I saw the best team I have ever seen.

Galilee

I agree with that....to a point. Oklahoma, Louisiana, Mississippi, Nebraska, Alabama, etc. could all argue to have equal or better high school football than Tennessee. Basically, population is a factor, but not the entire reason.

I have to agree. Although Illinois has a much larger population than Tennessee, high school football is not really big there statewide. Believe it or not, another state with some good high school football is Indiana. Does anyone know if Michigan has good high school football?

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ohio State is a joke /roflolk.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflolk:" border="0" alt="roflolk.gif" /> They might be drooling in the Big 10 but not in the SEC.

Not a very funny joke when you consider Ohio State has put more players, more 1st round draft picks in the NFL than every school in the SEC. FINISHING in the top 5 of the AP Poll 6 out of the last 10 years. AP poll archives Something NO school in the SEC can say. And don't give me that strength of schedule garbage....the SEC, up until 3 years ago has been a mediocre conference as a whole, and is the least traveled conference in the nation by far when your talking ooc games. In fact, the BOTTOM 10 looks like a who's who of the SEC, lol....least traveled conferences, teams I find it laughable that so many ignorant people judge a program as a whole based on 2 NC games, when they can't tell you squat about where the program ranks among the best in so many facets of college football. Not entirely your fault though, as a lot of it is media driven. Look at Oklahoma in the last two NC games. You never heard anyone saying they don't belong in the BCS picture. Both are still one of the top 5 programs of all time.

Not a very funny joke when you consider Ohio State has put more players, more 1st round draft picks in the NFL than every school in the SEC. FINISHING in the top 5 of the AP Poll 6 out of the last 10 years. AP poll archives Something NO school in the SEC can say. And don't give me that strength of schedule garbage....the SEC, up until 3 years ago has been a mediocre conference as a whole, and is the least traveled conference in the nation by far when your talking ooc games. In fact, the BOTTOM 10 looks like a who's who of the SEC, lol....least traveled conferences, teams I find it laughable that so many ignorant people judge a program as a whole based on 2 NC games, when they can't tell you squat about where the program ranks among the best in so many facets of college football. Not entirely your fault though, as a lot of it is media driven. Look at Oklahoma in the last two NC games. You never heard anyone saying they don't belong in the BCS picture. Both are still one of the top 5 programs of all time.

Now, let's not make this into a topic on college football. However, I'll say this and leave it:

Ohio State is a fine program....they just haven't been able to beat the SEC. The SEC has been the best conference in college football for many years now, but over the past 3 years specifically, they have been so dominant that other conferences (and the national media with a Big 11 and Pac-10 bias) can't deny them superiority anymore, and those that do appear foolish.

The bashing of the SEC's out of conference scheduling is pure hypocrisy by Big 11 and Pac-10 schools. Also, the SEC has many annual rivalries with out of conference teams (Florida-FSU, GT-UGA, USC-Clemson, UK-Louisville, and now VU-WF) Also, you have Arkansas playing teams like Texas-Austin, and Southern Cal recently. UTK playing Cal and UCLA recently (have Oklahoma scheduled in a few years too). Bama playing Clemson and FSU recently. Just because SEC teams play 3-4 top 25 teams WITHIN their conference EVERY year, doesn't mean they don't schedule other BCS conference teams. The difference is they don't HAVE to in order to "beef up" their strength of schedule.

In fact, if you were to take away the SEC, ACC, and Big 12 (say they go have a 3 conference postseason tournament for instance).....college football would left with 5 progams (Ohio State, Michigan, Penn State, Notre Dame, and Southern Cal) that have been traditionally strong through the years. Teams, like Wisconsin, Purdue, Michigan State, Louisville, West Virginia, Illinois, Oregon, UCLA, etc. have been terribly inconsistent and have never been able to sustain success long term. Hopefully, they will begin to for the sake of those conferences.

