I saw the best team I have ever seen.

Galilee

There is a team here in Pittsburgh that is the best high school team I have ever seen. Gateway High School in Monroeville, PA, a Pittsburgh suburb, is loaded with talent. Prior to this team the best teams I have seen were the Melrose teams in the 90's and the South Panola team with Dewayne Rudd and Deshea Townsend. They would defeat both those teams. Maryville could stay close for a half but not much longer. They have at least 15-20 high D-1 players. They have 2 players Dorian Bell an Ohio State committ and Corey Brown undecided selected to play in the Army All American game. That leads to this question: Why is TN football lacking in quality?

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Whatever you're smoking, give me just a half of one. Thereis no school in history with 15-20 D1 prospects, and it sure won't be in Pittsburg when it happens.

Ole Dad

There is a team here in Pittsburgh that is the best high school team I have ever seen. Gateway High School in Monroeville, PA, a Pittsburgh suburb, is loaded with talent. Prior to this team the best teams I have seen were the Melrose teams in the 90's and the South Panola team with Dewayne Rudd and Deshea Townsend. They would defeat both those teams. Maryville could stay close for a half but not much longer. They have at least 15-20 high D-1 players. They have 2 players Dorian Bell an Ohio State committ and Corey Brown undecided selected to play in the Army All American game. That leads to this question: Why is TN football lacking in quality?

I sat with the coaching staff,s from Ohio State, Pitt, and Rutgers. The coach from OSU made the statement and the others agreed. They have a Soph class that eceryone is drooling over.

Ohio State is a joke /roflolk.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflolk:" border="0" alt="roflolk.gif" /> They might be drooling in the Big 10 but not in the SEC.

Ohio State is a joke /roflolk.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflolk:" border="0" alt="roflolk.gif" /> They might be drooling in the Big 10 but not in the SEC.

I think I'd take that any day over the football mess at the University of Tennessee, the "class" of the SEC.

Tennessee doesn't have as much talent as a lot of states like Texas,California,Pennsylvania,Florida,Ohio or Georgia. Tennessee doesn't have as good of coaching as a lot of other states. I remember watching Byrnes kill MBA three years ago. Byrnes played the game at a level I never seen. I had seen some great football teams also.

Dear Lord, Here we go again!!!!!

Tennessee doesn't have as much talent as a lot of states like Texas,California,Pennsylvania,Florida,Ohio or Georgia. Tennessee doesn't have as good of coaching as a lot of other states. I remember watching Byrnes kill MBA three years ago. Byrnes played the game at a level I never seen. I had seen some great football teams also.

I agree wholeheartedly. Tennessee just doesn't live and breath high school football like some other states. This has even begun to hurt UTK's recruiting pool because they aren't having near as much success getting star recruits to leave their home state to come to UTK and Tennessee's pool of SEC level players isn't as deep. Coaching is a HUGE thing that Tennessee high school football is lacking in compared to other states. I am hoping things will eventually change, but I am not certain that they will in the immediate future.

I have never seen why this is so dang hard for people to understand. Think of the states with the best high school football (Texas, California, Florida, Ohio, Pennsylvania for example), these states have a MUCH LARGER POPULATION than Tennessee. I mean all those states have over 10 million people in them, Tennessee has 6 million. The more people you have, the more naturally gifted athletes you will have, therefore some teams will just be blessed with a ton of great football players. Most these states have a 6A division, which Tennessee is getting, but just think how big those schools must be. I still don't believe that one team could possibly have 20 D1 players though.

Florida has 20,000,000 residents. Our high school has 3,000 kids. Some in Miami and Orlando have 5,000. If someone wants to prove that a team has 20 D1 prospects I am all ears, but first show me a high school, any school, that sent 20 kids from one team to D1 in 3 years. I would just like to know the team and the names of the kids cause I would be amazed to see it. Maybe it happens, but I find that hard to believe.

Ole Dad

I have never seen why this is so dang hard for people to understand. Think of the states with the best high school football (Texas, California, Florida, Ohio, Pennsylvania for example), these states have a MUCH LARGER POPULATION than Tennessee. I mean all those states have over 10 million people in them, Tennessee has 6 million. The more people you have, the more naturally gifted athletes you will have, therefore some teams will just be blessed with a ton of great football players. Most these states have a 6A division, which Tennessee is getting, but just think how big those schools must be. I still don't believe that one team could possibly have 20 D1 players though.

I agree with that....to a point. Oklahoma, Louisiana, Mississippi, Nebraska, Alabama, etc. could all argue to have equal or better high school football than Tennessee. Basically, population is a factor, but not the entire reason.

BTW, doesn't "Friday Night Lights" talk about the 1988 Dallas-Carter team having 15-17 or so players rumored to have signed Division 1 letters of intent. That would be the closest I have ever heard of, but I never did hear if there was any validity to it.