"Transfers"

auntkim

I know I am opening up a can of worms here, but would really like to address this transfer business.....and it can be done without naming names please. We all know who these kids are who are moving around so we don't need them mentioned or blame anyone or any teams. It is just really difficult for me to accept this happening so much and how it affects other teams abilities to compete at the same level as these "all star teams". A family should have the right to do whatever they can for their child, but sometimes it seems unfair to all the teams who have to play who actually lives there in the school district. We actually had our own issues with a player moving to our school because we have a really good program.....and when she did not get to play all the time and had to earn her starting spot, the parents moved her again to another program where she could start......was this right? Or will it hurt her in the end because she should have learned to persevere and make it work. I don't know what the right answer is, but we all know a certain teams chances are a lot better to make it to state when the really good players move in. I also remember back when my neice was playing in the youth leagues here and all of the good players except one ended up on the same team and when this one girl faced the team with all the good players on it, she was so motivated she played the best game of her life and made those around her better too. So I guess the moral of the story is if they are that good, not only will they make those around them better but improve all around themselves and they will be noticed by college programs whether they win a state championship or not.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think when a player goes from a non-winning team to a winning team it does help their chances of going to college. I don't like it much but there's no rules against it. You say that when the good girl is on the team full of average girls that she makes them better. However, when the good girl goes to a better team full of better players that makes her better as well. I will say a state championship will get them better recognition and will add to that list full of achievments in high school.

As to your deal about the girl coming to your town and then not getting a starting spot and then leaving, I don't think is right. It just sounds to me that that girl wasn't good enough to start for that "better team" and didn't like having to ride the bench. If your going to play you need to work for and earn something rather than it be given to you because I guarantee you a college scholarship isn't just going to be given to anyone, you have to earn it.

I tend to come from an old school of thought where you represent the school and community that you grew up in and you do everything in your power to win in that setting. I just do not feel that winning a State Championship at a school that you have never attended and with girls you did not grow up with is very satisfying. Riding another team's "coattails" to a championship just so you can say you won a State Championship is less impressive and not nearly as deserving had it been done with the school and girls that you grew up playing with. I think it diminishes the value of the accomplishment.

What is disappointing is that the only transfers anyone talks about on these boards are those that happen in the Class A schools. Whether or not more transfers happen at this level, I do not know for sure, but it sure does seem like it. However, what bothers me is that Class A basketball has, up until the past few years at least, represented the very purest form of basketball in the state of Tennessee. It is suppose to be about local small town girls taking the floor against other small town girls with the hopes of reaching Murfreesboro, thus fulfilling their dreams and breathing life into their town or community that often times has nothing better to do than to support thier local high school teams on their game nights. If you fail to reach the State Tournament, then at least you can look back and know that you did not take the easy way out and that you represented your school and community in the very best way that you knew how.

Being that I personally know a handful of college coaches, I can guarantee you that very few colleges care about whether or not your high school team wins a State Championship, unless you are playing at the highest classification within your state (AAA) because the competition level is stronger overall there. It is what you do in the summer in AAU and Exposure Tournaments as well as Individual and Exposure Camps that will matter most to them. They want to see how you stack up against other elite players in a highly competitive setting and I am sorry, but the Class A field is not exactly looked upon as highly competitive by college coaches.

My view is this: if all of these players who have transfered were really worried about college scholarships, they would not be transfering to other Class A schools. Instead, they would be transfering to Class AAA schools where the overall competition level is a little stronger and the colleges would care more about whether or not they won a State Championship. These transfers have little to nothing to do with college scholarships, because the latest string of players who have been transfering schools are players who are already being recruited based on their summer performances. Instead, many of these girls are just looking to win a gold ball and they will jump on whatever bandwagon (a team already considered one of the favorites for the gold ball) is necessary in order to get one. For most it is all about winning, plain and simple, and unfortunately, society has fueled that train of thought.

I tend to come from an old school of thought where you represent the school and community that you grew up in and you do everything in your power to win in that setting. I just do not feel that winning a State Championship at a school that you have never attended and with girls you did not grow up with is very satisfying. Riding another team's "coattails" to a championship just so you can say you won a State Championship is less impressive and not nearly as deserving had it been done with the school and girls that you grew up playing with. I think it diminishes the value of the accomplishment.

What is disappointing is that the only transfers anyone talks about on these boards are those that happen in the Class A schools. Whether or not more transfers happen at this level, I do not know for sure, but it sure does seem like it. However, what bothers me is that Class A basketball has, up until the past few years at least, represented the very purest form of basketball in the state of Tennessee. It is suppose to be about local small town girls taking the floor against other small town girls with the hopes of reaching Murfreesboro, thus fulfilling their dreams and breathing life into their town or community that often times has nothing better to do than to support thier local high school teams on their game nights. If you fail to reach the State Tournament, then at least you can look back and know that you did not take the easy way out and that you represented your school and community in the very best way that you knew how.

