ensworth

overseascoach

look you make yourself look bad by the 3rd grade name calling - this is a message board it is defined as

A discussion board (known also by various other names such as discussion group , discussion forum , message board , and online forum ) is a general term for any online "bulletin board" where you can leave and expect to see responses to messages you have left

Message boards offer a discussion so that users can share and discuss information and opinions.

the guy was just stating an opinion and no doubt one to get under the skin of some people and it worked it got under yours.Since you are the resident name caller I crown you czar of this post.Gosh this is high school football you all lets get real, state your opinions no matter how great it is or how far off in left field- remember we share one thing here a love for the high school football game- Now im not gonna argue about recruiting and all that i am just asking for some answers that is all... The kid does have a 120 mile round trip journey every day was curious if any booster i mean Ensworth parent could explain how he gts to school and home every day ( hey we all may be surprised that his daddy gets up early drives him to school goes to work near the campus and then picks him up at 600 630 pm)

how many on Ensworth football team recieve finincial aid compared to the rest of the student body (again no arguments as many above posts state the fin. aid details)

At no point did I call anybody anything, although I am flattered to be called a czar. I ridiculed his opinion, as I do yours. As Nashville becomes larger, people who want to avoid city congestion will tolerate longer commutes. There are people who work in Nashville and live in Cottontown and Whitehouse, both long commutes.

You cite no evidence because you have none. You ask questions as veiled accusations. It's a poor form of argument. I don't know how the lad gets from Mt. Pleasant, but then I have no real idea how anybody in particular gets around. As to the financial aid end of things, I suspect that information cannot be divulged due to the Federal Educational Right to Privacy Act, the same body of law that prohibits a college caoch from saying why a kid was suspended from a team.

As to getting under my skin, perhaps you're right. I'm a product of MBA, have a keen respect for BA, and played football with Ricky Bowers. I get sick of seeing them all maligned for their success by people who cast about aspersions without evidence (heavens, I am obsessed with this "proof and fairness" thing). Further, I've never suffered fools gladly; it's a flaw of mine. Your tone suggests that I owe you an apology for my impatience.

Now, if you'll excuse me, the Streltzy and I need to round up the Cossacks to oppress some peasants. до свидания

yeah long commutes paid by the booster club - i never cited evidence maybe that MBA sheep skin was mass produced. Sucess, what grabbing kids to play for thier program and winning a joke of a playoff system they have in place,,,glad you played for rcky Bowers sure he is a great coach , but while you were playing with him i was being coached by coach Faust and coach Holtz

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yeah long commutes paid by the booster club - i never cited evidence maybe that MBA sheep skin was mass produced. Sucess, what grabbing kids to play for thier program and winning a joke of a playoff system they have in place,,,glad you played for rcky Bowers sure he is a great coach , but while you were playing with him i was being coached by coach Faust and coach Holtz

I really ought to let this go, but the north Nashville in me loves a good skunk fight. As impressive as your football resume is, it still adds no weight to your baseless assertions that something is afoul with this young man's transport from Mt. Pleasant, or his attending Ensworth. If you have evidence, not accusatory questions, I'd love to see it. I've never said there's no chance anybody has ever done anything wrong: I've simply said that nobody has ever produced any evidence. And in my mind, there's something wrong in sullying reputations, be they personal or institutional, without some proof.

