7AAA

spartaman

Congrats to Riverdale and Cookeville. Both teams showed up when it counted. Lebanon and Blackman, keep your heads up, you still have an opportunity to represent 7AAA very well.

Breaking my own rule here. This is not about one game in particular. On the whole, the officiating stunk for both of the ladies games. It did not cost Lebanon or Blackman the game. Both teams committed way too many unforced turn overs early in the game. That said, the most dissapointing aspect of both games is the officials whistling fouls in anticipation of a foul. Once again calling what they think is going to happen vs. what happens. There were two seperate instances in the Cookeville / Lebanon game where the whistle blew before contact was even made. Made by the same official both times. And he did it in the boys game as well. The same was occuring during the Riverdale / Blackman game and it was a different set of officials. The only consistency between the two officiating crews (other than their ineptitude) was their inability to recognize a jump stop during the girls game. They call the jump stops as walks and let the post players shuffle their feet under the basket. But hey, at least that part has been consistent all year long. They seemed to recognize it in the boys games. If these were the two best crews, we are woefully lacking.

With regard to the Riverdale / Blackman game, it's tough to shoot better than 17% when you are getting mugged everytime you touch the ball or move to receive a pass. Did the officiating cost Blackman the game? No. Was it attrocious? Most definitely. Just a little more shirt and shorts pulling and we would have been able to report on the Lady Blaze choice of undergarment color. I can understand (not necessairly agree) with some hacks being called and others not. My view from the stand is different from that on the floor. Jerseys being streched and shorts coming down is a different story. IF you are watching your area of the floor. Yes, you may miss it once or twice because you are focused in on a pair of players. But an entire game, give me a break!

And before all those responses of "If it's not good enough, pass the test and join an association" comments start to fall, I am not one of the ones that you would want out there. I know that I am too slow to keep pace with the game.

I can't speak to the philosophy of CM on leaving the starting rotation in or her motives. I can only speak to the underlying motives of the comments about "Take that for turning us in" comments from people wearing Riverdale logoed clothing. Pretty clear message that one. Sadly, these were adults wearing these sweatshirts and t-shirts. Just hope these are fans and not those with daily influence over some kid's life. Is it any wonder we have problems with personal accountability these days? Not the same loudmouth referred to by other posters about yelling at the Blackman coach and players. That one was 4 rows up 3 or 4 seats in from the aisle behind the Riverdale bench. Black leather coat, no sweatshirt. Most definitely heard from the opposite stands.

• Replies 941
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well i must have been at a different game because i did not see all the shirt pullings and the poor officiating that some of yall have referenced but thats ok when you get beat by 40 by a team that you beat during the season there must be some other explanation other than you got whooped...

Coach Maxwell did not leave the entire starting rotaion in the whole game in fact she played at least 8 deep the entire game and midway through the 4th she played 9 and 10 now she did not do a full team sub but she played a lot of players

as far as the take that for turning us in i kinda like it...we got in trouble for a working issue with a letter to the middle schools instead of saying all RIVERDALE students it just said all so now we lose spring and summer practices but thats ok...we have our top 9 players returning (1 of them has been out all year witha knee injury)next year so its not like we have a young team so we will be ok and i would think we should do at least what we have done this year...so those adults wearing those shirts could be the parents of the freshman and sophmores that is going to have less of an opportunity to show the coaches that they can play just as good as all of the returning players

GO LADY WARRIORS KEEP UP THE INTENSITY

Congrats to Riverdale and Cookeville. Both teams showed up when it counted. Lebanon and Blackman, keep your heads up, you still have an opportunity to represent 7AAA very well.

