big 9 basketball

unc1

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, I guess I could pull the old Eminem/Slim Shady bit, where you never knew what you were going to get. I'm glad there's a fan out there for some of my older posts, which were pretty much just trying to get under people's skins and crack some jokes. It's a lot easier to do that when the team you cheer for is undefeated and steamrolling people. It's harder when they lose, and basketball season is pretty much non-existant. Since then, I guess I've been relatively tame. The only thing I've done is critiqued a certain Central player's game. After re-reading it, it probably was too harsh, but I didn't mean it to be an attack. Just an anaylsis of his game. I miss posting like I did during football season, but there's a time and place for everything, and I'm not sure if there's a lot to joke about this season. I'm more of a basketball guy anyway, so I like talking shop with you guys on here about the games and everything. But, the second I have a chance to hound somebody and crack a joke, I'm gonna take it /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

I can't wait! Keep it crackin! /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

Maybe you and tricitiessportsfan can hook up and hold hands during the game! /blink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blink:" border="0" alt="blink.gif" />

Maybe, since you're the big man on campus, can teach your basketball team how to dribble and pass properly. I mean, you guys were talking big game before the Science Hill, and now I don't hear a thing from you guys. Maybe you can tell your team to stop throwing up jump shots that they cannot make. Maybe you shouldn't call me out, because 0% of the people of coachT care about schs78 and me on the other hand? I did start the phenomenon the Inner Circle. People read my posts on here. I can already name Crawdad as a fan of rebelrebelman and I can name zero people who would mind if you deleted your account. Strike up the band! Rebelrebelman 64 - schs78 39!

Maybe, since you're the big man on campus, can teach your basketball team how to dribble and pass properly. I mean, you guys were talking big game before the Science Hill, and now I don't hear a thing from you guys. Maybe you can tell your team to stop throwing up jump shots that they cannot make. Maybe you shouldn't call me out, because 0% of the people of coachT care about schs78 and me on the other hand? I did start the phenomenon the Inner Circle. People read my posts on here. I can already name Crawdad as a fan of rebelrebelman and I can name zero people who would mind if you deleted your account. Strike up the band! Rebelrebelman 64 - schs78 39!

He's baa-aack!!! /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

Dobyns Bennett 73

David Crockett 43

Final

Dobyns Bennett controlled the game, from start to finish, but looked sloppy on both ends for the majority of the night. The Indians jumped out to an 11-0 lead in the first two minutes of the opening period. The Tribe's man to man defense and full court press took its toll early on the Pioneers, forcing turnovers, bad passes, and premature shots. Dobyns Bennett scored most of their points in the first working out of their half court offense, scoring few fast break points. David Crockett was cold from the floor in the first, though having various scoring opportunities, mainly off of dribble drives and dishes to Garland in the post. However, they were unable to convert. The Indians, though, looked sloppy, slow, uninspired, and as if they were going through the motions throughout most of the first, yet coasted to a first quarter advantage of 28-12. Things didn't improve much for the Tribe in the second, continuing to look disorganized and sloppy on both ends of the floor while becoming cold from the field. David Crockett somewhat took advantage, out pacing the Indians 15-10 in the second quarter, bringing the score to 38-27 at half. David Crockett point guard, Campbell, played poorly in the first half, unable to create scoring opportunities for his team, nor finish his dribble drives, knock down his jump shots, or convert his free throws. The bright spots for the Pioneers were Freeman and Garland. Freeman out hustled most of the Tribe in the first half, creating his own scoring opportunities. Garland caused trouble for the Indian offense, blocking a couple of shots, forcing Dobyns Bennett to go around him to get to the basket. Standouts in the first half for the Indians were Adams with 10 points, McConnell with 9 points, and Edwards with 7 points.

Dobyns Bennett was cold shooting out of the locker room, allowing the Pioneers to go on a 5-0 run in the first two minutes of the third quarter, drawing the score to 38-32, appearing to give the Indian faithful something to worry about, not to mention Coach Morgan a heart attack. After an Indian timeout, Dobyns Bennett went on a 16-0 run to finish out the third period, riding the shoulders of Denison, who offered the spark, and Edwards down low. The Indians pushed their lead out to 22 at the end of three, 54-32. I really felt bad for the Pioneers Campbell, who was unable to get a friendly roll and was called for two charges in the third quarter. The fourth quarter was back and forth, with many substitutions. The last four minutes of the game offered humor, however, as the Indians were called for a team technical foul for having 6 players start out a possession. From there it was bedlam. Both teams went to junior varsity form and it seemed as if the floor became wet and the ball was covered with Vaseline, with both teams unable to keep their feet or hold onto the ball. It was quite comical to say the least.