There is a team here in Pittsburgh that is the best high school team I have ever seen. Gateway High School in Monroeville, PA, a Pittsburgh suburb, is loaded with talent. Prior to this team the best teams I have seen were the Melrose teams in the 90's and the South Panola team with Dewayne Rudd and Deshea Townsend. They would defeat both those teams. Maryville could stay close for a half but not much longer. They have at least 15-20 high D-1 players. They have 2 players Dorian Bell an Ohio State committ and Corey Brown undecided selected to play in the Army All American game. That leads to this question: Why is TN football lacking in quality?

They actually have only 9 players that are either committed or being recruited. '08 recruiting update. Last year had 10 players being recruited. Doesn't always translate into being better than one team or another. Played Youngstown(OH) Cardinal Mooney last year in the Herbie, and got manhandled 27-6. Mooney vs Gateway Both teams ended up losing in their State's title game. I don't believe TN is lacking in quality, as there are a lot of athletes in the state. It's a combination of several things: Quantity(population). Although I think the population thing is a little overrated, unless you live in Rhode Island. the next two are the most important in my opinion. Coaching. The number of programs that reload, and for the most part, seeing the same names making deep runs in the playoffs every year is relatively small, which is due to two things: the number of good coaches, and the way your playoffs are set up, but that's a whole other story: Community. Not nearly the support/involvement/attendance AS A WHOLE when compared to TX, OH and Pa. It's just a year round way of life in those states. Translates into some of those athletes making other sports their first priority.

I don't believe TN is lacking in quality, as there are a lot of athletes in the state. It's a combination of several things: Quantity(population). Although I think the population thing is a little overrated, unless you live in Rhode Island. the next two are the most important in my opinion. Coaching. The number of programs that reload, and for the most part, seeing the same names making deep runs in the playoffs every year is relatively small, which is due to two things: the number of good coaches, and the way your playoffs are set up, but that's a whole other story: Community. Not nearly the support/involvement/attendance AS A WHOLE when compared to TX, OH and Pa. It's just a year round way of life in those states. Translates into some of those athletes making other sports their first priority.

I agree 100%. TN is not a "basketball state" or a "football state" or even a "baseball state". We do all sports very well, which is part of what I believe makes this state so unique. Oh yeah, we also have a "little" history in the music industry. /wink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

For all of you SEC haters out there, it would probably be best if you would run your mouth to someone who likes your conferences and actually thinks they are good. No one cares about how many time Ohio State can beat Michigan, or barely squirt by Wisconsin, or any other team in that pathetic conference. Bottom line on all these states and athletes is that if you can recruit the gulf coast states from Texas through Florida and include the state of Georgia, you have the best shot at winning a National title. Any of these athletes from high school to college will tell you that the SEC is most likely to prepare you for the NFL if you are that good. By the way, if Ohio State manages to slip through the LiL TEN again and make an appearance at the "GAME", maybe they could pay someone to keep an SEC team from showing up on the other side of the field. /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> If anyone needs clarification on those states again I will list them for you: "TEXAS, LOUISIANA, MISSISSIPPI, ALABAMA, FLORIDA, AND GEORGIA. I would also put Tennessee in there before I would recruit the northern states.

They actually have only 9 players that are either committed or being recruited. '08 recruiting update. Last year had 10 players being recruited. Doesn't always translate into being better than one team or another. Played Youngstown(OH) Cardinal Mooney last year in the Herbie, and got manhandled 27-6. Mooney vs Gateway Both teams ended up losing in their State's title game. I don't believe TN is lacking in quality, as there are a lot of athletes in the state. It's a combination of several things: Quantity(population). Although I think the population thing is a little overrated, unless you live in Rhode Island. the next two are the most important in my opinion. Coaching. The number of programs that reload, and for the most part, seeing the same names making deep runs in the playoffs every year is relatively small, which is due to two things: the number of good coaches, and the way your playoffs are set up, but that's a whole other story: Community. Not nearly the support/involvement/attendance AS A WHOLE when compared to TX, OH and Pa. It's just a year round way of life in those states. Translates into some of those athletes making other sports their first priority.