Breaking my own rule here. This is not about one game in particular. On the whole, the officiating stunk for both of the ladies games. It did not cost Lebanon or Blackman the game. Both teams committed way too many unforced turn overs early in the game. That said, the most dissapointing aspect of both games is the officials whistling fouls in anticipation of a foul. Once again calling what they think is going to happen vs. what happens. There were two seperate instances in the Cookeville / Lebanon game where the whistle blew before contact was even made. Made by the same official both times. And he did it in the boys game as well. The same was occuring during the Riverdale / Blackman game and it was a different set of officials. The only consistency between the two officiating crews (other than their ineptitude) was their inability to recognize a jump stop during the girls game. They call the jump stops as walks and let the post players shuffle their feet under the basket. But hey, at least that part has been consistent all year long. They seemed to recognize it in the boys games. If these were the two best crews, we are woefully lacking.

With regard to the Riverdale / Blackman game, it's tough to shoot better than 17% when you are getting mugged everytime you touch the ball or move to receive a pass. Did the officiating cost Blackman the game? No. Was it attrocious? Most definitely. Just a little more shirt and shorts pulling and we would have been able to report on the Lady Blaze choice of undergarment color. I can understand (not necessairly agree) with some hacks being called and others not. My view from the stand is different from that on the floor. Jerseys being streched and shorts coming down is a different story. IF you are watching your area of the floor. Yes, you may miss it once or twice because you are focused in on a pair of players. But an entire game, give me a break!

And before all those responses of "If it's not good enough, pass the test and join an association" comments start to fall, I am not one of the ones that you would want out there. I know that I am too slow to keep pace with the game.

I can't speak to the philosophy of CM on leaving the starting rotation in or her motives. I can only speak to the underlying motives of the comments about "Take that for turning us in" comments from people wearing Riverdale logoed clothing. Pretty clear message that one. Sadly, these were adults wearing these sweatshirts and t-shirts. Just hope these are fans and not those with daily influence over some kid's life. Is it any wonder we have problems with personal accountability these days? Not the same loudmouth referred to by other posters about yelling at the Blackman coach and players. That one was 4 rows up 3 or 4 seats in from the aisle behind the Riverdale bench. Black leather coat, no sweatshirt. Most definitely heard from the opposite stands.

keeper, I take these one at a time. For some reason, there has been a lot of comment on officiating for the same items you are mentioning not only on this District tournament in the Boro but in other District tournaments also and some are saying that the older officials are not there and the replacements are not giving the detailed calls as they have in the past. Carter warned a year ago, in an article, that he had some concern with this in every sport. It may have been a prophesy. I do know that Officials Associations from time to time do monitor this site and quietly try to monitor things not being seen. It's to their interest to stay on top and alert things that may or may not be happening. The other thing is this is a hotbed right not of emotion in this district and the officials know it and may be overreacting. If I were in their position, my error might be on caution which brings me tomy second point and that was an official notifying the principal in the RD/Oakland game they were going to throw RDMan out of the gym for being a little energetic for his cheering. Officials, I believe, are being more cautious on crowd contral and Security people at games are more alert, this time, on anything happening. This District Tournament has and can have huge crowds, Standing room only and there is also caution there. I think you can understand that.

Third thing, tee's or Sweat shirts are a fact of life and prints on them can be funny or inflammatory as would be a team Saturday afternoon wearing pajamas when they left the gym to go home. That can be inflamatory also BUT everyone sit tight, keep their powder dry and enjoy the atmosphere with the Students and players and let each school security take care of those things. They will and can. Now, the loudmouth. this is an adult andI believe both the officials and security, if it is out of hand has a way of taking care of that if it was noticeably out of hand. And they can and they will. There however is a difference in opinion as to what is bad and not bad according to the situation and security is not bashful in these cases. Maybe someone did caution him and it was over with. There were plenty of officials and plenty of security there to handle anything.

It is unfortunate that tensions were high with some fans. But nothing happened and the peeps were getting warned. I would like to compliment all of the above who's job it was to keep track with this herd of people. They did a good job. They will do a good job Monday night and at every location in the State.

