2008 Powell Panthers

osunut2

I haven't heard a lot of chatter about the Panthers this summer, but I'd love to hear from others out there, especially those that are "in the know" and close to the program. HTV and jlancaster, what is your impression of the team at this point, and what can fans expect out of Powell this season? I know that Kier Houston is going to have another sterling season, especially now that he is the centerpiece of that team. Does he have enough talent surrounding him in order to make another playoff run?

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think we'll know more about Powell after tomorrow night's jamboree quarter and next week's scrimmage against Fulton.

Catholic pretty much had their way with Powell in the first scrimmage two weeks ago, but the Panthers rebounded and played much better last week against Alcoa. Alcoa had the upper hand overall, but Powell's offense moved the football consistently for the most part and scored a couple of times, showing much improvement from the previous week. It's no secret that Powell will be fine at the QB and WR slots. There is a lot of talent and experience at those positions. They are still looking for that running back who can get you the tough 3 or 4 yards you need in certain situations and the offensive line is still looking for some consistency.

With a whole new secondary this year, the defense still has some work to do, but there is some potential in the secondary and the ends and LB corps have some guys who have played considerable varsity snaps. There may be some help at nose from a freshman nose tackle, a young man who has good size and can run, but he is a freshman and will make freshman mistakes, but will make some plays, too.

Throw in that with the zone change there have been some new players come out in the last week or so who are still being evaluated, and you have my reason for saying that it is still too early to tell.

That said, Powell is ahead of where they were at this time last year, which is a positive sign.

How is Michael Norman doing this year, we haven't seen him since wrestling season.

For whatever reason, Michael has gotten caught up in the revolving door. From LB to NG, now to OL. Much too good of a player to not be settled into a firm position. I believe right now his future is with the OL, but personally I like him at NG.

For whatever reason, Michael has gotten caught up in the revolving door. From LB to NG, now to OL. Much too good of a player to not be settled into a firm position. I believe right now his future is with the OL, but personally I like him at NG.

That's too bad, I agree with you 100%. Where on the OL line is he playing?

I haven't heard a lot of chatter about the Panthers this summer, but I'd love to hear from others out there, especially those that are "in the know" and close to the program. HTV and jlancaster, what is your impression of the team at this point, and what can fans expect out of Powell this season? I know that Kier Houston is going to have another sterling season, especially now that he is the centerpiece of that team. Does he have enough talent surrounding him in order to make another playoff run?

Well, I didn't know that I was in the know or close enough to the program to warrant this type of attention, but I agree with HTV, we will know a whole lot more of the Panthers after these next two scrimmages. As you know in football, your biggest step up is after your first scrimmages and Powell showed that the week after Catholic was a week of major changes and adjustments.

As far as Alcoa, they really did hold their own with the 1's and the 2's dropped off a little bit from the Catholic scrimmage. As week 3 or scrimmage rolls around, we should see how well the offense has molded together. It should be a special year for the offense and hopefully, Kier can build on last years success and shortcomings.

If the defense and offensive line can come on, I think by the Maryville game, we will see something special on the field and hopefully the best team that night will prevail.

Last, Powell has a whole lot of new young guns including Big Tony at NG...That is Kier's little cousin and with the help of #14, #26 and #2, you will see by year's end that Powell is starting something special as a program and everybody in Region 3 AAAA will have to mention them in the lights of taking over the region after Maryville moves on. That's my Pre-Season take on it...

Well, I didn't know that I was in the know or close enough to the program to warrant this type of attention, but I agree with HTV, we will know a whole lot more of the Panthers after these next two scrimmages. As you know in football, your biggest step up is after your first scrimmages and Powell showed that the week after Catholic was a week of major changes and adjustments.

As far as Alcoa, they really did hold their own with the 1's and the 2's dropped off a little bit from the Catholic scrimmage. As week 3 or scrimmage rolls around, we should see how well the offense has molded together. It should be a special year for the offense and hopefully, Kier can build on last years success and shortcomings.

If the defense and offensive line can come on, I think by the Maryville game, we will see something special on the field and hopefully the best team that night will prevail.

Last, Powell has a whole lot of new young guns including Big Tony at NG...That is Kier's little cousin and with the help of #14, #26 and #2, you will see by year's end that Powell is starting something special as a program and everybody in Region 3 AAAA will have to mention them in the lights of taking over the region after Maryville moves on. That's my Pre-Season take on it...

The only exception I take to your assessment is in calling Tony Keir's "little" cousin. That's kind of like calling the younger John Bruhin "Little" John. There is nothing little about either Tony or John.

As for the Maryville game, that's way too far down the road to even begin to talk about at this point. Maryville is still the king of the region and will be until if and/or when somebody knocks them off.

Norman will be able to see Friday night action alot faster at OL than DL.

I thought Powell's qb and receivers looked great tonight. I think they will have an improved year. That QB looks like a true dual threat. Best of luck to Powell.

Congrats CAK! Although we played our second team haha kidding (Halls thread)

We have to get better in a hurry but we will.

Congrats CAK! Although we played our second team haha kidding (Halls thread)

We have to get better in a hurry but we will.

That brightened my morning. I did hear though from my mother's uncle's brother's nephew that Fulton rested their entire team Thursday and fielded their pee wee squad. You can't be too careful with injury prevention.

Have a great season!