I really ought to let this go, but the north Nashville in me loves a good skunk fight. As impressive as your football resume is, it still adds no weight to your baseless assertions that something is afoul with this young man's transport from Mt. Pleasant, or his attending Ensworth. If you have evidence, not accusatory questions, I'd love to see it. I've never said there's no chance anybody has ever done anything wrong: I've simply said that nobody has ever produced any evidence. And in my mind, there's something wrong in sullying reputations, be they personal or institutional, without some proof.

with respect i do say that again i have never said i had evidence and my assertions are just that - no accusatory but a simple question on him attending Ensworth and how lucky he his to have a parent(s) to make the 120 mile roundtrip trek.You know as well as I do thier never will be any evidence, if you think about it look at NCAA football or basasketball we all know thier are major infractions going on but not everyone gets caught- There is and wont be evidence becasue they are not recruiting the kids but are offering a chance for them to attend there school. you and I both know this kid from mt pleasant didnt wake up one day and say im filling for financial assistance and wanna go to Ensworth- i have no prob with him going from a Maury Co school district to a fine instituition like that of an Ensworth or your beloved MBA ( and for the record if i was not catholic and if i had son my first choice would be MBA )my beef on here is that the supportes of these schools need to realize boosters are helping out more then they think- as mentioned before ( and belived was called a cheat on here ) when i was o- cord back at a school in chicago (private) i would make sure i was seen at a football camp at middle schools or any other camp and if i did you know thier was back in the days ( before email lol) for me to send a kid some sort of brouchure in a nice glossy coat about our school - was i cheating hmm call it what you want .... to sum up we can argue to argue all day and i guess that is part of msg boards--- regardless will be at MBA - Indy scrimmage i hope

with respect i do say that again i have never said i had evidence and my assertions are just that - no accusatory but a simple question on him attending Ensworth and how lucky he his to have a parent(s) to make the 120 mile roundtrip trek.You know as well as I do thier never will be any evidence, if you think about it look at NCAA football or basasketball we all know thier are major infractions going on but not everyone gets caught- There is and wont be evidence becasue they are not recruiting the kids but are offering a chance for them to attend there school. you and I both know this kid from mt pleasant didnt wake up one day and say im filling for financial assistance and wanna go to Ensworth- i have no prob with him going from a Maury Co school district to a fine instituition like that of an Ensworth or your beloved MBA ( and for the record if i was not catholic and if i had son my first choice would be MBA )my beef on here is that the supportes of these schools need to realize boosters are helping out more then they think- as mentioned before ( and belived was called a cheat on here ) when i was o- cord back at a school in chicago (private) i would make sure i was seen at a football camp at middle schools or any other camp and if i did you know thier was back in the days ( before email lol) for me to send a kid some sort of brouchure in a nice glossy coat about our school - was i cheating hmm call it what you want .... to sum up we can argue to argue all day and i guess that is part of msg boards--- regardless will be at MBA - Indy scrimmage i hope

Ok, this is much more reasonable. I don't know who this kid is, and I have no idea what prompted him to go to Ensworth. i do know that I decided while looking at the sports the morning after Thanksgiving that I wanted to go to MBA. I saw pictures from the Clinic Bowl, knew MBA was the best program in the state, and my parenst said you didn't have to live anywhere special to go there. I was 7 (this was 1968). Maybe his family knows of Ricky Bowers, who is probably the best known coach in the area, and probably the most likely to drum up a scholarship for a kid on the bubble. I have some family in Mt. Pleasant whose sons are athletes there; they don't speak highly of the coach or the program. Who knows? But parents do some odd things. I play ice hockey, and there's a kid in the travel program where I play whose parents drive him 4 hrs. each way from Tampa 3 weekdays each week, and at least once each weekend to practice and play here. Go figure.

As to your actions in Chicago, I've no idea if you were cheating; what were the rules? I suspect (but don't know) that it would be illegal in Tennessee. I can't see why it should be. A private school is a business of sorts: if it doesn't attract students, it goes out of business. History is full of Nashville area schools that went out of business: CMA, Castle Heights, Duncan, etc. MBA was in dire straits in parts of the 40's and 50's. They should be able to discuss their programs with potential students, be they athletes or scholars. I suspect that the day will come when private schools will need to form their own association so that they can initiate contact with potential students.

Enjoy the MBA-Independence scrimmage, and let us know what happens.

And if you have a son, he can go to MBA...lots of catholics there (myself included).