The manual on crowd control and the responsibility of security has been looked at carefully, I'm sure, in the past few months but those responsible for keeping order are being careful. Cooperate with them and know where they are and report anything unusual and everything with be all right. Don't cause a scene just because someone else is. If you think about it, things worse than this have happened before.

keeper, I take these one at a time. For some reason, there has been a lot of comment on officiating for the same items you are mentioning not only on this District tournament in the Boro but in other District tournaments also and some are saying that the older officials are not there and the replacements are not giving the detailed calls as they have in the past. Carter warned a year ago, in an article, that he had some concern with this in every sport. It may have been a prophesy. I do know that Officials Associations from time to time do monitor this site and quietly try to monitor things not being seen. It's to their interest to stay on top and alert things that may or may not be happening. The other thing is this is a hotbed right not of emotion in this district and the officials know it and may be overreacting. If I were in their position, my error might be on caution which brings me tomy second point and that was an official notifying the principal in the RD/Oakland game they were going to throw RDMan out of the gym for being a little energetic for his cheering. Officials, I believe, are being more cautious on crowd contral and Security people at games are more alert, this time, on anything happening. This District Tournament has and can have huge crowds, Standing room only and there is also caution there. I think you can understand that.

Third thing, tee's or Sweat shirts are a fact of life and prints on them can be funny or inflammatory as would be a team Saturday afternoon wearing pajamas when they left the gym to go home. That can be inflamatory also BUT everyone sit tight, keep their powder dry and enjoy the atmosphere with the Students and players and let each school security take care of those things. They will and can. Now, the loudmouth. this is an adult andI believe both the officials and security, if it is out of hand has a way of taking care of that if it was noticeably out of hand. And they can and they will. There however is a difference in opinion as to what is bad and not bad according to the situation and security is not bashful in these cases. Maybe someone did caution him and it was over with. There were plenty of officials and plenty of security there to handle anything.

It is unfortunate that tensions were high with some fans. But nothing happened and the peeps were getting warned. I would like to compliment all of the above who's job it was to keep track with this herd of people. They did a good job. They will do a good job Monday night and at every location in the State.

The manual on crowd control and the responsibility of security has been looked at carefully, I'm sure, in the past few months but those responsible for keeping order are being careful. Cooperate with them and know where they are and report anything unusual and everything with be all right. Don't cause a scene just because someone else is. If you think about it, things worse than this have happened before.

Phargis,

To your points. I didn't know about basketball, but I do know that some of the evaluators for soccer officials do monitor coacht to get a feel of what areas to address in their yearly review meetings. One of the reasons that I post my rants. I promise that it is not to aggravate Rman, though that usually happens as well. One of the reasons that I started off saying that this is not what cost Lebanon and Blackman victories. To your second point, I agree wholeheartedly. Sometimes the heat of the moment causes people to respond to a call or play loudly. Having someone caution them is the best way to handle it. There have been more than one field marshal in my past let me know I was questioning too much. As to your third point, my issue was the comments directed at the girls on the floor. Coaches, officials and fans are big boys and girls and can take care of themselves. As you know, I have defended CM and questioned the severity of the penalty assessed to Riverdale. My comment about clothing was to identify that the comment did come from someone associated with Riverdale as opposed to some generic fan in the building. All part of the rivalry between the schools that date back to some signs that appeared at a Football game concerning a player that transferred. Again, yell at me all you want when you see me wearing a Blackman hat or sweatshirt. I just ignor it and move on. But don't do it to kids wearing their school uniforms. They deserve better than that from adults.

Just so we can clear the air...

Yes Riverdale beat Blackman by 40. Riverdale played their game. I am afraid that if I somehow mention that Blackman didn't play to the best of their ability it will be inferred as a slight against Riverdale. Hopefully acknowledging that Riverdale is a good team will satisfy those that want to rub it in.

On to the next round of games. Go hard, be safe and good luck.

I am not quite sure what game you attended, but I saw no examples of players having their shorts tugged on. Was there poor officiating? Yes......but it was occuring on both sides. This blowout had more to do with the Blackman head coach getting caught up in immature head games, rather than having his team prepared. As for those yelling things, I would agree that if this happened it was wrong. I did however, overhear an adult on the Blackman side dressed like "The Great Pumpkin", yelling at Riverdale players. Now I ask you, is this right? I can only assume that you would say no. Now if we want to throw stones, we would have many targets. Riverdale is not alone in doing something that may be considered a violation of TSSAA rules. They are however, classy enough to handle it the appropriate way.

