big 9 basketball

unc1

Come on Big 9 fans-it's tourney time! All the match-ups are set. Who has the best chance at an upset? It doesn't necessarily have to be a 1st round game . You may think it's Dobyns Bennett over Science Hill in the finals. Surely some underdog has fans feeling good about their chances. Let's hear it. Good luck to all. Let's put 4 in the Region semi-finals.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Come on Big 9 fans-it's tourney time! All the match-ups are set. Who has the best chance at an upset? It doesn't necessarily have to be a 1st round game . You may think it's Dobyns Bennett over Science Hill in the finals. Surely some underdog has fans feeling good about their chances. Let's hear it. Good luck to all. Let's put 4 in the Region semi-finals.

I won't say DB will upset the Hill at the Dome, but I bet you it's a lot closer than at the Topper Palace.

And that's a tribute to his versatility.

No doubt Cappy, I was never takinga shot at Justin. There does need to be others surrounding him, or whoever is at the PG position. And you asked earlier to name another PG better..... That's just it, there are not many, if any, true PG's aside from Corey. I can't remember many others but DeShaun was great for TN High. I think Whitcher understands the importance of the PG position. Ask him, Burns, and even Pitts what a Pg is to them. I will bet you that all of them will say the PG is like an assistant coach, or some term close to it. He runs the show like the QB in football. When I played for VanHuss, he didn't have to call plays or set defenses. That was my responsibility and he had faith that I would make the right decision. Many coaches today have taken that area away from the game, because they don't feel confident and want that "power" rush of calling the shots. There are times when you need to take control as a coach, but it is a thing of beauty when you work hard in practice, know your game plan, and the coach watches while the team executes without the coach having to say much. In my years of coaching, the best PG to ever play for me in AAU was.....sorry guys from Science Hill or DB.......Nathan Norman, and he was from Elizabethton. The kid executed a game plan like a NY orchestra playing on broadway.

BTW..... I'm changing my forecast for upsets. I think there will be no upsets this year, and the four top seeds will make the final four of the Big Nine. It's a game of matchups, and the four top seeds have done weill against their opponents. GOD Bless!!!!!

Boys ??“ Middle School

TMSAA State Sectional Tournament (Large Division) @ Pigeon Forge

Friday February 13

Semi-Finals

Science Hill 60, Jefferson 40

Robertsville 49, North Loudon 31

Saturday, February 14

Championship

4:15 p.m., Science Hill vs. Roberstville

TMSAA State Sectional Tournament (Small Division) @ Sevierville

Friday February 13

Semi-Finals

Holston 33, Rogersville City 30

Mary Hughes 44, Lenoir City 34

Saturday February 14

Championship

4:15 pm, Holston vs. Mary Hughes

Boys - D1/AAA

District 1-AAA Tournament to be held February 14-February 24 at Dobyns Bennett High School in Kingsport, TN.

Final Big 9 Conference Standings

#1 Science Hill, 15-1

#2 Dobyns Bennett, 13-3

#3 Tennessee High, 13-3

#4 Sullivan East, 8-8

#5 Sullivan South, 7-9

#6 Sullivan Central, 7-9

#7 Daniel Boone, 6-10

#8 Volunteer, 3-13

#9 David Crockett, 0-16

District 1-AAA Tournament Schedule

Saturday, February 14

Play-In Game

#8 Volunteer 53, #9 David Crockett 50 - OT

Wednesday, February 18

Quarterfinals

6:00 pm, #1 Science Hill vs. #8 Volunteer

7:30 pm, #4 Sullivan East vs. #5 Sullivan South

Thursday, February 19

Quarterfinals

6:00 pm, #2 Dobyns Bennett vs. #7 Daniel Boone

7:30 pm, #3 Tennessee High vs. #6 Sullivan Central

Saturday, February 21

Semi-Finals

6:00 pm, Science Hill/Volunteer Winner vs. Sullivan East/Sullivan South Winner

7:30 pm, Dobyns Bennett/Daniel Boone Winner vs. Tennessee High/Sullivan Central Winner

Tuesday, February 24

Finals

6:00 pm, Consolation: TBD

7:30 pm, Championship: TBD

Final Regular Season Standings

Team, Conference Record (Overall Record)

Science Hill, 15-1 (24-4)

Dobyns Bennett, 13-3 (22-5)

Tennessee High, 13-3 (20-9)

Sullivan East, 8-8 (16-11)

Sullivan South, 7-9 (15-14)

Sullivan Central, 7-9 (16-12)

Daniel Boone, 6-10 (12-15)

Volunteer, 3-13 (8-20)

David Crockett, 0-16 (4-22)

Boys ??“ D2/AAA

District 2-AAA Tournament to be held February 19-February 24 at Jefferson Co. High School in Dandridge, TN.

Final Inter-Mountain Athletic Conference Standings

#1 Morristown East, 9-1

#2 Cocke Co., 7-3

#3 Greeneville, 7-3

#4 Cherokee, 4-6

#5 Morristown West, 3-7

#6 Jefferson Co., 0-10

District 2-AAA Tournament Schedule

Thursday, February 19

Quarterfinals

6:00 pm, #3 Greeneville vs. #6 Jefferson Co.