The Indians looked, as I said earlier, sloppy, slow, uninspired, and as if they were going through the motions throughout most of the game. The Indians were not moving their feet in the man to man on defense. The press was affective in the third quarter, but the Pioneers were able to break it multiple times in the first half. On offense, outside of the first few minutes in the first quarter, Dobyns Bennett forced shots and took bad looks. They very much seemed to live up to the phrase, 'playing down to their opponent??™s level'. I understand I am complaining when they won by thirty points, but the team picked to win the conference at the beginning of the season looked rather average tonight.

The Pioneers looked like a bottom feeder. Their inability to make lay ups and open jump shots, not to mention knock down free throws, was their down fall. I would assume it has been a problem for them all year. Campbell was obviously struggling tonight, and David Crockett will be in trouble if he is unable to correct his inefficiencies from the point. Garland showed flashes of what he could be tonight. I expect him to become a good inside presence for the Pioneers as he continues to mature physically. Freeman impressed me for most of the night. The kid hustled up and down the court, created scoring opportunities for himself, and was everything that Campbell was not. Again, if David Crockett expects to win some games in conference, Campbell will have to step up and Freeman and Garland will have to play at high level. Otherwise, it??™s a cellar finish for the Pioneers.

Notes: The Lady Indians defeated the Lady Pioneers, 53-35, in the varsity girl??™s game. The Kennedy Dribblers were the halftime entertainment. George Pitts, former Science Hill head coach and current King College head coach, was seen in attendance. Tomorrow, Greeneville will travel to Kingsport to take on Dobyns Bennett in a non-conference game, with four games scheduled for the following:

Junior Varsity Girls, 1:00 p.m.

Junior Varsity Boys, 2:30 p.m.

Varsity Girls, 4:00 p.m.

Varsity Boys, 5:30 p.m.

Roll Tribe.

Thanks TCSF for the DB analysis. I like the part about how Crockett can't make lay-ups, open jumpers, or free throws. That's the perfect storm, right there.

I went to the Tn High East game. THS controlled the game for 3 of the 4 quarters, so it was pretty much an open and shut game. But I'll delve in further..

East- Bad. I won't spend too much time here. Horrible defense. They have some pretty interesting three point shooting, but other than that, not much else. Their threes were falling tonight and they still weren't in contention in this game. They turned the ball over like crazy, and like I said, the defense was atrocious. Bad. Grade: D

THS- The Vikings played reletively up-tempo, much to my suprise. But first thing is first. Number 11 for the Vikings looks exactly like Edward Norton. You know, the guy from Fight Club and the newest Hulk. Just like him. He should only be refered to as Edward Norton from now on. Also, Corey Young got the ball stolen from him by a former Holston Optimist player. Not pretty on Corey's part. Not a whole lot to report from the Vikings camp. They ran their pattened defense where they play like they're on fire and foul people until the opponent is dazed and confused. When they weren't killing people, they did create a lot of turnovers, and made plays on the break. The offense wasn't dazzing, but they shot the ball well, worked it inside well to Canty, and just took good shots. A lot of the Vikings points came from running on the break, off turnovers (thanks East!) Like I said, it was a smoothe, methodical offense and they got the shots they wanted. This all seems nice, but I have to think a lot of it has to do with East's horrible defense. I do know that THS's defense was there, but it's hard to gauge their offense from this East team. The starters played almost of all this game, I'm sure because their bench has been described as very week. Young played pretty well, knocking down jumpers and running the offense and Webb look good tonight, playing within the offense and did some nice things. This looks like just another year for THS. 3rd in the conference, perhaps? Grade: B.

Thanks TCSF for the DB analysis. I like the part about how Crockett can't make lay-ups, open jumpers, or free throws. That's the perfect storm, right there.

I went to the Tn High East game. THS controlled the game for 3 of the 4 quarters, so it was pretty much an open and shut game. But I'll delve in further..

