big 9 basketball

unc1

Thanks Crawdad...I thought I was on my on island with the Sylvester thing. These guys are quick to play the blame game but with my big mouth I be dang if I let a player that has given so much to the entertainment of us sports buff's for several years now (in any sport he choose to play), be unfairly criticized. I'm still waiting on these guys that said "he's not a true PG" to name someone better.

Is it maybe remotely possible we could hear a DB fan say "they were just better than we were that night."? /popcorneater.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":popcorneater:" border="0" alt="popcorneater.gif" />

Cap, I am not making excuses for DB losing. Science Hill was the better team that night, and the better team on DB's court in January. DB was the better team in the Arby's. There will be other meetings, so we can have this same conversation shortly.

You say that Sylvester has come up through the ranks at times playing point guard and noone will disagree with that, however point guard in varsity high school ball is much different than point guard on an 11 year old team traveling around the Tri-Cities. I am not criticising Justin at all, just simply stating that he is not a TRUE point guard. He is MUCH better on the wing, as evidence by you pointing out a couple pages back that he was All-Region, All-conference, District MVP/Region MVP (whichever one it was), while earning ALL of those from the wing because he had a TRUE point guard in Jamel Williams to get him the ball in the right spots and he was able to create for himself within the framework of Morgan's offense, which is not easy to do unless you are a post player. He is the best all-around perimeter player that the Indians have, but he still is not a TRUE point guard. Problem with this DB team is that they don't have one.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cap, I am not making excuses for DB losing. Science Hill was the better team that night, and the better team on DB's court in January. DB was the better team in the Arby's. There will be other meetings, so we can have this same conversation shortly.

You say that Sylvester has come up through the ranks at times playing point guard and noone will disagree with that, however point guard in varsity high school ball is much different than point guard on an 11 year old team traveling around the Tri-Cities. I am not criticising Justin at all, just simply stating that he is not a TRUE point guard. He is MUCH better on the wing, as evidence by you pointing out a couple pages back that he was All-Region, All-conference, District MVP/Region MVP (whichever one it was), while earning ALL of those from the wing because he had a TRUE point guard in Jamel Williams to get him the ball in the right spots and he was able to create for himself within the framework of Morgan's offense, which is not easy to do unless you are a post player. He is the best all-around perimeter player that the Indians have, but he still is not a TRUE point guard. Problem with this DB team is that they don't have one.

I think I understand your point that D-B would be a better team if Justin's skills could be utilized at wing Vs. at PG. He had the luxury of playing with Throp as a soph. and Jamel as a Jr. who were definitely "true PGs". It's difficult for a PG to protect the ball, create assists, and contribute significant points. In fairness to Cap though, I agree that Justin is certainly one of the top three PGs in the conference, "true PG'" or not.

Where are all of D-Bs PGs? Two feeder schools with good basketball programs should produce 3 years x 2 PGs for the varsity program. What happened to leave you with no true PGs? Nick Jones has started at PG for Boone for 3years, Bailey Dick at South for 3 years with 1more to go, Aaron Bennett for Volunteer for 4years, Corey Young for 3 years at Tn Hi ? Maybe I'm off a little on these others but I think you get the point. What happened to put the program at such a disadvantage against Science Hill?

Score Updates!

Sullivan East - 58

Science Hill - 76

Final.

Josh Odem lead the 'Toppers with 31 points.

Dobyns Bennett - 78

Daniel Boone - 49

Final.

Sullivan South - 74

David Crockett - 50

Final.

Volunteer @

Sullivan Central

Awaiting Final.

i watch the sh game tonight agaist east. it was agreat game the 1st half. josh is no dought in my mind the best player in the league. he scores when he wants to and dishes out passing without any problem. but if any refs out there could correct me on something i would appreciateit. has the rule about going out of bounds changed about calling timeout while your in the air. this happened whithout any queston. also they called decent game the 1st half, but about 2 minutes into the 3rd east up by 4, everythng changed, a total of 3 fouls in 2 quarters by sh, it was unbeleviable. the out comoe would have still been a sh win but with foul trouble who know!! just another game of 3 old zebras tring to make be best team win instead of letting the players decide. also don't get me wrong i have called several games and it isn't as easy as it looks, but if you put on the strips take the heat!!! congrat to sh!!

Seven turnovers is obviously allot but it??™s not excessive for a PG (a player that handles the ball on EVERY position). I didn??™t see the game but 7 turnovers by the PG shouldn??™t be the key factor in a win or loss of a game unless he was just throwing the other team ally opps (IMO). A PG many times gets credited for the errors of his team mates. For instance??¦if he throws a great no look pass and it hits the post player in the face and the other team gets it??¦the PG gets the turnover. Your PG will always more than likely lead the team in turnovers??¦that??™s part of the position. Any coach at this level would know this to be true. Stoke I??™m surprised at your comments on this. /huh.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":huh:" border="0" alt="huh.gif" />

You are talking to a "true point guard" and there is nothing bad against Sylvester on this issue. I think he has done the best job he could at that position. But.....he is not at his natural position. Sylvester can create for himself, but has issues creating for others. What I look for in a PG is his ability to control tempo. Corey is great at establishing Tn High's tempo every game. That's why they are in every game they play. The PG position is the most important one on the floor. You have nicknames like Floor General, Sergeant, and the Colonial to name a few. Yes the PG will lead the team in turnovers, but 7 is too high a number. I preach that more than 10 turnovers is too much. Volunteer avgs around 20 per game. If you do the math, then that is 20 less shots. Let's say that you hit 50% from the field. That would leave ten made shots, and a 20 point difference. Not many teams will lose by more than 20 points. The most important aspect of the PG position is his assist-to-turnover ratio. You want a PG to have a 2-1 ration. That would mean Sylvester would have to dished out 14 assists in that game. In my hay-day, I had a career 4-to-1 assist-to-turnover ratio (avg 8AST & 2TO per game). So you shouldn't be so surprised at my comments, as I think like a "true point guard."

