DO YOU THINK THEY SHOULD STOP THE TWO WEEK FALL BREAK?

StevieRayVol

I would hate to be a coach and have to DEAL with the two week fall break...OR EVEN THE TWO WEEK SPRING BREAK.....I know the kids come to practice EVERYDAY....But it seems to me that the FOOTBALL I HAVE SEEN PLAYED during the spring break...( Dyersburg and DC)....the kids AREN"T INTO IT like they should be...maybe it is just me...I think it has to be hard on coaches ...dealing with a bunch of teenage boys out on fall break....You get kids in a routine...They stay in a routine...I know the coaches practice the kids ...but nothing like HAVING THEM THERE AT SCHOOL...and not breaking from "their routine"....Kids get DISTRACETED TOO EASILY WHEN THEY HAVE TIME OFF....And it is harder on the parents who have SMALL CHILDREN who aren't old enough to stay by themselves....They should go back to giving them 3 months off in the summer...JMO.....Take it for what it is worth...Congrats to Dyersburg ...and DC.....I just think these kids play better when they are BACK IN SCHOOL...

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not sure this discussion belongs here. However I'd like to take everyone who is pushing for the year round school year out back and shoot them. It's garbage. You can't get childcare for this kind of schedule. The kids might learn for 7 of the 9 weeks because they're too wound up the first and last week of the period. Not to mention the fact that the only real reason I've been given to do this kind of schedule is so that teachers can have 2 weeks off every 9 weeks. So no benefit to learning.

Teachers do not have it hard compared to a lot of folks. Yet some cry all the time about how tough it is. Your pay is usually better than the median income of the area you're in. You get more time off than anyone I know. And if it's so terrible why did you pick it.

No to year round school and stupid fall breaks and such. It's garbage.

DL.

I'm not sure this discussion belongs here. However I'd like to take everyone who is pushing for the year round school year out back and shoot them. It's garbage. You can't get childcare for this kind of schedule. The kids might learn for 7 of the 9 weeks because they're too wound up the first and last week of the period. Not to mention the fact that the only real reason I've been given to do this kind of schedule is so that teachers can have 2 weeks off every 9 weeks. So no benefit to learning.

Teachers do not have it hard compared to a lot of folks. Yet some cry all the time about how tough it is. Your pay is usually better than the median income of the area you're in. You get more time off than anyone I know. And if it's so terrible why did you pick it.

DL.

DelTavin,quit beating around the bush and tell us how u really feel! /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

How the teams perform during Fall break would seem to me to be a coaching issue. Fall breaks don't typically coincide for all the schools anyway. One team will be on break and one will not in many cases.

I agree with DelTavian. School from Labor Day to Memorial Day. Summer from Memorial Day to Labor Day with a 3 month dead period. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

DL.

All the childcare providers I have ever dealt with were flexible. They adjust their schedules to fit the school calendar. If the calendar is truly designed that way for teachers consider that they may need the rest. I had much rather have a teacher in charge of my child's education who is eager and excited--not burned out. We seem to have adjusted to the year-round calendar in Maury County.

Alcoa has a "modified" year round schedule, and it seems to work well. To think that the school system is going to change their schedule to fit football is absurd.

For those of you that think teachers have it so easy, think about this: Most teachers don't have all the time off that you think they do. Many of them take classes during their breaks to keep up with new strategies/techniques, not to mention to be able to handle the baggage that many kids come to school with.

You try being in a classroom with 18-28 kids, different backgrounds, different skill levels, and make sure all of them meet the state standards. Then you have the parents to deal with who think that their precious babies can do no wrong and the teachers have no idea what they're doing.

And, no, I'm not a teacher...there's not enough money in the world I could be paid to do their job.

If you can read this: thank a teacher. If you can read this in English: Thank a soldier!

I would hate to be a coach and have to DEAL with the two week fall break...OR EVEN THE TWO WEEK SPRING BREAK.....I know the kids come to practice EVERYDAY....But it seems to me that the FOOTBALL I HAVE SEEN PLAYED during the spring break...( Dyersburg and DC)....the kids AREN"T INTO IT like they should be...maybe it is just me...I think it has to be hard on coaches ...dealing with a bunch of teenage boys out on fall break....You get kids in a routine...They stay in a routine...I know the coaches practice the kids ...but nothing like HAVING THEM THERE AT SCHOOL...and not breaking from "their routine"....Kids get DISTRACETED TOO EASILY WHEN THEY HAVE TIME OFF....And it is harder on the parents who have SMALL CHILDREN who aren't old enough to stay by themselves....They should go back to giving them 3 months off in the summer...JMO.....Take it for what it is worth...Congrats to Dyersburg ...and DC.....I just think these kids play better when they are BACK IN SCHOOL...

definitely. give us a one week fall break just like everyone else and a one week spring break like everyone else, giving summer 2 extra weeks. itll never happen at dyer county though. dr hedge wont do it.