Congrats to the LW and coach HM on their win vs. BHS. After the turn of events that have gone on between these two schools of late, it's expected to hear fans let lose in the stands. I do hope it remains PG13 for the kids in attendence. It is what it is folks and as usual it was created by good hearted people like you and me. Now we can only sit back and enjoy the fire works when these two programs square off. I will say the timing of this 40 point blow out appeared a little strange but thats just from my observation and my blood does go a little cardinal red. keep up the hard work girls and lets take this all the way to the state tournament!!! GO LADY WARRIORS!

Congrats to the LW and coach HM on their win vs. BHS. After the turn of events that have gone on between these two schools of late, it's expected to hear fans let lose in the stands. I do hope it remains PG13 for the kids in attendence. It is what it is folks and as usual it was created by good hearted people like you and me. Now we can only sit back and enjoy the fire works when these two programs square off. I will say the timing of this 40 point blow out appeared a little strange but thats just from my observation and my blood does go a little cardinal red. keep up the hard work girls and lets take this all the way to the state tournament!!! GO LADY WARRIORS!

I agree and RD its over with. You had a technical mistake and were found wanting. Blackman, if you think you are spotless, there are other seasons and other sports. The growth in the school systems is certainly not orderly. You and every school are at risk. I think OHD is correct. Compete and as usual, these are great people in the stands. Yes they are partison and they are for their school and sometimes they get too much chile or get involved in their Pumpkin dressing too much but they are "good hearted people like you and me". And if you go to see the schools play, many are parents of kids who go to school, who support their school, who help their kids with their home work and extracurricular actvities. These are not thugs on each side of the gym fixing to meet on the floor as it might seem but are, like in every society, people who are passionate about their school and some are excitable. Come on Boro,be passionate but be safe.

By all means. Over and done. Let us remember, the goal after tomorrow night is to have 7AAA teams meeting on the court at Blackman during the next round. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" /> And yes BRf, I don't care what school allegience one might have, if anyone is yelling anything at a kid that is not positive it IS wrong. I have been known to call down parents sitting around me for yelling at the kids. I wish I had been sitting around the "Great Pumpkin", maybe I could have made a difference. Go hard, be safe and good luck all.

I just read the Dnj report of the Riverdale/Blackman game and the quotes from some of the RD players and Coach Chad was revealing. Coach Chad, not a novice to State Tournament play as he went thru the Siegel men State Tournament years as an asst and knows that the first years getting to that level are hard and a mind set for a school. He just insinuated that they were not ready to play and said "They just did not get off of the Bus". That being a fact, Blackman will not be be on that bus again and i would think that they will be ready and will not make that mistake again. Players can be told but as in life, have to live the agony of the moment and they feel bad of not taking advantage of the moment. IMO, they have grown up basketball wise and the results of the Lebanon encounter on Monday will require some soul searching but the real players will show up and so will their character. This means no victory but Coach Hibdon knows what their performance means. The School and players know who they are and what they are there for and will play hard and it will be a good game. The school is ready to support them. I would say this will be a great game.

Next years District changes for schools has been posted on the TSSAA web site and will change the District considerably, Smyrna and Lavergne will be added to the 7AAA rotation of great Schools and we will miss some of the finest shcools who have been with 7AAA for years. Smyrna and lavergne will be added to Blackman, Oakland, Riverdale and Siegel and provide 7AAA with the one of the best attractions and one of the Strongest Districts in the State. It seems to require some more seating in both Smyrna and Lavergne Gyms as they will be the two smallest in the District. but it does allow the Rutherford District with much easier travel and likely some larger crowds to its sporting events. It will also allow students who want to attend games and student/ahtletes traveling, and fans to get home easier for the students to get home work, etc. Those are reasons that 7AAA will be one of the most attractive Districts in the State.