Being that I personally know a handful of college coaches, I can guarantee you that very few colleges care about whether or not your high school team wins a State Championship, unless you are playing at the highest classification within your state (AAA) because the competition level is stronger overall there. It is what you do in the summer in AAU and Exposure Tournaments as well as Individual and Exposure Camps that will matter most to them. They want to see how you stack up against other elite players in a highly competitive setting and I am sorry, but the Class A field is not exactly looked upon as highly competitive by college coaches.

My view is this: if all of these players who have transfered were really worried about college scholarships, they would not be transfering to other Class A schools. Instead, they would be transfering to Class AAA schools where the overall competition level is a little stronger and the colleges would care more about whether or not they won a State Championship. These transfers have little to nothing to do with college scholarships, because the latest string of players who have been transfering schools are players who are already being recruited based on their summer performances. Instead, many of these girls are just looking to win a gold ball and they will jump on whatever bandwagon (a team already considered one of the favorites for the gold ball) is necessary in order to get one. For most it is all about winning, plain and simple, and unfortunately, society has fueled that train of thought.

Very well spoken 12.

Being from the Upper Cumberland, I am already reading into this that this is mostly directed to our area. There has been more talk about District 7-A the last couple of years than any other district/region/area on the girls boards regarding transfers. I have heard about "all-star" teams but no one has talked about the numerous gold balls that have come to the UC with hometown girls? Why is that? Yes transfers have come and as senator has said transfers have gone. The UC is very passionate about their basketball and transferring has not always been the way. Basically the last 4-5 years it has happened with more frequency than ever to 7-A (to my knowledge). How many gold balls has made it to these schools with out them?? 2004 Clarkrange did with out transfers (I think). Jackson County (AA) did it from 2000-2003(I know) and LA (AA) in 2004 with out transfers. So, most of the bantering about the transfers from here were started by the passionate UC fans of their particular school and then many outsiders with screen names start stirring the pot even more. All of these schools here have as much or pride in ther programs as any in the state and for the most part are trying to make sense of what is going on with their particular school. And how many violations have been broken?

Where the problem(s) lie, I am not so sure. I have never walked the first mile in any of these families shoes. Things can range from riding "coattails", parents themselves thinking how good "suzie" or "bobby" is, mean kids, coaching situations, wanting to be a winner, politics, support or lack of, the list can go on and on, etc. But, I do believe this. I have two teenage girls and they think about their self about as much as I did myself as a teen, but I had someone to put me in my place as do they. Not saying that any of these kids don't today. But, we do live in a "me" world. All you have to do is travel the ball ranks, middle and high school, AAU and you will find out what everyone thinks of their own. Not to mention that very few ADULTS are loyal to much either. I am talking coaches (high school, college, pro alike), who by the way are adults, even in the business world, factories, freight, medical and just about every other profession or vocation out there are changing their place of work more often than these kids are transferring. So if we can't keep up with where our friends or neighbors are working, what's the deal on where these kids are playing ball? The saying I have always heard is "Can't blame a person for trying to better themself." But, how many times does it take to better oneself? It starts with us, the adults. If we want to talk about loyalty, how many can say, I have been loyal to my job x years, or community, better yet, my church x years?? How many change churches because of so and so??

While I do not know the situations, I do know that transferring is not just a problem in girls basketball. It is in boys basketball, football, etc. Look at Memphis and Blount County. Powers at basketball because of open zoning in Memphis. In Blount County, open zoning has contributed to how many football state championships since 1998, 13 total in 2 classes (AA and 4A). It is legal there just as tranferring is legal any where else in the state if you follow the proper guidelines of the T$$AA. Look at all of the Metro schools. It is everywhere. Are they out of control or are they just getting to us?? All I know, is you can't raise someone else's kids they way you or I think it should be done. I can't condone nor condemn with out all the information which in any kids case will probably never fully be made known.

12 made some great points. The first paragraph of the post was great. Playing for your high school with the kids you grew up with is truly a lifetime experience. I have to think young people that miss this experience are being influenced by adults with their own agendas. Not to sound corny, but some have forgot, "there is no I in team."

Division I college programs are influenced more by AAU programs and elite camp results. Players spend more time in these programs than they do in their high school programs. Good high school coaches can help the players get to the right camps and AAU programs to maximize their exposure.

"Just Win Baby" has become an obsession for our society. The media bombards us with the selfish examples of pro athletes and coaches looking out for numero uno almost on a daily basis. More recently, this attitude has trickled into the college ranks. This has to influence today's high school atheletes.

