big 9 basketball

unc1

Let's not get caught up in the quality of officiating or the tactics of Volunteer's coach and players on this thread. That back and forth ruined the Big 9 Conference thread last year. I, for one, found it rather annoying and it killed the purpose of that thread, keeping away those who could have added quality information, logical analysis, and reasonable banter. My suggestion for those wanting to comment on the things mentioned above, create a new thread and post to your hearts content.

Tired of people bringing things up from the past. I believe its Big 9 Basketball so our comments are just as important to us as your scheduling & so called predictions are to you. Remember Freedom of speech to all basketball fans even if its not your cup of tea. People get on here and bash Volunteer alot and they are no better than than anyone else. These kids have played good games against DB & SH they deserve a little more credit. Good Luck to all the teams tonight!

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree that this was the worst officiating I have seen in the many Big 9 Conference games I have attended to date. I also agree that good officiating can have an influence at the end of a game, especially with fouls that lead to free throw opportunities. However, I still believe the officials did not make the difference in this game. They were consistently bad throughout the game and did not seem to discriminate. The Cougars whipped the Indians last night. Both will benefit from the outcome. Sullivan Central will gain confidence from the victory. Dobyns Bennett will refocus and learn from the loss. I would say if you asked any of the players on the floor, from either team, they all would admit the officiating was bad, but I also believe they would tell you the officiating wasn't the difference in the game.

I went to the Crockett DB game last week. In the second half, Crockett had 14 or 15 fouls called on them compared to the 4 called on the Tribe in the second half. One of the 4 was a technical foul because DB had 6 on the court. I'm not saying this effected the outcome but the score was 38-32 DB in the 3rd Qtr. After Crockett made their run, they were called for 6 or so straight fouls which put DB in the bonus...in the 3rd Qtr. DB would have won the game anyways, but all the fouls definitely stopped any momentum Crockett had and they wouldn't have lost by 30.....maybe by 15. Again, I'm not whining or complaining, I just think the officiating was a little unbalanced and that is just the way it is sometimes.

On another note, I think quick guards are going to hurt DB in the future. I believe DB has a good team this year, but Crockett's PG got a lot of penetration and had some good-wide open looks...he just couldn't hit any shots...which is often the case for us /dry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="

From a Crockett point of view......They are young. We start two Soph and we only have 2 seniors. One is the big man, Zach Garland. If he stays out of foul trouble this year we might win some games. The other is a shooting/point guard, Sam Tarlton. He has a nice shot and should be a good player in the future. I look to see Crockett finish in the top half of the conference in a year or two.

I went to the Crockett DB game last week. In the second half, Crockett had 14 or 15 fouls called on them compared to the 4 called on the Tribe in the second half. One of the 4 was a technical foul because DB had 6 on the court. I'm not saying this effected the outcome but the score was 38-32 DB in the 3rd Qtr. After Crockett made their run, they were called for 6 or so straight fouls which put DB in the bonus...in the 3rd Qtr. DB would have won the game anyways, but all the fouls definitely stopped any momentum Crockett had and they wouldn't have lost by 30.....maybe by 15. Again, I'm not whining or complaining, I just think the officiating was a little unbalanced and that is just the way it is sometimes.

On another note, I think quick guards are going to hurt DB in the future. I believe DB has a good team this year, but Crockett's PG got a lot of penetration and had some good-wide open looks...he just couldn't hit any shots...which is often the case for us /dry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="

From a Crockett point of view......They are young. We start two Soph and we only have 2 seniors. One is the big man, Zach Garland. If he stays out of foul trouble this year we might win some games. The other is a shooting/point guard, Sam Tarlton. He has a nice shot and should be a good player in the future. I look to see Crockett finish in the top half of the conference in a year or two.

Sounds like a bright future for Crockett hoops. I look forward to seeing the sophomores play when they meet South later on. Good luck.l

Tired of people bringing things up from the past. I believe its Big 9 Basketball so our comments are just as important to us as your scheduling & so called predictions are to you. Remember Freedom of speech to all basketball fans even if its not your cup of tea. People get on here and bash Volunteer alot and they are no better than than anyone else. These kids have played good games against DB & SH they deserve a little more credit. Good Luck to all the teams tonight!

