AC vs Powell

tennvolsfan27

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

THis is a battle of two giants. No, no, no, not the teams the coaches. We'll get to see who rolls up there sleeves more often Kerr or Lowe.

Now to the game - Powell goes down again to a 3A team.

I guess they could schedule a 3A power like Gibbs (cough cough). What would you do - Schedule a 3A team like Catholic/AC/Fulton, who would likely beat a team like Powell (or Halls), or schedule a 3A cupcake like Gibbs, just to get the 'W'? As nice as the 'W' would be, I think a high school team can gain a lot more from playing a better football team, win or lose.

I'll pick AC by 21, 35 to 14, primarily because of the comments by the Powell faithful about their defense. AC is very good on the ground and in the air. They are not one dimensional at all as in the past. Interestingly, however, AC kept it on the ground against Fulton and pounded out the yardage, so you never know the gameplan they'll come up with.

Mav ... I agree ..I look for AC to win by 21 at least ... no way can Powell defense stop your guys running game .. you are correct my Falcons had no answer for your running game and I would look for same against Powell .. I was at Fulton / Powell scrimmage and Fulton could have just ran the ball on Powell but they had to work on passing game so bad .... Powell 's front is not very physical , kind of like Fultons so I would say Larry will run it till they stop it like they did at Fulton ... this could be AC's year to make a run into the playoffs if they can be balanced on offense and get a little better on defense.

I think Coach Lowe has done a pretty good job with the amount of talent that he has had. Remember when Coach Duncan left, after Miligan and that crew graduated, the cupboard was pretty bare. I believe the year after that was 4-7, and we got purple pounded by Chatt. Central in the first round of the playoffs. Then, when Huber and Bruhin were Srs Powell almost beat Maryville. That was a year removed from going 4-7. Powell fans have been a little spoiled in terms of expectations that past few years. Since the 2005 season, the talent level has been down in PHS. Now things are back on the upswing and I am confident that Coach Lowe is the man for the job. PHS will compete for a state title in the coming years. Beyond that, I would much rather have a guy like Lowe running the show then a guy that has earned the nickname lyin' Larry Kerr. Not the type of man I would want leading my son to battle, but that's neither here nor there I suppose.

As for Friday I would be surprised if AC throws the ball more then 10 times Friday night. Kerr isn't complicated with his playcalling. He's gonna line up and cram it down your throat untill you stop it. If Powell can step it up up front (Dline and Linebackers) then they have a chance. I know last year was pretty embarrassing in terms of AC throwing the ball on Powell, but I feel like the secondary is much improved this year. If the Panthers can make AC put it in the air they will have chance to be in the game. I have faith in the defensive staff at Powell. Coach Wilks is a football genius. If anyone can get the defense straightened out, it's him.

I think that the panthers should move Joe Cardio to Linebacker because he is always the one making all the tackles...Well Anthony Phillips Makes alot to but other than Phillips the Linebackers are weak...The 3 man front for Powell is not good...When your Biggest D-linemen only weighs about 245 or so you will not clog up anything with three guys...That works when you have John Bruhin, Lee Smith, and Jared Mgaha...but Powell does not have that size this year and they are giving up way to many big plays on the ground...If the offense can get going and get the defense playing off emotion (which is the only way they will slow down ac's running game) the Panthers may be able to upset the much better Mavericks...And you never know what will happen on Homecoming....Does anybody remember the Farragut game!