Week 8: 2-4 (2-1) Gordonsville @ 1-5 (1-2) Monterey

panther14

The Gordonsville Tigers travel up the I-40 "East" Monterey Mountain this Friday night to take on the Monterey Wildcats @ Medley Field. Currently the visitors are 2-4 overall, and 2-1 in 1A Region 4 Play. The hosts are at 1-5 overall, with a 1-2 region mark. Both teams will be hungry for a win based on last weeks' game results. The Tigers have been "blanked" three times this year, including last Friday while hosting the Yellow Jackets of Trousdale County, 0-35. On the flip side, the Wildcats traveled to "Friendship" Christian, and didn't really offer much of a difference either 7-34.

The Tigers have scored 93 points while giving up 191 this season, a little under the dreaded 1:2 ratio. The Wildcats have scored 88 points while giving up 178, a little over the dreaded 1:2 ratio. The Tigers opponents records are 22-16, while the Wildcats are 26-10.

With all that being said, "on paper" the visitors may have a long bus ride going home next Friday night. However, it is getting to that point in the season where temperature becomes a factor, and injuries can create some interesting match-ups. So, in this much anticipated Region 4 head-slapper, to the victor go the spoils. Also, currently, the Tigers are third, and the Wildcats are tied with three others for forth place in region play.

Well, let's start the discussion boys, (and girls), Which team wants it more and will this be the game that decides the "leader" of the "second" tier in 1A Region 4?

I for one am betting on the Wildcats to, if you really want to call it this, UPSET the Gordonsville Tigers @ Medley Field. I really think that the boys will rally late and pull out the victory. Also, Offensive Co-ordinator John Looper will open up the playbook, and try some things this week that the Region has not seen before, while sticking to the base offense. All the while, Coach Billy Heady and company will adjust the Defense to the ground game of the Tigers.

Gordonsville Tigers 16

Monterey Wildcats 22

After this week, Co-third place in Class 1A Region 4: Monterey and Gordonsville.

Commense au' Postings!!!!!

EDIT: Congrats to new head Coach Kyle Childress, Assistant Coach Joey Hoover, and Offensive Co-ordinator Jeff Heiderich on a good "1st" season at Burks Middle School in Monterey. The team went 3-5 overall, but played GREAT each game, congrats to the 8th graders on winning their "last game" in a Panther uniform at home against Cannon County Jr. High.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

year after year Gordonsville is a powerhouse. this is a rare down year around Tigertown. this my opinion on the state of GHS football, our region, and the rest 1A football. this is only my opinion and is not intended to ruffle any feathers. Gordonsville has lost four games to very good programs. we lost to a very good 3A team that will do well in the playoffs. we lost to two 2A top 10 teams. we also lost to the #2 team in the 1A state. four quality defeats by strong programs. i will continue by saying you cant add up scores and come up with a formula to the out come of a game. we have played stiff competition so far and won the games we should and lost the ones we should. your game winning formula is no good until you play the teams we play game after game year after year. dont forget it was only last year we won our tough region. i understand we are young this year and are no real threat to boot people out of the playoffs as usual. but remember ponder on this , we may be down but not out. think about what that means to you.on to another subject. tc whipped up on us something fierce this weekend. my opinion of them is they got a lockdown D. their O depends upon rb #5. take him out of the mix the rest really only did minimal damage. without Dakota it would have been a good game. oh yah, they block like a brick wall. impresive!!!! but Dakota played and it was a beating. on to friendship . its tough without rickaway aint it. in the very near future we have lots of young kids that will develop into good players. our jr.high has lost only one game in three seasons. lots their to look forward to. we will soon be back to the top like things should be. with everything being said next friday night should be a goog game. i know your all are excieded about this could be the year to beat GHS. yes, we will bring a very young team to the top of monterey mountain next week but the they will bring a long standing tadition of winning with them. my advice to you is to take full advantage of our youth and inexpierence if not you will your usual pounding into the field turf. bring your a game we will bring our tradition. with all this being said i wish both teams a game of sportsmanship and will pray to God for everyones saftey.

Gville is down this year, further than they've been since Brad Cowan was the head coach, that's been a while, over 15 years. Gville is young but they have some talent and a very good coaching staff. The coaches get all these kids have.

Gville needs two wins to get into the playoffs barring any upsets over TC or FC. They'll get one Friday in a close game.

Monterey has lost to York(2A)Upperman(2A) Trousdale(#2) Friendship(#4) and Harriman. Five pretty good teams. Might could have won one of those games. I think Monterey is capable of winning against Gordonsville if these tough losses haven't taken too much out of them.

Monterey in a close one!!!!!

Go Cats!!!

Monterey has lost to York(2A)Upperman(2A) Trousdale(#2) Friendship(#4) and Harriman. Five pretty good teams. Might could have won one of those games. I think Monterey is capable of winning against Gordonsville if these tough losses haven't taken too much out of them.

Monterey in a close one!!!!!

Go Cats!!!

Gville has lost to similar competition.

3A Cheatham Co., 2A Smith Co., 2A Westmoreland, and Trousdale.

3 out of the 4 have been state ranked in their respective classes this season.

It's not going to be easy for Gville to go up there and win, but they can do it.

This is the youngest team they've had since 1997 when they only had two seniors.

That is basically what they have now. I think Gville will win in a close, hard-fought battle.

Gville has lost to similar competition.

3A Cheatham Co., 2A Smith Co., 2A Westmoreland, and Trousdale.

3 out of the 4 have been state ranked in their respective classes this season.

It's not going to be easy for Gville to go up there and win, but they can do it.

This is the youngest team they've had since 1997 when they only had two seniors.

That is basically what they have now. I think Gville will win in a close, hard-fought battle.

Croz, I agree. Although the Tigers were a bit out matched vs the Jackets Fri. nite, Monterey is a different matter.

If G'ville plays mistake free ball, I think they'll pull this off in a close one.

Hope Josh is going to be ok.

GO TIGERS!!!

While Coach Marshall and his boys haven't had exactly the kind of season a team wants, it's not been all bad. I hope the players have learned that if they want to win games, Coach Marshall is the man that can get them there.

A player told me over the weekend that he was in the BEST shape he's EVER been in and had lost 60 pounds this year, he's by no means a small fella even now. They practice regardless the weather, they're toughening up, becoming a real team.

From what I understand Coach is slowly getting to know the Jr High team as well. Great prospects there for him, not only physically but mentally.

Football is not just a game, it's a teaching tool as well, sportsmanship, being part of a group of individuals working towards a common goal(also known as being a team) and to try their hardest. Not all coaches can get these ideals across, but the good ones can and do.

Mark Medley did Gordonsville High School a huge favor when Ron "Moose" Marshall was brought home. Thank you Mr. Medley!!

Oh, and .. it's gonna be TIGERS 18 .. wildcats 10 .. GO BLLUE!!!!! /roflolk.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflolk:" border="0" alt="roflolk.gif" />

Good Luck to the Jr High Tigers tonight against Hartsville !! /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />