District 11aa

HHSnumber1fan

I like the format we had a couple of years ago where the boys and girls finals are on Saturday. Everything else would be the same. Monday/Tuesday at the high seeds, Thursday/Friday semis and finals on Saturday. Want a day's rest before finals? Go Wednesday/Thursday on the semis. We've made a 5 day event into an 8 day one. That's why we can't play baseball any sooner coachrop. /biggrin.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" /> Basketball, in particular, wastes entirely too much time in the post-season.

I have lot's of ideas for all district teams. Either don't do them or make them performance based. Every team is not deserving of having an all district candidate every year. Thirteen players on the dang thing and we still didn't get it right. High school kids aren't stupid. They know who the players are. Stats don't lie if you keep them right. /dry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="

My vote would be to do away with superlatives and just give everybody a participation trophy and a coupon for an ice cream cone..........

There was nothing performance based about the selection or non-selections for All District this year I can tell you.....at least in a couple of instances. Coaches from each team submit their players to the All District 1st and 2nd teams. There were two players who were clearly 2nd teamers who didn't make it. If you go look at the scoring stats for each team this season it won't take you long to figure out who they were (process by elimination) and not even taking into consideration their other stats which aren't posted. One of the two should have been on the All Tournament team because he was a standout for his team in the championship game. It makes one lose respect for the selection process and those involved in deciding the outcome. The kids left out deserve better than that!

• Replies 617
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep it's subjective and I don't think every coach does their due diligence in researching who's deserving. They just want to make sure every team is represented it looks like from the outside.

This stuff is as old as youth league all star teams. Some coaches do a good job and to some it's a popularity contest. I don't see the purpose of having all district teams.

Harpeth fans come out and support the Lady Indians tonight at home against Camden!

Yep it's subjective and I don't think every coach does their due diligence in researching who's deserving. They just want to make sure every team is represented it looks like from the outside.

This stuff is as old as youth league all star teams. Some coaches do a good job and to some it's a popularity contest. I don't see the purpose of having all district teams.

Harpeth fans come out and support the Lady Indians tonight at home against Camden!

KS...good point. It is about personalities and favoritism plays a big factor in that. It also has a lot to do with the "control" factor and being able to manipulate the outcome. If a kid has fallen out favor with his coach for whatever reason (and there could be many reasons), and as long as the selection process remains subjective, nothing will change to help a kid, who by all intents and purposes has earned his recognition. A lot of it goes back to what you and I have discussed before IMO.......that being the single sport athlete vs the multi sport athlete.

And BTW, I really liked your comment at the end of your original post and it was right on target. If they can't get it right, give out participation trophys and a coupon for an ice cream cone. Well said KS!

I'll say this. All district teams are so subjective and then because every team has to be represented, the results have the potential to be skewed. You hope that coaches have at least watched a little film on the guy or reviewed some stats besides the 2 games out of 30 that they've seen them play.

Every sport at every level, when they do these things, I find myself lot's of time saying 'what?' /huh.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":huh:" border="0" alt="huh.gif" /> I guess that's why I'm opposed to them so much. In the big picture, it's another plaque or trophy your kid sticks on the shelf with the dozens of others. I don't know why they still do it.

One good story that has been told by Keith DeLong who played for the Vols in the 80's about his dad Steve DeLong winning the Outland Trophy as a Vol in the 60's. A reporter asked him if he knew that his Dad had won such a prestigious award and where was it displayed in the house when he was growing up. Keith said that he didn't know that it meant anything to his Dad until him and his buddies used it for 2nd base in a backyard baseball game and his Dad found it lying in the mud. It had been displayed in a storage box in the garage. /happy.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="^_^" border="0" alt="happy.gif" />

With all this behind us, let's all root for our 11AA brethren this weekend in the first round of regions.

Let's hear from everybody! I heard that Waverly played their tails off against Bolivar and lost by 8. That's strong!

Harpeth did enough to win 40-36, but didn't have a great day at the free throw line hitting 4 of 16 for the game and 3 of 10 in the 4th period when they had plenty of opportunities to put it away. Zach Crowe came off the bench and hit 3 big 3's in the 2nd period and Jess Morris knocked down 2. I think Horkins hit 2 treys, McMullin hit a couple and Turner one. After both sides swapped turnovers on in bounds plays, Caruthers iced it with 2 at the free throw line with 6.6 left. It helped that Southside had a hard time hitting anything. Survive and advance baby! A W is a W. Refs were from NW Tennessee. Hats off to them. One of the better refereed games I've seen this year.

Congratulations to all the 11AA teams. They represented well this year. Southside officials had the game time about right. It was spitting a little sleet when we walked in and snowing like crazy when we left but no accumulation. By the time we got to the Tennessee River, the reports from Jackson were that there was an inch on the ground. Hats off to the Harpeth faithful that made the trek in inclement weather and a moving target for game time. I think there were more Harpeth fans in the stands than Southside, but it was a sparse crowd.

