Oak Ridge vs Alcoa Scrimmage

Ole Dad

Hmmm,

According to the story in the Knox News, Stantons biggest problems at OR are race related!

No doubt that a black coach (or any black person for that matter) is going to be subject to racism.

While thats sad,some peoples ignorance will never change. But, he failed to mention that his hands were tied, when he was hired regarding bringing in any new coaches, because he had to inherit the current coaching staff of that time, and that the fact that he would not hire a certain coach has caused the tension between the coaches on his own staff to be sky high! These problems along with others have been his biggest

obstacles at Oak Ridge, not race!

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmmm,

According to the story in the Knox News, Stantons biggest problems at OR are race related!

No doubt that a black coach (or any black person for that matter) is going to be subject to racism.

While thats sad,some peoples ignorance will never change. But, he failed to mention that his hands were tied, when he was hired regarding bringing in any new coaches, because he had to inherit the current coaching staff of that time, and that the fact that he would not hire a certain coach has caused the tension between the coaches on his own staff to be sky high! These problems along with others have been his biggest

obstacles at Oak Ridge, not race!

The only RACE problem he has is the RACE for the Gold Ball and making it to the playoffs. I didn't notice any problem with the 'staff' when they beat R'dale with the team he inherited!

Who did he want to hire? A cut man for his corner for his fights? /dry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="

I would not care what color he was if he would just WIN! Until then he will have problems and the administration will keep trotting out excuses for him.

LOD,

You are The Man. That is exactly correct.

Ole Dad

The only RACE problem he has is the RACE for the Gold Ball and making it to the playoffs. I didn't notice any problem with the 'staff' when they beat R'dale with the team he inherited!

Who did he want to hire? A cut man for his corner for his fights? /dry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="

I would not care what color he was if he would just WIN! Until then he will have problems and the administration will keep trotting out excuses for him.

As Al Davis would say, "Just Win Baby." Why does it always have to be about race? Maybe the guy just isn't a good head coach. Is that the end of the world?

As Al Davis would say, "Just Win Baby." Why does it always have to be about race? Maybe the guy just isn't a good head coach. Is that the end of the world?

Because it is a crutch that some think they MUST have to make up for THEIR lack of talent and not taking responsibility for THEIR actions. As long as some folks keep wanting to not take responsibilty they lay the blame on things that happened over 100 years ago.

For myself I have NEVER owned a slave or shot Indians, but I will NOT feel guilty because my forefathers did. That is what Tennesseans did and it was normal for their times. The cold hard facts of life are it is 2008 and losing does NOT cut it either at Oak Ridge or at R'dale for that matter. Time some folks face those FACTS and pull themselves up and face it.

Until they do they will continue to scream both prejudice and racism when it is the simple fact it is THEM that can't cut it.

Does my feeling this way make me a racist? Not in my mind as I deal with REALITY and NOT feelings.

Because it is a crutch that some think they MUST have to make up for THEIR lack of talent and not taking responsibility for THEIR actions. As long as some folks keep wanting to not take responsibilty they lay the blame on things that happened over 100 years ago.

For myself I have NEVER owned a slave or shot Indians, but I will NOT feel guilty because my forefathers did. That is what Tennesseans did and it was normal for their times. The cold hard facts of life are it is 2008 and losing does NOT cut it either at Oak Ridge or at R'dale for that matter. Time some folks face those FACTS and pull themselves up and face it.

Until they do they will continue to scream both prejudice and racism when it is the simple fact it is THEM that can't cut it.

Does my feeling this way make me a racist? Not in my mind as I deal with REALITY and NOT feelings.

#1 - Coach Stevens has received bigoted, racist phone calls periodically since 2005. That's not exactly 100 years ago. Whoever would do that is a racist and a coward.

#2 - I never "owned a slave or shot Indians" either. I never chased civil rights leaders off of a lonely road and shot them and hid their bodies. I never lynched anyone. I never forced anyone to sit on the back of a bus or use a different water fountain or bathroom because of their skin color. I never sprayed innocent protesters with a fire hydrant hose or smashed men, women, and children in the head with a billy stick. For that matter, I never forced anyone to go to a concentration camp and starved them to death or gassed them by the thousands or took target practice for fun on them while they were walking around the compound. BUT I'M A MEMBER OF A SOCIETY OF PEOPLE THAT AT ONE TIME DID THOSE THINGS AND IT DOES MAKE ME FEEL GUILTY.

#3 - There's more to life than winning and losing. It's high school sports. We (adults) have ruined it with our expectations. The "REALITY" is , we're going to win some and lose some in life ... that doesn't determine who is truly successful. My question about Coach Stevens or any other coach regardless of race would be ... what kind of role model is he to the young people he works with? How does he represent the community and school? Does he love my kid? Does he handle winning and losing well? Does he base his decision on what is in the best interest of his kids and co-workers? Most high school coaches I've known don't do it for the fame and fortune ... they do it to make a difference in the lives of young people.

#1 - Coach Stevens has received bigoted, racist phone calls periodically since 2005. That's not exactly 100 years ago. Whoever would do that is a racist and a coward.

#2 - I never "owned a slave or shot Indians" either. I never chased civil rights leaders off of a lonely road and shot them and hid their bodies. I never lynched anyone. I never forced anyone to sit on the back of a bus or use a different water fountain or bathroom because of their skin color. I never sprayed innocent protesters with a fire hydrant hose or smashed men, women, and children in the head with a billy stick. For that matter, I never forced anyone to go to a concentration camp and starved them to death or gassed them by the thousands or took target practice for fun on them while they were walking around the compound. BUT I'M A MEMBER OF A SOCIETY OF PEOPLE THAT AT ONE TIME DID THOSE THINGS AND IT DOES MAKE ME FEEL GUILTY.

#3 - There's more to life than winning and losing. It's high school sports. We (adults) have ruined it with our expectations. The "REALITY" is , we're going to win some and lose some in life ... that doesn't determine who is truly successful. My question about Coach Stevens or any other coach regardless of race would be ... what kind of role model is he to the young people he works with? How does he represent the community and school? Does he love my kid? Does he handle winning and losing well? Does he base his decision on what is in the best interest of his kids and co-workers? Most high school coaches I've known don't do it for the fame and fortune ... they do it to make a difference in the lives of young people.

"People that are ashamed to be white make me ill Gov man, I think you need to stick to your own problems over at WB.

I would like to hear my man Tpoole's opinion though, he is at least logical. I don't care if Stevens wins the state for the next 5 years- he has no Integrity. So he is not a fit at OR. Plain & simple. "

So I guess if some people call me an Old, Fat, Craker, I can use that as an excuse when I fail at my career?

Ole Dad

Hey Guys Let's ease up a little. I think everyone knows how I feel about Oak Ridge football but this thread is getting out of hand. I agree with LOD and Govman both have valid points but this needs to end.

Ahhh Bounder the peace maker, I amaze myself sometimes Ha Ha

Hey Guys Let's ease up a little. I think everyone knows how I feel about Oak Ridge football but this thread is getting out of hand. I agree with LOD and Govman both have valid points but this needs to end.

Ahhh Bounder the peace maker, I amaze myself sometimes Ha Ha

I can't believe you don't agree with me Bounder, I have defended you on here you know.

Sorry Govman, ignorance by a few does not lob us all into the same basket. I do not feel any guilt for what people born 100 years ago did or said. I don't condone ill treatment of others based upon the color of skin. It is sad a great American tradition like HS football has to be tainted by a hack news story by a hack reporter. There is no excuse for the morons who call coach S. I am not like him nor is the vast majority of Americans these days. Most have moved on.