You are talking to a "true point guard" and there is nothing bad against Sylvester on this issue. I think he has done the best job he could at that position. But.....he is not at his natural position. Sylvester can create for himself, but has issues creating for others. What I look for in a PG is his ability to control tempo. Corey is great at establishing Tn High's tempo every game. That's why they are in every game they play. The PG position is the most important one on the floor. You have nicknames like Floor General, Sergeant, and the Colonial to name a few. Yes the PG will lead the team in turnovers, but 7 is too high a number. I preach that more than 10 turnovers is too much. Volunteer avgs around 20 per game. If you do the math, then that is 20 less shots. Let's say that you hit 50% from the field. That would leave ten made shots, and a 20 point difference. Not many teams will lose by more than 20 points. The most important aspect of the PG position is his assist-to-turnover ratio. You want a PG to have a 2-1 ration. That would mean Sylvester would have to dished out 14 assists in that game. In my hay-day, I had a career 4-to-1 assist-to-turnover ratio (avg 8AST & 2TO per game). So you shouldn't be so surprised at my comments, as I think like a "true point guard."

very interesting Stokes /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

Is Odem the frontrunner for District I MVP

Science Hill was better than my Indians on Tuesday night, start to finish. There are reasons why the outcome turned out the way it did. No excuses really, the 'Toppers were simply better than the Indians on Tuesday.

Thank you TCF /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" /> ...now on to part four of this saga , and I will get to see this one. I can't wait! /popcorneater.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":popcorneater:" border="0" alt="popcorneater.gif" />

Great commentary concerning Sylvester guys /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" /> ...I can't disagree with any of you!! All three of you made your point while still giving credit to Justin for doing what he does. But you all have to agree that the PG position is the best (and IMO only) fit for Justin given the talented role players that CMO has to work with this year. And that's a tribute to his versatility.

Great commentary concerning Sylvester guys /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" /> ...I can't disagree with any of you!! All three of you made your point while still giving credit to Justin for doing what he does. But you all have to agree that the PG position is the best (and IMO only) fit for Justin given the talented role players that CMO has to work with this year. And that's a tribute to his versatility.

I agree with you that Morgan has no better option than Sylvester on the point. However, I take a little issue to the "talented role players" statement, only for the fact that if Halvorsen or McConnell were on most of the other teams in the conference they could be stars averaging close to 20 a game. Fact is, Morgan's entire offense is designed to get the ball inside and doesn't leave very much freedom to the perimeter players. Since you are a TN High guy, take your team for example. I think about 5-7 years ago, TN High had a player by the name of Buchannon? I believe that was his name, correct me if I'm wrong, but he was an all-conference wing player for Dale Burns. Most of TN High's offense ran through him one way or another that year because they would send him off of screens and let him shoot the ball coming off or give it off to the 2nd or 3rd option on the play. I think Halvorsen and McConnell shoot the ball well enough to thrive in a system where some plays would be run specifically for them. I believe Todd is shooting between 30%-35% from downtown this year, and Dustin is over 40%.

This is not a knock on Morgan THIS year at least, because he has 2 of the best, if not the 2 best post players down low so common sense says get the ball inside. I do think that if you put McConnell or Halvorsen on, say Sullivan East for example, Dyer runs plays specifically for them and they could get up 15 or 20 shots a game, and with their ability, be close to 20 ppg average. What do you all think?

hands down your winner.... /cool.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="B)" border="0" alt="cool.gif" />

Yea...I agree. And not that he needed it but, his team sealed the deal by winning the conference title. Who will be on the conference first team with him will be the big task, because IMO it COULD legitimately be held down by just the players off the top three teams.

I agree with you that Morgan has no better option than Sylvester on the point. However, I take a little issue to the "talented role players" statement, only for the fact that if Halvorsen or McConnell were on most of the other teams in the conference they could be stars averaging close to 20 a game. Fact is, Morgan's entire offense is designed to get the ball inside and doesn't leave very much freedom to the perimeter players. Since you are a TN High guy, take your team for example. I think about 5-7 years ago, TN High had a player by the name of Buchannon? I believe that was his name, correct me if I'm wrong, but he was an all-conference wing player for Dale Burns. Most of TN High's offense ran through him one way or another that year because they would send him off of screens and let him shoot the ball coming off or give it off to the 2nd or 3rd option on the play. I think Halvorsen and McConnell shoot the ball well enough to thrive in a system where some plays would be run specifically for them. I believe Todd is shooting between 30%-35% from downtown this year, and Dustin is over 40%.

This is not a knock on Morgan THIS year at least, because he has 2 of the best, if not the 2 best post players down low so common sense says get the ball inside. I do think that if you put McConnell or Halvorsen on, say Sullivan East for example, Dyer runs plays specifically for them and they could get up 15 or 20 shots a game, and with their ability, be close to 20 ppg average. What do you all think?

I totally agree with you, but I have to correct you in that I whole heartedly included Halvorsen and McConnell in that net of "talented role players". In fact I consider McConnell to be the hands down best spot up shooter in the league. How could I not...given his performance against the Vikings in their last game.