I would hate to be a coach and have to DEAL with the two week fall break...OR EVEN THE TWO WEEK SPRING BREAK.....I know the kids come to practice EVERYDAY....But it seems to me that the FOOTBALL I HAVE SEEN PLAYED during the spring break...( Dyersburg and DC)....the kids AREN"T INTO IT like they should be...maybe it is just me...I think it has to be hard on coaches ...dealing with a bunch of teenage boys out on fall break....You get kids in a routine...They stay in a routine...I know the coaches practice the kids ...but nothing like HAVING THEM THERE AT SCHOOL...and not breaking from "their routine"....Kids get DISTRACTED TOO EASILY WHEN THEY HAVE TIME OFF....And it is harder on the parents who have SMALL CHILDREN who aren't old enough to stay by themselves....They should go back to giving them 3 months off in the summer...JMO.....Take it for what it is worth...Congrats to Dyersburg ...and DC.....I just think these kids play better when they are BACK IN SCHOOL...

Stevie, we in Dyer County know how much this situation the State impounded ( made to) on only 8 of 95 counties in Tennesee was to evalate saving Money which definetly Has Not HELPED /dry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=" ..Make no mistake Its a Great hindrance to football teams..all others who think its Not should be MADE to try it then say its not .. DHS NOR Dyer County f/b fare as well during these two down weeks..Mainly the children dont learn or retain as much which was the intent .

AGAIN I re-state .IT HAS NOT WORKED AND SHOULD BE OVERTURNED..Naturally its a TENNESSEE Govt MANDATE AND WILL NOT HAPPEN I FEEL MOSTLY FOR THE CHILDREN LEARNING THAT LOSE ON THIS ONE. /dry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="

Alcoa has a "modified" year round schedule, and it seems to work well. To think that the school system is going to change their schedule to fit football is absurd.

For those of you that think teachers have it so easy, think about this: Most teachers don't have all the time off that you think they do. Many of them take classes during their breaks to keep up with new strategies/techniques, not to mention to be able to handle the baggage that many kids come to school with.

You try being in a classroom with 18-28 kids, different backgrounds, different skill levels, and make sure all of them meet the state standards. Then you have the parents to deal with who think that their precious babies can do no wrong and the teachers have no idea what they're doing.

And, no, I'm not a teacher...there's not enough money in the world I could be paid to do their job.

If you can read this: thank a teacher. If you can read this in English: Thank a soldier!

I know children do better when they have constructive activities, whether it be school or football. Keeps them out of a lot of trouble. My hats off to the teachers no matter what time frame their school year. BUMP to the TEACHER, ENGLISH and SOLDIER kudos, tornadogold!!!!

Stevie, we in Dyer County know how much this situation the State impounded ( made to) on only 8 of 95 counties in Tennesee was to evalate saving Money which definetly Has Not HELPED /dry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=" ..Make no mistake Its a Great hindrance to football teams..all others who think its Not should be MADE to try it then say its not .. DHS NOR Dyer County f/b fare as well during these two down weeks..Mainly the children dont learn or retain as much which was the intent .

AGAIN I re-state .IT HAS NOT WORKED AND SHOULD BE OVERTURNED..Naturally its a TENNESSEE Govt MANDATE AND WILL NOT HAPPEN I FEEL MOSTLY FOR THE CHILDREN LEARNING THAT LOSE ON THIS ONE. /dry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="

I didn't know that the two week intersession/fall break was mandated by the state to any school system. I just thought the local school board decided to implement such a calendar. Are you completely sure about your info? We have a three day fall break (Wed, Thurs, Fri) followed by a week of intersession in Trenton. There are mixed reviews over intersession's worth. Either way, I think most coaches here feel having kids out of a routine is not beneficial. I coach middle school football, and our season was over the week before fall break, so it doesn't really affect me. I think, however, I would have to lean to the idea of starting after Labor Day and getting out before Memorial Day with as few of breaks as possible (you would still have to get in 180 days of school no matter what) Starting and stopping, starting and stopping disrupts the educational process.