TENNESSEE VIKINGS

THSVIKINGS11

Where is the.. INTENSITY...(yes coaches you too) We have it till we get ahead then ..its OHH.. well these guys will roll over for us /bored.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":bored:" border="0" alt="bored.gif" /> ..guess what?... ain,t nobody gonna quit till you make them quit. Until we get a killer instinct and put teams away when you have the chance were gonna have a dog fight every Friday night.

And I,m not saying you have to score 40-50 points to to that..just enforce your will... the rest will take care of its self.

Everybody wants to beat THS..it would make the season for some teams..So your gonna get everyones best shot every game and when you let a less talented team(no offense intended) hang in there till the end, they say..hey!! were in this thing..we gotta shot..we can beat these guys!! You can,t let that happen( ENFORCE YOUR WILL) till the end and take away all hope they have. With that said..We looked better in the running game O line started to open some holes, but still a long way to go. Kennan and tallman could,nt have ran any harder. Passing game..well missed opportunity's abound...QBs give your receiver a chance to make a play...THROW!! the ball and quit trying to guide it and make a perfect throw.. if you over throw...you can come back the next play..if you under throw 90% of the time its a pick..both you guys have very strong arms..let the receiver go get it..trust them to make a play for ya. ..This post may sound a little hardcore to some(and to those i apologize) but some will understand ,but you must understand i am HARDCORE win it comes to viking football /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" /> and just being brutally honest and call it as i see it.

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Where is the.. INTENSITY...(yes coaches you too) We have it till we get ahead then ..its OHH.. well these guys will roll over for us /bored.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":bored:" border="0" alt="bored.gif" /> ..guess what?... ain,t nobody gonna quit till you make them quit. Until we get a killer instinct and put teams away when you have the chance were gonna have a dog fight every Friday night.

And I,m not saying you have to score 40-50 points to to that..just enforce your will... the rest will take care of its self.

Everybody wants to beat THS..it would make the season for some teams..So your gonna get everyones best shot every game and when you let a less talented team(no offense intended) hang in there till the end, they say..hey!! were in this thing..we gotta shot..we can beat these guys!! You can,t let that happen( ENFORCE YOUR WILL) till the end and take away all hope they have. With that said..We looked better in the running game O line started to open some holes, but still a long way to go. Kennan and tallman could,nt have ran any harder. Passing game..well missed opportunity's abound...QBs give your receiver a chance to make a play...THROW!! the ball and quit trying to guide it and make a perfect throw.. if you over throw...you can come back the next play..if you under throw 90% of the time its a pick..both you guys have very strong arms..let the receiver go get it..trust them to make a play for ya. ..This post may sound a little hardcore to some(and to those i apologize) but some will understand ,but you must understand i am HARDCORE win it comes to viking football /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" /> and just being brutally honest and call it as i see it.

I've came to the conclusion that Tennessee High simply isn't going to play these teams with a lot of intensity until those teams can actually muster a win against the Vikings. Tennessee High plays DB, Science Hill, and South with a lot more intensity simply because they are the only teams on Tennessee High's schedule that have recently defeated the Vikings.

Here is how Vikings stand with their regular season opponents:

1. Dobyns-Bennett - 5 game losing streak - last Viking win came in 1997

2. Sullivan East - 40 game winning streak - has never lost to East

3. Virginia High - 11 game winning streak - last Bearcat win came in 1997

4. Unicoi Co. - at least a 7 game winning streak - last Blue Devil victory ??? probably in the '60s or '50s.

5. Science Hill - 2 game winning streak - last Hilltopper victory came in 2005

6. Sullivan North - at least a 5 game winning streak

7. Johnson Co. - 7 game winning streak - I don't think they've ever defeated Tennessee High

8. Elizabethton - 5 game winning streak - last Cyclone victory, 2003

9. Sullivan Central - 8 game winning streak - last Cougar victory, 1999

10. Sullivan South - 3 game losing streak - last Viking victory, 2004

I've came to the conclusion that Tennessee High simply isn't going to play these teams with a lot of intensity until those teams can actually muster a win against the Vikings. Tennessee High plays DB, Science Hill, and South with a lot more intensity simply because they are the only teams on Tennessee High's schedule that have recently defeated the Vikings.

