best in west tennessee?

patriot01

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do have one question. Now, I'm an east Tennesee high school football fan, but I do wonder why a 'West Tennessee 4A Powerhouse', aka Henry Co., schedules 2A teams out of conference?

Couldn't we ask the same question of a certain East Tennessee 4A Powerhouse (granted, it's an extremely strong 2A school this powerhouse plays every year)?

lets not forget millington in 5A. they lost by 1 point to Indy in the semis last year. only lost 1 game last year. althought they did lose a large senior group, they have filled those positions quite nicely.

I've heard that they look great this year. We don't get to see much from Memphis until the playoffs. Any chance one of their games will be televised?

As to which team is the best in West TN...I think HC is def one of them (and at the top in 4A). We have a phenomenal group of players this year and a good shot of going all the way if they can stay focused.

I've heard that they look great this year. We don't get to see much from Memphis until the playoffs. Any chance one of their games will be televised?

As to which team is the best in West TN...I think HC is def one of them (and at the top in 4A). We have a phenomenal group of players this year and a good shot of going all the way if they can stay focused.

Isn't anyone going to mention MUS!? They just beat a powerhouse Olive Branch,MS team 29-22!? You have to put them up there after that win, at least for this year......

I don't agree with that at all. I understand and agree that Henry County is very good. They aren't the only VERY GOOD team in West Tennessee. I'd toss them in there with the cream of the crop in West Tennessee, but on any given Friday night ... they can be beat by another team in West Tennessee. The competition is that good. Heck ... the hardest region in the whole state is in Memphis. Region 8-5A. It is the SEC of Tennessee High school football. Is Henry County ONE of the best in West Tennessee? ... Yes. Are they THE best? Nope. There really isn't any way to establish that either. I just mentioned 8-5A ... but there are more then just 8-5A teams to consider as well. 7-5A and Div. 2 IIIA has some as well. Nope ... I don't agree with that statement at all. I purposfully didn't mention 8-4A because you have bested those teams for the past 2 years ... even though the Melrose win wasn't a dominant win ... you could and probably should have lost that game. But, I will give Henry County their due ... they are very good. But not the best in West Tennessee by any means.

Hey kwc, agree on a lotof points but the sec of high school football, I think the toughest region in the state would have to be the one with Franklin, Brentwood, Ravenwood, Independence, Dickson. This region has represented the west in the big game for most of the last 7 years, 4 of the five have made the title game in the last six years, it is a nasty region.

I don't agree with that at all. I understand and agree that Henry County is very good. They aren't the only VERY GOOD team in West Tennessee. I'd toss them in there with the cream of the crop in West Tennessee, but on any given Friday night ... they can be beat by another team in West Tennessee. The competition is that good. Heck ... the hardest region in the whole state is in Memphis. Region 8-5A. It is the SEC of Tennessee High school football. Is Henry County ONE of the best in West Tennessee? ... Yes. Are they THE best? Nope. There really isn't any way to establish that either. I just mentioned 8-5A ... but there are more then just 8-5A teams to consider as well. 7-5A and Div. 2 IIIA has some as well. Nope ... I don't agree with that statement at all. I purposfully didn't mention 8-4A because you have bested those teams for the past 2 years ... even though the Melrose win wasn't a dominant win ... you could and probably should have lost that game. But, I will give Henry County their due ... they are very good. But not the best in West Tennessee by any means.

I never said they were the only very good team in West TN. I think they could play with and beat any 5A or DII team in Memphis on any given Friday night. How can you say they are not the best in West TN by any means, but say there is no way to establish that?

I do have one question. Now, I'm an east Tennesee high school football fan, but I do wonder why a 'West Tennessee 4A Powerhouse', aka Henry Co., schedules 2A teams out of conference?

Geography!!! Weare in upper bWest Tennessee surrounded by1A and 2A schools. We are 60 miles from the closest 4A or 5A schools. In our region are 3 Jackson schools(60 miles),Hardin County (90+ miles), Brighton and Munford( both 100+ miles) .Dickson County, a regular opponent, 1s over 70 miles.I doubt that many other schools in TN face the travel and scheduling problems that we do.

GO BIG RED

I never said they were the only very good team in West TN. I think they could play with and beat any 5A or DII team in Memphis on any given Friday night. How can you say they are not the best in West TN by any means, but say there is no way to establish that?

No ... you said they were the BEST, regardless of classification. That's what I disagree with. They are ONE of the best. To establish who would be the best would require that you get the cream of the crop in West Tennessee, regardless of classification and play them against each other to see who is the best. That's not going to happen so there isn't any way to establish the best. Henry County is amoung the elite ... but they aren't the epitome of High school football in West Tennessee. My whole point is this; there isn't ONE school you can point to in West Tennessee and say "they are king". Too many good programs who don't cross paths to do something like that. If you would have said ... they are ONE of the best in West Tennessee ... that I would agree with; but to blatently say "they are the best regardless of classification" is something I simply don't agree with. Its your opinion, and you are entitled to it. I just don't agree with it in any way. Too many quality teams out there that don't play each other to try and make a statement like that.

Before anyone crowns Henry County as the best 4A school in the west? There is a team called Melrose still out there. I saw them lose a heartbreaker to an outstanding MUS team which beat Olive Branch at Olive Branch. Olive Branch also beat an outstanding Pahokee team from Florida the week before. Melrose always has a ton of athletes. There is no doubt that Henry County is outstanding.

Hey kwc, agree on a lotof points but the sec of high school football, I think the toughest region in the state would have to be the one with Franklin, Brentwood, Ravenwood, Independence, Dickson. This region has represented the west in the big game for most of the last 7 years, 4 of the five have made the title game in the last six years, it is a nasty region.

Prophet:

Yeah ... I'm aware of the toughness of that region. 8-5A has Whitehaven, Germantown, Houston, Collierville, and White Station as tough competiters. White Station has a new coach but the team is still hard nosed. Wooddale was tough s few years back when coach Miller was there. They have fallen off since he went to Southwind. Now, Kirby is building a tough program with their new head coach, coach Flowers, who lead Melrose to a state championship game several years back. I call 8-5A the SEC of highschool football for those very reasons. 8-5A is a very, very tough region; year in and year out. There are others that are tough, but I think 8-5A is THE toughest in the state regardless of classification.

Before anyone crowns Henry County as the best 4A school in the west? There is a team called Melrose still out there. I saw them lose a heartbreaker to an outstanding MUS team which beat Olive Branch at Olive Branch. Olive Branch also beat an outstanding Pahokee team from Florida the week before. Melrose always has a ton of athletes. There is no doubt that Henry County is outstanding.

People aren't talking about Melrose, for good reason or not, because Henry County has beaten them the last 2 seasons. Although you are correct, their loss to MUS is looking better every week. And while I'm at it, kwc is absolutely correct. There are too many talented teams floating around in West Tennessee to crown one as the undisputed best. The problem is that many people use differing qualifications for "best in West Tn". Many leave out any Memphis school as if they are their own category while others are only referring to 4A when referencing the best. While it's fun to talk about, and would be an absolute spectacle to see determined, it's rather fruitless until some championships are handed out.

lets not forget millington in 5A. they lost by 1 point to Indy in the semis last year. only lost 1 game last year. althought they did lose a large senior group, they have filled those positions quite nicely.

nodoubt about it millington is the best in the west, the juniors onthis team have won achampionship at every level, and have lost one game in three years, that was independence