There's a reason people get on here and bash Volunteer. First off, if you think Sciene Hill was rougher than Volunteer in this last game, that's fine, that's just one game. Sounds like both teams got too aggressive. But for a handful of years no team has relied on dirty, cheap shots, and straight-up muggings like Volunteer. I'm a man about town, and when I talk basketball with former players, or even fans, if the conversation ever goes to Volunteer it's always the same response, "Oh those guys, I hate those guys, I remember when we played.." then they tell a story about how a Volunteer player undercut them or something. This is from everyone. So, yeah, they kinda have a reputation. Their coach is a straight-up crazy man. Most escaped loons go live under a bridge, well, Coach Whit stumbled into Volunteer and got a coaching job. When a crazy coach is telling crazy kids to do crazy things, then yeah, people are gonna bash Volunteer. The game is getting a little too physical, and the Foulcans aren't helping anything by acting like every basketball game is a Rocky fight.

There's a reason people get on here and bash Volunteer. First off, if you think Sciene Hill was rougher than Volunteer in this last game, that's fine, that's just one game. Sounds like both teams got too aggressive. But for a handful of years no team has relied on dirty, cheap shots, and straight-up muggings like Volunteer. I'm a man about town, and when I talk basketball with former players, or even fans, if the conversation ever goes to Volunteer it's always the same response, "Oh those guys, I hate those guys, I remember when we played.." then they tell a story about how a Volunteer player undercut them or something. This is from everyone. So, yeah, they kinda have a reputation. Their coach is a straight-up crazy man. Most escaped loons go live under a bridge, well, Coach Whit stumbled into Volunteer and got a coaching job. When a crazy coach is telling crazy kids to do crazy things, then yeah, people are gonna bash Volunteer. The game is getting a little too physical, and the Foulcans aren't helping anything by acting like every basketball game is a Rocky fight.

Ok why not bash SH then for there roughness? No...its always Volunteer. Nobody in the Big 9 has ever had a techical for an excessive foul? But you only hear when it is Volunteer. You can't wait to run home get on your computer and gossip like a 90 year old woman. And when did YOU or Anybody hear Coach Whit tell his kids to undercut? When you can answer that with facts NOT fiction then I will listen. Just a bunch of gossiping old men on here that have no clue! Give this and the future Falcons a break!

Ok why not bash SH then for there roughness? No...its always Volunteer. Nobody in the Big 9 has ever had a techical for an excessive foul? But you only hear when it is Volunteer. You can't wait to run home get on your computer and gossip like a 90 year old woman. And when did YOU or Anybody hear Coach Whit tell his kids to undercut? When you can answer that with facts NOT fiction then I will listen. Just a bunch of gossiping old men on here that have no clue! Give this and the future Falcons a break!

He said to tricitiessports.com that he was glad his team finally got physical. We want to be the toughest team in the conference last year. He yells during a timeout last year at the Boone Tourney that there better not be another free layup. I don't care what you have to do or what happens to them. No more open layups. He even said it to a reporter.

How can you keep taking up for this guy? I can't wait till a player gets hurt after he tells his to do something like this and he and the school is sued for everything. He is telling players to hurt other teenagers. How can you defend that?

I have talked to his former players and they will tell you that he tells them that nobody better be more physical, no matter what, in practice.

It will keep coming up until something changes.

First, I was a gossping old man, then I was a gossiping 90 year old woman. You can't pick a gender. And I don't know many 90 year old women who can operate a computer, or concern themselves with high school basketball. And why don't I bash SH? Like I said in my previous post, it was one game. Ok, SH I officially bash you. Feel better? SH did it for one game. Yeah every team has had a hard foul. But no team has a reputation for dirty play like Volunteer? You think everyone, me included just randomly picked Volunteer and say let's call them dirty! They get called out on being dirty because they ARE dirty. Have I sat in a practice and heard Whit tell his guys to be dirty? No, but if different Volunteer players are pulling the same stunts under the same coach, then I'm going to make a reasonable estimation that it's coming from the coach. Not to mention, I've heard a couple former players who are actually good guys say Whit's methods are a little sketchy. That's coming from actual players. The man doesn't have the talent to compete for a big 9 title so he uses dirty tactics, cheap shots, and undercuts, plus moving screens (not dirty but still not legal) to try to win, which they still don't do a lot of (winning that is). Like I said, it's not coincidence or a conspiracy that everyone complains about Volunteer's tactics. They've earned it. You reap what you sow. You wanna play like jerks, then you get treated like jerks.

OK SO WHAT ABOUT TONIGHTS MATCHUPS?