I remember last year there was a very noteworthy story regarding EHS and this very topic. Far be it for me to defend Ensworth, but a highly visible, highly successful important member of EHS' football team was forced to leave school last year because his family fell upon some hard times and even after the financial aid award, couldn't afford their piece of the tuition. So, the kid transfered to another school and became an impact player for his new, public school (all the details are available I'm sure in the coach t archives, and were posted by several folks; I am certainly not going to divulge anything beyond this).

Anyways, according to the various accounts...this kid was both an accomplished successful student and multi-sport athlete who had done nothing but reflect well upon Ensworth. Futhermore, he absolutely was going to help them win football games...so if there really are "boosters" out there, why did they so terribly drop the ball with this one? He was already in school, and already thriving there? Also they could have really saved this kid some humiliation over having to explain why, despite being successful all-around, he was forced to leave school. Maybe these gazllionaire boosters are just dumb, I guess.

I know the story you are referencing and I also know the whole family you are talking about as well. I have to say though that you are wrong on a few counts. I can not attest for the boosters because as a student then no body even knew or talked about them but I can attest for the coaches and a few teachers that fought very hard for the kid in question. You were however right on many counts, he is smart, extremely athletic and a great representation of Ensworth. I felt compelled to post though cause your facts are not in order, and I dont want to come off like the guy who says he has proof and that every one is wrong but wont divulge the proof. Rather I think (as you seem to have thought) that the details are inconsequential and for all intents and purposes of the discussion should remain nameless.

The kid does have a 120 mile round trip journey every day was curious if any booster i mean Ensworth parent could explain how he gts to school and home every day ( hey we all may be surprised that his daddy gets up early drives him to school goes to work near the campus and then picks him up at 600 630 pm)

how many on Ensworth football team recieve finincial aid compared to the rest of the student body (again no arguments as many above posts state the fin. aid details)

I played for coach Bowers and Coach Caudill for four years and there were many times when Coach Bowers would tell the entire team that there is no excuse not to be at practice, he would go on to say that he would come pick any of us up. He has done this a lot. It is annoying to hear people who dont know him insinuate that he would only give certain players special benefits. I have grown up in green hills and was not on financial aid and he picked me up, called my house when i was late and has paid the same attention to others as he did to me. It may be hard to believe but the nature of being on financial aid may require more help (ie rides).

I have no where near the understanding of the rules regarding recruitment as the likes of KWoodroof or big red fan or others but I think I may be able to provide some fresh insight. Having gotten the disclaimer out of the way I will dive head first into the shallow pool of knowledge that is my understanding of recruitment, surely to have my head cracked on the pool floor. I know that there are many stipulations regarding the schools ability to incite interest amongst kids. Essentially schools are not allowed to instigate any sort of transfer of school info or conversations, BUT are allowed to follow up with kids who express interest. That probably has so many holes in it but I imagine the actual rules do also. MBA and Ensworth have all sorts of programs that cater to the young kids that are out of the Ensworth and MBA bubble. MBA and EHS have things like Futures league, Time to rise, Backfield in motion and other camps that they host. Could it be that there are kids who may be athletic and underprivileged that upon arriving at these events start to gain interest in schools. The school is doing a good thing for the community by hosting camps like these and many other Big red or Big E camps. But it is possible that there is another benefit, raising interest for the school, expanding the demographic, geographic and economic boundaries which may in turn produce some athletes. But even with those few that finally qualify and come it would be dumb to assume that the whole purpose of the camp was to get these kids. By assuming that you are discrediting the school that puts time and energy in the other 300 kids that are having a good time at these camps. What do you have a problem with? Are you suggesting that Coach Mcgougan (sp) or Coach Bowers are showing up on the steps of athletes houses and handing out flyers? Be more specific instead of just saying that they are recruiting. A lot of of people assume way to much and in turn end up ( sometimes inadvertently) raising questions about the character of the Coach or school.

