anyone thought BA would beat MBA after watching MBA dominate them during their regular season game.

BTW. I agree that 6 D1 championship games in football is just silly.

How come nobody has said anything about the enrollment sizes of the schools? The 5A game brings the biggest crowd because they have the most kids.... D2 schools have low enrollments, hence the smaller crowds at games, I dont think it has anything to do with it being a repeat game (look at the Goodpasture vs. Alcoa the past three years). Oh and btw, MBA didnt kill BA in the reg. season, the score was 13-7

i think some public school parents do not have the oney to travel to watch the games so they should be telivised and if you can afford to send your kids to private school you can afford to make it to the game wherever in the state in may be

i think some public school parents do not have the oney to travel to watch the games so they should be telivised and if you can afford to send your kids to private school you can afford to make it to the game wherever in the state in may be

I'm not talking about lack of interest from parents. I mean lack of interest from the general

population.