another indignity for D2

cbg,

Since you have not answered my question about unreasonable expectations, I can only assume either you think that equal treatment is an unreasonable expectation or you just want the all private schools to leave the TSSAA or you don't care about fairness or some combination of those three.

BTW. big red blue blue answered my hypothetical question and I agree with his answer. MTSU would never ask for the D1 football championships to be re-scheduled or they would not be hosting them in the future.

I don't understand what your question is or what you are looking for? Give me an example and I will try to answer your question.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In todays Chattanooga Times Free Press, there was a quote in Stephen Hargis's article that shows how the Board of Control probably acts. He quoted the Chattanoooga representative, Tommy Layne of Sequatchie who referred to everything as "we" and "they". Obviously, the board can't set aside their own personal situations to look at what is best for the whole. His whole comment was divisive, as I kept reading (and getting more frustrated) I was waiting for the typical "Some of my best friends are....".

IMO, when you represent a district in a governing body, you represent the whole district. Not we or they, but all. It would be better if one didn't make such comments so divisive publicly. It would be wonderful, to see efforts to work together. It just lends itself to really point out the lack of representation of privates schools, DI or DII.

In todays Chattanooga Times Free Press, there was a quote in Stephen Hargis's article that shows how the Board of Control probably acts. He quoted the Chattanoooga representative, Tommy Layne of Sequatchie who referred to everything as "we" and "they". Obviously, the board can't set aside their own personal situations to look at what is best for the whole. His whole comment was divisive, as I kept reading (and getting more frustrated) I was waiting for the typical "Some of my best friends are....".

IMO, when you represent a district in a governing body, you represent the whole district. Not we or they, but all. It would be better if one didn't make such comments so divisive publicly. It would be wonderful, to see efforts to work together. It just lends itself to really point out the lack of representation of privates schools, DI or DII.

Do you have a link to the article?

He was speaking as a principal in the quotes you mentioned and he does get input from the schools in the area he represents as a TSSAA board member. If he and the others were out to get the private schools or at least the Division I private schools, they would have been booted last week or a few years ago-they weren't then despite the 200-80 vote mentioned.

This quote by the Grace AD sums up the "fear factor" I've mentioned previously:

???A public-private split is the largest subgroup (public schools) with the most power deciding whether or not they will tolerate a minority subgroup (Division I private schools) whose occasional successes have been a source of annoyance,??? Grace Academy athletic director Les Compton said. ???All private schools do not have the same mission statement, the same values, the same entrance requirements and certainly not the same financial backing or facilities."

And all private schools wouldn't be playing in the same classification, so he wouldn't have to worry about playing McCallie if that's what he's implying. I can't believe he's this misinformed so I think he's just throwing this out as an excuse not to play Division II. Going against similar schools all the time, such as Temple and CCS in basketball, would be quite a bit tougher than playing Copper Basin and Lookout Valley. This is the AD of a school that had two 6'10" players on the boys' basketball team last season, in addition to a dynamic guard who's tearing it up this summer in AAU. Two of those three return. And that's at a school with about 180 in 9-12. They also have a quarterback getting Division I-A attention and entering 9th grade will be probably the best middle school football player I saw last fall. How many public schools with less than 200 people have four probable Division I signees over two years? I'm pretty sure I've read similar quotes from this AD before.

Mr. Layne may have been speaking as a principal. The author or he should make that very clear. But it still speaks to the issue of no representation on the board with a feeling of no real voice in the matter.

Bighurt, my answer to your question would be that every member has the reasonable expectation of fair representation and consistency.

How many public schools with less than 200 people have four probable Division I signees over two years? I'm pretty sure I've read similar quotes from this AD before.

Bradford Girls Basketball team from years 2000-2001 had 2 girls go Division 1 (Jenny Lannom, Miss Basketball and Danielle Page to UTM) and 2 (Jessica Henson - Miss Basketball twice and Jennifer Henson)go to Union University who won NAIA National Championship. Jessica was recruited heavily by multiple Division I schools.......Bradford is a public school, around 200 kids, ONE SPORT (7 State Championships), 2 Division 1 signess and another that could have easily. It does happen.

They are both incompetent and just oblivious to anything DII. The marginalization is simply a side benefit!

Like in software that I write, I don't call a problem a "bug": I call it an "undocumented feature". /cool.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="B)" border="0" alt="cool.gif" />

Bradford Girls Basketball team from years 2000-2001 had 2 girls go Division 1 (Jenny Lannom, Miss Basketball and Danielle Page to UTM) and 2 (Jessica Henson - Miss Basketball twice and Jennifer Henson)go to Union University who won NAIA National Championship. Jessica was recruited heavily by multiple Division I schools.......Bradford is a public school, around 200 kids, ONE SPORT (7 State Championships), 2 Division 1 signess and another that could have easily. It does happen.

You don't get it, do you? Girls' basketball doesn't count! (It is the exception to "private schools dominate" that tends to break down the arguments.)

He was speaking as a principal in the quotes you mentioned and he does get input from the schools in the area he represents as a TSSAA board member. If he and the others were out to get the private schools or at least the Division I private schools, they would have been booted last week or a few years ago-they weren't then despite the 200-80 vote mentioned.

This quote by the Grace AD sums up the "fear factor" I've mentioned previously:

???A public-private split is the largest subgroup (public schools) with the most power deciding whether or not they will tolerate a minority subgroup (Division I private schools) whose occasional successes have been a source of annoyance,??? Grace Academy athletic director Les Compton said. ???All private schools do not have the same mission statement, the same values, the same entrance requirements and certainly not the same financial backing or facilities."

And all private schools wouldn't be playing in the same classification, so he wouldn't have to worry about playing McCallie if that's what he's implying. I can't believe he's this misinformed so I think he's just throwing this out as an excuse not to play Division II. Going against similar schools all the time, such as Temple and CCS in basketball, would be quite a bit tougher than playing Copper Basin and Lookout Valley. This is the AD of a school that had two 6'10" players on the boys' basketball team last season, in addition to a dynamic guard who's tearing it up this summer in AAU. Two of those three return. And that's at a school with about 180 in 9-12. They also have a quarterback getting Division I-A attention and entering 9th grade will be probably the best middle school football player I saw last fall. How many public schools with less than 200 people have four probable Division I signees over two years? I'm pretty sure I've read similar quotes from this AD before.

Coach Turner's statement in that same article is, shall we say, interesting. He seems to imply that private schools have some mystical advantage over his Tyner Rams. He didn't think there was much of an advantage in the opening game in the fall of 1997. He has only lost once to the only private school in his region since the inception of the multiplier (if I'm not mistaken). That private school brings a rather large gate to "the hilltop" every other year and occasionally in the playoffs. I would think he would want to keep that private school in his region! It seems the magnet Rams may have some advantages over every other team, at least east of Nashville and not in Blount County!

As for T. Layne's concerns about private schools, I wonder if his "concerns" should be focused in a different direction? His baseball, softball, and basketball teams have done well -- at least been competitive (girls' basketball more than competitive!). Are there some frustrations over the inability to maintain a quality football program? They have great facilities and seem to have tremendous potential. Their middle school programs are typically very good with good numbers. Are Sequatchie's problems (whatever they may be) the fault of private schools? Will ridding his region of the two or three private schools that might potentially be competitive with his school solve their problems?

I really don't have a "dog in the hunt" any more. Whatever the BC decides to do is fine with me. Maybe a split is best for everyone concerned. (I personally think it would be a sad day.) It does seem that confronting the issues at home would be a better place to start for some of us.