TENNESSEE VIKINGS

THSVIKINGS11

I??™ve come to believe that what is seen by the coaches in practice is not what is perceived by us in the stands on game day. Players that we see and think could elevate the team from the little bit we see on the field during the game must really tank it at practice and vise versa. Players that we have witnessed drop crucial passes in games must be making one handed grabs on the practice field because the ones that play are (obviously) the better players in the coaches??™ eyes. I have no reason to doubt any of our coaches so it is what it is??¦which leads me to these hypothetical questions. If you were a NFL coach and Usain Bolt decided to join your team??¦would he sit the bench? (By the way for those who don??™t know Mr. Bolt is the 6??™4??? Jamaican Olympian that is now known as the fastest human on Earth with a 9.6 second 100m World Record). If he couldn??™t run routs correctly??¦what would you do? If he couldn??™t catch??¦what would you do? /huh.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":huh:" border="0" alt="huh.gif" />

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cap I been there as a coach. I had a young man, now a vetenarian, have miserable practices and never saw the game field (I was unable to truley evaluate him). Injuries to others finally put the young man on the field and he all but dominated the game. After publically bragging on him to the team. I took him aside and let him know that he was a cheat, selfish and an I first guy. I then said the position was his, but if he didn't practice hard, I would put anyone out there but him.

2 years later, he was all state at linebacker. On another note he was also a C+ student who became a A student.

All things being equall, only hard work should be rewarded.

As first rule of thumb from a coaches standpoint is :you have to adapt to the talent you have at your disposel..if you have big powerful linemen then you are going to be a power running team for the most part...if you have athletic players or speed players) you have to go to a more wide open type Offense(spread) where zone blocking is at a premium and you don,t have to have a giant 0 line. What i,m trying to say is you can't try to put a square peg in a round hole and fuss because it don,t fit. /mad.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":angry:" border="0" alt="mad.gif" />

And as for getting the plays in on offence..any experienced O coordinator knows ..you have to think at least 2 plays ahead to get the right plays called and get them in with time to spare..you can,t have knee jerk play call just to get a play in. You have to play a chess game so to speak , set the other team up at times you may even have to call a play that you know isn't going to work at givin time ..just to set something later in the series or for the next series or even the second half. And you have to chart your plays.. what works , what doesn't against certain D sets and teams in certain down and distance situations that way you have something to refer to in games down the road. And i really don,t see allot of rhyme or reason to allot of the play calling going on.. other than(HURRY!! GET A PLAY IN) not much fore thought at all or game planning so to speak and if there is its lost in the heat of battle seems to me. /ohmy.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":o" border="0" alt="ohmy.gif" />

I??™ve come to believe that what is seen by the coaches in practice is not what is perceived by us in the stands on game day. Players that we see and think could elevate the team from the little bit we see on the field during the game must really tank it at practice and vise versa. Players that we have witnessed drop crucial passes in games must be making one handed grabs on the practice field because the ones that play are (obviously) the better players in the coaches??™ eyes. I have no reason to doubt any of our coaches so it is what it is??¦which leads me to these hypothetical questions. If you were a NFL coach and Usain Bolt decided to join your team??¦would he sit the bench? (By the way for those who don??™t know Mr. Bolt is the 6??™4??? Jamaican Olympian that is now known as the fastest human on Earth with a 9.6 second 100m World Record). If he couldn??™t run routs correctly??¦what would you do? If he couldn??™t catch??¦what would you do? /huh.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":huh:" border="0" alt="huh.gif" />

Call Renaldo(skeets) Nehemiah ..he'll let ya know /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

Cap I been there as a coach. I had a young man, now a vetenarian, have miserable practices and never saw the game field (I was unable to truley evaluate him). Injuries to others finally put the young man on the field and he all but dominated the game. After publically bragging on him to the team. I took him aside and let him know that he was a cheat, selfish and an I first guy. I then said the position was his, but if he didn't practice hard, I would put anyone out there but him.

2 years later, he was all state at linebacker. On another note he was also a C+ student who became a A student.

All things being equall, only hard work should be rewarded.

Great story! /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" /> I have a feeling that much of the same scenario could ring true in this situation.

I think that Coach Mays needs to back his corners up friday night about 2 or 3 more yarss for the deep passes

any thoughts

Two or three more yards and I could play corner!! /laugh.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" /> I don??™t think the problem is the long ball. We have only been beat deep once this year and that was in the DB game. I believe our problem is that we are just givin up that 4 to 6 yard pass to the flats??¦and they add up. However I do believe Coach Mays has taken steps this week to counter that attach. Every time this is brought up I can??™t help but think about the 04??™ Maryville game. They went form one side to the other throwing this short flats pass ALL THE WAY DOWN THE FIELD and we had no answer for it. I also watched some of the South game on TV Tuesday and they did the exact same thing to Greeneville.