7:30, #4 Cherokee vs. #5 Morristown West

Saturday, February 21

Semi-Finals

6:00 pm, #1 Morristown East vs. Cherokee/Morristown West Winner

7:30 pm, #2 Cocke Co. vs. Greeneville/Jefferson Co. Winner

Tuesday, February 24

Finals

6:00 pm, Consolation: TBD

7:30 pm, Championship: TBD

Current Inter-Mountain Athletic Conference Standings ??“ As of 2/14

Team, Conference Record (Overall Record)

Morristown East, 9-1 (20-7)

Cocke Co., 7-3 (14-9)

Greeneville, 7-3 (18-11)

Cherokee, 4-6 (10-15)

Morristown West, 3-7 (12-13)

Jefferson Co., 0-10 (5-20)

Remaining IMAC Schedule

Saturday, February 14

North Greene @ Greeneville

Monday, February 16

Morristown East @ Gatlinburg Pittman

West Greene @ Cherokee

tricitiessportsfan Pick'em record: 59-13

Well, ladies and gentlemen, I didn??™t finish as well as I had hoped. My 59-13 Big 9 Conference pick??™em record, approximately 82%, isn??™t bad for a roller coaster conference, however. I doubt anyone enjoyed my picks, or took them with a grain of salt, but they were there for you to take an opinion from which was my intention. ??

What are everyone??™s thoughts on the tournament? I see Stokomo has already reversed his stance on any upset bids. Anyone else have thoughts or predictions?

The reason for my turnaround is that South is the #4 seed and East matches up well with them. Central does not match up well with TN High this year. The top two go without saying. I will say that the best game, besides if DB and the Hill match up again, of the District Tourney will be tonight's WWF match between Crockett and Volunteer. This game will be one to watch, and I'm not joking on this one. These two teams will put it all on the line in tonight's Valentine's Day Death Match. Betta getcha popcorn ready!!!!! /popcorneater.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":popcorneater:" border="0" alt="popcorneater.gif" /> GOD Bless.......

The reason for my turnaround is that South is the #4 seed and East matches up well with them. Central does not match up well with TN High this year. The top two go without saying. I will say that the best game, besides if DB and the Hill match up again, of the District Tourney will be tonight's WWF match between Crockett and Volunteer. This game will be one to watch, and I'm not joking on this one. These two teams will put it all on the line in tonight's Valentine's Day Death Match. Betta getcha popcorn ready!!!!! /popcorneater.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":popcorneater:" border="0" alt="popcorneater.gif" /> GOD Bless.......

If you are looking for upsets in the 1st round ,Stokomo has pin-pointed the two possibilities. I would put South's chances in the 40% range. They know what is at stake and are ready. They are a 5 seed by the way. Also Stokomo has pointed out at great length ,from his personal experience,how critical it is to have a "true" PG and states Central doesn't match up well with Tn. Hi. I agree on both counts. But guess what. Central has "matched-up" with Tn. Hi. in both games without their injured "true" PG. "Downtown" Mickey Brown returns for district play and may make the match up more even. Give the Cougars a 30% chance to pull the upset over a Viking squad looking ahead. Science Hill and Dobyns Bennett will be in the finals, so the only other upset would be an Indian championship on their home floor:hardly an "upset" in spite of the recent thumping they received in the Topper Palace. In fact,I would rate that one a toss up.

Good luck to all! /popcorneater.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":popcorneater:" border="0" alt="popcorneater.gif" />

The reason for my turnaround is that South is the #4 seed and East matches up well with them. Central does not match up well with TN High this year. The top two go without saying. I will say that the best game, besides if DB and the Hill match up again, of the District Tourney will be tonight's WWF match between Crockett and Volunteer. This game will be one to watch, and I'm not joking on this one. These two teams will put it all on the line in tonight's Valentine's Day Death Match. Betta getcha popcorn ready!!!!!

I didn't mean to come off as confrontational, my apologies on that. I agree that the #4 vs. #5 match up offers the only legitimate upset bid. Though the Rebels have been playing better in the second half of the season, I feel the perimeter game of the Patriots gives them the nod. Tyler Moore can knock down the three with the best of them, but so can Deeb, Cross, Gross, etc. for the Patriots. I also agree that Sullivan Central may give Tennessee High fits, but the Vikings have played consistant basketball all season, the Cougars have not, by any stretch of the imagination. For that basic reason, I don't expect a different Cougar club to waltz onto the floor and beat the Vikings. I could be wrong though, I have been before. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

The Death Match ended in Volunteer squeaking out a three point overtime win. Both teams at times were sloppy but they gave their all. Volunteer finally hit their freethrows, going 5-6 in overtime. Cameron Trent probably saved the game and had two BIG blocks with under ten seconds to go. Crockett seemed to be headed for their first victory against a conference foe, jumping out to an eight point lead in the second quarter, but the Falcons erased that lead and held a five point lead of their own at intermission. Crockett made a run in the third and took the lead, and it went back & forth the rest of the way. Turnovers were rampant in the fourth quarter. Next up for the Falcons are the Hilltoppers. GOD Bless & good luck......