East- Bad. I won't spend too much time here. Horrible defense. They have some pretty interesting three point shooting, but other than that, not much else. Their threes were falling tonight and they still weren't in contention in this game. They turned the ball over like crazy, and like I said, the defense was atrocious. Bad. Grade: D

THS- The Vikings played reletively up-tempo, much to my suprise. But first thing is first. Number 11 for the Vikings looks exactly like Edward Norton. You know, the guy from Fight Club and the newest Hulk. Just like him. He should only be refered to as Edward Norton from now on. Also, Corey Young got the ball stolen from him by a former Holston Optimist player. Not pretty on Corey's part. Not a whole lot to report from the Vikings camp. They ran their pattened defense where they play like they're on fire and foul people until the opponent is dazed and confused. When they weren't killing people, they did create a lot of turnovers, and made plays on the break. The offense wasn't dazzing, but they shot the ball well, worked it inside well to Canty, and just took good shots. A lot of the Vikings points came from running on the break, off turnovers (thanks East!) Like I said, it was a smoothe, methodical offense and they got the shots they wanted. This all seems nice, but I have to think a lot of it has to do with East's horrible defense. I do know that THS's defense was there, but it's hard to gauge their offense from this East team. The starters played almost of all this game, I'm sure because their bench has been described as very week. Young played pretty well, knocking down jumpers and running the offense and Webb look good tonight, playing within the offense and did some nice things. This looks like just another year for THS. 3rd in the conference, perhaps? Grade: B.

i wil agree wityou tonight the pats coun't guard their shadow. i had seen better defense in middle school if this was the best they have look out in the bottom. i will also say t high don't have much bench but cantyand youn cn be tough to handle. i guess this was why you never had to writ much in your pad tonight wasn't it. i had seen east play alot better but tonight was bad, i thought both teams showed good things at times but like you said with the great defense east played anyone would havelooked good.

I've yet to see Daniel Boone, I picked them to beat Sullivan East on Tuesday and was sorely disappointed. Although the Rebels looked average at best last night, I still think they are a mid card in the Big 9. Daniel Boone has only beaten teams from the Watauga Conference, and the scores from those games show close contests. We'll see.

Well tcsf, you're the man. I guess we are better than Boone. /blink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blink:" border="0" alt="blink.gif" /> I tell you what, there is some bad basketball being played in this conference. That was ugly. I just feel sorry for D-B and SH that they will not have any better competition to improve themselves with.

Yesterday??™s Big 9 Conference Scoreboard:

(brought to you by tricitiessportsfan)

Dobyns Bennett 73, David Crockett 43

Tennessee High 65, Sullivan East 49

Sullivan South 56, Daniel Boone 51

Cherokee 75, Volunteer 65

Science Hill 84, Walton, GA 82 ??“ 2OT

South Greene 46, Sullivan North 35*

Tonight??™s (12/6) Big 9 Conference Schedule

Greeneville @ Dobyns Bennett

Asheville Christian, NC @ Science Hill

Sullivan East @ Abingdon, VA

tricitiessportsfan Pick'em record: 7-1

*rebelrebelman, I am thankful I did not attend the Sullivan North game last night. The write up on the varsity boy??™s game relays that the game was as ugly as ugly can get. Also, kingsportfan was keeping me updated on his sister??™s varsity girl??™s game at the end of each quarter. It was 26-4 at the end of the first, and 49-15 at half. The final was 74-29. Enough said.

Cap, I did some research and here is what I have for Tennessee High's basketball schedule so far:

Tennessee High (5-3, 2-0)

November

11/19 W vs. Happy Valley @ Tennessee High, 47-28

11/22 W vs. Hampton @ Tennessee High, 62-42

11/26 L vs. Tabernacle Baptist, Bahamas @ Bahamas Invitational, 50-46

11/27 W vs. St. Georges, Bahamas @ Bahamas Invitational, 54-43

11/28 L vs. Northeast Richland, SC @ Bahamas Invitational, ?

11/29 L vs. Columbia, GA @ Bahamas Invitational, ?

December

12/3 W vs. Sullivan South, 50-46

12/5 W vs. Sullivan East, 65-49

Could you ask your son what the ball park scores for the games with Northeast Richlands, SC and Columbia, GA were so I can put them on your schedule as somewhat actual scores? Thanks in advance.