SycamoreIV at Waverly Tuesday night at 6.

Let's hear from everybody! I heard that Waverly played their tails off against Bolivar and lost by 8. That's strong!

Harpeth did enough to win 40-36, but didn't have a great day at the free throw line hitting 4 of 16 for the game and 3 of 10 in the 4th period when they had plenty of opportunities to put it away. Zach Crowe came off the bench and hit 3 big 3's in the 2nd period and Jess Morris knocked down 2. I think Horkins hit 2 treys, McMullin hit a couple and Turner one. After both sides swapped turnovers on in bounds plays, Caruthers iced it with 2 at the free throw line with 6.6 left. It helped that Southside had a hard time hitting anything. Survive and advance baby! A W is a W. Refs were from NW Tennessee. Hats off to them. One of the better refereed games I've seen this year.

Congratulations to all the 11AA teams. They represented well this year. Southside officials had the game time about right. It was spitting a little sleet when we walked in and snowing like crazy when we left but no accumulation. By the time we got to the Tennessee River, the reports from Jackson were that there was an inch on the ground. Hats off to the Harpeth faithful that made the trek in inclement weather and a moving target for game time. I think there were more Harpeth fans in the stands than Southside, but it was a sparse crowd.

SycamoreIV at Waverly Tuesday night at 6.

Well done District 11 AA, I'm glad everyone made it except Waverly. Tonight we played Bolivar and it was a one-point game at half time, We held them to one point in the second quarter. They came out to start off the third and hit a three and got the crowd in it. We started trading baskets and then they got it out to about a 5-point lead and didn't look back. Very close game all the way through but we just couldn't pull it out. Hats off to whoever #3 is on their team, he hit 6 threes i believe with almost all of them 25 feet or more out from the basket. We would've won without his effort. I fully expect Creekwood to win against Bolivar as long as they play well. Good luck to both Sycamore and Harpeth I'm excited to watch that game.

I would like to thank all of the fans from Waverly who came out and supported me throughout my career, it was a great four years of basketball for me. Also, i would like to wish everyone good luck in the coming games, and I fully enjoyed playing everyone in our district, I will truly miss basketball next year.

Sincerely, Ben Leonard (#20) /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

Well done District 11 AA, I'm glad everyone made it except Waverly. Tonight we played Bolivar and it was a one-point game at half time, We held them to one point in the second quarter. They came out to start off the third and hit a three and got the crowd in it. We started trading baskets and then they got it out to about a 5-point lead and didn't look back. Very close game all the way through but we just couldn't pull it out. Hats off to whoever #3 is on their team, he hit 6 threes i believe with almost all of them 25 feet or more out from the basket. We would've won without his effort. I fully expect Creekwood to win against Bolivar as long as they play well. Good luck to both Sycamore and Harpeth I'm excited to watch that game.

I would like to thank all of the fans from Waverly who came out and supported me throughout my career, it was a great four years of basketball for me. Also, i would like to wish everyone good luck in the coming games, and I fully enjoyed playing everyone in our district, I will truly miss basketball next year.

Sincerely, Ben Leonard (#20) /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

Ben, it's been a pleasure getting to watch you play these past years. Best of luck in all that you do.

Ben...I've watched a lot of games in this district over the years, and I have to say that you are one of the most classiest young men I've ever seen play in this league. The biggest instance of this that I've seen was when Cheatham County traveled to Waverly this year and you helped carry the Cheatham player who twisted his ankle to the bench. Good luck in all that you do...I'm sure you will be successful at anything you do if you carry the same attitude forward.

What a way to start March Madness, Waverly, Tn March 3 Sycamre-Harpeth part 4; Creek Wood-Bolivar. Action starts at 600 and it should be packed and loud. Big ups to 11AA. One 11AA team will be guaranteed to play for a trip to the Boro. Attention we need all 11AA fans to show up BIG on Tues. I have never been one to pick winners and i will not start, but does ROP! have a good feeling about Tues. night. Best of luck to all Teams! 20 nice post, you are a posterboard example of why high school athlitics are the greatest on earth, we get to see young teens evolve into productive young men and women. Congrats on a productive carrer! I am out to Raymond C. hand park for some D1 baseball. APSU and Ball St. All Creek Wood fans refresh your memory on how to get to Waverly and BE there Tuesday. These kids and this program deserve our support!! 30PEACE!!!

Dittos Ben. It's been fun watching you guys play. Sounds like you all did a heck of a job against Bolivar. We were rooting for ya.

Hoping for a big turnout at Waverly Tuesday. Student sections need to step up. It's a short trip down highway 70. Everybody be safe. Slow down through McEwen or it'll cost you.