Viking11 it sounds like you question the speed of the corners, and the ability of the safty to make the right read??

Two or three more yards and I could play corner!! /laugh.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" /> I don??™t think the problem is the long ball. We have only been beat deep once this year and that was in the DB game. I believe our problem is that we are just givin up that 4 to 6 yard pass to the flats??¦and they add up. However I do believe Coach Mays has taken steps this week to counter that attach. Every time this is brought up I can??™t help but think about the 04??™ Maryville game. They went form one side to the other throwing this short flats pass ALL THE WAY DOWN THE FIELD and we had no answer for it. I also watched some of the South game on TV Tuesday and they did the exact same thing to Greeneville.

Viking11 it sounds like you question the speed of the corners, and the ability of the safty to make the right read??

No i don't question Coach Mays, but from what i heard, Unicoi County has a cople deep deep passes in there playbook

I am suprised the offense has not been turned over to Coach Wampler. When I was selling sporting goods in Knoxville, Wampler was offensive coordinator at Anderson County for Larry Kerr and he did a great job with a wide open offense

that averaged around 200 yards rushing and 150 passing. Anderson County has not been the same since he left.

Wow! It seems there is a meeting of some of the greatest coaching minds of all time on this board. I cant believe you guys have day jobs! Resign. Head for the NFL! Get paid for the abundance of wisdom you are pouring out. Oh by the way Rebels will still be Conf champs, even if all of you are on the sidelines calling plays. Keep working Vikes at least make it interesting for week ten

I totally agree. If it was as easy as getting on here and saying what should have been or what could have been then we would be state champions. /mad.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":angry:" border="0" alt="mad.gif" /> I think that part of the problem is that players arent "natural" players anymore. They cant firgure out what to do if the play doesnt pan out exactly like they do it in practice. They cant make adjustments and then it looks like a boched up play. If youve ever coached kids then you would know that everything isnt exactly as it is practices and kids today dont have enough knowledge (except for a few) to create somehting else out there. I know people can sit up in the stands and bad mouth coaches or get on boards like this and bad mouth coaches but have you ever walked in their shoes. Coaching today is alot harder than it was a few years ago. The kids arent dedicated or focused, they are spoiled and they dont know what hard work is. They pout and then their parents run and jump all over the coaches because their little babies are upset. I saw (and heard) one of the player's parent (who has been talked about on here..."why isnt so and so playing more...blah blah") in a coaches face after one of the games blessing out the coach who had nothing to do with their son's playing time. The athletic director had to pull him off the field and threaten to call the police. And you guys wonder why these coaches cant coach. Support your team, which includes players and coaches and stop trying to second guess everything they do /dry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=" .

I totally agree. If it was as easy as getting on here and saying what should have been or what could have been then we would be state champions. /mad.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":angry:" border="0" alt="mad.gif" /> I think that part of the problem is that players arent "natural" players anymore. They cant firgure out what to do if the play doesnt pan out exactly like they do it in practice. They cant make adjustments and then it looks like a boched up play. If youve ever coached kids then you would know that everything isnt exactly as it is practices and kids today dont have enough knowledge (except for a few) to create somehting else out there. I know people can sit up in the stands and bad mouth coaches or get on boards like this and bad mouth coaches but have you ever walked in their shoes. Coaching today is alot harder than it was a few years ago. The kids arent dedicated or focused, they are spoiled and they dont know what hard work is. They pout and then their parents run and jump all over the coaches because their little babies are upset. I saw (and heard) one of the player's parent (who has been talked about on here..."why isnt so and so playing more...blah blah") in a coaches face after one of the games blessing out the coach who had nothing to do with their son's playing time. The athletic director had to pull him off the field and threaten to call the police. And you guys wonder why these coaches cant coach. Support your team, which includes players and coaches and stop trying to second guess everything they do /dry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=" .

WOW!!! How sahllow can one be. This is so shallow it probably does not deserve a response. However, Coaching defined.....

A structural process-driven relationship between a trained coach and an individual or team which includes: assessment, examining values and motivation, setting measurable goals, defining focused action plans and using validated behavioral change tools and techniques to assist them to develope competencies and remove blocks to achieve valuable and sustainable changes.

Nice try Einstein!!!!!