One person really wanted to know what the ratio of football players on scholarship was compared to non football players on scholarship. I do not know but very roughly I would guess that it would be something around.

25/96

I know the story you are referencing and I also know the whole family you are talking about as well. I have to say though that you are wrong on a few counts. I can not attest for the boosters because as a student then no body even knew or talked about them but I can attest for the coaches and a few teachers that fought very hard for the kid in question. You were however right on many counts, he is smart, extremely athletic and a great representation of Ensworth. I felt compelled to post though cause your facts are not in order, and I dont want to come off like the guy who says he has proof and that every one is wrong but wont divulge the proof. Rather I think (as you seem to have thought) that the details are inconsequential and for all intents and purposes of the discussion should remain nameless.

I was being a little "tongue and cheek" regarding these alleged "boosters" who see to it to finance people's private school education when football games are at stake. I don't know any more facts about the case than were posted on here last year. It just struck me at the time (and again today) that the case refutes pretty much all the silly allegations that get tossed around here, especially these ridiculous notions of "slush funds" and "boosters" etc. Again, if those things really exist, then why on earth would they let a kid leave school over tuition-related issues? There will never, ever be an easier opportunity to break the rules than that, and they didn't do it. Case closed as far as I'm concerned.

Ok then. The story as I know it. This kid that many people in Mt. Pleasant are fond of because they were the ones that helped this kid out for many years, through little league baseball, then Dixie Youth etc.. Went to the kids house picked him up bought him lunch so on and so forth because one of his parents was working the other was no where around. NEVER AROUND!! This kid goes to the ninth grade and a coach finds a good way to use the kid and he gets starting time. He played in middle school but didn't start and like I said one parent was never around. Then the other parent that was never around decides to come around every Friday night. That parent still doesn't have moeny to buy the kid food at McDonalds with but can grab a 12 pack before he leaves town so other players parents that are giving the kid a ride home buy him something to eat. Then this same parent just happens to make the trip with the player to a camp this summer and a lot of coachs show interest in this kid. Of course who wouldn't big strong quick make for a sure college prospect. The parent is approached maybe a job is mentioned maybe tuition is mentioned. And maybe this parent is riding the kids coat tails as long as possible. It really is sad if you think about it. I hope it turns out for the kids sake and if it doesn't I hope the parent stays around anyway. Like I said the kid is a good kid and deserves anything good that comes his way.

Ok then. The story as I know it. This kid that many people in Mt. Pleasant are fond of because they were the ones that helped this kid out for many years, through little league baseball, then Dixie Youth etc.. Went to the kids house picked him up bought him lunch so on and so forth because one of his parents was working the other was no where around. NEVER AROUND!! This kid goes to the ninth grade and a coach finds a good way to use the kid and he gets starting time. He played in middle school but didn't start and like I said one parent was never around. Then the other parent that was never around decides to come around every Friday night. That parent still doesn't have moeny to buy the kid food at McDonalds with but can grab a 12 pack before he leaves town so other players parents that are giving the kid a ride home buy him something to eat. Then this same parent just happens to make the trip with the player to a camp this summer and a lot of coachs show interest in this kid. Of course who wouldn't big strong quick make for a sure college prospect. The parent is approached maybe a job is mentioned maybe tuition is mentioned. And maybe this parent is riding the kids coat tails as long as possible. It really is sad if you think about it. I hope it turns out for the kids sake and if it doesn't I hope the parent stays around anyway. Like I said the kid is a good kid and deserves anything good that comes his way.

That comes close to being one of the saddest true stories I've ever read. As someone who has been around this kid and his brother I also have provided rides and supper on many occasions. I didn't mind (mother works very hard) and don't still. I hope for the best for him and just dislike the coat-tails issue

It appears that since someone gave some factual information that this thread has become very quiet. Yeah I'd say that the ones saying "prove it" have the proof because they have shut up. Good luck to the kid.