Sullivan North @ Tennessee High

tricitiessportsfan

Who do you think will win this matchup?  

48 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you think will win this matchup?

Understandable, but also keep in mind that the majority of your conference opponents, such as Elizabethton, Johnson Co., Unicoi Co., and Sullivan North are student population wise 3A schools with less depth than Tennessee High. I understand your talking about injuries, I am simply pointing out the disadvantage your competition faces due to lesser student population numbers, where injuries play an even more significant role to the success of their teams. This week, you face a Sullivan North team where a major injury to 1-2 key players could potentially take away their competitive edge. The Raiders have a grades 9-12 student population of 630 students, as quoted by Coach Norris in a tricitiessports.com article, leaving them at a significant disadvantage. Be glad you??™re in a situation where you can replace talent with other talent, though they may be inexperienced.

Yea??¦a disadvantage until several athletes just fall into your lap. I don??™t know about you but replacing or should I say ADDING seasoned talent from other schools in the same county sound like a sweeter deal to me. /biggrin.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yea??¦a disadvantage until several athletes just fall into your lap. I don??™t know about you but replacing or should I say ADDING seasoned talent from other schools in the same county sound like a sweeter deal to me. /biggrin.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

I can't really argue with you on that Cap. FB/MLB #14 Bradley Baker and WB/CB #5 Matt Washington transferred last year, academic year 2007-2008, due to disagreements with Coach Clark. WR/KR/PR/CB/FS #3 Sterling Throp transferred this year, due to disagreements with Coach Clark. From what I understand, none of the disagreements led to dismissal from the team, all three chose to leave the team, transfer, and continue their high school football careers elsewhere. In the past when DB athletes transferred, they typically transferred to Volunteer (for unknown reasons). When these three looked around the Kingsport area, I would surmise (and it may be completely wrong) that they were familiar with Coach Norris, who coached at DB during their freshman year, and felt the Raiders could use their athletic trade more readily, as South is loaded and Volunteer is a bit to far from their homes. Yes, it is apparent that North has seen tremendous success with these additions, but from what I know inside the Raider program, these three were accepted by the players as one of their own.

Question for you though Cap, since we're on the subject. I don't mean to be a smart elec when I ask this, I am actually interested in what information you may be able to provide. Do any players from surrounding high schools transfer in to the Viking program like they once did at DB? Also, do Viking players that leave the program for, we'll say, 'unknown' reasons transfer to surrounding high schools to finish their high school football careers? Being from Kingsport and having different suburbs, the word on the street in Bristol seems to get lost along the highway.

I can't really argue with you on that Cap. FB/MLB #14 Bradley Baker and WB/CB #5 Matt Washington transferred last year, academic year 2007-2008, due to disagreements with Coach Clark. WR/KR/PR/CB/FS #3 Sterling Throp transferred this year, due to disagreements with Coach Clark. From what I understand, none of the disagreements led to dismissal from the team, all three chose to leave the team, transfer, and continue their high school football careers elsewhere. In the past when DB athletes transferred, they typically transferred to Volunteer (for unknown reasons). When these three looked around the Kingsport area, I would surmise (and it may be completely wrong) that they were familiar with Coach Norris, who coached at DB during their freshman year, and felt the Raiders could use their athletic trade more readily, as South is loaded and Volunteer is a bit to far from their homes. Yes, it is apparent that North has seen tremendous success with these additions, but from what I know inside the Raider program, these three were accepted by the players as one of their own.

Question for you though Cap, since we're on the subject. I don't mean to be a smart elec when I ask this, I am actually interested in what information you may be able to provide. Do any players from surrounding high schools transfer in to the Viking program like they once did at DB? Also, do Viking players that leave the program for, we'll say, 'unknown' reasons transfer to surrounding high schools to finish their high school football careers? Being from Kingsport and having different suburbs, the word on the street in Bristol seems to get lost along the highway.

Actually 2 more that I know of that you didn't mention. Nick Gorman Lineman, and Brandon Rogan RB both transfered this past year from DB for what ever reasons.

Stuff like this happens at a lot of schools. Tennessee High received a few fullbacks from the Sullivan East area a few years back, one went to East while the other one went to Bluff City Middle prior to enrolling at Tennessee High. If I recall correctly, Danny Thomas came from Sullivan North. At the same time, a few players go to other schools; Ayala went to Virginia High and Shockley went to Sullivan East.

Actually 2 more that I know of that you didn't mention. Nick Gorman Lineman, and Brandon Rogan RB both transfered this past year from DB for what ever reasons.

Your right. I failed to mention Brandon Rogan because he is no longer on the roster, I believe he left on his own terms. Nick Gorman is still playing, wearing #65 for the black and gold.

Stuff like this happens at a lot of schools. Tennessee High received a few fullbacks from the Sullivan East area a few years back, one went to East while the other one went to Bluff City Middle prior to enrolling at Tennessee High. If I recall correctly, Danny Thomas came from Sullivan North. At the same time, a few players go to other schools; Ayala went to Virginia High and Shockley went to Sullivan East.

