Sullivan North @ Tennessee High

tricitiessportsfan

Who do you think will win this matchup?  

48 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you think will win this matchup?

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From tricitiessports.com:

THS' Stubbs Sees Vision of Epic Viking Team When Watching North

By Bucky Dent

TriCitiesSports.com

October 1, 2008

When Tennessee High coach Greg Stubbs watched video of Sullivan North Sunday, he saw something very familiar.

He saw a team built around a fast, hard-hitting defense creating short fields for the offense. He saw an offense punishing defenses with a Wing-T attack that could succeed with misdirection and raw power. He saw a special teams unit generating its share of big plays.

In short, he saw his first Viking team staring back at him, a team which won 12 straight games and reached the Class 4A quarterfinals in 2001.

"They don't beat themselves," Stubbs said of the Golden Raiders, which visit the Stone Castle Friday night in a big Mountain Lakes Conference game. "They play good defense, don't turn the ball over and they are believing in themselves. That's the four things you need right there."

Ranked sixth in this week's 4A poll, North has morphed from pleasant surprise to feel-good story to target. While Golden Raiders coach Robbie Norris continues to keep the same approach -- "We have enough pressure without adding any," he said -- his team can no longer sneak up on anyone.

And that's the way Norris wants it.

"We just treat every game like it's the same," he said.

Until further notice, there's no reason for North to change its formula. It's outscored its opponents by 182-39, with only one game being closer than 10 points. The Golden Raiders haven't trailed in a game yet.

On paper, their odds to make it six in a row seem to improve by the minute. THS lost two more starters to injuries -- rover Carlos Howard (knee) and FS T.J. Simmons (concussion) in last week's 24-6 loss against Science Hill.

Stubbs said his roster is so thin that the team has just three healthy defensive ends and linebackers. What's more, the Vikings pulled freshman Orlando Gammon off the JV roster this week and plan to give him action as a backup at running back.

"We're trying to reach for a reserve tank, if we can find it," Stubbs said.

Rather than seeing an injury-riddled side which is scuffling to find able bodies, Norris looked at the video of the Science Hill game, when THS outgained the Hilltoppers 140-45 in the first half and pushed the ball inside the 20-yard line twice without scoring.

Norris felt the Vikings would have won had Science Hill not blocked a field goal and returned it 89 yards for a touchdown on the first half's last play.

"They're a quality football team," he said of THS.

Stubbs plans to give North a heavy dose of MLC rushing leader Keenan Shepard, who has 714 yards and 10 touchdowns in the season's first half. The Golden Raiders' attack is much more balanced, led by Eric Pearcy's 329 yards and six scores.

Despite his team's shorthanded plight, Stubbs is using the MLC standings as a carrot. The winner takes a very important step towards securing a playoff berth and might have an inside track on clinching a first round home game Nov. 7.

"It's a big football game for us and North," he said. "We're still in the running for the conference title."

Game Notes: One piece of good news on the injury front for THS is the possible return of Bradley Tallman, who hopes to start at defensive end after missing the Science Hill game with a hip flexor. Tallman practiced on Tuesday ... This could be the last meeting for a while between the schools due to TSSAA realignment that takes effect next year, as the Vikings will move to a Class 5A/6A league while the Golden Raiders are headed for a 3A/4A conference ... The game can be heard on WOPI-AM (1490), with pregame coverage starting at 6 p.m. WXSM-AM (640) will also carry the game, starting at 6:30 p.m., with the pregame.

I really can't fiqure out who you are referring to on this thread except maybe Cap1 (who is a THS fan) that is not supporting North Football.You keep saying Kingsport University as an insult to DB.I support North football and hope they go to the state.So do alot of other people who are DB fans.Lynn Garden pee-wee football is the best youth football in the city.I think CHAC in Colonial Heights is the best outside the city.As Skunk said in his post,it is a testament to the coaches at North,and the players on this years team of what hard work and team spirit can get you.Best of luck to North.Roll Tribe Roll PS If you are who I think you are ,your boy is having a good year at MLB.!!!!!!