Here is how Vikings stand with their regular season opponents:

1. Dobyns-Bennett - 5 game losing streak - last Viking win came in 1997

2. Sullivan East - 40 game winning streak - has never lost to East

3. Virginia High - 11 game winning streak - last Bearcat win came in 1997

4. Unicoi Co. - at least a 7 game winning streak - last Blue Devil victory ??? probably in the '60s or '50s.

5. Science Hill - 2 game winning streak - last Hilltopper victory came in 2005

6. Sullivan North - at least a 5 game winning streak

7. Johnson Co. - 7 game winning streak - I don't think they've ever defeated Tennessee High

8. Elizabethton - 5 game winning streak - last Cyclone victory, 2003

9. Sullivan Central - 8 game winning streak - last Cougar victory, 1999

10. Sullivan South - 3 game losing streak - last Viking victory, 2004

I know what your saying 04 and i agree...but playing down to your competition is a dangerous game ..ala volunteer last year and what I thought was a tough lesson learned.. evidently is already forgotten /sad.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":(" border="0" alt="sad.gif" />

I couldn??™t have said it any better myself. To be honest??¦the same thing that gets the fans fired up are the very same things that fire a team up and that is BIG HITS and BIG PLAYS. We are able to muster a big hit ever once and a while, but big (offensive) plays are few and far between and it??™s been that way for a while now. We have yet to identify any other option for a big play outside Keenan. The writing on the wall is so obvious even our opponents write about it after playing us. For example Tallman is a 220 pound highlight on his own. Almost every time he touches the ball you are left with your mouth wide open. But he is used so sparingly that you don??™t even notice that he barely leaves the field the entire game. One more example is our receivers are behind their defenders on the deep routes 90% of the time and even when the ball is thrown their way we have yet to get the ball anywhere close to giving them a chance to make a play. And that??™s with either QB!!! The timing on these routes should be paramount on the list of things to do in practice because it doesn??™t take a genius to know that if you are able to stretch the D out it will make it much easier for Keenan. Not to mention that we could possibly put up some points and finally take some air out of our opponents sail. Bottom line is that our play caller is going to have to grow a sack /ohmy.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":o" border="0" alt="ohmy.gif" /> and start calling plays to try to win the game instead of trying not to loose. Does that make sense? Keenan off tackle on 3rd and 8 aint even going to fool Coach Smith from SH at this point. Now how??™s that for being ???brutally honest???. /laugh.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

One more thing #4 J.T. is a playmaker!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It would be nice to have him deep on kickoff returns AND returning punts. That would truly give us a chance to capitalize on special teams. #24 CH has speed but he??™s a straight line runner with almost no lateral movement. And on punt returns #8 CS is a safe choice that will field the punt almost every time, but he??™s simple not quick enough to give you a chance for a return. J.T. is an exciting runner with good quickness, descent speed, and GREAT field vision! If he had Keenan??™s size he would easily be my starter. By the way??¦does anybody besides me miss Pendleton yet!!!!!!!!!!!! /dry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="