Thanks for the information THSViking, your always a reliable souce.

Guest footballfan100

there are several reasons that play into these decisions of boys playing at different schools. one of these is that several of the boys you are talking about( matt washington, rogan, douglas cook, throp, baker,,,,etc) became familiar with coach norris while at db and knew that they could trust him and became friends wiht him. When coach norris left to go to North, the players prob knew that they could tTRUST him and KNEW that they would LOVE to play for him. these two things go a long way in gaining a kids trust and having them to play hard for you regardless of the situation or school. Then Coach Norris made a personell additions (hiring Coach Tim Monk, Mike Copas) that the kids were familiar with and fit the same mold as Coach Norris himself. When kids of this age have a coach that they know will be there for them and will stand behind every thing that they say, it really means a lot to them. I know that what ever the coaches at Sullivan North tell ALL the kids on the team, not just the fave 13-15, will be the truth and will come from their heart and will be in the best interest of the young man himself---in football and in their everyday life. If you could ask the players themselves for the real reason of ehy they are playing at North instead of at Kingsport U, you might be surprised at their answer. It may just be a better football program than you think!!!

Why cant you guys be proud of what the coaching staff and young men are doing this year at North because at the start of the year everybody was forecasting another bad year for the Raiders and now that the tables has turned, you guys cant stand it. Have you ever heard any of the coaches in the paper bragging or boasting of their record or accomplishments, I havent. All i have heard is Coach Norris continue to talk about what they can do to get better and improve on frm week to week. That sounds like a good coach to me!!!!

Sounds to me like a few of you are just jealous and cant stand the fact that some of your boys have actually left your university and prospered better in their decision. Some of you sound like my 1 year old crying the blues....

GO RAIDERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think the support for the job Coach Norris and his staff and the players have done has been very positive...it seems to me that most of the area has been very supportive including folks from D-B...

North has played hard every game, that is a testament to the people involved...they have been able to be face the season as underdogs and they have grown together as a unit; again a testament to the people involved...I sure enjoy the effort of this team...

all the kids who have matriculated to North are all there for different and personal reasons...but the end result is that all three teams closest to Kingsport are having great seasons with young people having a chance to be a part of something, to compete, to grow, to learn, and hopefully in the big picture to succeed...

Roll Tribe Roll

Not trying to start trouble here, but seriously, how is North getting so many transfers? I thought transfers had to show a legit change of address. Surely all these families aren't moving?? Don't get me wrong, I'm glad these kids are getting to play ball somewhere. Just wondering. Is it because North is inside the city limits? If this is the case, then we will probably see this trend continue and North could really benefit from this. Good luck to North vs. TH.

there are several reasons that play into these decisions of boys playing at different schools. one of these is that several of the boys you are talking about( matt washington, rogan, douglas cook, throp, baker,,,,etc) became familiar with coach norris while at db and knew that they could trust him and became friends wiht him. When coach norris left to go to North, the players prob knew that they could tTRUST him and KNEW that they would LOVE to play for him. these two things go a long way in gaining a kids trust and having them to play hard for you regardless of the situation or school. Then Coach Norris made a personell additions (hiring Coach Tim Monk, Mike Copas) that the kids were familiar with and fit the same mold as Coach Norris himself. When kids of this age have a coach that they know will be there for them and will stand behind every thing that they say, it really means a lot to them. I know that what ever the coaches at Sullivan North tell ALL the kids on the team, not just the fave 13-15, will be the truth and will come from their heart and will be in the best interest of the young man himself---in football and in their everyday life. If you could ask the players themselves for the real reason of ehy they are playing at North instead of at Kingsport U, you might be surprised at their answer. It may just be a better football program than you think!!!

Why cant you guys be proud of what the coaching staff and young men are doing this year at North because at the start of the year everybody was forecasting another bad year for the Raiders and now that the tables has turned, you guys cant stand it. Have you ever heard any of the coaches in the paper bragging or boasting of their record or accomplishments, I havent. All i have heard is Coach Norris continue to talk about what they can do to get better and improve on frm week to week. That sounds like a good coach to me!!!!

Sounds to me like a few of you are just jealous and cant stand the fact that some of your boys have actually left your university and prospered better in their decision. Some of you sound like my 1 year old crying the blues....

GO RAIDERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I really can't fiqure out who you are referring to on this thread except maybe Cap1 (who is a THS fan) that is not supporting North Football.You keep saying Kingsport University as an insult to DB.I support North football and hope they go to the state.So do alot of other people who are DB fans.Lynn Garden pee-wee football is the best youth football in the city.I think CHAC in Colonial Heights is the best outside the city.As Skunk said in his post,it is a testament to the coaches at North,and the players on this years team of what hard work and team spirit can get you.Best of luck to North.Roll Tribe Roll PS If you are who I think you are ,your boy is having a good year at MLB.!!!!!!

Guest footballfan100

good post skunk, i am glad your son is now going to North. I think it was a very wise decision on your part. He will do well there. I just think that most kids have 4 years to play high school ball, so why waste them standing on the sideline with 80 other kids.