big 9 basketball

unc1

Yes sir, Bill is a Dobyns Bennett alum. I was the caller who got him to say it, /biggrin.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" /> . I have Dobyns Bennett seeded second because I am assuming they will beat Daniel Boone. That assumption, however, may not be a good one, as the Tribe squeaked out a win, 75-69 in overtime, at Buck Van Huss earlier in the season. If the impossible did happen, yes they would finish third, at 12-4, behind Science Hill at 15-1 or 14-2 and Tennessee High at 13-3. With a win, however, the Indians will move into a 13-3 tie for second with Tennessee High, in which Dobyns Bennett holds the head to head tiebreaker, sweeping the Vikings in the regular season. To clarify, a Dobyns Bennett win means a #2 seed, a Dobyns Bennett loss means a #3 seed. crawdad, are you traveling to Gray tonight to watch my Indians, /wink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" /> ?

I'm a Souther and more interested in whether the Rebels can lock up a 5 seed where they may have a chance to upset East and get into Region play. That would be big for a program that had finished 8th or 9th the last 2 years. I haven't decided if I will make the trip to Jonesborough or not. Tom Taylor does a pretty good job on the radio! /rolleyes.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" />

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Isn't he a D-B alumnus? I would think it reasonable for him to express support for his alma mater.

In addition TCSF,I also would think D-B heavily favored to beat Boone,but I believe you already have them seeded 2nd for the tourney. If the impossible happened,could they not finish 3rd? They are at Boone after a deflating loss for the conference championship. Did they blowout Boone earlier in the season?

No. If I remember right, they beat Boone in overtime at their place. They are at Boone tonight. Boone has taken them and Tn. High to overtime and TN High beat them the second time by 2.

Boone could throw a kink in everything by playing big tonight.

No. If I remember right, they beat Boone in overtime at their place. They are at Boone tonight. Boone has taken them and Tn. High to overtime and TN High beat them the second time by 2.

Boone could throw a kink in everything by playing big tonight.

As I've stated before on here, beware of the Blazers. They look like the team most likely to to pull the shocker headed to touney time.

First, Cutlip nor Morgan have been at their current school for the 14 years so that argument is invalid.

Second, I am not making excuses in regard to DB "being left with Edwards" or losing Williams. I was simply saying that when you look at what they lost from last year, nobody with any sense would claim this team was better than last years.

Third, Sylvester is a natural 2-guard, not a point guard. What you aren't mentioning that was in the post earlier is that he also had 7 turnovers to go along with those 7 steals. Sylvester is a great player and competitor and always seems to step up against the Hill, however he is not a true point guard.

Fourth, if you are happy being the 3rd best team in the conference consistently, I don't know what to tell you.

Sylvester played from the 1, 2, and 3, positions coming up threw the ranks (I think he even sold popcorn a Robinson at halftime) /biggrin.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" /> ??¦and exactly what is a ???true point guard???. With the (timely) arrival of Williams last year and Adams this year CMO has called on Justin to constantly change his role. Last year he unselfishly MOVED to the 2 to accommodate Williams running the point, and this year he has to get the ball down the court for the Indians, so Adams is now getting his shots. There is only one PG in the entire conference that I would pick at that position over Sylvester??¦if there is another one I would like to know. Justin could and probably would start at PG on 98% of the teams in this region, so stop using that as an excuse. You Kingsportians tend to forget that just because they don??™t split us up like they do in football??¦you still have an overwhelmingly larger talent pole. If you truly take that into consideration, DB and Science Hill SHOULD and many times are in a class of their own in NET. So yes I??™ll take third place going into the District tournament all day and night long. Just know that if you come half steppin and take the Vikings lightly, they will beat you??¦and that includes DB. After all??¦we are the defending District 1 Champions this year, and I do believe we had to go through the Tee Pee and over the Hill to get there??¦just incase you forgot. /wink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

anytime your PG has 7 turnovers, most chances are that you will not win the game. Sylvester is a true SG, but the year has almost ended and there has been ample time to adjust, given the talent level this kid posesses. There is no team chemistry with the Tribe this year. I also think, looking back at last year, that last year's team was deeper and had a PG in Throp. A team with the caliber players as the Indians have still need a "true" PG to mesh together and "control" tempo. You may be able to get away with it against most teams, especially around here, but without a PG, against teams equal to the playing level, the team missing a PG will, more-than-not, lose. Maybe the Tribe can get hot and rectify their situation, because now everyone has the same record and a new season is upon us after tomorrow. GOD Bless...... /cool.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="B)" border="0" alt="cool.gif" />

Seven turnovers is obviously allot but it??™s not excessive for a PG (a player that handles the ball on EVERY position). I didn??™t see the game but 7 turnovers by the PG shouldn??™t be the key factor in a win or loss of a game unless he was just throwing the other team ally opps (IMO). A PG many times gets credited for the errors of his team mates. For instance??¦if he throws a great no look pass and it hits the post player in the face and the other team gets it??¦the PG gets the turnover. Your PG will always more than likely lead the team in turnovers??¦that??™s part of the position. Any coach at this level would know this to be true. Stoke I??™m surprised at your comments on this. /huh.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":huh:" border="0" alt="huh.gif" />

The bottom line with this years Indians is??¦.