Those are the 9 seniors. I wouldn't get too hung up on the numbers because those came from a college recruiter and they tend to exxagerate. /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" /> All galilee did was repeat what he was told. However, if you count the sophomores, and if they turn out to be equal to the classes above them, 20 may actually be correct.

Franklin County High had at least 12 DI signees when I was at Lawrence County.

Us Maryville Rebel fans are very fortunate to have George Quarles and the rest of the great coaching staff that we have. Maryville pays their teachers and coaches very well.

A lot of Tennessee High School coaches leave and go to Georgia for better pay. Jon Reid and Tim Hammontree coach together on the same team.

Now, let's not make this into a topic on college football. However, I'll say this and leave it:

Ohio State is a fine program....they just haven't been able to beat the SEC. The SEC has been the best conference in college football for many years now, but over the past 3 years specifically, they have been so dominant that other conferences (and the national media with a Big 11 and Pac-10 bias) can't deny them superiority anymore, and those that do appear foolish.

The bashing of the SEC's out of conference scheduling is pure hypocrisy by Big 11 and Pac-10 schools. Also, the SEC has many annual rivalries with out of conference teams (Florida-FSU, GT-UGA, USC-Clemson, UK-Louisville, and now VU-WF) Also, you have Arkansas playing teams like Texas-Austin, and Southern Cal recently. UTK playing Cal and UCLA recently (have Oklahoma scheduled in a few years too). Bama playing Clemson and FSU recently. Just because SEC teams play 3-4 top 25 teams WITHIN their conference EVERY year, doesn't mean they don't schedule other BCS conference teams. The difference is they don't HAVE to in order to "beef up" their strength of schedule.

Best conference over the last 3 years....yes. Best for many years now....no.

The Big Ten is 8-6 vs. the SEC in bowl games over the last five years

The Big Ten is 13-13 vs. the SEC in bowl games over the last decade.

Over the last nine years of Bowl Championship Series games, the Big Ten leads all conferences with 15 berths while ranking second with eight victories. The SEC tops all leagues with nine wins and ranks second to the Big Ten with 13 appearances. A factor in those victories against the B10 is the fact that more often than not, outside of BCS games, a higher seeded SEC team was paired with a lower seeded B10 team. Because of the B10 team being in a BCS game. Ex: '07 TN(SEC runner-up) vs Wisconsin(#4 B10). Not really a fair way to guage conference superiority.

In the last 10 years the Big Ten has produced two national champions compared to three for the SEC.

In the last 15 years the Big Ten has produced five Heisman Trophy winners, more than any other conference. Over that same time span, the SEC has claimed one Heisman. I would say things are pretty even when you go back more than 3 years. As far as schedule bashing, it's the pot calling the kettle black. Anyone that knows anything about college football knows that EVERY team schedules creampuffs. It just happens to be the battle cry of everyone south of the mason dixon when you mention Ohio State, or the whole Pac 10. Other than the last 2 years, B10 teams have had the same number of top 25 teams WITHIN their conference schedule, push. Key word in your ooc top 25 teams is RECENT. Anyways, I'll also let it go, because you could look at things a million different ways and in the end you come out with this: These 2 conferences being the best overall over the modern era, and this always coming down to a North vs South thing.

Those are the 9 seniors. I wouldn't get too hung up on the numbers because those came from a college recruiter and they tend to exxagerate. /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" /> All galilee did was repeat what he was told. However, if you count the sophomores, and if they turn out to be equal to the classes above them, 20 may actually be correct.

Franklin County High had at least 12 DI signees when I was at Lawrence County.

I guess I misunderstood galilee. If your talking grades 10-12, there are dozens of high school programs that can claim those types of numbers year in year out. They call them "players to watch" in 10th grade.