Everyone's situation is unique and none of us should judge others. We can only hope decisions on transferring are made with the student's best interest in mind.

As I stated when I started this thread, the comments were not directed toward any District in particular....there are many as ptguard12 stated, not only in A but AA and AAA as well. One thing I do know for sure, is Distrct 7A has been and will continue to be, a powerhouse in girls' basketball with or without transfers.

Being from the Upper Cumberland, I am already reading into this that this is mostly directed to our area. There has been more talk about District 7-A the last couple of years than any other district/region/area on the girls boards regarding transfers. I have heard about "all-star" teams but no one has talked about the numerous gold balls that have come to the UC with hometown girls? Why is that? Yes transfers have come and as senator has said transfers have gone. The UC is very passionate about their basketball and transferring has not always been the way. Basically the last 4-5 years it has happened with more frequency than ever to 7-A (to my knowledge). How many gold balls has made it to these schools with out them?? 2004 Clarkrange did with out transfers (I think). Jackson County (AA) did it from 2000-2003(I know) and LA (AA) in 2004 with out transfers. So, most of the bantering about the transfers from here were started by the passionate UC fans of their particular school and then many outsiders with screen names start stirring the pot even more. All of these schools here have as much or pride in ther programs as any in the state and for the most part are trying to make sense of what is going on with their particular school. And how many violations have been broken?

Where the problem(s) lie, I am not so sure. I have never walked the first mile in any of these families shoes. Things can range from riding "coattails", parents themselves thinking how good "suzie" or "bobby" is, mean kids, coaching situations, wanting to be a winner, politics, support or lack of, the list can go on and on, etc. But, I do believe this. I have two teenage girls and they think about their self about as much as I did myself as a teen, but I had someone to put me in my place as do they. Not saying that any of these kids don't today. But, we do live in a "me" world. All you have to do is travel the ball ranks, middle and high school, AAU and you will find out what everyone thinks of their own. Not to mention that very few ADULTS are loyal to much either. I am talking coaches (high school, college, pro alike), who by the way are adults, even in the business world, factories, freight, medical and just about every other profession or vocation out there are changing their place of work more often than these kids are transferring. So if we can't keep up with where our friends or neighbors are working, what's the deal on where these kids are playing ball? The saying I have always heard is "Can't blame a person for trying to better themself." But, how many times does it take to better oneself? It starts with us, the adults. If we want to talk about loyalty, how many can say, I have been loyal to my job x years, or community, better yet, my church x years?? How many change churches because of so and so??

While I do not know the situations, I do know that transferring is not just a problem in girls basketball. It is in boys basketball, football, etc. Look at Memphis and Blount County. Powers at basketball because of open zoning in Memphis. In Blount County, open zoning has contributed to how many football state championships since 1998, 13 total in 2 classes (AA and 4A). It is legal there just as tranferring is legal any where else in the state if you follow the proper guidelines of the T$$AA. Look at all of the Metro schools. It is everywhere. Are they out of control or are they just getting to us?? All I know, is you can't raise someone else's kids they way you or I think it should be done. I can't condone nor condemn with out all the information which in any kids case will probably never fully be made known.

This is a fine post and by the way I don't take it as a 7A directed subject. This poster takes it as a AAA directed post which flagerantly happens when some high profile players transfer and it is obvious it might hurt the program they transferred from who might possibly be a high profile school also. The transfer rule if done legitimately is alright and for the right reasons. If it would enhance a student/athlete to go from a not so good situation to a much better one, it seems it might be the best thing to do. Open zoning is not the answer. For those in 7A, you transfer a lot. But it is impossible to find anything wrong with it. Yes, spirits and the competitive nature of the area make it seems the worldis coming to an end but it's not. It may just point out that some kids arejust going to schools that have a course of study they like and maybe other things also. The transfer rule is being used and sometimes abused all over the stated. Yes, this poster is not for it in certain situations but in a lot of situations, mistakes by adults have a great deal to do with it happening.u

As I stated when I started this thread, the comments were not directed toward any District in particular....there are many as ptguard12 stated, not only in A but AA and AAA as well. One thing I do know for sure, is Distrct 7A has been and will continue to be, a powerhouse in girls' basketball with or without transfers.