Now somebody make sure you write this down and give it directly to CMO, and tell him that he can just take me out to eat this time instead of the normal fee. /laugh.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

This year??™s team is playing against themselves. They are having a game inside of the game. They are all jockeying for position to see who??™s going to be high point man or who??™s going to get the ink this time. These kids are under pressure from home to perform because by them all being seniors and all being talented, they are all trying to get looks from the next level. I notice this because we dealt with the same thing in the Viking camp this year but Coach Witcher was somehow able to get everyone??™s role across to them and things are much better now. But make no mistake??¦these kids get the ???shoot the ball son??? speech before and after each game (I have a new short version of this if anyone is interested) /blush.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blush:" border="0" alt="blush.gif" /> . If CMO concretes everyone??™s role to the team you will see a big difference.

Sylvester played from the 1, 2, and 3, positions coming up threw the ranks (I think he even sold popcorn a Robinson at halftime) /biggrin.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" /> ??¦and exactly what is a ???true point guard???. With the (timely) arrival of Williams last year and Adams this year CMO has called on Justin to constantly change his role. Last year he unselfishly MOVED to the 2 to accommodate Williams running the point, and this year he has to get the ball down the court for the Indians, so Adams is now getting his shots. There is only one PG in the entire conference that I would pick at that position over Sylvester??¦if there is another one I would like to know. Justin could and probably would start at PG on 98% of the teams in this region, so stop using that as an excuse. You Kingsportians tend to forget that just because they don??™t split us up like they do in football??¦you still have an overwhelmingly larger talent pole. If you truly take that into consideration, DB and Science Hill SHOULD and many times are in a class of their own in NET. So yes I??™ll take third place going into the District tournament all day and night long. Just know that if you come half steppin and take the Vikings lightly, they will beat you??¦and that includes DB. After all??¦we are the defending District 1 Champions this year, and I do believe we had to go through the Tee Pee and over the Hill to get there??¦just incase you forgot. /wink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

Ditto Cap. I saw Justin pay a lot of ball since he was a 4th grader on up and he has always been a very capable PG. The PG has 4 other players on the floor too and if they are not athletic enough to help him out, turnovers will occur. I don't know of any PG that dribbles the floor repeatedly against the pressure the Hill applies. Lay some of the blame on his team-mates.

As far as enrollment figures and talent pools go , you never see D-B or Science Hill fans acknowledge what an advantage they have. In fairness if I were a supporter of either I wouldn't bring it up either. That certainly doesn't mean it doesn't exist. Science Hill has about a few hundred more student athletes to choose from than D-B. Both have several hundred more Than East,Central or South. Even Boone,Crockett, and Volunteer are several hundred larger than the Sullivan Co. schools. So yea, why shouldn't we expect Science Hill, D-B, and Tn Hi to lead the pack. Who else are they going to play. They don't want to travel to Knoxville for league games and I don't blame them.

East will be in a new conference next year I guess due to re-classification, Maybe South and Central will split North's athletes as suggested be the KTN today. Then the numbers would be a little more even until Kingsport engulfs more of the county like a glory-hungry monster amoeba. /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

At Science Hill the total enrollment figures include the 8th graders, so actually DB has more 9 thru 12 students.

Actually the TSSAA enrollment figures used for re-classification are based on grades 9 thru 12. These figures show Dobyns-Bennett 1942, Science Hill 2158, and Sullivan South 1094. Look it up. /flower.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":flower:" border="0" alt="flower.gif" />

Ditto Cap. I saw Justin pay a lot of ball since he was a 4th grader on up and he has always been a very capable PG. The PG has 4 other players on the floor too and if they are not athletic enough to help him out, turnovers will occur. I don't know of any PG that dribbles the floor repeatedly against the pressure the Hill applies. Lay some of the blame on his team-mates.

As far as enrollment figures and talent pools go , you never see D-B or Science Hill fans acknowledge what an advantage they have. In fairness if I were a supporter of either I wouldn't bring it up either.

Thanks Crawdad...I thought I was on my on island with the Sylvester thing. These guys are quick to play the blame game but with my big mouth I be dang if I let a player that has given so much to the entertainment of us sports buff's for several years now (in any sport he choose to play), be unfairly criticized. I'm still waiting on these guys that said "he's not a true PG" to name someone better.

Is it maybe remotely possible we could hear a DB fan say "they were just better than we were that night."? /popcorneater.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":popcorneater:" border="0" alt="popcorneater.gif" />

Thanks Crawdad...I thought I was on my on island with the Sylvester thing. These guys are quick to play the blame game but with my big mouth I be dang if I let a player that has given so much to the entertainment of us sports buff's for several years now (in any sport he choose to play), be unfairly criticized. I'm still waiting on these guys that said "he's not a true PG" to name someone better.

Is it maybe remotely possible we could hear a DB fan say "they were just better than we were that night."? /popcorneater.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":popcorneater:" border="0" alt="popcorneater.gif" />

Science Hill was better than my Indians on Tuesday night, start to finish. There are reasons why the outcome turned out the way it did. No excuses really, the 'Toppers were simply better than the Indians on Tuesday.