OS vs Wartburg

footballer2008

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First of all to the sunbright supporter, Last year your team was twice the team you have thisyear, and you guys wouldnt light the scoreboard up against Wartburg. Next year, will give you the oppurtunity to showcase the ability you have against the teams you say are the worst in the state.

Second of all to all Wartburg faithful, I hate to break it to you, but your program is not on the up. Yes, you beat Coalfield and your losing streak is now only 7, but you have failed to score in what 5 weeks? And the "oh our region is the toughest in the state" EXCUSE doesnt count here. You should be able to at least score once even if it is late. Your offense was clickin early in the year, but its the exact offense it was then. You guys have not improved at all. IMO you cannot run the spread offense if you cannot throw the ball. And You guys cannot throw the football at all. As for the coaches, they seem to be really good guys. But they are not getting the right talent on the field. There are plenty of athletes at Wartburg, Go watch a basketball game. And as for the athletes they have, They are not utilizing them. and now to the lineman. They have one, maybe two decent lineman. Friday Night they were shoved at will on both sides of the ball. ON offense they couldn't block anyone, and on defense they couldnt stay within 5 yards of the line of scrimmage. They were getting Drivin back. But I do admit the Bobcats played their game of the year. They played smart football, and appeared to have the desire to win I have failed to see them have this year.

You guys can debate what I said, You can say things are completely different. But until I see it translate into W's (or at least a competive game for four quarters) on friday night I'm not going to believe it.

First of all to the sunbright supporter, Last year your team was twice the team you have thisyear, and you guys wouldnt light the scoreboard up against Wartburg. Next year, will give you the oppurtunity to showcase the ability you have against the teams you say are the worst in the state.

Second of all to all Wartburg faithful, I hate to break it to you, but your program is not on the up. Yes, you beat Coalfield and your losing streak is now only 7, but you have failed to score in what 5 weeks? And the "oh our region is the toughest in the state" EXCUSE doesnt count here. You should be able to at least score once even if it is late. Your offense was clickin early in the year, but its the exact offense it was then. You guys have not improved at all. IMO you cannot run the spread offense if you cannot throw the ball. And You guys cannot throw the football at all. As for the coaches, they seem to be really good guys. But they are not getting the right talent on the field. There are plenty of athletes at Wartburg, Go watch a basketball game. And as for the athletes they have, They are not utilizing them. and now to the lineman. They have one, maybe two decent lineman. Friday Night they were shoved at will on both sides of the ball. ON offense they couldn't block anyone, and on defense they couldnt stay within 5 yards of the line of scrimmage. They were getting Drivin back. But I do admit the Bobcats played their game of the year. They played smart football, and appeared to have the desire to win I have failed to see them have this year.

You guys can debate what I said, You can say things are completely different. But until I see it translate into W's (or at least a competive game for four quarters) on friday night I'm not going to believe it.

Well Bitter, let me respond as someone who seen alot of Wartburg Oliver Springs games. This game in the rain was not a good one for the Bulldogs. Anyone who was there will agree with that. There were three drives deep into OS territory and the young offense was unable to put it into the endzone. Penalties mostly, but youth and inexperience was the major culprit. That poor offensive line you trashed was composed of 2 sophomores and 3 juniors. All 5 will be back next year. Bigger, Stronger and Better!! The QB you said who couldn't throw is a sophomore. The FB is a junior as well as one of the slot backs. The offense was able to generate more than 200 yards in offense and account for 9 first downs. The OS offense had about the same in offense output and had 10 first downs. Compare that to last year and anyone with an average IQ sees a program moving up. The score board is not showing it now, but the program is better. This offense will return 9 starters. The defense will return 8 starters.

You are right, the Bobcats came out ready to play, played the game of the year and wanted it more than the Bulldog. As for the coaches, they are getting out the players who are willing to comeout and be a part of the football program. Until they can force atheletes, on the team, some will choose not to play. Not a problem with the coaches per se, but a problem with a mindset that has been there a long time. Now if they are not getting the talent to the right spot on the field, you may be right. Go to practice sometime and talk to them about it. You will see that there are only 11 spots they can put people in. Since you have such a keen insight to talent, meet with the coaches. Instead of trashing their work on here, you can share your insights, but you need to know they are busy doing something about the problems, not running off at the keyboard.

If you are an OS person, who cares what you do and don't believe. If you are a Wartburg person, get behind this bunch and help make things better. There are better days to come.

I agree with you getitandgo I was there friday night the young offence moved the ball very well. I think that if wartburg can get some more kids out next year and everyone stand behind them they can be a real good football team. Folks pleace don't get on here and trash these kids they get on here and read this stuff, and to the coaches stay with the spread offence when these young kids 100% get it look out.

I never have understood why kids wont come out and play for a program when they are down and losing. Have the kids ever thought that if they come out and play that they might make their team better? We went through the same thing @ Clinton when we were losing alot of games. We had players quitting and going to other schools to play. If you think you are a pretty good player, then come out and play for your school and make it a better program! Wartburg and O.S are going to get better and everyone just needs to be patient and get behing these kids and coaches and support them. Good luck to both!

I am not a Wartburg fan, nor am I an Oliver Springs fan. Just a spectator at the game friday night due to Senior Night.

I was just mentioning the talent not being in the right places because if you watch them warm-up they have some really quick players that seem to get a meager amount of touches. I mean this in the most polite way possible, but the program cannot go down. I do give you, they have alot of talent coming back next year and should have a very productive year. And I wish them the best of luck.

I wasn't going to say anything about the Wartburg team, but I was expecting alot out of the hype and it has just not translated onto the field. And it is not my place to tell people how to do their jobs. And anyone can see they have been outscored 336-39 up to this point this season where last year they were outscored 331-71 up through 9 games. Anyone that has any clue about numbers can see the program has not improved a whole lot. Not trying to be the bearer of bad news, but the numbers do not lie.

Goose wrote a nice article in the Roane County News today about the game. I know the boys appreciate it. It has been a long year for OS, but this team has played hard from the opening kick-off till the final gun in every game regardless of the score, this team doesn't know the meaning of the word "quit". The boys of OS and Wartburgh should be commended for their efforts this year!

bitterfan I noticed in your post that you said that you are not a fan of wartburg. Was this the first game you have been to? You are right the numbers don't lie, but what they don't tell you is that at one point this season wartburg had 9 or 10 starters on the bench. That will make a big differance most of the time. To any of the wartburg players that read this just keep on working and getting better hit the weights hard this winter and summer and get more of your friends to come out and play and you will have a good season next year!