Tonight's (12/12) Big 9 Conference Schedule

Sullivan Central @ Sullivan East

Sullivan South @ Science Hill

David Crockett @ Daniel Boone

Game of the Night

Sullivan Central over Sullivan East

The Patriots have proved they can shoot well. We'll find out tonight if they can shoot well consistently. Johnson, Cross, and Deeb are all better than average shooters, but the downfall of Sullivan East, in this game, may come in the paint. The Cougars may come out flat, coming off an emotional victory at home against preseason Big 9 favorite Dobyns Bennett. Look for Devault to have another big night down low. This game may come down to the play of Cougars point guard Brown and his wingman Roberts. If Brown continues to operate the Sullivan Central offense efficiently and Roberts continues his hot hand from outside, look for Sullivan Central to pull away in the second half of this county rivalry.

Science Hill over Sullivan South

The 'Toppers level of play is on another level than the Rebels (taller, faster, more athletic, more fundamentally sound). Expect big nights from Odem, C. Smith, and L. Smith on their way to a lop sided conference victory.

Daniel Boone over David Crockett

Someone has to win, as both teams come into this one at 0-3 in conference play. The difference in this game, I feel, comes from bench play, as the drop off from starter to bench is less problematic for the 'Blazers than it is for the Pioneers. Jones for Daniel Boone has proved to be a solid player and their knack to stay in games allows me to feel like they will finish in this one. Expect Garland for the Pioneers to be in foul trouble, as usual. The play of Pioneers point guard Campbell could spell the difference for David Crockett; however, he has been cold from the field for most of the season. Don't look for that to change tonight. The Trailblazers win this county rivalry going away in the fourth quarter.

I understand you to be a Volunteer fan, and rightfully so. What I do not understand is what problem you have with my post. In previous posts on this thread you have asked others to not live in the past concerning Volunteer's play on the court or the tactics of their coach, asking us to look at the Falcons this year in a new light. You must have mistaken my call for an end in the back and forth about bad officiating and Volunteer's play as a slight to you and the Falcons. It was hardly that. I was asking for a muting of the obvious, especially the past. At some point fighting the same battles becomes futile. At that point you either accept and move on, or fade away.

First, I was a gossping old man, then I was a gossiping 90 year old woman. You can't pick a gender. And I don't know many 90 year old women who can operate a computer, or concern themselves with high school basketball. And why don't I bash SH? Like I said in my previous post, it was one game. Ok, SH I officially bash you. Feel better? SH did it for one game. Yeah every team has had a hard foul. But no team has a reputation for dirty play like Volunteer? You think everyone, me included just randomly picked Volunteer and say let's call them dirty! They get called out on being dirty because they ARE dirty. Have I sat in a practice and heard Whit tell his guys to be dirty? No, but if different Volunteer players are pulling the same stunts under the same coach, then I'm going to make a reasonable estimation that it's coming from the coach. Not to mention, I've heard a couple former players who are actually good guys say Whit's methods are a little sketchy. That's coming from actual players. The man doesn't have the talent to compete for a big 9 title so he uses dirty tactics, cheap shots, and undercuts, plus moving screens (not dirty but still not legal) to try to win, which they still don't do a lot of (winning that is). Like I said, it's not coincidence or a conspiracy that everyone complains about Volunteer's tactics. They've earned it. You reap what you sow. You wanna play like jerks, then you get treated like jerks.

So it was one game for SH & one for Volunteer but we get slammed for it. Go Figure! And you must be a special kind of Rebel to be one of lucky people to be invited to a pratice to hear Coach Whitt tell his boys to be "dirty". I've never heard Whitt having an open practice to invite people to watch. But like I said you must be special. Does the short bus pick you up every morning? Like I said Facts Not Fiction.........

The way I saw it was Edwards came out strong, so Central realized they needed to focus on DB's post players. When they were able to double down and Halverson and Mcconnel were having trouble hitting jumpers they basically did all they could to make the outside shooters for DB beat them. Last night, the shots weren't falling, and DB was hurting. Coach Vaughn had a great gameplan for the Cougars last night.

The way I saw it was that DB showed up at Central with their minds on everything except basketball. Coach Morgan said it was even that way the day before at practice. I really believe they thought with their talent, all they had to do was show up to win. Sometimes a good smack in the face is exactly what is needed. But unfortunately this slip-up could cost them the conference title because I don't see SH losing a conference game to anyone other than the Tribe. I hope this lights a fire under them.

ROLL TRIBE!!!