Powell Panthers vs West Rebels

jlancaster

Well, the biggest question is; who wants it more...With a playoff spot secured, do Powell just go into this game with a play it safe attitude or do they have bigger goals in mind to keep them pressing on the gas pedal and moving forward.

Well, I think that even though they have a spot already in the bank, they have more to play for. Look at the big picture with me for a second.

With a Powell win, they will have second place locked up in Region 3-4A and a First Round Playoff Game At Home. We all know that Powell is peaking at the right time and they play much better at home even though they lost to Maryville there...

What are your thoughts????

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, the biggest question is; who wants it more...With a playoff spot secured, do Powell just go into this game with a play it safe attitude or do they have bigger goals in mind to keep them pressing on the gas pedal and moving forward.

Well, I think that even though they have a spot already in the bank, they have more to play for. Look at the big picture with me for a second.

With a Powell win, they will have second place locked up in Region 3-4A and a First Round Playoff Game At Home. We all know that Powell is peaking at the right time and they play much better at home even though they lost to Maryville there...

What are your thoughts????

Powell still has to win out to earn the #2 seed. There is a possibility that there will be a 3-way tie for 2nd in the region (if Powell beats West and Clinton beats Powell, assuming Central loses to both West and Clinton). If that's the case, West would earn the #4 seed, by virtue of a 5-5 overall record. That leaves Powell and Clinton with the same overall record (7-3), but because Clinton beat them head-to-head, the Dragons would earn the #2 seed.

Powell has some serious momentum going their way. They have looked very good every week since their loss to Maryville. The good news is that they already have a playoff berth locked up. However, I'm sure these kids are hungry for more. The 3 playoffs teams that they will likely face in round 1 are all pretty even (Cleveland, Rhea County, Red Bank), so I would think that earning a home game in the first round would be a huge bonus.

West just seems to keep winning in a very "quiet" fashion. Everyone was thinking that this would be a major rebuilding year for the Rebels, but they have done an excellent job quieting those fears. Their defense has done a great job this year, just ask Maryville.

With that said, this is another huge game for both teams. Kier Houston has to be the 'X' factor in a game like this. He has been unstoppable since the Panthers loss against Maryville. I think this game will be close, but one thing that this Powell team can do is score (the Panthers average 15 more points per game compared to West).

My prediction:

Powell 28 - West 24

Week and week out i don't see how West does it. I was shocked the Rebels beat the Dragons. So I know this one will be close even though Powell holds all the firepower. What the Bobcats had to endure last week just wasn't right. Blitzkreig someone called it. I bet the Admirals feel the same way this week. What happend. I think it will be a good game and definetly for #2 as Clinton has been underperforming the past two weeks.

Powell still has to win out to earn the #2 seed. There is a possibility that there will be a 3-way tie for 2nd in the region (if Powell beats West and Clinton beats Powell, assuming Central loses to both West and Clinton). If that's the case, West would earn the #4 seed, by virtue of a 5-5 overall record. That leaves Powell and Clinton with the same overall record (7-3), but because Clinton beat them head-to-head, the Dragons would earn the #2 seed.

Powell has some serious momentum going their way. They have looked very good every week since their loss to Maryville. The good news is that they already have a playoff berth locked up. However, I'm sure these kids are hungry for more. The 3 playoffs teams that they will likely face in round 1 are all pretty even (Cleveland, Rhea County, Red Bank), so I would think that earning a home game in the first round would be a huge bonus.

West just seems to keep winning in a very "quiet" fashion. Everyone was thinking that this would be a major rebuilding year for the Rebels, but they have done an excellent job quieting those fears. Their defense has done a great job this year, just ask Maryville.

With that said, this is another huge game for both teams. Kier Houston has to be the 'X' factor in a game like this. He has been unstoppable since the Panthers loss against Maryville. I think this game will be close, but one thing that this Powell team can do is score (the Panthers average 15 more points per game compared to West).

My prediction:

Powell 28 - West 24

I'm sorry but Powell with a win next week will put them at 5-1 and will give them at least a tie for 2nd place. Even if Clinton beats Powell and wins out, it's the same as last year for the teams that tie; they look at the (wins) of the whole division, not just the head to head...With a win next week, Powell would have won all region games except Maryville and maybe Clinton, so Powell would be the winner per TSSAA Regulations.

When Powell lost to Clinton last year, that's what everyone thought until the coaches was notified after the game. In coach Lowes talk to the team after the win, he didn't know that they made it to the playoffs.

Now I could be wrong, but this is what some of the parents came up with after Centrals win...