I couldn??™t have said it any better myself. To be honest??¦the same thing that gets the fans fired up are the very same things that fire a team up and that is BIG HITS and BIG PLAYS. We are able to muster a big hit ever once and a while, but big (offensive) plays are few and far between and it??™s been that way for a while now. We have yet to identify any other option for a big play outside Keenan. The writing on the wall is so obvious even our opponents write about it after playing us. For example Tallman is a 220 pound highlight on his own. Almost every time he touches the ball you are left with your mouth wide open. But he is used so sparingly that you don??™t even notice that he barely leaves the field the entire game. One more example is our receivers are behind their defenders on the deep routes 90% of the time and even when the ball is thrown their way we have yet to get the ball anywhere close to giving them a chance to make a play. And that??™s with either QB!!! The timing on these routes should be paramount on the list of things to do in practice because it doesn??™t take a genius to know that if you are able to stretch the D out it will make it much easier for Keenan. Not to mention that we could possibly put up some points and finally take some air out of our opponents sail. Bottom line is that our play caller is going to have to grow a sack /ohmy.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":o" border="0" alt="ohmy.gif" /> and start calling plays to try to win the game instead of trying not to loose. Does that make sense? Keenan off tackle on 3rd and 8 aint even going to fool Coach Smith from SH at this point. Now how??™s that for being ???brutally honest???. /laugh.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

One more thing #4 J.T. is a playmaker!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It would be nice to have him deep on kickoff returns AND returning punts. That would truly give us a chance to capitalize on special teams. #24 CH has speed but he??™s a straight line runner with almost no lateral movement. And on punt returns #8 CS is a safe choice that will field the punt almost every time, but he??™s simple not quick enough to give you a chance for a return. J.T. is an exciting runner with good quickness, descent speed, and GREAT field vision! If he had Keenan??™s size he would easily be my starter. By the way??¦does anybody besides me miss Pendleton yet!!!!!!!!!!!! /dry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="

BINGOOOO!!!!! /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" /> Well said..i thought it was just me that thought that /blush.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blush:" border="0" alt="blush.gif" />

Just wanted to elaborate on the thoughts of Cap1 and Viking 04. Each of these post are very interesting and show that you are seeing and thinking the same things many Viking fans are seeing and thinking. I think the primary question is.. "what is going on with the offensive play calling"? There is no consistancy/format to indicate any type of game planning. It's #31 right, #31 left, #31 up the middle.....then.... Magically... one of the great offensive minds sitting in the THS press box remembers.... We have a 220 lb fullback we forgot about. Let's give him the ball a couple of times. Needless to say, this great thought dissipates very quickly never to resurface again. To your point of "Big Plays", THS never takes the opportunity on a second down and short, if in the proper field position, to go big and over the top preferrably to this Wilson kid you have spoke to several times (fastest kid in the conference)?. Staying on the "big play" subject, I noticed on several 3rd and long situations Wilson was on the bench watching. Instead, THS chose to throw to the slot receiver several yards short of the first down and/or run it up the middle. You guys also spoke to #4 and his ability to make plays and "break the big one". My thoughts after seeing this kid were...Who is he and where has he been? Can anyone answer this question? I would like to see him get the ball at a few more times thus allowing for some benched talent to surface. The defense is another subject to which many questions could be asked. How much time do you have? Basically and from a fundamental perspective, to many missed tackles, to many busted coverages, to many players out of position. What is up with the secondary? Any thoughts? Secondary play is horrible!!!! However, Cory Young seems to be a very good cover guy. His support needs to become stronger on running plays, but, this is not a talent thing...this is an effort thing!!!. I'm going to get off of the defensive thing. I will approach defense again more iINTENSIVELY at a later date. My final thought on the offensive play/play calling...."If there is any more hidden secrets walking the THS sidelines, GET THEM IN THE GAME!!!! The product on the field at present time is not getting the job done"!!! As for the guy/guys calling the plays.....Well?????????????????? Just make sure they are comfortable!!! Do you think they may need some warm green/herbal tea. Perhaps a copy of the movie..... Bridges of Madison County. This should constructively occupy some or most of their time. Meanwhile, bring back Pigskin Pete. Give him the headset and lets ROLL.

The play calling is way to passive IMO also, but with Stubbs ball being defense and field position which all in all is not a bad statagy..as long as you take advantage of the field position and this year we have not done that at all.

