Maryville vs Who ever they play next week.......

MLREB

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry, lucky was a bad way to say it...It's not easy to get lucky against the Rebels no matter who you are. I just really hope someone challenges Maryville. Their program has my utmost respect, but I would love to see them have a close game with someone that isn't Alcoa

Now, that I can understand completely, but with all due respect to every team in East TN that isn't Alcoa and Maryville, it would appear that it will require Maryville playing teams from outside of East TN in order to get closer games from opponents outside of Alcoa on a regular basis.

Now, that I can understand completely, but with all due respect to every team in East TN that isn't Alcoa and Maryville, it would appear that it will require Maryville playing teams from outside of East TN in order to get closer games from opponents outside of Alcoa on a regular basis.

So I guess beating 8 out of the last 10 representatives from either Memphis or Nashville area is not good enough for you ?

They have played teams outside of East Tn. every year in the playoffs. They have beaten Middle TN teams for the state championship. It is always up for debate, but my opinion is that the most competitive side of the state is East TN. Look at how Maryville, Alcoa, and Fulton have pretty much owned 2A-4A. Granted, Fulton didn't win the championship last year, but they were there. Regions 1&2 5A are always strong and deep. During this streak, Maryville has always beaten who was on thier schedule. What more can you ask? It is my hope that Sullivan South can end the streak this year, but until Maryville loses, whether it be in 4A or 5A, they are the team to beat.

I agree...maybe someone more local will surprise us in the next few years BurroBall. Who knows

So I guess beating 8 out of the last 10 representatives from either Memphis or Nashville area is not good enough for you ?

Uh, what are you talking about? AHSBUTTER said he wishes Maryville would play some closer games than Alcoa. I said that with all do respect to other teams in East TN not named Alcoa, in order for that to happen it will likely require Maryville playing teams outside of East TN.

I wasn't trying to put down East TN football or Maryville's schedule...they play the best they can in East TN. I know that and don't deny it. They have beaten HHS 3 times, Melrose twice, Maplewood once over the past 7 years. That is very impressive, but you'll notice that basically all those games were against better teams (have to be to make the State Championship game) than Maryville plays in the regular season and therefore they were much closer. That really can't be denied can it?

Now KWoodroof ...Coach Flatt apparently didunt thank that 'average' Mairvul should have been on tha feeled with BA in '76..... /blink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blink:" border="0" alt="blink.gif" />

I don't know any of the details on that one, although it was pretty early in his career. He probably had more respect for your program than you would think: he went to Cumberland High School in north Nashville (my dad's alma mater, and the place I saw my first game). While it was a Nashville school, it was small (AA in '71 when it closed), and was a poor and working class area.

Besides, as he got older, I think he got used to coming out second best in state finals.

I don't think it will be a lucky team that ends Maryville's current winning streak. I believe it will be a team that is definitely more talented, but here is the key: they also will be just as disciplined and unified of a team as Maryville. Coaching is obviously the final thing: it will have to be up to par with George Quarles (there aren't many in TN).

Hillsboro 2002 was better in talent....Butt Mairvul dont know what the werd "quit" meens..... Thay stayed close enuff after trailin' 14 or more 4 different times....Got tha lead and tha Burros could not overcome tha Rebs surge...Wonder if Henry County's big Fullback iz big as tha Fridge???? /blink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blink:" border="0" alt="blink.gif" />

Uh, what are you talking about? AHSBUTTER said he wishes Maryville would play some closer games than Alcoa. I said that with all do respect to other teams in East TN not named Alcoa, in order for that to happen it will likely require Maryville playing teams outside of East TN.

I wasn't trying to put down East TN football or Maryville's schedule...they play the best they can in East TN. I know that and don't deny it. They have beaten HHS 3 times, Melrose twice, Maplewood once over the past 7 years. That is very impressive, but you'll notice that basically all those games were against better teams (have to be to make the State Championship game) than Maryville plays in the regular season and therefore they were much closer. That really can't be denied can it?

Alcoa was not our closest game last year during the regular season , William blount was . William Blount had more intensity for that one game last year than anybody we played .

Hillsboro 2002 was better in talent....Butt Mairvul dont know what the werd "quit" meens..... Thay stayed close enuff after trailin' 14 or more 4 different times....Got tha lead and tha Burros could not overcome tha Rebs surge...Wonder if Henry County's big Fullback iz big as tha Fridge???? /blink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blink:" border="0" alt="blink.gif" />

Yes, 2001 and 2002 HHS teams had boatloads more talent than Maryville, but Maryville had two big things on HHS: A more disciplined and unified TEAM, and a better coach. Talent is only worth anything when the team is unified, disciplined, and coachable (hopefully they have a great coach). If you have those qualities and then have talent you are going to be pretty good, but if you have talent without those qualities a team who isn't quite as talented, but has those qualities (i.e. Maryville in 2001 and 2002) can beat you. In Maryville's case in 2002, they were down 21-3 at halftime and came all the way back to win 27-24.

Also, from everything I've heard the Henry Co. RB is as big as Calvin "Fridge" Bryant was, but is faster and quicker. He is being recruited by some SEC schools, so I have to believe he is a load.