If you want your child to be a Doctor, you could go to Meharry Medical College in Nashville. What if the opportunity presented itself that allowed you to switch to Vanderbilt. Still gonna just be a doctor. I dont know how many times coaches from the private schools I know have been accused of recruting. I think that there is a bigger move on for parents wanting their children to be a champion at a school known for champions. Along the same lines why do parents want their children in the Magnet schools. The perception that this is the better opportunity, to prepare a child for college, weather it be academics or athletics can be the main goal. I can assure you that some of the people mentioned on the 7a thread, don't need to move. There is no financial gain for them, just the perception that their daughter will be better off somewhere other than where they are now. As for community pride...well family is a commitment that comes from both sides. Its easy to guilt people into doing things for you because their your family, (community). But it is a double edge sword, is their a commitment from the school program to make it the best?. The easy decision for players looking to get scholarship offers is to follow a path where players before them have gone on to get scholarships in their sport of choice. Nothing wrong with that. A ball player looking to get a shot at the NFL has a better chance going to Tennessee over other colleges because of Tennessee's track record of turning out NFL players.

I think that all of the transferring in girls basketball has gotten out of hand, I dont blame the kids or the coaches. I blame the parents, a lot of these parents are living their dreams through these girls and its not fair. The district that I coached in this year there was a girl who transferred twice in the same district and she wasnt even that good, based off of what I heard she was not gettign her way so her parents kept moving her. what happened to the time where kids had to show up to practice everyday play hard produce in games and earn their minutes. I understand everybody wants to win a state championship and get noticed by colleges. Well everybody cant win a state championship, sorry thats the way it is. I want to wina championship as a coach just as bad as everybody else but that doesnt mean im going to keep switching schools chasing that elusive ring. like somebody said in an earlier post AAU has gotten so big that if you are good and you play AAU you will get noticed by college coaches. I worked an AAU tournament last year and there was at least 10 D-1 coaches there. I dont think I saw ten college coaches at the state tournement. stay put enjoy you four years with your true friends

I understand the point of view that has been stated so far in this thread, but not every situation is the same. You can't group all transfers into one category and say it shouldn't happen. The players that just keep on transferring from school to school to school may have some problems, but not every kid or family is doing that. Lets face it folks some situations are just not good, and when it is not a good situation do you just tough it out or do you get out if you can? Everyone is going to have their opinion about the right or wrong answer to this question, but ultimately that is a question most people will face at some time in their life. I will say this most everyone if they will admit it will get out of a bad situation if they can. I guess my opinion is that until you walk in these families shoes you shouldn't judge them or group them into one category.

If you want your child to be a Doctor, you could go to Meharry Medical College in Nashville. What if the opportunity presented itself that allowed you to switch to Vanderbilt. Still gonna just be a doctor. I dont know how many times coaches from the private schools I know have been accused of recruting. I think that there is a bigger move on for parents wanting their children to be a champion at a school known for champions. Along the same lines why do parents want their children in the Magnet schools. The perception that this is the better opportunity, to prepare a child for college, weather it be academics or athletics can be the main goal. I can assure you that some of the people mentioned on the 7a thread, don't need to move. There is no financial gain for them, just the perception that their daughter will be better off somewhere other than where they are now. As for community pride...well family is a commitment that comes from both sides. Its easy to guilt people into doing things for you because their your family, (community). But it is a double edge sword, is their a commitment from the school program to make it the best?. The easy decision for players looking to get scholarship offers is to follow a path where players before them have gone on to get scholarships in their sport of choice. Nothing wrong with that. A ball player looking to get a shot at the NFL has a better chance going to Tennessee over other colleges because of Tennessee's track record of turning out NFL players.

Good post. Not sure what private schools have to do with this but if the reason is opportunity to move either schools might be at fault equally but privat/public has no debate here. For the case of moving for students is just athletics and no other reason, it would be a bogus argument. However athletics might be a plus. As far as magnet schools, especially in larger Cities, they have lost their edge and the reasons for going recently have disappeared and parents feel better for kids away from the big city environment.

"A" level schools do have to make choices that AA and AAA do not have to make and deal with proximity and zoning sometimes and moving to another school, however further away, is a hard question also. The answer to some of your comments is the second to last sentence but a sports scholarship might not be the reason even though the transferee might indeed be good athletically. It is the bigger picture of maybe all of the other schlorships that may be involved and ACT qualifications, Hope, etc. How many NFL, NBA, Tennessee, Alabama schlorships will be given to students and how many schlorships to smaller schools just to help pay their way thru school to be an accountant, nurse, physiotherapist, vet, business or any other field. Thats where the mass of students are and using athletics sometimes to help meet their goals. So to try to make my point and stop rambling, athletics are used many ways to further ones goals but that does not particularly mean a private or public school but it may. A students choice for a profession depends more on the student in the right environment for them and your point, which is a very good one, is that the family needs to decide what is important and they have and will do that. Your post fits, very well, a Bigger City environment but many have decided there are downsides there also and some who are there find themselves trying to get out to a smaller school environment.i