A play that I have not seen used that would work alot is Kennan off tackle lft...next play Kennan Fake off tackle lft bootleg out the backdoor and then hit the backside go route or post. I'm sorry but its gonna be there just about every time as long as he is a threat in the run game /popcorneater.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":popcorneater:" border="0" alt="popcorneater.gif" /> . And #24 is fast but like cap said a straight line runner no field vision at least not yet , could have taken at least 2-3 to the house all ready with one cut, but he is only a soph i think, so that will come in time. And#4 he should be the H-back IMO just get him the ball in space and good things will happen. And the Defensive secondary .well?..all us on here have expressed our opinion on that one...HUH ..Cap. /mad.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":angry:" border="0" alt="mad.gif" /> And yes i will be glad when Matt gets healthy ..we need him /ph34r.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":ph34r:" border="0" alt="ph34r.gif" />

"The product on the field at present time is not getting the job done"!!!

Easy there tiger. The Vikes have won the last two games. I know it ain't pretty, but the results are good. Hopefully we'll come around. We finally have most of our line healthy. The fact is that we are not very deep on the line. #33 at East proved that. Pendleton will be healthy soon and that will help a lot. The fact is that South will kill us if we don't improve greatly, but I'm sure we're working on it every day. Oh and by the way #4 is junior TJ Simmons.

"The product on the field at present time is not getting the job done"!!!

Easy there tiger. The Vikes have won the last two games. I know it ain't pretty, but the results are good. Hopefully we'll come around. We finally have most of our line healthy. The fact is that we are not very deep on the line. #33 at East proved that. Pendleton will be healthy soon and that will help a lot. The fact is that South will kill us if we don't improve greatly, but I'm sure we're working on it every day. Oh and by the way #4 is junior TJ Simmons.

Yes, perhaps you're right and I appogize. Like the old saying goes "a win is a win". However, and just remember there is another saying that goes........."I told you so". Only time will tell!!!!

Just wanted to elaborate on the thoughts of Cap1 and Viking 04. Each of these post are very interesting and show that you are seeing and thinking the same things many Viking fans are seeing and thinking. I think the primary question is.. "what is going on with the offensive play calling"? There is no consistancy/format to indicate any type of game planning. It's #31 right, #31 left, #31 up the middle.....then.... Magically... one of the great offensive minds sitting in the THS press box remembers.... We have a 220 lb fullback we forgot about. Let's give him the ball a couple of times. Needless to say, this great thought dissipates very quickly never to resurface again. To your point of "Big Plays", THS never takes the opportunity on a second down and short, if in the proper field position, to go big and over the top preferrably to this Wilson kid you have spoke to several times (fastest kid in the conference)?. Staying on the "big play" subject, I noticed on several 3rd and long situations Wilson was on the bench watching. Instead, THS chose to throw to the slot receiver several yards short of the first down and/or run it up the middle. You guys also spoke to #4 and his ability to make plays and "break the big one". My thoughts after seeing this kid were...Who is he and where has he been? Can anyone answer this question? I would like to see him get the ball at a few more times thus allowing for some benched talent to surface. The defense is another subject to which many questions could be asked. How much time do you have? Basically and from a fundamental perspective, to many missed tackles, to many busted coverages, to many players out of position. What is up with the secondary? Any thoughts? Secondary play is horrible!!!! However, Cory Young seems to be a very good cover guy. His support needs to become stronger on running plays, but, this is not a talent thing...this is an effort thing!!!. I'm going to get off of the defensive thing. I will approach defense again more iINTENSIVELY at a later date. My final thought on the offensive play/play calling...."If there is any more hidden secrets walking the THS sidelines, GET THEM IN THE GAME!!!! The product on the field at present time is not getting the job done"!!! As for the guy/guys calling the plays.....Well?????????????????? Just make sure they are comfortable!!! Do you think they may need some warm green/herbal tea. Perhaps a copy of the movie..... Bridges of Madison County. This should constructively occupy some or most of their time. Meanwhile, bring back Pigskin Pete. Give him the headset and lets ROLL.