Hey??¦don??™t get me in the middle of this cousin quarrel! Even I know when to keep my mouth out of it. /blush.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blush:" border="0" alt="blush.gif" /> But??¦since you brought me up??¦I have to say that I personally respect the kids and their parents??™ decision to go to North. From the outside looking in it looks like everybody involved benefited from the decision. It also seems as if it was done with allot of class??¦no ridiculous articles in the paper and no one from either side has come on here blasting the others program...you should try to keep it that way. I sort of envy but admire this ???family??? type spirit you Kingsportians have developed where it??™s ok to fight each other but you gang up on outsiders. /dry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=" Simply put??¦all of the talking has been done on the field and believe ME??¦we hear each and every one of you (DB, South, and NORTH) here in Bristol. But that doesn??™t silent the fact that we are going to be silencing one of these strong voices this Friday!!! /tongue.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" /> /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

don't know if there are "so many transfers", (and don't call me Shirley) but some of the families have moved and some have utilized the city/county lottery situation...all are legal...and all are part of a TEAM...with at least five games left to play...and the next one is a big one...and hopefully would be a good one...

Roll Tribe Roll

don't know if there are "so many transfers", (and don't call me Shirley) but some of the families have moved and some have utilized the city/county lottery situation...all are legal...and all are part of a TEAM...with at least five games left to play...and the next one is a big one...and hopefully would be a good one...

Skunk this had to be a hard decision for you and your family knowing that the Indian blood runs deep. I would think that JT understands but I can??™t see him wearing Raiders apparel /laugh.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" /> to the game even thought I??™m sure he completely supports lil bro.

/popcorneater.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":popcorneater:" border="0" alt="popcorneater.gif" /> Looking forward to the game!! I think THS is ready! Big week of practice has helped THS gain the confidence it needs. Everyone knows they can-they just need to do it! Here's hoping for a safe, injury free, good sportsmanship on both sides game.

GO VIKINGS! /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

Raiders vs Vikings:::::

For me, like many, I'm sure, know the recent Vikings history and, well, we are familiar with the Raider history, as well. Unless you are one of the Raider faithful (which I'm not), who knows this team, the personnel, the skill level and performance capabilities, ---this would appear to be a classic David vs Goliath epic. All has been documented about the Vikings injuries and all has been discussed about the Raider season-to-date weak schedule, but now it's down to the "nut-crackin", as they say. The sports experts are favoring North (5 out of the 7), mostly by narrow margins. I think two of them are on funny weed--favoring North by more than a touchdown. /rolleyes.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" />

I give very little edge to THS for their home-field advantage, for I feel that North's positive attitude offsets any homefield advantage that THS thinks it has.

This is a very interesting matchup----THS's tough run defense vs North's solid run offense. It might just come down to the mistakes and turnovers. (that's not a cliche---I think it is true for this one)

If Bradley Tallman is back from injuries--------I'll take THS in this one. If Bradley is out--I'll go with North.

I'd be at this one, for sure, if my Rebels weren't playing.

Good luck to both teams that you have a great, safe game--no injuries.

Skunk this had to be a hard decision for you and your family knowing that the Indian blood runs deep. I would think that JT understands but I can??™t see him wearing Raiders apparel /laugh.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" /> to the game even thought I??™m sure he completely supports lil bro.

Cap,

He definately loves his little brother, but no JoJo won't be in the Raiders colors...Cap, I have 6 children and they all have needs and wants (as we all do) and sometimes there are things that can be worked out, when worked on...as I am sure you understand.

Good luck to your Vikings, I hope it is a good game and they all leave healthy.

Roll Tribe Roll

Cap,

He definately loves his little brother, but no JoJo won't be in the Raiders colors...Cap, I have 6 children and they all have needs and wants (as we all do) and sometimes there are things that can be worked out, when worked on...as I am sure you understand.

Good luck to your Vikings, I hope it is a good game and they all leave healthy.

Roll Tribe Roll

Skunk,

As for me (D-B parent) and my son (D-B player) we will be in attendance and wearing Raider colors! Nothing against Tenn High, but we gotta support our old teammates and coach!! We wish only the best for those guys! Roll Tribe and Raiders!

Again, I encourage all who are looking for a game to watch tomorrow night, anyone from Kingsport, Bloomingdale, Lynn Garden, Arcadia, Bristol TN/VA, Blountville, Indian Springs, Bluff City, Piney Flats, EVEN Colonial Heights, or from anywhere else not mentioned, come out to the game at the Stone Castle tomorrow night, pick a side and cheer them to victory, this game should be a treat.