Powell 28

West 14

Per TSSAA Football Regulations:

E. The following tie-breaking procedures shall be applied and all regular-season games, both region and non-region, shall count (After each of the following steps have been applied, item C above shall be applied.):

1. The team with the greatest number of victories.

2. The team who has the greatest number of victories over teams winning 50 percent or more of their games.

3. The team whose opponents have earned the most victories.

4. The team whose opponents have received fewer defeats.

5. The team who has the greatest number of victories over teams in its own class.

6. Ten yardline overtime procedure at neutral site Monday night at 7:30 P.M.

C. If at any point when the following tie-breaking procedures are applied, one team has beaten all the other teams that are tied for a play-off position, that team shall be rated above the others.

The whole Handbook for Regulations for 2008-2009 can be found at: www.tssaa.org/Handbook/football.pdf

I'm sorry but Powell with a win next week will put them at 5-1 and will give them at least a tie for 2nd place. Even if Clinton beats Powell and wins out, it's the same as last year for the teams that tie; they look at the (wins) of the whole division, not just the head to head...With a win next week, Powell would have won all region games except Maryville and maybe Clinton, so Powell would be the winner per TSSAA Regulations.

When Powell lost to Clinton last year, that's what everyone thought until the coaches was notified after the game. In coach Lowes talk to the team after the win, he didn't know that they made it to the playoffs.

Now I could be wrong, but this is what some of the parents came up with after Centrals win...

Powell 28

West 14

If Clinton beat Powell (in that scenario), you'd have a similar situation to last year's #4 seed in the region. Powell, Clinton, and Central each finished at 3-4 in the region and tied for 4th. Because Powell had beaten Central (but lost to Clinton), and Central had beaten Clinton, the overall record of each team became the next tiebreaker. Since Powell had a 5-5 record (the best overall record of those 3 teams), they earned the #4 seed. This year, Powell wouldn't have that luxury. They would have the same region record as West and Clinton, plus they would actually have the same overall record as Clinton.

"If at any point when the following tie-breaking procedures are applied, one team has beaten all the other teams that are tied for a play-off position, that team shall be rated above the others."

Doesn't that mean that as you go step-by-step through the tie-breaking procedure (in this case a 3-team tie), once one team has been eliminated during the process (in this case West), the tiebreaker then becomes the winner of the head-to-head matchup between the 2 remaining teams (in this case Powell and Clinton)? If that is the case, then Clinton would earn the #2 seed. I'm just trying to get clarification, that's all.

If Clinton beat Powell (in that scenario), you'd have a similar situation to last year's #4 seed in the region. Powell, Clinton, and Central each finished at 3-4 in the region and tied for 4th. Because Powell had beaten Central (but lost to Clinton), and Central had beaten Clinton, the overall record of each team became the next tiebreaker. Since Powell had a 5-5 record (the best overall record of those 3 teams), they earned the #4 seed. This year, Powell wouldn't have that luxury. They would have the same region record as West and Clinton, plus they would actually have the same overall record as Clinton.

"If at any point when the following tie-breaking procedures are applied, one team has beaten all the other teams that are tied for a play-off position, that team shall be rated above the others."

Doesn't that mean that as you go step-by-step through the tie-breaking procedure (in this case a 3-team tie), once one team has been eliminated during the process (in this case West), the tiebreaker then becomes the winner of the head-to-head matchup between the 2 remaining teams (in this case Powell and Clinton)? If that is the case, then Clinton would earn the #2 seed. I'm just trying to get clarification, that's all.

To me as I read their language, the head to head does not apply and it would go to the 10 yard rule, I think...

I'm asking for clarification on it, but in the scenario that three teams finsh tied the head to head doesn't apply, just like last year.

As I understand it, if the three teams finish tied for second and the head to head wouldn't work because no team had beaten both the other two, the seed would go to the 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 4th if necessary tie breaker before it was decided. In that three way scenario no one team could be elimiminated by the total victory tiebreaker. One team has to have a clear tiebreaker over both of the other teams for that tiebreaker to apply.

It's pretty confusing, I admit. The reason it was a simple cut and dried thing last year is because Powell had more overall victories than both Clinton or Central did and that was for the 4th and final playoff spot from the region. It's a bit premature to even look at the 2nd or 3rd or 4th or 5th tiebreakers right now. There are still two games to be played.

Honestly, this discussion really doesn't need to be happening yet, in my opinion. Anybody looking ahead of this week needs to just slow down. West is a very good football team. They have lost some close games to outstanding football teams. Powell fans just need to take the next two weeks one game at a time, just like the coaches and players are. I promise you they aren't looking ahead at the "what ifs".

I'd love to not have to travel on Nov. 7, either, but that's not something that even needs to be discussed at this point. There are still two really tough games left for the Panthers - both on the road, at that.

Powell has looked very impressive, West held Clinton to their lowest scoring total all year.........

Didunt Clantun scorr 19 on Knotts West????.........Didunt Mairvul hold Clantun two 16 on two scorrs agin tha subs in tha last quarter???????............ /huh.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":huh:" border="0" alt="huh.gif" />

Eye'll go wif Pal in a close one, cents thair playin' at home....