The first thing that came to mind in the Volunteer loss last year was, "What a waste of talent!" Now, that wasn't meant to be a jibe toward any of the players; it was just the thought of what last year's team could've done had they avoided the upset and what it would be like to replace guys such as Baker, Bible, and Dickerson in the 2008 season. The Vikings have had difficulties on offense and defense this year, however, they are 2-1 and are likely to finish somewhere in the range of 7-3 or 9-1. It really depends on whether the play calling will change and whether the Vikings can get the utmost out of their athletes. You can guarantee that other teams won't hesitate to use their strengths even if it's somewhat risky. I just feel that guys such as Tallman, Young, and Simmons have been wasted thus far. Tallman had 4 carries for about 27 yards against Sullivan East and never touched the ball again until the end of the game. With Pendleton's return imminent, I must ask, do you believe that both Pendleton and Tallman will see the offensive side of the ball or do you believe one will only play defense? They need to use the talent they have instead of wasting it.

The first thing that came to mind in the Volunteer loss last year was, "What a waste of talent!" Now, that wasn't meant to be a jibe toward any of the players; it was just the thought of what last year's team could've done had they avoided the upset and what it would be like to replace guys such as Baker, Bible, and Dickerson in the 2008 season. The Vikings have had difficulties on offense and defense this year, however, they are 2-1 and are likely to finish somewhere in the range of 7-3 or 9-1. It really depends on whether the play calling will change and whether the Vikings can get the utmost out of their athletes. You can guarantee that other teams won't hesitate to use their strengths even if it's somewhat risky. I just feel that guys such as Tallman, Young, and Simmons have been wasted thus far. Tallman had 4 carries for about 27 yards against Sullivan East and never touched the ball again until the end of the game. With Pendleton's return imminent, I must ask, do you believe that both Pendleton and Tallman will see the offensive side of the ball or do you believe one will only play defense? They need to use the talent they have instead of wasting it.

True to your post, the Volunteer loss was devistating. It was devistating not only for the players and coaches, it in addition, it was a big blow to the fans. The game, on behalf of the Volunteer, was a great example of a good game plan/execution and and spreading the ball arount the field. The spread offense is tough to defend. It opens up the box and forces the opponents to use extra defensive backs as opposed to linebackers. However, you can use linebackers, but, most of the time the use of linebackers does not off set the speed differences of wide receivers. I was suprised that it took THS 2 quarters to figure out how to get the receivers covered. If I am remmembering correctly, the inside slot receiver was uncovered for most of the game (#3). I thing THS finally got him covered arount the 3rd quarter. I use this example to to say, Volunteer was prepared and won the game with limited talent as opposed to THS. THS needs to spread the wealth, use the 52 yards from sideline to sideline, be creative in using their talent, and not afraid to step ouitside of the box. I would rather see an aggressive offensive and defensive.... i.e. more blitzes, more cover 2 (man under) to defend the sweeps and shallow passes on defense. However, cover 2 is vunerable to the middle long ball, but, this is aggressive play. The two deep backs have to have speed to off set the vunerabilities of the deep middle. Also, bring the corners up and let them use the bump technique thus allowing for , as stated above, stronger support form the corners (read up on this coaches, It's called the Tampa 2 defense Modified/created by Tony Dungy. On offense, THS needs to get organized.....to much time getting the play in! I was amazed to see the wide receivers benched to be replaced by linebackers during the East game and line them up tight. This only allowed for # 33 of east to pin back his ears and... well...you know the rest of the story. This could have been stopped by multiple receivers lined up wide to pull linebackers out of the box (spread). This EHS defense would have been, for an offensive coordinator, an early Christmas present for the taking. He/they didn't even look under the tree. With all this said, you can win with lesser talent. This can be done by solid game planning and understanding the weeknesses and strengths of your opponents,and getting the most out of the talents on your team. With THS, it seems to be the same old dancer in the same old shoes every week. I have rooted hard for THS since moving to the area a couple of years ago. True to the fact, THS has won a couple of games. However, when the 1A and 2A schools dissapear from the schedule, will THS be prepared or will the THS fans see the same dancer once again.