The Question

MOJO11

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

good coaching will win games ,bad coaching will loose games ,talent is great to have but if the coaches cannot put the talent where its needed then having talent doesn't matter ,you can skate thru with talent but in the end the teams that beat you have better coaching!!! look at the USA basketball team in 2004 they had all the talent and what happen???? YOU NEED COACHING

DEDICATION , CONDITIONING , DETERMINATION , DISCIPLINE , FUNDAMENTALS, COACHING , TALENT. AND A BIG BAG OF TRICKS

A good coach will instill dedication, determination, and discipline in a team (while cutting the players that don't believe those things are important). He'll also provide the conditioning and fundamentals necessary, along with a big bag of tricks if the players are up to it. Although he can't create talent he can hone talent and allocate it properly in building an effective team.

beside's just good coaching and good talent...you also have to have players that are humble enough to accept coaching...coachable...teachable and are willing to learn

there are alot of great players out their that never make it because in their mind they already know everything

give me average coaching...average talent...who are hungry to learn and to do what they are told and will out work everyone else...and you will win alot of high school football games

a great attitude will go along way

i think great coachng goes waaaaaaaay beyond x's and o's a great coach will win with average or sub par talent, a great coach can also humble those great but yet no it all stubborn superstars and have them playing for the good of the team. I think a lot of times great talent is over rated if you dont have great coaching. In my opinion I think you need great coaching FIRST then the talent especially in high school because you are not always going to have great talent.

i think great coachng goes waaaaaaaay beyond x's and o's a great coach will win with average or sub par talent, a great coach can also humble those great but yet no it all stubborn superstars and have them playing for the good of the team. I think a lot of times great talent is over rated if you dont have great coaching. In my opinion I think you need great coaching FIRST then the talent especially in high school because you are not always going to have great talent.

I agree 100%

It's not about the X's and O's, but the Jimmy's and Joe's.

But If Jimmy's in Joe's position and Joe doesn't know his new position ...what then? Sometime's Jimmy and Joe aren't utilized the way they should be because of below par coaching. How effective will they or the team be?

But If Jimmy's in Joe's position and Joe doesn't know his new position ...what then? Sometime's Jimmy and Joe aren't utilized the way they should be because of below par coaching. How effective will they or the team be?

Talent without coaching will never beat anyone they are not as talented as. Conversely, coaching without much talent will occasionally pull the upset.

The term "coaching" gets used so much and very few realize what the heck they are talking about. Good coaches beat folks they are not supposed to.........no matter the talent. They dont and cant do it all the time, but always will manage to do so at least a time or two each season. Poor coaches get beat by teams with LESS talent. Simple

I agree somewhat, The coach has to be all things, He does not have to be great at all things but has to recognize that all thing play part in the success of his program and players. You cannot just have talent and not put in the work to prepare them to the best they can be and You can't be a great coach in the eyes of many if you don't win. I like the notion of the football coach teaching the game of life, and part of that game is winning and losing. i think only those who have played and coached the game can truley judge coaches because those people know and understand how the coach impacted a program and players. Unfortunately we usually only judge coaches by wins and i think coaches that make the biggest impact have more than wins to their credit. The Coach from Whitehaven was quoted a week in Memphis, talking about his players getting scholarships and a free education and a chance to contiune doing something they love, playing football. From my experiences, to see those young men move to college and get a free education doing what they love, No win on a friday night could be greater to me than seeing the happiness of that player and his family when that occurs. The coach goes back to his office and works on how to win but also how to make a difference in the lives of his players, program, and community.

I am off my soap box now. Anyone agree or not?

cam6,

I agree 100% BUT thats in a perfect world. I doubt even the Athletic Director consider's that when releasing/hiring a coach...... sad but true. Win's or the potential to win is what I beleive is looked at when it comes to hiring. If you have Rankin (example) on one resume and Mr. Do'er of good deeds on the other resume competing for the coaching postion ....who win's? Like I try to remind my son...Life doesn't get any easier, Bad things happen to good people, the harder you work the luckier you will get and it's not always what you know but who you know........

DISCLAIMER:

Im using Rankin's record and name as an EXAMPLE ONLY.......not saying that he does not care about the players or community....PLEASE do not take this out of text......Just a name who's win record that people recognize....

[/quoteYou are correct! A prime example is Oakland. They have some talent and always do, but the new coach and his staff have made a world of difference.

I can resolve this question. The answer is COACHING. There is no doubt in my mind. I`m not totally dismissing talent, because that does help, But without direction and discipline talent loses its advantage. A good coach can make adjustments and make use of his advantages over a more talented team.

Also, and this is important, a good coach is a motivator and recruiter. A good coach can recruit his hallways and persuade more kids to play. Every school has athletes that don`t play sports. It`s very important to be able to get those kids that can help your team out on the field. A good coach recognizes talent and can put a kid at a position that can best help the team. A good coach can teach the good fundamentals that are important to being a good player. Most importantly, a good coach can take a kid who has no interest in the sport and instill team pride and discipline. You don`t necessarily have to be a great athlete, but you do have to know what you are suppose to do on the field and the proper way to do it.

Someone once said about Bear Bryant..."he can take his`n and beat your`n, and then he can take your`n and beat his`n".

Take a look at what Maryville has been able to do over a long period of time under Quarles. You can`t tell me that the water in Maryville makes those kids grow up into better athletes than other 4-A schools. No, the key is to be able to motivate the kids at your school to get out on the field and them TEACH them how the game is played, make them self - motivated to train and want to be better athletes, and recognize opponents weaknesses and capitalize on that by making it your strength.